The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: 2024

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:20 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:15 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:57 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:28 pm Your daughter should be learning Spanish, rather than French. I regret that French was the only foreign language offered in my HS.
Her learning another language has NOTHING to do with the languages in and of themselves. Surprised you don't understand that.
I'm not.
Learning Spanish would be more useful in playing hop scotch in the multi-cultural playgrounds she's likely to encounter.
She is at this very moment on a playground at her school with kids from 53 different countries. Just got the demographics from the school last week at a fundraiser.

Please, by all means, tell me that this isn't giving her a better education.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:34 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:28 pm Your daughter should be learning Spanish, rather than French. I regret that French was the only foreign language offered in my HS.
Her learning another language has NOTHING to do with the languages in and of themselves. Surprised you don't understand that.
I'm not.
Learning Spanish would be more useful in playing hop scotch in the multi-cultural playgrounds she's likely to encounter.
She is at this very moment on a playground at her school with kids from 53 different countries. Just got the demographics from the school last week at a fundraiser.

Will French be more useful to her than Spanish ? You think Spanish is not culturally enriching ?
It exposes one to more cultures, in more places, than French. I speak from personal & professional experience.
...& she can use it daily, locally, beyond her international school playground.
Last edited by old salt on Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:34 pm You are wasting your time & outrage. I feel no need to refute centuries of western culture.
:lol: And there it is. You now openly concede the point that yes, you and your buds have been cramming YOUR view of what culture is in our schools at taxpayer's expense for DECADES, and that you condone, and cheer, the teaching of things other than the three R's.

And that it never once occurred to you until now that that's what those School Dances and sporting events were.....dances and sports that can EASILY be handled by the private sector, without one cent of taxpayer money.

My work is done here.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:39 pm
I'm not.

Will French be more useful to her than Spanish ? You think Spanish is not culturally enriching ?
It exposes one to more cultures, in more places, than French. I speak from personal & professional experience.
Our multiple trips to Quebec and Montreal say otherwise. Same for when I visit my peer distillers this fall in Normandy.

Of course learing Spanish as a second language is culturally enriching, have no argument there.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:48 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:39 pm
I'm not.

Our multiple trips to Quebec and Montreal say otherwise. Same for when I visit my peer distillers this fall in Normandy.

Of course learning Spanish as a second language is culturally enriching, have no argument there.
Which would help her more in participating in our increasingly bilingual culture ?
Which could she now employ daily & locally, beyond her international school playground ?
Which offers the better opportunity to be truly bilingual ?
You're pursuing a dubious cultural ideal.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:59 pm Which would help her more in participating in our increasingly bilingual culture ?
Which could she now employ daily & locally, beyond her international school playground ?
So her family business.... does business in two French speaking Countries, does zero business in Spanish-only speaking countries....and you're telling me I'm "doing it wrong". I guess I was hallucinating when she was talking to accounts in Canada with grace and ease. We should put a stop to that.

....and she's already speaking Spanish at school when she's around kids from the Spanish Program. Same goes for Mandarin.

We could do this in public schools, but can't, because your crew thinks it's "woke" to speak more languages than English, and also think that learning about other cultures other than WASP-America is a no-no. Stick to America.

Wonder if they have "the gays" in Spain? Prolly should stay away from learning that language and culture, just to be safe.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:08 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:59 pm Which would help her more in participating in our increasingly bilingual culture ?
So her family business.... does business in two French speaking Countries, does zero business in Spanish-only speaking countries....and you're telling me I'm "doing it wrong". I guess I was hallucinating when she was talking to accounts in Canada with grace and ease. We should put a stop to that.

....and she's already speaking Spanish at school when she's around kids from the Spanish Program. Same goes for Mandarin.

We could do this in public schools, but can't, because your crew thinks it's "woke" to speak more languages than English, and also think that learning about other cultures other than WASP-America is a no-no. Stick to America.

Wonder if they have "the gays" in Spain? Prolly should stay away from learning that language and culture, just to be safe.
One of my good friends from Business School is at Pepsi Co. France….. Loves to have American ex-pats fluent in French there. He is in Neuilly…..a lovely community…. Old Soldier wouldn’t like Le Marais….
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:01 pm

One of my good friends from Business School is at Pepsi Co. France….. Loves to have American ex-pats fluent in French there. He is in Neuilly…..a lovely community…. Old Soldier wouldn’t like Le Marais….
Sure he would. And he also has no issue with learning French. He's gaslighting again.....
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:06 pm

Sure he would. And he also has no issue with learning French. He's gaslighting again.....
Not gas lighting. I spent considerable time in both France & Quebec. Loved every minute. My attempts to communicate in French were met with polite good humor & elicited patient attempts to assist me. When I tried to learn Spanish, in a non-academic class, I found myself reverting to French words. If you don't use a language regularly, you lose proficiency. In my case, I had, & now have again, an opportunity to use Spanish, if I were more proficient. Not so with French. I'm confident that is the case with most US citizens not residing abroad. It's just a practical matter. Had I been stationed at NATO HQ in Brussels, French might have been useful. Otherwise, my potential duty assignments would have given me more & better options if I had a Spanish language proficiency. That's just the practical reality. If you already have your 3 year old's career path laid out, good for you. Bon Chance.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:25 am

Not gas lighting. I spent considerable time in both France & Quebec. Loved every minute. My attempts to communicate in French were met with polite good humor & elicited patient attempts to assist me. When I tried to learn Spanish, in a non-academic class, I found myself reverting to French words. If you don't use a language regularly, you lose proficiency. In my case, I had, & now have again, an opportunity to use Spanish, if I were more proficient. Not so with French. I'm confident that is the case with most US citizens not residing abroad. It's just a practical matter. Had I been stationed at NATO HQ in Brussels, French might have been useful. Otherwise, my potential duty assignments would have given me more & better options if I had a Spanish language proficiency. That's just the practical reality. If you already have your 3 year old's career path laid out, good for you. Bon Chance.
She's 9., and she likely speaks more Spanish than you can. It's a language immersion school, where multiple languages are spoken on the playground every day.

Her "practical reality" is, and will be, entirely different than yours. Or mine, for that matter. She does all her math and hard science work in two languages. She's getting an education that was entirely unavailable to me and my siblings because Colorado thought, and still thinks, that investing in our children is stupid, and is a commie plot.

When she hits 6th grade, she can opt for a third language. Remains to be seen if she'll choose Spanish or Mandarin.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:07 am

She's 9., and she likely speaks more Spanish than you can. It's a language immersion school, where multiple languages are spoken on the playground every day.

Her "practical reality" is, and will be, entirely different than yours. Or mine, for that matter. She does all her math and hard science work in two languages. She's getting an education that was entirely unavailable to me and my siblings because Colorado thought, and still thinks, that investing in our children is stupid, and is a commie plot.

When she hits 6th grade, she can opt for a third language. Remains to be seen if she'll choose Spanish or Mandarin.
Sounds like a pretty awesome school.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:13 am
a fan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:07 am

Sounds like a pretty awesome school.
It's ridiculous. She's in a class with 12 or so kids....with TWO teachers at all times. If we made every American classroom like hers? Our educational issues for K-12 would evaporate almost overnight.

Nope. Colorado public schools get classes with 30+ kids, just like the majority of American districts.

We'll never learn, and think that taxes are bad.

All I think of is that every year we're missing out on MILLIONS of future surgeons, welders, plumbers, lawyers, doctors, teachers, and worst of all.....entrepreneurs that keep the economic engine running. All because we're too stupid to use our MASSIVE GDP to out-invest every other nation on Earth.

Instead? We CHOOSE to be the best in one category: war. F'ing brilliant. :roll:
DMac

Post by DMac »

So you helpin' her with her homework? ;) :lol:
Can't believe she's 9, sure doesn't feel like that
long ago you announced her coming into the world
to us.
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:03 am So you helpin' her with her homework? ;) :lol:
Can't believe she's 9, sure doesn't feel like that
long ago you announced her coming into the world
to us.
Actually, yes, we do homework together every day! One of my very favorite things in the world, because I spend half the time trying to make her giggle. For example, when she asked me "what's 324 plus 129, Dad?"....and I immediately answered "I think it's four hundred and fifty-squirrel".

Turns out that four hundred and fifty squirrel isn't an actual number. Who knew?

Mom comes in for the French parts.....but when it comes time for the French? My daughter helps ME with the homework. It's fantastic, and empowers her to help her old man.

Wanna hear something funny? I started taking Rosetta Stone a few years ago to try and at least be able to understand some basic sentences. My wife is fluent in French, and so is her Mom and my mom. My Dad? His mom was a K-12 French teacher. So, I'm holding the short straw.

....when my daughter came in once to hear me practice, she laughed and laughed and laughed and said "oh my gosh, Dad, this is PAINFUL to listen to!". Yeah...i'm NOT cut out for the Parisian accent.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, that's fantastic stuff, she lucked into a couple of pretty darn good parents and the right environment. Not many parents who could do that....well done.
Both of my parents were bi-lingual (German....you must speak at least some German too, no?) as were my brother and I as kids (you will forget it if you don't use it). We never sat down and learned it/were taught it though, was more through osmosis and living in Germany (grandmother spoke no English).
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:59 am Wow, that's fantastic stuff, she lucked into a couple of pretty darn good parents and the right environment. Not many parents who could do that....well done.
We're VERY lucky, and we know it. Part of the reason waited so long to get married and have our daughter was that I didn't have two nickels to rub together for our first decade or so in business, and we wanted to wait until we knew we had some free time and money to support a child.

We get wannabe-distillers calling us for advice pretty frequently. When I tell them "are you ready to be the lowest paid person on your payroll for over 10 years?", that usually shuts down the conversation. My brother calls it the "Dream-Crusher" conversation. Folks think that owning a small business consists of gracefully swan-ing around our tasting room to get compliments, before we go home after a 2 hour 'work' day. :lol:
DMac wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:59 am Both of my parents were bi-lingual (German....you must speak at least some German too, no?) as were my brother and I as kids (you will forget it if you don't use it). We never sat down and learned it/were taught it though, was more through osmosis and living in Germany (grandmother spoke no English).
Oh, that's wonderful! Bet the cooking in the Dmac household was to die for!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Indeed it was, and the baking was just ridiculous too. My mom had a typical German brain, precision and exactness (baking), did things right. Father was pretty bright too....I'm not phukked up because I come from bad stock.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:28 pm Indeed it was, and the baking was just ridiculous too. My mom had a typical German brain, precision and exactness (baking), did things right. Father was pretty bright too....I'm not phukked up because I come from bad stock.
Your comment about German precision and exactness define my dad to a tee. He was a tool and die maker who specialized in precision and exactness. Anybody out there that has ever used a micrometer to check for correct tolerance knows how hard it is to get an accurate reading. My dad was also fluent in German. He use to assist in communicating with German POWs. It was amazing the information you could get by being polite and being generous with chocolate and cigarettes.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

A disgrace, among all the other disgraceful toadies:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... nu/678076/

"Yesterday, ABC News’s George Stephanopoulos conducted a skillful and revealing interview with New Hampshire Governor Chris Sununu. Over nine damning minutes, Sununu illustrated how deep into the Republican Party the rot has gone.

The context for the interview is important. Governor Sununu is hardly a MAGA enthusiast. During the 2024 GOP primary, he supported Nikki Haley, and over the past several years, he’s been a harsh critic of Donald Trump. Sununu has referred to him as a “loser,” an “jerk,” and “not a real Republican.” He has said the nation needs to move past the “nonsense and drama” from the former president and that he expects “some kind of guilty verdict” against Trump. “This is serious,” Sununu said last June. “If even half of this stuff is true, he’s in real trouble.”

Most significant, as Stephanopoulos pointed out, five days after January 6, Sununu said, “It is clear that President Trump’s rhetoric and actions contributed to the insurrection at the United States Capitol Building.”

During the interview, Sununu didn’t distance himself from any of his previous comments; in fact, he doubled down on them. He reaffirmed that Trump “absolutely contributed” to the insurrection. “I hate the election denialism of 2020,” Sununu said. And he admitted that he’d be very uncomfortable supporting Trump if he were convicted of a felony. But no matter, Sununu reiterated to Stephanopoulos that he’ll vote for Trump anyway.

“Look, nobody should be shocked that the Republican governor is supporting the Republican president,” Sununu said.

It’s worth examining the reasons Sununu cited to justify his support for Trump. The main one, according to the New Hampshire governor, is “how bad Biden has become as president.” Sununu cited two issues specifically: inflation, which is “crushing people,” and the chaos at the southern border.

Let’s take those issues in reverse order. Any fair-minded assessment would conclude that Joe Biden has been a failure on border security—crossings at the southern border are higher than ever—and that the president is rightfully paying a political price for it. His record in this respect is worse than Trump’s.

But Trump’s record is hardly impressive. He never got close to building the wall he promised, and fewer people who were illegally in America were deported during the Trump presidency than during the Obama presidency. Illegal border crossings, as measured by apprehensions at the southwest border, were nearly 15 percent higher in Trump’s final year in office than in the last full year of Barack Obama’s term—when Trump called the border “broken.” Illegal immigration has bedeviled every modern American president.

More incriminating is that earlier this year, Republicans, at the urging of Trump, sabotaged what would arguably have been the strongest border-security bill ever, legislation supported by Biden. So why did Republicans, who have lacerated Biden for his lax enforcement policies, oppose a bill that included so much of what they demanded? Because they wanted chaos to continue at the southern border, in order to increase Trump’s chances of winning the election. That tells you what the Republican priority is.

As for inflation: During the Biden presidency, it soared to more than 9 percent—inflation was a global crisis, not specific to the United States—but has cooled to about 3.5 percent. (When Trump left office, inflation was less than 2 percent.) America’s inflation rate is now among the lowest in the world. More important, wages are rising faster than prices for ordinary workers, and low-wage workers have experienced dramatic real-wage growth over the past four years and for the first time in decades.

More broadly, the American economy is the best in the world. The United States recovered from the coronavirus pandemic better than any other nation. Interest rates are the highest in decades, but America’s GDP significantly outpaced those of other developed countries in 2023. The economy grew by more than 3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2023, which is higher than the average for the five years preceding the pandemic. Monthly job growth under Biden, even if you exclude “catch up” growth figures in the aftermath of the pandemic, has been record-setting. Trump’s record, pre-pandemic, isn’t close.

In 2023, we saw the highest share of working-age Americans employed in more than two decades, while the Biden administration has overseen more than two years of unemployment below 4 percent, the longest such streak since the late 1960s. At the end of last year, retailers experienced a record-setting holiday season. The stock market recently posted an all-time high; so did domestic oil production. The number of Americans without health insurance has fallen to record lows under Biden. Trump claims that crime “is rampant and out of control like never, ever before.” In fact, violent crime—after surging in the last year of the Trump presidency (largely because of the pandemic)—is declining dramatically. As for abortions, during the Trump presidency, they increased by 8 percent after 30 years of near-constant decline.

Even if Republicans want to insist that Biden’s policies had nothing to do with any of this, even if these positive trends are happening in spite of Biden rather than because of him, America during the Biden presidency is hardly the hellscape that MAGA world says it is and at times seems to be rooting for it to be. On Biden’s watch, for whatever constellation of reasons, a good deal has gone right. And deep down, Trump supporters must know it, even as they wrestle with reality in order to deny it.

So the underlying premise that Sununu and MAGA world rely on to justify their support for Donald Trump—that if Biden wins, “our country is going to be destroyed,” as Trump said during a rally on Saturday—is false. Which raises the question: What is the reason Sununu has rallied to Trump?

It’s impossible to fully know the motivations of others, but it’s reasonable to assume that Sununu wants to maintain his political viability within the Republican Party. He’s undoubtedly aware that to break with Trump would derail his political ambitions. But for Sununu, like so many other Republicans, that partisan loyalty comes at the cost of his integrity.

Chris Sununu is not a true believer, like some in MAGA world. He’s not psychologically unwell, like others. He knows who Trump is, and what the right thing to do is—to declare, as Liz Cheney has done, that she will not vote for Donald Trump under any circumstances.

“I certainly have policy differences with the Biden administration,” she has said. “I know the nation can survive bad policy. We can’t survive a president who is willing to torch the Constitution.”

Donald Trump has shown he’s willing to do that and more. Sununu is pledging fealty to a man who, among other things, attempted to overturn an election, summoned and assembled a violent mob and directed it to march on the Capitol, and encouraged the mob to hang his vice president. He sexually assaulted and defamed a woman, paid hush money to a porn star, and allegedly falsified records to cover up the affair. Trump controlled two entities that were found guilty of 17 counts of criminal tax fraud and falsifying business records. He invited a hostile foreign power (Russia) to interfere in one American election and attempted to extort an allied nation (Ukraine) to interfere in another four years later. He has threatened prosecutors, judges, and the families of judges. And he has been indicted in four separate criminal cases, one of which begins today.

Trump has championed crazed and racist conspiracy theories, dined with avowed anti-Semites, and mocked war heroes, people with handicaps, and the dead. He has swooned over the most brutal dictators in the world, sided with Russian intelligence over American intelligence, abused his pardon power, and said we should terminate the Constitution. He obsessively told his staff to use the FBI and the IRS to go after his critics.

Donald Trump makes Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton look like Boy Scouts.

It’s not all that uncommon for politicians to put party above country, to bend and to break when pressure is applied. Courage is a rare virtue, and tribal loyalties can be extremely powerful. But this is not any other time, and Trump is not any other politician. He is a man of kaleidoscopic corruption. There is virtually nothing he won’t do in order to gain and maintain power. And he telegraphs his intentions at all hours of the day and night.

Given all Trump has done, and given all we know, the claim that Joe Biden—whatever his failures, whatever his limitations, whatever his age—poses a greater threat to the republic than Donald Trump is delusional.

In his new book Finish What We Started: The MAGA Movement’s Ground War to End Democracy, Isaac Arnsdorf reminds us of something that Steve Bannon, who served as a close adviser to Trump and is one of the most influential figures in the MAGA movement, once said: “Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.”

Chris Sununu has now enlisted in that war. What is so discouraging, and so sickening, is how many others in his party have done so as well. They are Trump’s willing accomplices."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”