Oscars - Academy Awards

Movies, TV, and Music
Matnum PI

Oscars - Academy Awards

Post by Matnum PI »

Here is the full list of 2021 Oscar nominations:

Best Picture
“The Father” (Sony Pictures Classics)

“Judas and the Black Messiah” (Warner Bros.)

“Mank” (Netflix)

“Minari” (A24)

“Nomadland” (Searchlight Pictures)

“Promising Young Woman” (Focus Features)

“Sound of Metal” (Amazon Studios)

“The Trial of the Chicago 7” (Netflix)

Best Director
Thomas Vinterberg (“Another Round”)

David Fincher (“Mank”)

Lee Isaac Chung (“Minari”)

Chloé Zhao (“Nomadland”)

Emerald Fennell (“Promising Young Woman”)

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Riz Ahmed (“Sound of Metal”)

Chadwick Boseman (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)

Anthony Hopkins (“The Father”)

Gary Oldman (“Mank”)

Steven Yeun (“Minari”)

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Viola Davis (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)

Andra Day (“The United States v. Billie Holiday”)

Vanessa Kirby (“Pieces of a Woman”)

Frances McDormand (“Nomadland”)

Carey Mulligan (“Promising Young Woman”)

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Sacha Baron Cohen (“The Trial of the Chicago 7”)

Daniel Kaluuya (“Judas and the Black Messiah”)

Leslie Odom Jr. (“One Night in Miami”)

Paul Raci (“Sound of Metal”)

Lakeith Stanfield (“Judas and the Black Messiah”)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Maria Bakalova (‘Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”)

Glenn Close (“Hillbilly Elegy”)

Olivia Colman (“The Father”)

Amanda Seyfried (“Mank”)

Yuh-jung Youn (“Minari”)

Best Animated Feature Film
“Onward” (Pixar)

“Over the Moon” (Netflix)

“A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon” (Netflix)

“Soul” (Pixar)

“Wolfwalkers” (Apple TV Plus/GKIDS)

Best Adapted Screenplay
“Borat Subsequent Moviefilm,” Peter Baynham, Sacha Baron Cohen, Jena Friedman, Anthony Hines, Lee Kern, Dan Mazer, Nina Pedrad, Erica Rivinoja, Dan Swimer

“The Father,” Christopher Hampton, Florian Zeller

“Nomadland,” Chloé Zhao

“One Night in Miami,” Kemp Powers

“The White Tiger,” Ramin Bahrani

Best Original Screenplay
“Judas and the Black Messiah,” Will Berson, Shaka King, Keith Lucas, Kenneth Lucas

“Minari,” Lee Isaac Chung

“Promising Young Woman,” Emerald Fennell

“Sound of Metal,” Abraham Marder, Darius Marder, Derek Cianfrance

“The Trial of the Chicago 7,” Aaron Sorkin

Best Original Song
“Fight for You,” (“Judas and the Black Messiah”)

“Hear My Voice,” (“The Trial of the Chicago 7”)

“Húsavík,” (“Eurovision Song Contest”)

“Io Si (Seen),” (“The Life Ahead”)

“Speak Now,” (“One Night in Miami”)

Best Original Score
“Da 5 Bloods,” Terence Blanchard

“Mank,” Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross

“Minari,” Emile Mosseri

“News of the World,” James Newton Howard

“Soul,” Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, Jon Batiste

Best Sound
“Greyhound,” Odin Benitez, Jason King, Christian P. Minkler, Michael Minkler, Jeff Sawyer

“Mank,” Ren Klyce, Jeremy Molod, David Parker, Nathan Nance, Drew Kunin

“News of the World,” John Pritchett, Mike Prestwood Smith, William Miller, Oliver Tarney, Michael Fentum

“Soul,” Coya Elliott, Ren Klyce, David Parker, Vince Caro

“Sound of Metal,” Phillip Bladh, Nicolas Becker, Jaime Baksht, Michelle Couttolenc, Carlos Cortés, Carolina Santana

Best Costume Design
“Emma,” Alexandra Byrne

“Mank,” Trish Summerville

“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom,” Ann Roth

“Mulan,” Bina Daigeler

“Pinocchio,” Massimo Cantini Parrini

Best Animated Short Film
“Burrow” (Disney Plus/Pixar)

“Genius Loci” (Kazak Productions)

“If Anything Happens I Love You” (Netflix)

“Opera” (Beasts and Natives Alike)

“Yes-People” (CAOZ hf. Hólamói)

Best Live Action Short Film
“Feeling Through”

“The Letter Room”

“The Present”

“Two Distant Strangers”

“White Eye”

Best Cinematography
“Judas and the Black Messiah,” Sean Bobbitt

“Mank,” Erik Messerschmidt

“News of the World,” Dariusz Wolski

“Nomadland,” Joshua James Richards

“The Trial of the Chicago 7,” Phedon Papamichael

Best Documentary Feature
“Collective” (Magnolia Pictures and Participant)

“Crip Camp” (Netflix)

“The Mole Agent” (Gravitas Ventures)

“My Octopus Teacher” (Netflix)

“Time” (Amazon Studios)

Best Documentary Short Subject
“Colette” (Time Travel Unlimited)

“A Concerto Is a Conversation” (Breakwater Studios)

“Do Not Split” (Field of Vision)

“Hunger Ward” (MTV Documentary Films)

“A Love Song for Latasha” (Netflix)

Best Film Editing
“The Father,” Yorgos Lamprinos

“Nomadland,” Chloé Zhao

“Promising Young Woman,” Frédéric Thoraval

“Sound of Metal,” Mikkel E.G. Nielsen

“The Trial of the Chicago 7,” Alan Baumgarten

Best International Feature Film
“Another Round” (Denmark)

“Better Days” (Hong Kong)

“Collective” (Romania)

“The Man Who Sold His Skin” (Tunisia)

“Quo Vadis, Aida?”(Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
“Emma,” Marese Langan, Laura Allen, Claudia Stolze

“Hillbilly Elegy,” Eryn Krueger Mekash, Patricia Dehaney, Matthew Mungle

“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom,” Sergio Lopez-Rivera, Mia Neal, Jamika Wilson

“Mank,” Kimberley Spiteri, Gigi Williams, Colleen LaBaff

“Pinocchio,” Dalia Colli, Dalia Colli and Francesco Pegoretti

Best Production Design
“The Father,” Peter Francis, Cathy Featherstone

“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom,” Mark Ricker, Karen O’Hara, Diana Stoughton

“Mank,” Donald Graham Burt, Jan Pascale

“News of the World,” David Crank, Elizabeth Keenan

“Tenet,” Nathan Crowley, Kathy Lucas

Best Visual Effects
“Love and Monsters”

“The Midnight Sky,” Matt Kasmir, Chris Lawrence, Dave Watkins, Max Solomon

“Mulan,” Sean Faden, Anders Langlands, Seth Maury, Steve Ingram

“The One and Only Ivan,” Nick Davis, Greg Fisher, Ben Jones, Santiago Colomo Martinez

“Tenet,” Andrew Jackson, Andrew Lockley, Scott R. Fisher, Mike Chambers
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Oscars - Academy Awards

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Movies I plan to see

“The Father” (Sony Pictures Classics)

“Judas and the Black Messiah” (Warner Bros.)

“Mank” (Netflix)

“Minari” (A24)

“The Trial of the Chicago 7” (Netflix)
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Having Kaluuya and Stanfield as supporting and no lead is insane. I think Stanfield stole the show but they’re going to get the split vote screw job ala occasional sports MVP voting.

And it’s a setup to hand Bozeman the award posthumous which is another reason these awards are just back slapping circle jerks for the Weisnteins, Polanski’s, Alex Baldwin’s and every other abhorrent Hollywood personality who’s selling bs all day and night to the public.

(Edit: nothing against Bozeman but having seen him in a handful of non Black Panther roles like this terrible dirty cop movie 13 Bridges or something like that I don’t see Sidney Poirtier in Bozeman personally, would take John David Washington or Stanfield all day and night over him for most roles)
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:30 am Having Kaluuya and Stanfield as supporting and no lead is insane. I think Stanfield stole the show but they’re going to get the split vote screw job ala occasional sports MVP voting.

And it’s a setup to hand Bozeman the award posthumous which is another reason these awards are just back slapping circle jerks for the Weisnteins, Polanski’s, Alex Baldwin’s and every other abhorrent Hollywood personality who’s selling bs all day and night to the public.

(Edit: nothing against Bozeman but having seen him in a handful of non Black Panther roles like this terrible dirty cop movie 13 Bridges or something like that I don’t see Sidney Poirtier in Bozeman personally, would take John David Washington or Stanfield all day and night over him for most roles)
You called Stanfield a few weeks ago. He's a very good actor. I haven't watched Judas yet but I plan to. Did you see Detroit yet? Katherine Bigelow film. I found it too disturbing probably because I had heard the story over and over for years and knew what was coming.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I thought Sound of Metal was excellent and would love to see:

Best Picture

Caddy Day
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:26 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:30 am Having Kaluuya and Stanfield as supporting and no lead is insane. I think Stanfield stole the show but they’re going to get the split vote screw job ala occasional sports MVP voting.

You called Stanfield a few weeks ago. He's a very good actor. I haven't watched Judas yet but I plan to. Did you see Detroit yet? Katherine Bigelow film. I found it too disturbing probably because I had heard the story over and over for years and knew what was coming.
Between Judas, uncut gems And knives out Stanfield is in my actor man crush club with Daniel Day Lewis, Sam Rockwell, Jonathan Tucker and others (JD Washington could join if he gets a legit director movie like a McDonough) so I’m biased. But was thrown aback that both are supporting and neither is lead. It’s a setup for Bozeman I’m sure.

Still need to watch Detroit. Been staying on shows lately and less movies
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:52 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:26 pm

Between Judas, uncut gems And knives out Stanfield is in my actor man crush club with Daniel Day Lewis, Sam Rockwell, Jonathan Tucker and others (JD Washington could join if he gets a legit director movie like a McDonough) so I’m biased. But was thrown aback that both are supporting and neither is lead. It’s a setup for Bozeman I’m sure.

Still need to watch Detroit. Been staying on shows lately and less movies
I keep forgetting about Knives Out....need to see it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

He plays a straight up detective, completely opposite of Uncut Gems role. That’s what makes him so interesting, have seen him in street hustler role and proper police detective role and bought his effort each time. When you can rock diametric/binary roles and sell it you can act.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:48 pm I thought Sound of Metal was excellent and would love to see:

Best Picture

Was eating lunch when the ear surgery part came on.....

Just my degeneracy but a little ways into his time on the farm I’m thinking “at least he doesn’t have to shove drug balloons up his butt in this situation.”

But I will say anxiety, Riz has acted that struggle well.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:26 pm He plays a straight up detective, completely opposite of Uncut Gems role. That’s what makes him so interesting, have seen him in street hustler role and proper police detective role and bought his effort each time. When you can rock diametric/binary roles and sell it you can act.
Completely believable in Uncut Gems. I forgot it was him. That’s how good he was.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:44 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:26 pm He plays a straight up detective, completely opposite of Uncut Gems role. That’s what makes him so interesting, have seen him in street hustler role and proper police detective role and bought his effort each time. When you can rock diametric/binary roles and sell it you can act.
Completely believable in Uncut Gems. I forgot it was him. That’s how good he was.
I’ve run into guys like that in the city.

Showing the kids Semi Pro tonight, have Detroit set up for tomorrow after kids are in bed because we have a standing St P Day date with this cartoon movie called Song of the Sea (since 2014, son was born in 2012 daughter in 2014).

Watched Sound of Metal, MPI is correct that it’s excellent though I’m not as sold on the girlfriend but it delivers. I can’t quite tell how good Riz Ahmed is as an actor or he just got a perpetual stoic face, but he handles the range of chemically imbalanced Anxiety and related characteristics really well. I’ve trashed things from semi traumas before so that scene is nailed.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:02 pm

Showing the kids Semi Pro tonight, have Detroit set up for tomorrow after kids are in bed because we have a standing St P Day date with this cartoon movie called Song of the Sea (since 2014, son was born in 2012 daughter in 2014).

Watched Sound of Metal, MPI is correct that it’s excellent though I’m not as sold on the girlfriend but it delivers. I can’t quite tell how good Riz Ahmed is as an actor or he just got a perpetual stoic face, but he handles the range of chemically imbalanced Anxiety and related characteristics really well. I’ve trashed things from semi traumas before so that scene is nailed.
Lakeith was so good I thought he was a former bball player but I could not quite put a finger on it. He was authentic.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Garnett was actually decent in that movie too (surprisingly to me-too bad they couldn’t have figured out how to incorporate him dropping a “your wife tastes like honey but Cheerios” line on the movie like he dropped on Carmelo while running back on defense one time...
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:02 pm

Update - Semi Pro I forgot how much sexual and over the top cursing. Can live with the kids hearing a few s**t or whatever since entry drop bombs even in Avengers/MCU stuff but Semi Pro needs to go in the “Old School,Austin Powers, gotta wait a couple more years” bucket.

My daughter loves telling everyone how Happy Gilmore beats up an Alligator. Son rocks around going “shake and bake!” And “mama said foosball is the devil”.
See Martin, Malcolm
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Beautiful Short film. Nominated for Oscar. https://www.netflix.com/watch/81349306
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

2022 Oscar Nominations: The Complete List

Best Picture

Belfast
CODA
Don’t Look Up
Drive My Car
Dune
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
Nightmare Alley
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story

Actor in a Leading Role

Javier Bardem
Benedict Cumberbatch
Andrew Garfield
Will Smith
Denzel Washington

Actress in a Leading Role

Jessica Chastain
Olivia Colman
Penelope Cruz
Nicole Kidman
Kristen Stewart

Actor in a Supporting Role

Cirián Hines
Troy Kotsur
Jesse Plemmons
JK Simmons
Kodi Smit-McPhee

Actress in a Supporting Role

Jessie Buckley
Ariana DeBose
Judi Dench
Kirsten Dunst
Aunjanue Ellis

Directing

Kenneth Branagh
Ryusuke Hamaguchi
Paul Thomas Anderson
Jane Campion
Steven Spielberg

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

CODA
Drive My Car
Dune
The Lost Daughter
The Power of the Dog

Writing (Original Screenplay)

Belfast
Don’t Look Up
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
The Worst Person in the World

Documentary Feature

Ascension
Attica
Flee
Summer of Soul
Writing With Fire

Animated Feature Film

Encanto
Flee
Luca
The Mitchells vs. the Machines
Raya and the Last Dragon

International Feature Film

Drive My Car (Japan)
Flee (Denmark)
The Hand of God (Italy)
Yanna (Buhtan)
The Worst Person in the World (Norway)

Cinematography

Dune
Nightmare Alley
The Power of The Dog
The Tragedy
West Side Story

Film Editing

Don’t Look Up
Dune
King Richard
The Power of the Dog
Tick, Tick…Boom!

Live Action Short Film

Ala Kacchu – Take and Run
The Dress
The Long Goodbye
On My Mind
Please Hold

Animated Short Film

Affairs of the Art
Bestia
Boxballet
Robin Robin
The Windshield Wiper

Documentary Short Subject

Audible
Lead Me Home
The Queen of Basketball
Three Songs of Benazir
When We Were Bullies

Music (Original Score)

Don’t Look Up
Dune
Encanto
Parallel Mothers
The Power of the Dog

Music (Original Song)

Be Alive
Dos Oroguitos
Down to Joy
No Time To Die
Somehow to Do

Production Design

Dune
Nightmare Alley
Power
The Tragedy of Macbeth
West Side Story

Costume Design

Cruella
Cyrano
Dune
Nightmare Alley
West Side Story

Makeup and Hairstyling

Coming 2 America
Cruella
Dune
The Eyes of Tammy Faye
House of Gucci

Sound

Belfast
Dune
No Time To Die
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story

Visual Effects

Dune
Free Guy
No Time To Die
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ohhh my, some fireworks last night!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

1- The Award winners were off. Not all, but a lot. Especially CODA.
2- Amy Schumer was great.
3- The Rock-Smith incident was something else. *Great* Twitter fodder.
Caddy Day
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:18 am ohhh my, some fireworks last night!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Will Smith channeling his inner Rick James

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cYzDFMtKBx4
See Martin, Malcolm