Looking Forward to 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Looking Forward to 2022

Post by Cletus »

The ACC will add another team in 2022, the Pitt Panthers, bringing them to nine conference members. No doubt the playoff format could be altered or they'll leave just one team out or there will be a 1st round bye the way they did for Northwestern this past year.

It will be interesting to see how many of the top teams (BC, North Carolina, Syracuse, Northwestern) have seniors or grad students who will be back due to the extra year granted for covid.

2022 should be a year when everything gets back to normal in the scheduling. We'll have our Big 10 vs ACC regular season battles again. We'll welcome the Ivy League back into the NCAA for added quality to the overall schedule.

BC will have the target on their back all year. It will be interesting to see how they handle wearing the mantle of national champion.

Should be a great year. A ton to look forward to.

hofstrapride1

Re: Looking Forward to 2022

Post by hofstrapride1 »

Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:29 am The ACC will add another team in 2022, the Pitt Panthers, bringing them to nine conference members. No doubt the playoff format could be altered or they'll leave just one team out or there will be a 1st round bye the way they did for Northwestern this past year.

It will be interesting to see how many of the top teams (BC, North Carolina, Syracuse, Northwestern) have seniors or grad students who will be back due to the extra year granted for covid.

2022 should be a year when everything gets back to normal in the scheduling. We'll have our Big 10 vs ACC regular season battles again. We'll welcome the Ivy League back into the NCAA for added quality to the overall schedule.

BC will have the target on their back all year. It will be interesting to see how they handle wearing the mantle of national champion.

Should be a great year. A ton to look forward to.

Is the NCAA Tourney field going to be 29 again or revert back to 26?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

hofstrapride1 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:24 am Is the NCAA Tourney field going to be 29 again or revert back to 26?
I’m guessing they will revert to the previous format.
Cletus

Virginia Tech in 2022

Post by Cletus »

They need a head coach first. I wonder how the search is going. Maybe the biggest, most high profile vacancy available this offseason due to it being in the ACC. It would be interesting to see VT's list of prospective hires. Who ultimately makes the decision on the hire, the AD?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

One thing we can anticipate with some certainty is more and improved broadcast coverage of women's lacrosse. Thanks mostly to outspoken former player and current McDonogh head coach Taylor Cummings and her unvarnished rebukes leveled at the Big 10 and the NCAA/ESPN alliance, coverage of women's lacrosse has improved much in just one year. There is still a lot of work to be done to improve how the sport is showcased on national TV and internet live streams, but 2022 should yield more games and higher quality broadcasts. Only 7 months away...
OuttaNowhereWregget

The Ivy League will be back. 2021 was a season for the decades but it lacked the special something the Ivy brings. Ivy owns 3rd most national titles and is right up there with the best conferences annually. It will be great to have them back though the rosters may look much different from the last time we saw them. How many teams lost players who chose not to wait around for 2022?

OuttaNowhereWregget

As long as the subject is Ivy

Penn's Erin Barry takes it from way downtown; then Gabby Rosenzweig sets up Zoe Belodeau. Princeton's Tess D'Orsi provides shoulder roll.

LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

It's going to take The Ivies about 2-3 years to return to normal. Lest people forget, they lost two seasons due to the Pandemic. Two Entire Seasons! That along with graduation and transfers, does not bode well for The Ancient Eight. The academic reputation of the schools remain, but a strong student-athlete saw that the AE will scuttle athletics to maintain the overall image of the Collective. And that is Academics, first and foremost.
I respect what they did and the sacrifice involved, but the student-athletes paid the price of no competition for 2 seasons. A great number have graduated or moved on to other schools.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:17 pm It's going to take The Ivies about 2-3 years to return to normal. Lest people forget, they lost two seasons due to the Pandemic. Two Entire Seasons! That along with graduation and transfers, does not bode well for The Ancient Eight. The academic reputation of the schools remain, but a strong student-athlete saw that the AE will scuttle athletics to maintain the overall image of the Collective. And that is Academics, first and foremost.
I respect what they did and the sacrifice involved, but the student-athletes paid the price of no competition for 2 seasons. A great number have graduated or moved on to other schools.
On the other hand, a whole bunch of "strong" student-athletes will be competing for their respective Ivy teams this year and the next ...and the next...
OuttaNowhereWregget

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:56 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:17 pm It's going to take The Ivies about 2-3 years to return to normal. Lest people forget, they lost two seasons due to the Pandemic. Two Entire Seasons! That along with graduation and transfers, does not bode well for The Ancient Eight. The academic reputation of the schools remain, but a strong student-athlete saw that the AE will scuttle athletics to maintain the overall image of the Collective. And that is Academics, first and foremost.
On the other hand, a whole bunch of "strong" student-athletes will be competing for their respective Ivy teams this year and the next ...and the next...
And that will be well worth watching and cheering on. Long Live The Ancient Eight!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:43 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:56 am
And that will be well worth watching and cheering on. Long Live The Ancient Eight!
👍
OuttaNowhereWregget

Here’s a chance to see some of the prime recruits in action before they hit the big time in February:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/amp/unde ... Djjv0cNM46
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Not sure about this take….

Princeton had over 15 kids take a gap year I think from memory. Yes, conditioning and game play will need work in the fall but they will be returning Kyla Sears, Sam Fish and Marge Donovan all of whom were previously All-Americans I think. Then add to it the freshman who either enrolled last year or deferred a year (and no one saw play so don’t know talent level) and the incoming this year - looks like 3 players on the Under Armour All-America game.

I imagine Penn is in a similar position and also Dartmouth will have their first full season with Alex Frank as her first season was cut short and then Ivies didn’t play this past year….

They technically only lost one full season, as everyone’s initial season got cut short with COVID. I feel like missing out on playing might make them hungrier but just my take.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

laxlaxlax wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:24 pm

Princeton had over 15 kids take a gap year I think from memory. Yes, conditioning and game play will need work in the fall but they will be returning Kyla Sears, Sam Fish and Marge Donovan all of whom were previously All-Americans I think. Then add to it the freshman who either enrolled last year or deferred a year (and no one saw play so don’t know talent level) and the incoming this year - looks like 3 players on the Under Armour All-America game.

I imagine Penn is in a similar position and also Dartmouth will have their first full season with Alex Frank as her first season was cut short and then Ivies didn’t play this past year….

They technically only lost one full season, as everyone’s initial season got cut short with COVID. I feel like missing out on playing might make them hungrier but just my take.
Sailer definitely read the tealeaves better than her Ivy coaching counterparts, but remember, these teams start late so they only got a comparatively small amount of games in 2020 … Dartmouth played 5. So LG is close when he says they lost 2 seasons. Not to mention the on campus restrictions that meant little or no practice in fall 20 or spring 2021.

The player on Dartmouth with the most GPs is a senior who has 7. That’s right … their most experienced player is a senior who has seen the field in a total of 7 games. Alex Frank is an excellent coach and a most welcome change in Hanover, but not sure how you recover from that in a hurry.

And back to Princeton, they lost a key 2020 recruit to the Terps and Cathy Reese. This is just one such case we know about, but imagine there may be more to come.

It’s gonna be a long walk home for the Ivies.
OuttaNowhereWregget

watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:28 pm

Sailer definitely read the tealeaves better than her Ivy coaching counterparts, but remember, these teams start late so they only got a comparatively small amount of games in 2020 … Dartmouth played 5. So LG is close when he says they lost 2 seasons. Not to mention the on campus restrictions that meant little or no practice in fall 20 or spring 2021.

The player on Dartmouth with the most GPs is a senior who has 7. That’s right … their most experienced player is a senior who has seen the field in a total of 7 games. Alex Frank is an excellent coach and a most welcome change in Hanover, but not sure how you recover from that in a hurry.

And back to Princeton, they lost a key 2020 recruit to the Terps and Cathy Reese. This is just one such case we know about, but imagine there may be more to come.

How far a walk are we talking? What does "normal" look like? The Ivy's haven't truly competed for a national championship in quite some time now. They have become the east coast version of the PAC 12.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:21 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:28 pm

How far a walk are we talking? What does "normal" look like? The Ivy's haven't truly competed for a national championship in quite some time now. They have become the east coast version of the PAC 12.
:roll: :roll:
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

The Ivy League should be banned from D1 athletics and promptly move to D3 so they can commiserate with their NESCAC sisters. I used to root for Princeton but I can no longer take any school in this conference serious. I feel so bad for most of the student athletes.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

livelovelax wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:18 pm The Ivy League should be banned from D1 athletics and promptly move to D3 so they can commiserate with their NESCAC sisters. I used to root for Princeton but I can no longer take any school in this conference serious. I feel so bad for most of the student athletes.

Do not disrespect The Ivies! They did what they thought was best for their students, not just the athletes. The Ivies have never pretended to be about anything but Academics First! You(livelovelax) don't have to like it. I can assume from your comments that your kids do not attend the colleges and universities that make up The Ancient Eight? And that's not a knock, it's a choice.
I also have great respect for the NESCAC and what they do.
OuttaNowhereWregget

livelovelax wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:18 pm The Ivy League should be banned from D1 athletics and promptly move to D3 so they can commiserate with their NESCAC sisters. I used to root for Princeton but I can no longer take any school in this conference serious. I feel so bad for most of the student athletes.
I'm intrigued. Please expound.

As I was saying in another post, the Ivy League hasn't truly challenged for a national title in a while. The last time an Ivy made it to final four weekend was in 2009. A representative typically makes the NCAA quarters but that's been it for over a decade now. Do you think that's by design? Neglect? Redrafting of priorities?
OuttaNowhereWregget

watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:28 pm Sailer definitely read the tealeaves better than her Ivy coaching counterparts, but remember, these teams start late so they only got a comparatively small amount of games in 2020 … Dartmouth played 5. So LG is close when he says they lost 2 seasons. Not to mention the on campus restrictions that meant little or no practice in fall 20 or spring 2021.

I didn't check all the Eight but Columbia and Brown both played 7 games in 2020. I think between 5 and 7 games was the average for the entire NCAA. I don't think the Ivy's qualify as having played considerably less than anyone else in 2020.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”