North Carolina 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: North Carolina 2022

Post by jrn19 »

Over the last 5 years, UNC has 2 NCAA Tournament wins. Rutgers has 1 and Georgetown has 1. Both will have a chance to add to it this year, UNC will not. Doesn't seem to be "not sniffing that achievement" to me.

Yale is far beyond where UNC's been. Yale has 7 NCAA Tournament wins over last 5 years, and has made NCAAs last 6x (15-16-17-18-19-22) they've been able. UNC has missed 3 of last 4x (18, 19, 22.)
Lewisfrederick

Post by Lewisfrederick »

blue angels wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:52 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:15 am
jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:07 am Since 2017, 51-30 (63%), 8-15 ACC record (35%), likely 2 NCAATs out of 5 seasons, 2-2 tournament record. They haven't won an NCAA Tournament game without Chris Gray since that national title season. It's clear there's been a fall-off in results, right as his contract is coming up. In this time, Virginia has won 2 titles, Maryland has been going to F4s every year and won a title, Duke has made 3 F4's in a row. These are UNC's peer programs in terms of resources, talent acquisition, all those things. They've fallen behind them. Now, to a degree, someone has to be the last dog at the bowl. But the results do point to some sort of decline.
Yes. And while UNC clearly hasn’t performed at the same level as Duke, UVa, or Maryland really the last ten years, Breschi has already fallen behind programs like Shay’s Yale, and is also starting to fall behind programs like Brecht’s at Rutgers and Warne’s at Georgetown. These are new-ish trends, so the next couple of years will be critical. But if UNC can’t catch up to these programs with better tournament performances, Breschi should rightly be on the hot seat.
I am no UNC fan but weren’t they in the final 4 last season and weren’t they within 1 goal of making the title game? Please tell me how many wins Rutgers & Georgetown have in the NCAA tournament over the last 5 years? it is absurd to say that either of those teams has come even close to matching the UNC program yet. It is 1 year………. Even Yale is arguable.
UNC hasn’t won a game in the NCAA tournament (outside 2021) since 2016. And even in 2016, UNC was the last at-large bid to make it. We have been a bubble team each year (excluding last year) since 2016. Something seriously needs to change. Not to mention that last year the Ivy League wasn’t playing…
So no, it is not just one year. In fact, UNC has only had one good year since 2016 and that came without the Ivy League playing. If Breschi is extended, UNC will continue to be a bubble team who misses the tournament more than they make it.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

I don’t know whether I’d be more or less surprised when UNC makes the tournament with Breschi on the committee.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Seahawk wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:14 am I don’t know whether I’d be more or less surprised when UNC makes the tournament with Breschi on the committee.
Nothing would shock me, Carc clearly just cares about pleasing his bosses saying no one wants to play ND or Duke. he fails to realize they only look good against other ACC teams. It's sad and not good for the game that they only talk about and promote teams that they televise. I would be real worried if I am Rutgers because they want them out.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Ty Xanders @tyxanders·3m.@UNCMensLacrosse senior attackman Jacob Kelly has entered the NCAA's transfer portal as a grad student, per a source. A captain in 2022, Kelly started 38 career games and posted 91 points on 55g/36a. The lefty ended each of the last two seasons with 20 goals and 10-plus assists.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Kelly would have been top returning offensive player. Hope Dom Pietremala is ready for D1 ball. He could fit into that lefty attack spot nicely.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Nicky Solomon opting to transfer as well.

Not a good sign.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Is this the most major players UNC has had transfer in Breschi’s time there? Galasso did but other than that I can’t really recall many starters or big impact players who have transferred out. Feels rare.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Well, Solomon and Kelly both have their degrees and are looking to go to graduate school. Alex Trippi, Will Bowen, and Brian Cameron did the same thing last year when it wasn't really clear at all that UNC was going to be significantly worse in 2022. I don't think it's really the same as an undergrad leaving,

Maybe they would stay if Carolina had a great season this year and were looking to be just as good next year. Maybe not. Choosing the best graduate program for you has to play a huge part in that decision.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:38 pm Well, Solomon and Kelly both have their degrees and are looking to go to graduate school. Alex Trippi, Will Bowen, and Brian Cameron did the same thing last year when it wasn't really clear at all that UNC was going to be significantly worse in 2022. I don't think it's really the same as an undergrad leaving,

Maybe they would stay if Carolina had a great season this year and were looking to be just as good next year. Maybe not. Choosing the best graduate program for you has to play a huge part in that decision.
Didn’t they also see a goalie transfer to OSU last season?
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Lewisfrederick wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:51 am
jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:07 am Since 2017, 51-30 (63%), 8-15 ACC record (35%), likely 2 NCAATs out of 5 seasons, 2-2 tournament record. They haven't won an NCAA Tournament game without Chris Gray since that national title season. It's clear there's been a fall-off in results, right as his contract is coming up. In this time, Virginia has won 2 titles, Maryland has been going to F4s every year and won a title, Duke has made 3 F4's in a row. These are UNC's peer programs in terms of resources, talent acquisition, all those things. They've fallen behind them. Now, to a degree, someone has to be the last dog at the bowl. But the results do point to some sort of decline.
Yes. And while UNC clearly hasn’t performed at the same level as Duke, UVa, or Maryland really the last ten years, Breschi has already fallen behind programs like Shay’s Yale, and is also starting to fall behind programs like Brecht’s at Rutgers and Warne’s at Georgetown. These are new-ish trends, so the next couple of years will be critical. But if UNC can’t catch up to these programs with better tournament performances, Breschi should rightly be on the hot seat.
I am no UNC fan but weren’t they in the final 4 last season and weren’t they within 1 goal of making the title game? Please tell me how many wins Rutgers & Georgetown have in the NCAA tournament over the last 5 years? it is absurd to say that either of those teams has come even close to matching the UNC program yet. It is 1 year………. Even Yale is arguable.
UNC hasn’t won a game in the NCAA tournament (outside 2021) since 2016. And even in 2016, UNC was the last at-large bid to make it. We have been a bubble team each year (excluding last year) since 2016. Something seriously needs to change. Not to mention that last year the Ivy League wasn’t playing…
So no, it is not just one year. In fact, UNC has only had one good year since 2016 and that came without the Ivy League playing. If Breschi is extended, UNC will continue to be a bubble team who misses the tournament more than they make it.
That's right - I forgot about that and just looked it up. They were down 15-10 with 10 minutes left in their last regular season game vs ND and scored the last 7 goals of the game to win 17-15. Credit to them, they came back with their backs against the wall and went on a hot streak to win it all as an unseeded team. Go back in time and say ND wins that game and they miss the tourney. Is Breschi still there?
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

AreaLax wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:00 pm
10 10 2 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:38 pm Well, Solomon and Kelly both have their degrees and are looking to go to graduate school. Alex Trippi, Will Bowen, and Brian Cameron did the same thing last year when it wasn't really clear at all that UNC was going to be significantly worse in 2022. I don't think it's really the same as an undergrad leaving,

Didn’t they also see a goalie transfer to OSU last season?
Yup. Caton Johnson.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Johnson had lost his job though and was the back-up, not a starter

And then he proceeded to lose his job at Ohio State as well
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

I don't think of a graduate transferring out as a commentary on the program they are leaving. There are a whole lot of factors in deciding whether to play another year, including what educational program you want, where it is available, whether you can get in (I suspect that grad programs are unwilling to relax their standards much), the cost and the likely return on your investment, whether it is realistic to play D-1 lacrosse while earning that degree, and what coach wants you. It is not like free agency, which many posters seem to think.
molo

Post by molo »

Jax goalie?
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

crazyhorse wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:27 pm
Lewisfrederick wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:51 am
That's right - I forgot about that and just looked it up. They were down 15-10 with 10 minutes left in their last regular season game vs ND and scored the last 7 goals of the game to win 17-15. Credit to them, they came back with their backs against the wall and went on a hot streak to win it all as an unseeded team. Go back in time and say ND wins that game and they miss the tourney. Is Breschi still there?
Watch it. You’re getting into Quintvisionism territory.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Ty Xanders@tyxanders·1m Former @UNCMensLacrosse attackman Jacob Kelly will join @HoyasMLacrosse as a grad transfer in 2023, multiple sources confirmed to @Inside_Lacrosse earlier today. A captain this spring, the lefty had 55 goals and 36 assists during his career and started 38 games for the Heels.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:24 pm Ty Xanders@tyxanders·1m Former @UNCMensLacrosse attackman Jacob Kelly will join @HoyasMLacrosse as a grad transfer in 2023, multiple sources confirmed to @Inside_Lacrosse earlier today. A captain this spring, the lefty had 55 goals and 36 assists during his career and started 38 games for the Heels.
Good player. But, a hollow 55 goals. Seemed like a complimentary player @ NC. This goes back to Grey. Great player but the entire team sat around and watched one player most of the time.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:04 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:24 pm Ty Xanders@tyxanders·1m Former @UNCMensLacrosse attackman Jacob Kelly will join @HoyasMLacrosse as a grad transfer in 2023, multiple sources confirmed to @Inside_Lacrosse earlier today. A captain this spring, the lefty had 55 goals and 36 assists during his career and started 38 games for the Heels.
Good player. But, a hollow 55 goals. Seemed like a complimentary player @ NC. This goes back to Grey. Great player but the entire team sat around and watched one player most of the time.
I agree. Same can be said for Solomon as well. Complimented Gray & the midfield in 2021, and then only complimented Gray in 2022. Needed more from Kelly and Solomon given the inexperience of the midfield this year and neither really stepped up to a higher level.

On another note, has anyone seen Sean Goldsmith play? Does anyone think he has a decent chance at playing time at attack next year? Saw the Mercer-High Point game from 4/30 and he reminds me a lot of Luke Goldstock (maybe a little less outside shooting range.)
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

I think he is a reach to really play and play well. Simple case of being the best player on a bad team and having a ton of opportunities given your way. he wouldnt get that many points against ACC caliber players

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”