WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

First rebuilding year complete.

Onward.
SocHop72

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by SocHop72 »

I just wanted to be a part of this from the beginning.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Excelsior :D
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

The nominal numbers are this:
Current roster: 56
Eligibilty Gone: 1
Incoming Class: 12
Incoming Transfers (So Far): 1
Potential Pool for 2022: 68

Break Down by Class - (Unable to really distinguish injured players except for a couple so I am ignoring that issue) Contributions measured by playing time - not necessarily a qualitative assessment of play

Seniors - 14
Significant Contributions: Reinson/DeSimone/Delaney/Lyne/Shure/Baskin/Keogh/Kirson
DNP or minor contributions: Fernandez/DiPietro/Shilling/Darby/Prouty/W. Narewski

Junior - 10
Significant Contributions: Mabbett/Zinn/McManus/Epstein/Lilly/M. Narewski/Degnon
DNP or Minor Contributions: Calnan/Hawley/Keneally

Sophomore - 15
Significant Contributions: Marcille/Angelus/Szuluk/Jaronski
Minor/Token Contributions: Ruddy/Rahm/Krampf
DNP: Glassmeyer/Handsor/Cohen/Fox/Burnett/Rodgers/Uphoff/Brunner

Freshmen - 16 (Kaden Brothers we hardly knew ye - I didn't remember he disappeared from the roster)
Significant Contributions: Grimes/Martin/Dunn/McDermott/Peshko/Deans
Minor/Token Contributions: Smith/Raposo
DNP: Ladrido/Ince/Chauvette/Arteaga/Evans/Bauer/Tallino/Harkin

Incoming Class by Position - 12 :
2 LSMs: Bowler/Kaufman
2 D: Todaro/Whitaker
2 A: Wong/Charboneau
1 G: Webb
1 FO: Callahan
4 M: Hicks/Teachout/Phillips/Reen

Transfer - 1
G - Versfeld

Can't have 68 - not everybody is going to want to stay but buckle up - it's going to be a wild few months until late August/early September
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Sun May 09, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

51, bravo. And, JHU, bravo. Poised...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Nice rundown 51.

My guess—and this is only a guess—is that about 5-6 of the 14 eligible seniors return. Should find out more about them soon. We know Fernandez plans to provided no recovery setbacks, and that's essentially like getting a new transfer all over again.

So we're down to 62-63. I think another 6-7 of the rising sophomores and juniors will quietly disappear from the roster over the summer and into the fall. That'd put us at 55-57, more manageable but still a few more than you'd like. That, of course, is before we account for any incoming transfers. So if we get 1-3 of those then I think you might see a couple more vanish into the night to make up the difference.

The fact of the matter is rosters across the sport are going to remain large for the next few years until the last Covid players finish their extra eligibility. So I don't think it's going to get significantly below the mid 50s until then.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

To do list
admin
-end the btn+ nonsense. because of notre dame hockey they're not going to give us $, but we shouldn't be paying for this
-move 2 rivalry games to april where the school and espn can soak in the ticket revenue/ratings. the crowds for ohio state, rutgers, michigan penn state won't change much from moving 2 of them to march. but uva/cuse/navy/loyola will.
-put navy/uva back on the schedule
-add more social media, weekly podcast w/lax alumni talking about their hopkins story, alumni championship game watch. as goodell has tried to do w/nfl put the team front and center year round
PM-He, grant jr, jameson need to be a big part of freshman orientation like Brody used to be helping regular students move in. they need to offer coach led tours for general student body, hopkins employees of the clc next fall, and find other ways to reintegrate the students, community into the program. this is the most diverse student body in school history and they need to feel a part of this. and no 20-30 hours of this isn't going to keep us from beating cuse
-make a big push to get crowds for fall ball games
-bring lyne, connor, delaney, fernandez, reinson back
-explore transfer market for close d, midfield, fogo, attack
-knock about 10 freshmen/sophs off the roster
-figure out williams attack spot replacement
-rebuild the defense
-add another goalie
-restore epstein to aa status
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Again - what is not totally clear is the injury situation and how that impacted 2021 but the first couple of questions that come to my mind are:
- Obviously the COVID issue and lack of fall/limited practices is an overarching factor but the fact remains that 52% of your underclassmen NEVER saw the field and those 16 players comprise 28% of your current roster. And another 5 barely got to run around for a few minutes - so that has be a questionmark heading into this period
- What now to do with Kirson? Maybe he will make the choice for you who knows - but you (as in the current staff) brought him in - while it's easier to say goodbye to Darby and keep 4 if he wants to stay - you have to say that 40% over 8.75 quarters of work is a good sample
- All things being equal would I want Reinson/Delaney and Lyne back? Yes, Yes I would. BUT - is that the best thing for the future of the program? That could mean that Ruddy/Rodgers/Smith and Todaro all likely sit on their keisters during games in '22.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Sun May 09, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:08 am To do list
admin
-end the btn+ nonsense. because of notre dame hockey they're not going to give us $, but we shouldn't be paying for this
-move 2 rivalry games to april where the school and espn can soak in the ticket revenue/ratings. the crowds for ohio state, rutgers, michigan penn state won't change much from moving 2 of them to march. but uva/cuse/navy/loyola will.
-put navy/uva back on the schedule
-add more social media, weekly podcast w/lax alumni talking about their hopkins story, alumni championship game watch. as goodell has tried to do w/nfl put the team front and center year round
PM-He, grant jr, jameson need to be a big part of freshman orientation like Brody used to be helping regular students move in. they need to offer coach led tours for general student body, hopkins employees of the clc next fall, and find other ways to reintegrate the students, community into the program. this is the most diverse student body in school history and they need to feel a part of this. and no 20-30 hours of this isn't going to keep us from beating cuse
-make a big push to get crowds for fall ball games
-bring lyne, connor, delaney, fernandez, reinson back
-explore transfer market for close d, midfield, fogo, attack
-knock about 10 freshmen/sophs off the roster
-figure out williams attack spot replacement
-rebuild the defense
-add another goalie
-restore epstein to aa status
There is actually - on some level - some of this that I agree with but others I don't know where you're coming from

On the admin side - the BIG probably wouldn't even take a phone call from Baker. THEY REALLY DON'T CARE WHAT WE THINK. What they know is that a bunch of Hopkins yahoos will give them $15 a month to watch 2 or 3 games so that $30 per person is better than $0 dollars per person. As far as the schedule - The BIG is going to be all April - get over it. Navy/UVA are longstanding rivalries - all for it
- I do agree there needs to be thought given - and not token thought - as to how the lacrosse team can be better integrated into the school and how student and overall fan level at the games can be increased - with TV/streaming/social media/diversity of the student body/popularity of the game at the youth level and all youth sports keeping dads and moms away - it's going to be an uphill climb
- Fall ball - ehh - you might not even be playing at Homewood - not worried about that one
- I think Fernandez is coming back - he's not in the worrisome category - still has 2 years
- Rebuild the defense? Puzzled here - you want Lyne/Reinson/Delaney back - what needs to be rebuilt?
- You want another goalie besides Marcille/Webb/Versfeld - and possibly even Kirson/Darby - Are you going to Iowa and try to get them in the girls 6v6 basketball? I understand it seems Darby would be high on the list of a senior given the arm around the shoulder as you take away his Cordish Center access card but you don't need more than 3 goalies - if you are down to your 4th goalie because of injury well bad luck for you
- I am sure Epstein would like that - and I am sure because of his little odyssey throughout the second half of the season there will be a myriad of discussion points around him. He certainly seemed very fired up to play last night.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:26 am Again - what is not totally clear is the injury situation and how that impacted 2021 but the first couple of questions that come to my mind are:
- Obviously the COVID issue and lack of fall/limited practices is an overarching factor but the fact remains that 52% of your underclassmen NEVER saw the field and those 16 players comprise 28% of your current roster. And another 5 barely got to run around for a few minutes - so that has be a questionmark heading into this period
- What now to do with Kirson? Maybe he will make the choise for you who knows - but you (as in the current staff) brought him in - while it's easier to say goodbye to Darby and keep 4 if he wants to stay - you have to say that 40% over 8.75 quarters of work is a good sample
- All things being equal would I want Reinson/Delaney and Lyne back? Yes, Yes I would. BUT - is that the best thing for the future of the program? That could mean that Ruddy/Rodgers/Smith and Todaro all likely sit on their keisters during games in '22.
Sharpie lineup
attack Epstein
midfield degnon angelus
midfield 2 peshko/mcdermott/grimes
fogo-narewski/dunn
ssdm martin/jaronski/lilly/zinn
defense mcmanus
goalie marcille

thats 2-4 attack spots
2-3 midfield spots
4-5 defense spots
the entire lsm position
maybe another goalie

question do you fill them w/srs who come back, kids they like in house, or transfers
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:08 am -restore epstein to aa status
agree whole-heartedly. there was a point towards the end of the game when it was crunch time that joey was going to goal vs. his d-man and... He stopped to look at his stick. one could say, He was having stick issues! So what?! And this may very well be true but... It didn't look that way. It looked like something was off between his ears. Something that could be helped.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Chauvette was supposed to play this year, though I heard he suffered an upper body injury and was in a sling for a good portion of the season. He is someone to keep an eye on next year assuming full health.

If DeSimone doesn't return, I think you're going to see two of Peshko-McDermott-Grimes bump down to attack to play with Epstein. Maybe Angelus. Degnon could also be an option to slide into the Williams role.

Could see something like this:

Option A (yes DeSo): DeSo at X, Epstein on righty wing, Grimes/Degnon/Chauvette on lefty wing
Option B (no DeSo): Epstein at X, Peshko/McDermott/Angelus on righty wing, Grimes/Degnon/Chauvette on lefty wing
Option C (no DeSo): McDermott at X, Epstein on righty wing, Grimes/Degnon/Chauvette on lefty wing

Maybe one of the incoming freshmen slot in there—don't know enough about em to make that prediction this early. Also this of course assumes no high-impact attack transfers.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OK - I know I am going to get barbequed by my favorite Hopkins poster but the goalie position at Hopkins is likely a very open competition. If you were an alien from another planet that knew lacrosse but didn't know anything about planet Earth's teams and you were presented with the following facts:
- Over 4.25 games - overall save percentage of 47%
- Save percentage in the two full games against your biggest rival - 36% (14 saves 25 goals)
- 3 saves total (21%) in conference title game where defense in front of you only allowed 14 shots on goal (ignoring empty netter)

Your conclusion could be well... what? This of course ignores the timing of some of the saves he did make and the energy and teamwork he brings to the position but the cold hard cheese of the matter is - Hopkins cannot live with 47% - 47% is Darby/Turnbaugh/Logan/Kirson territory

Look - let me be Colonel Jessup CRYSTAL CLEAR
- I am a big Tim Marcille fan - more than fumblenuts will ever know
- No one works harder than Tim Marcille
- No one is a better teammate than Tim Marcille
- Tim Marcille is as smart as they come - he apparently wants to be a doctor
- He played very well against Penn State and Rutgers

However, this narrative that he and he alone changed the course of the season is simply untrue. And the body of work has not locked up the goalie position for the next 2 or 3 years YET. I hope it will - it's a reasonable position to say that more experience with the defense and more confidence he can be a quality starting goalie but don't think Sgt. Friday and Win one for the Gibber are showing up for laughs.

And again - this is not born out of a prejudice against smaller goalies. As many have pointed out - Quint is not tall. Matt Russell has be among the top goalies I have ever seen play. Hell - Piggy - the best I ever saw IMO - is not a huge man. There have been many more. What I said - or meant to say - was that all things being equal I prefer the greater height/filling up more of the cage/longer reach etc. especially since every team is seemingly bringing out 4/5 more guys that clear 95 on the radar gun.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Federico was close to 6ft, if I'm not mistaken...I'm 5'11.5 and I think he was taller than me. I certainly always had that impression playing against him in lax, and later on the squash court etc. Very, very athletic as well.

Equal explosive quickness, length helps in all sorts of ways.
Footwork covers further, reach covers further.

Size has become increasingly helpful as the game has evolved; showing less white space has always been a plus...assuming you can move that size. But as there are more shooters who can rip it and more shots from closer mid-range, size helps. (none of the physical qualities is more important than the head, though)

Just re-watched a bit of the 1980 Championship, Michael had a really wonderful game, in and out of the goal. The difference that day for sure.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:59 am Chauvette was supposed to play this year, though I heard he suffered an upper body injury and was in a sling for a good portion of the season. He is someone to keep an eye on next year assuming full health.

If DeSimone doesn't return, I think you're going to see two of Peshko-McDermott-Grimes bump down to attack to play with Epstein. Maybe Angelus. Degnon could also be an option to slide into the Williams role.
You finally have multiple threats from the midfield---first time in years----and you want Milliman to drop them down to attack?

Look what happened when they moved DeSimone down. Yep, he had a fine year. But that also made the Hopkins midfield easy to defend because you had zero real threats from up top in the first half of the season. Robbing Peter to pay Paul...and you lost a mess of games.

Milliman moves the freshman middies who can all dodge, cut, and shoot---- up after some seasoning? Totally different team. That's what changed.

Took pressure off the D, kept them more fresh....and they improved as a result.

I'd keep those three players together until it stopped working. But that's me.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Larry Quinn was tall. 2x POY. 2x MVP tourney only played two years because an AA was ahead of him tho he was the better goalie.

Navy probably wins a title if Russell didn’t play the final against Cuse unable to lift his injured arm above his shoulder
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:08 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:59 am Chauvette was supposed to play this year, though I heard he suffered an upper body injury and was in a sling for a good portion of the season. He is someone to keep an eye on next year assuming full health.

You finally have multiple threats from the midfield---first time in years----and you want Milliman to drop them down to attack?

Look what happened when they moved DeSimone down. Yep, he had a fine year. But that also made the Hopkins midfield easy to defend because you had zero real threats from up top in the first half of the season. Robbing Peter to pay Paul...and you lost a mess of games.

Milliman moves the freshman middies who can all dodge, cut, and shoot---- up after some seasoning? Totally different team. That's what changed.

Good thoughts, but I would like to see Grimes move to the third spot on attack (taking the Williams spot) and have McDermott, Peshko, and Degnon form a midfield unit. McDermott is versatile, Peshko can dodge and shoot from the right, and Degnon has a Howitzer from the left.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

a fan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:08 pm

Not necessarily saying what I prefer, just outlining some scenarios that could happen. There will be at least 1 vacancy on attack, 2 if DeSimone leaves, 3 if for some reason Epstein decides he wants a change of scenery (really don't think he will but, it's possible). Freshmen or transfers or current depth could emerge from nowhere to fill those roles but I'm just going off what we know and the team we have now. There are only so many offensive players on the roster who have demonstrated any ability to produce. There might be more waiting in the wings...there might not.

Grimes and McDermott are natural attackmen. Grimes struggled with his shooting a bit this year but if he can nail that down, he'd become a player whom you wouldn't want to ever leave the field. Peshko, I think, will probably stay at midfield, perhaps bumping up to the first line. McDermott is a swiss army knife...they can move him around. Those three freshmen certainly have chemistry and have played well together but I think it would prove to be a longterm mistake to keep them all playing midfield together indefinitely based on a few games.

Those three could very well continue playing together—but as attackmen, not midfielders. Probably not next year though provided Epstein/DeSo return.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:26 pm There are only so many offensive players on the roster who have demonstrated any ability to produce.
It's this exact reasoning I'd use to keep the three freshman on one middie line....it worked, and Milliman spent the whole season trying to find combinations that worked.

Degnon, that Doc, mentioned is the perfect choice to move to attack given the other pieces....his accuracy, to put it politely, goes way down when his feet are moving. Drop him to attack where he can be the 10-15 yard plant-feet-shoot passing option when the other players draw a slide. Keep the kid who can shoot from the outside on the field to keep the D from packing in.

One thing I've learned this season is that the teams without at least two outside shooters struggle mightily. You need them in the shot clock era.

We'll see. I'm sure Milliman will choose what's best.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

a fan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:53 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:26 pm There are only so many offensive players on the roster who have demonstrated any ability to produce.
It's this exact reasoning I'd use to keep the three freshman on one middie line....it worked, and Milliman spent the whole season trying to find combinations that worked.

Degnon, that Doc, mentioned is the perfect choice to move to attack given the other pieces....his accuracy, to put it politely, goes way down when his feet are moving. Drop him to attack where he can be the 10-15 yard plant-feet-shoot passing option when the other players draw a slide. Keep the kid who can shoot from the outside on the field to keep the D from packing in.

One thing I've learned this season is that the teams without at least two outside shooters struggle mightily. You need them in the shot clock era.

We'll see. I'm sure Milliman will choose what's best.
That's fair. I mentioned Degnon as an option to move to attack. I'm quite certain that spot on the left side will be filled either by him or Grimes, with Chauvette being a very dark horse. What happens at X and on the right side is the bigger question if DeSimone does not return.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”