The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: 2024

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:55 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:51 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:25 am The stakes on women’s health : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0BVeL_jzKE
Powerful aid!

What I do not understand is how the medical field would not already know that a woman carrying a lifeless fetus with no amniotic fluid would not ultimately end in problematic medical/personal complication. Not to mention, the lifeless fetus, essentially deemed her no longer pregnant...so would it have been an abortion by definition?
OB-GYNs in many states are now threatened with loss of license or even jail under the statutes passed. It’s up to the courts to adjudicate whether an abortive procedure is or was legally acceptable and in some states people unrelated to the situation can force an action against the doctors…and they’re organized to do so. Even rewarded for doing so.

Exceptions for the life of the mother puts the onus on the doctor to prove the likelihood of death and there typically aren’t exceptions around viability of a fetus or the risk to future pregnancies. After all, in these people’s mindset, miracles do happen and it’s in God’s hands.

That’s the outcome of Dobbs…and returning it to state legislatures captured by far right extremism.

If not fixed at a federal level, it may take a decade or more of voter outrage to overturn the extremists, with a very real possibility of Gilead-like split, consolidating extremists in a handful of southern states. Migration out by those with wherewithal.

But I think it will not come to the latter as I think we will eventually have a federal return to something akin to Roe based on viability outside of the womb as the floor basic right, with doctors and pregnant woman making those calls at any stage including late stage. Get the government out of the decisions again. But the GOP is going to need to lose a lot of election cycles.
You provided no further argument to my question, other than to say OB/GYN's feel threatened...my argument is the Texas allows medical to make these calls...seems it would apply in this case, based solely off what was presented.

THe Texas Rule still allows for exception.

WHAT IS TEXAS' MEDICAL EXCEPTION?

Texas has banned nearly all abortion since the U.S. Supreme Court last June overturned its landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling, which had guaranteed abortion rights nationwide. Texas' ban includes an exception allowing the procedure if, in a doctor's "reasonable medical judgment," the mother has a "life-threatening condition" related to the pregnancy that puts her at risk of death or "substantial impairment of a major bodily function."
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:57 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:25 am The stakes on women’s health : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0BVeL_jzKE
Powerful aid!

What I do not understand is how the medical field would not already know that a woman carrying a lifeless fetus with no amniotic fluid would not ultimately end in problematic medical/personal complication. Not to mention, the lifeless fetus, essentially deemed her no longer pregnant...so would it have been an abortion by definition?
OB-GYNs in many states are now threatened with loss of license or even jail under the statutes passed. It’s up to the courts to adjudicate whether an abortive procedure is or was legally acceptable and in some states people unrelated to the situation can force an action against the doctors…and they’re organized to do so. Even rewarded for doing so.

Exceptions for the life of the mother puts the onus on the doctor to prove the likelihood of death and there typically aren’t exceptions around viability of a fetus or the risk to future pregnancies. After all, in these people’s mindset, miracles do happen and it’s in God’s hands.

That’s the outcome of Dobbs…and returning it to state legislatures captured by far right extremism.

If not fixed at a federal level, it may take a decade or more of voter outrage to overturn the extremists, with a very real possibility of Gilead-like split, consolidating extremists in a handful of southern states. Migration out by those with wherewithal.

But I think it will not come to the latter as I think we will eventually have a federal return to something akin to Roe based on viability outside of the womb as the floor basic right, with doctors and pregnant woman making those calls at any stage including late stage. Get the government out of the decisions again. But the GOP is going to need to lose a lot of election cycles.
You provided no further argument to my question, other than to say OB/GYN's feel threatened...my argument is the Texas allows medical to make these calls...seems it would apply in this case, based solely off what was presented.

Texas has banned nearly all abortion since the U.S. Supreme Court last June overturned its landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling, which had guaranteed abortion rights nationwide. Texas' ban includes an exception allowing the procedure if, in a doctor's "reasonable medical judgment," the mother has a "life-threatening condition" related to the pregnancy that puts her at risk of death or "substantial impairment of a major bodily function."
Yup, but they don't want to make that call as to what is "reasonable" because of the threat of being sued by an activist group and fined $100k. And certainly won't make a decision quickly. Mom needs to be about to die.

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/17/12198827 ... ortion-ban

The first Court ruled against her and she went out of state.

Texas Supreme Court ultimately ruled in favor of her, but didn't leave it to doctor. Had to go to court.
https://www.texastribune.org/2023/12/07 ... n-lawsuit/

Recent article re what the status is in Texas: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/stat ... 41925.html

More generally, this is what is happening:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... le/2814017
a fan

Post by a fan »

Powerful aid!

YA, my man: this law 100% doesn't put the decision in the doctor's hands.

Who decides what a "reasonable medical judgement" is? A board of Doctors? Nope. The people of Texas decide, together with State Prosecutors.

Would YOU want a simple business decision to have jail as a penalty because a Texas Jury "thinks" you exercised "unreasonable judgement"???

Wait for the first doctor to be put through a prosecution. Then you're putting medical care in the hands of religious zealots...no different than Iran or other lovely countries where religion gets to dictate laws.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:13 pm
Powerful aid!

Yup, but they don't want to make that call as to what is "reasonable" because of the threat of being sued by an activist group and fined $100k. And certainly won't make a decision quickly. Mom needs to be about to die.

Texas Supreme Court ultimately ruled in favor of her, but didn't leave it to doctor. Had to go to court.

Recent article re what the status is in Texas: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/stat ... 41925.html

I understand all that....perfectly well.
I am focusing solely on the Biden ad. My argument was clear, she miscarried, fetus with no heartbeat...at that point, there was nothing to save, other than the wife of potential medical risk. Seems the medical term would no longer be an 'abortion' since there is no 'termination' of life taking place. His ad would have far more standing if he chose your cite, that went to the supreme court....where there was life still in the womb.

Damned shame the fear of legal (and maybe insurance), over common sense, overrules medical judgement.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:35 pm
Powerful aid!

I am focusing solely on the Biden ad. My argument was clear, she miscarried, fetus with no heartbeat...at that point, there was nothing to save, other than the wife of potential medical risk. Seems the medical term would no longer be an 'abortion' since there is no 'termination' of life taking place. His ad would have far more standing if he chose your cite, that went to the supreme court....where there was life still in the womb.

Damned shame the fear of legal (and maybe insurance), over common sense, overrules medical judgement.
Tell that to the Republican elected officials creating this mess.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:35 pm
Powerful aid!

I disagree. This hesitancy to act is directly due to the Dobbs decision and Texas legislature.

As a fan points out, what you say is a rational and correct, the doctors undoubtedly thought so too, and yet they delayed action so as to get confirmation and support given the explicit threats of litigation in Texas. And that's the pattern, given the law and given the threats.

It seems crazy to the rational, but unless this is the doctor's and woman's call solely together, or solely the woman's, as to what is "reasonable", not courts and right wing activists and politicians, these delays will occur over and over and over again.

Meanwhile, any delay expands risk dramatically...sometimes you get lucky and delay doesn't cause any damage...it did this time.

Note, it wasn't that the medical judgment wasn't clear and defensible, it's that a doctor can go to jail, face a fine, lose license if some right wing politician or judge says they disagree...not other doctors, zealots.

Dobbs was a terrible decision and directly leads to these outcomes given the capture of state legislatures by zealots. It was highly predictable. But the zealots cheered.

Expect lots of such ads as these situations are occurring in every state with draconian abortion laws that criminalize medical procedures.

The GOP deserves to lose election after election until we get women's reproductive rights restored. That obviously means that Trump needs to lose, The Dems need to win both House and Senate, or these legislatures in these states need to be flipped or direct voting prevails in all.

Note that there are a whole lot of Republican and Independent women and many men who are personally opposed to abortion and would like to see abortions decline, but are appalled by this decision and the overreach of zealots. Some of them are going to vote D to correct this problem as their representatives are not budging otherwise.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:58 pm
Note that there are a whole lot of Republican and Independent women and many men who are personally opposed to abortion and would like to see abortions decline, but are appalled by this decision and the overreach of zealots. Some of them are going to vote D to correct this problem as their representatives are not budging otherwise.
This is where I have a SERIOUS problem with the zealots:

Where the F are the preventative measures from this crowd? Where's the Sex Ed? Free contraception?

It says EVERYTHING that they're not doing those things. It tells their fellow Americans that they don't REALLY care about abortions. And every time I ask this of the prolifers on the board? They immediately bail from the conversation, knowing that they don't have an answer as to why birth control isn't free in these States where the Draconian laws are being passed.

And that's pretty infuriating.

We had a trial plan here in Colorado giving away birth control of all sorts. Anyone wanna guess what happened to abortion numbers? :roll:

And yet the R's came along, and killed the program. Which, to me, is disgusting and inexcusable.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:38 pm

Where the F are the preventative measures from this crowd? Where's the Sex Ed? Free contraception?

It says EVERYTHING that they're not doing those things. It tells their fellow Americans that they don't REALLY care about abortions. And every time I ask this of the prolifers on the board? They immediately bail from the conversation, knowing that they don't have an answer as to why birth control isn't free in these States where the Draconian laws are being passed.

We had a trial plan here in Colorado giving away birth control of all sorts. Anyone wanna guess what happened to abortion numbers? :roll:

And yet the R's came along, and killed the program. Which, to me, is disgusting and inexcusable.
Yup, but recall that they think pre-marital sex is sin and many even think that any contraception is sin, even among married couples. The latter is not so popular to say out loud, but that's the root. Women have a specific purpose, they believe dictated by God, and the preeminent priority in marriage is procreation. Genesis 1:28. And many Bibles are pretty darn explicit: https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Genesis%201%3A28

Jeremiah and Leviticus too.

And this persists quite strongly: https://www.setonmagazine.com/latest-ar ... l-multiply

On the other hand, no problem, theologically, with child brides.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:18 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:38 pm

Yup, but recall that they think pre-marital sex is sin and many even think that any contraception is sin, even among married couples. The latter is not so popular to say out loud, but that's the root. Women have a specific purpose, they believe dictated by God, and the preeminent priority in marriage is procreation. Genesis 1:28. And many Bibles are pretty darn explicit: https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Genesis%201%3A28

Jeremiah and Leviticus too.

And this persists quite strongly: https://www.setonmagazine.com/latest-ar ... l-multiply

On the other hand, no problem, theologically, with child brides.
My response is: so what? A. Birth Control doesn't "eliminate a woman's function". And B. then how come some women are infertile? Answer that one.

The answer, as always, comes down to Job: G*d is in charge of what is and isn't a sin. Not man. If they understood that, they wouldn't EVER inject religion into man's laws.

There is no G8d before me ain't talkin' about Zeus. It's directly addressing humans posing as the word of G*d. It's annoying how many Christians ignore this.

Those who ACTUALLY get that they're not in charge of judgement? Are thing to behold, and really just wonderful people who ACTUALLY work to make the world a better place, yet focus on their own "house", and ignore what others do, letting G*d take care of that. Jesuits get it, for example.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Contraceptives are readily available & inexpensive. The gubmint doesn't need to provide them. Personal responsibility.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

“Yeah. Pull hard on your bootstraps and as an 18 yr old back woods girl don’t just settle for that minimum wage job that’s the only one in your town. No health insurance with that job and your state didn’t expand Medicaid? Move. Besides, I’d rather have to pay the welfare and child support expenses after you do get pregnant and have that kid.”
- 60+ yr old white guy born in suburbia with a middle class silver plated spoon in his mouth who’d have no responsibility for raising a kid because he could leave all the responsibility to the girl he got pregnant.
Last edited by SCLaxAttack on Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:18 am Contraceptives are readily available & inexpensive. The gubmint doesn't need to provide them. Personal responsibility.
Great. Then keep on not providing them, and watch the numbers go up. Works for me. Screw the American working class and poor, as usual. While the rich can, and do, take care of all health care for their kids....... even if that means leaving the State, or back in the day......country, so they can access care that's free in places like France and the UK.

Yet you think this makes entire countries "less personally responsible". Neat-o.

We reduced Colorado Abortions by 50 freaking percent simply by giving out free contraception. But you and your "personal responsibility" crew put an end to that....take a bow.

Smart. Yet again, lets screw the poor and working class instead of dealing with these problems that are easy to fix.

Fine by me. Let your Party, and your way of thinking, flush them down the toilet. Let them eat cake.
Last edited by a fan on Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:51 am “Yeah. Pull hard on your bootstraps and as an 18 yr old back woods girl don’t just settle for that minimum wage job that’s the only one in your town. No health insurance with that job and your state didn’t expand Medicaid? Move.”
- 60+ yr old white guy born in suburbia with a middle class silver plated spoon in his mouth who’d have no responsibility for raising a kid because he could leave all the responsibility to the girl he got pregnant.
Republicans don't have sex, SClax. Oh, and their "Republican-contraception" is magic, and are 100% effective. :roll:

The one thing I'm 100% sure of, is that Pro-life and the "personal responsibility" crusaders have NO CLUE that no form of contraception is 100% effective.

And that, duh, you can get pregnant even with completely "responsible" and protected sex.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:02 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:51 am “Yeah. Pull hard on your bootstraps and as an 18 yr old back woods girl don’t just settle for that minimum wage job that’s the only one in your town. No health insurance with that job and your state didn’t expand Medicaid? Move.”
Republicans don't have sex, SClax. Oh, and their "Republican-contraception" is magic, and are 100% effective. :roll:

The one thing I'm 100% sure of, is that Pro-life and the "personal responsibility" crusaders have NO CLUE that no form of contraception is 100% effective.

And that, duh, you can get pregnant even with completely "responsible" and protected sex.
You commented before I added my last thought. If they didn’t withhold birth control they wouldn’t have the high cost of social welfare programs to complain about, get votes from their non-thinking constituents, and then not fix those problems so they can run again as they complain about the same problem. The big buck expense comes with all the social welfare programs. That’s where they can really rile up their backers.
a fan

Post by a fan »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:36 am

You commented before I added my last thought. If they didn’t withhold birth control they wouldn’t have the high cost of social welfare programs to complain about, get votes from their non-thinking constituents, and then not fix those problems so they can run again as they complain about the same problem. The big buck expense comes with all the social welfare programs. That’s where they can really rile up their backers.
:lol: You're not asking these Americans to actually THINK about where government money goes, and make better choices?

What happens when a poor woman has an unwanted pregnancy? That's right: government assistance.

They think it's stupid to provide .gov funded contraception, yet sooper-smart to blow billions on food stamps and other programs for unwanted kids the poor can't afford to have.

Neat-o. This is the level of thinking you get when you make American education a sh(tshow.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:46 am

:lol: You're not asking these Americans to actually THINK about where government money goes, and make better choices?

What happens when a poor woman has an unwanted pregnancy? That's right: government assistance.

They think it's stupid to provide .gov funded contraception, yet sooper-smart to blow billions on food stamps and other programs for unwanted kids the poor can't afford to have.

Neat-o. This is the level of thinking you get when you make American education a sh(tshow.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Trojan-Her-P ... 30EALw_wcB
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:58 am

Walmart? Neat-o.

Walmart captures over a quarter (25.5%) of SNAP shoppers’ grocery dollars annually, making it by far the top destination for these consumers as inflation continues to impact their spending, according to a recent Numerator scorecard report.

That's 25% of $127 Billion spent on SNAP (food stamps, etc. This is your idea of personal responsibility.....blowing Billions because you think handing out food stamps for unwanted children of the poor is more "responsible" then preventing those pregnancies in the first place.

Sweet. Real high level thinking you're using. Fine by me. Keep spending more taxpayer dollars because we're stupid and can't add and subtract.

https://www.grocerydive.com/news/walmar ... rs/650742/
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:08 am

Walmart? Neat-o.

Walmart captures over a quarter (25.5%) of SNAP shoppers’ grocery dollars annually, making it by far the top destination for these consumers as inflation continues to impact their spending, according to a recent Numerator scorecard report.

That's 25% of $127 Billion spent on SNAP (food stamps, etc. This is your idea of personal responsibility.....blowing Billions because you think handing out food stamps for unwanted children of the poor is more "responsible" then preventing those pregnancies in the first place.

Sweet. Real high level thinking you're using. Fine by me. Keep spending more taxpayer dollars because we're stupid and can't add and subtract.

https://www.grocerydive.com/news/walmar ... rs/650742/
:lol: ...you have a problem with Wakmart selling condoms for 30 cents each.
You think affluent white folks are the only ones who should have kids ?
Coerced prevention has been tried. How'd that work out.
https://repository.uclawsf.edu/cgi/view ... w_quaterly

Why are you ranting about SNAP ? You think it only feeds poor, unwanted kids ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The game of politics....Rep. Ro Khanna side stepping Shanahan...first going directly to CBS.

"He made his pitch to her in a letter he shared with CBS News, though he hadn't yet sent it to Shanahan."

https://x.com/NicoleShanahan/status/1777851649006170616

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ro-khanna- ... step-down/
~Livy
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

So now personal responsibility is for the 135 lb women to stop the 175 lb man in the heat of passion to make sure he puts on the condom she brought. Because condoms are cheap and the states don’t pay for pharmaceutical based control or IUDs more easily managed by the woman who gets stuck with the unwanted child. So glad Hobby Lobby got to pull birth control from their insurance policies.

Or are you saying since a woman can’t get birth control more manageable by her and the issue is the guy’s d!ck so when there’s an unwanted pregnancy the child should be handed over to the man and made his responsibility? Because if you are that might be a great idea! It’ll fix the birth control availability problem real quick!

Return to “POLITICS”