**********The MIAA "A" Conference 2022**************

HS Boys Lacrosse
head73

Re: **********The MIAA "A" Conference 2022**************

Post by head73 »

I think in 2013, Loyola was the 6th seed. They may have needed another team's loss to get to #6.
noonan5

Post by noonan5 »

Terps22 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:57 am Congrats to the McDonogh Eagles on winning the MIAA Championship last night.

I know Millon & Co get a ton of attention but McDonogh's close defensive play was phenomenal last night.

When was the last time a 5th seed heading into the playoffs won the title?
Last year
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

head73 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:17 pm I think in 2013, Loyola was the 6th seed. They may have needed another team's loss to get to #6.
Yes. I think Mt. St. Joe beating St. Mary's(I think it was them) got Loyola in that year.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:16 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:29 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:43 pm
Terps22 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:48 pm What was up with Loyola and Gilman this Spring, both programs really seemed to have struggled this year. The Dons only managed to have 6 Ws this season, when was the last time that happened? Gilman drops its final 5 games of the season under a new head coach were the Hounds a super young squad?

On a different note, really impressed with St. Pauls over the course of this Spring. They don't graduate too much and could be a dark horse next Spring in the league.
Yes, and pipeline is not yet full at Gilman. So, multiple years away, most likely. Gonna take some time to rebuild the program back to championship contention, especially with what some of the other schools are doing.

That said, I expect the rebuild to happen eventually.
I think part of the reason for Gilman's issues is that they have had three different head coaches in the past four years. Hard to get a good flow going when that is the case.
yes, fingers crossed that this coach will rebuild the pipeline, pulling that couple extra players per year that hadn't had any Gilman legacy background, plus reassure the legacy folks that Gilman's coming back...that's a middle school decision and 9th grade decision, only one or two later transfers...but do need the buzz to be that Gilman's coming back into the hunt.

I have a hunch he will be successful in doing so.
I agree they are a few years out.
As noted, Gilman had unfortunate turnover at the HC position and it’s led to their middle school pipeline being raided- Regardless of what the MIAA rules say about middle school recruiting. And unfortunately, at this point, the admin is not rushing to aid lacrosse players. So legacy kids are all they are getting. On the bright side, the coach in place is a good one. But coming from a public school, he’s never had to recruit before. So there might be a learning curve.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:38 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:16 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:29 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:43 pm
Terps22 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:48 pm What was up with Loyola and Gilman this Spring, both programs really seemed to have struggled this year. The Dons only managed to have 6 Ws this season, when was the last time that happened? Gilman drops its final 5 games of the season under a new head coach were the Hounds a super young squad?

On a different note, really impressed with St. Pauls over the course of this Spring. They don't graduate too much and could be a dark horse next Spring in the league.
Yes, and pipeline is not yet full at Gilman. So, multiple years away, most likely. Gonna take some time to rebuild the program back to championship contention, especially with what some of the other schools are doing.

That said, I expect the rebuild to happen eventually.
I think part of the reason for Gilman's issues is that they have had three different head coaches in the past four years. Hard to get a good flow going when that is the case.
yes, fingers crossed that this coach will rebuild the pipeline, pulling that couple extra players per year that hadn't had any Gilman legacy background, plus reassure the legacy folks that Gilman's coming back...that's a middle school decision and 9th grade decision, only one or two later transfers...but do need the buzz to be that Gilman's coming back into the hunt.

I have a hunch he will be successful in doing so.
I agree they are a few years out.
As noted, Gilman had unfortunate turnover at the HC position and it’s led to their middle school pipeline being raided- Regardless of what the MIAA rules say about middle school recruiting. And unfortunately, at this point, the admin is not rushing to aid lacrosse players. So legacy kids are all they are getting. On the bright side, the coach in place is a good one. But coming from a public school, he’s never had to recruit before. So there might be a learning curve.
My understanding is that Tony Incontrera is very involved in the youth leagues (has young kids), club scene (Crabs), so will be actively communicating that the door is open. And AC Owen Daly is now on the Admissions team which provides some direct communication of that openness when athlete parents are looking at Gilman.

Incontrera is a prototypical teacher-coach; hopefully will be a great fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P-uDIlBNLw
Interviewer Jake Scott is an assistant, played with my son at Harvard. Jake will be a prototypical teacher-coach as well.
http://www.gilmannews.com/currentyear/2 ... ilx13wrusk
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Awesome. Nothing but impressed with the new coach in every possible way. A real great demeanor and fantastic communicator. He is exactly what you say- Definitely in the mold of those great teacher/coaches the league has seen over the years. With some kids of my own at the MS level in Baltimore clubs, it was disheartening seeing some real good kids in their MS end up elsewhere. But I put that on the offending programs and a cut-throat league, not Gilman.
Eaglelaxer16

Post by Eaglelaxer16 »

Any predictions for all MIAA selections? When will they be announced?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

kind of funny. And I don't see a flag. https://twitter.com/PeaceLaxBlog/status ... 7732013057
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MD HS BOYS: Yesterday, #16 Winston Churchill became a State Champion by beating #19 Broadneck 15-7 and.. These are the MD HS Boys Final Rankings:

1 St Johns College HS 100% 14 2 1
2 McDonogh 64% 1 1 11
3 St Marys Annapolis 83% 11 2 5
4 Bullis 89% 10 8 4
5 Archbishop Spalding 67% 3 6 6
6 Boys Latin 69% 8 5 10
7 Gonzaga 69% 17 10 8
8 Calvert Hall 64% 4 2 20
9 St Pauls 55% 4 7 16

https://fanlax.com/2022/05/27/md-hs-boy ... -rankings/
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15