The Biden Department of Justice

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
dislaxxic

The Biden Department of Justice

Post by dislaxxic »

This might become a VERY active thread, right?

It will be a busy four (eight?) years...
Should Garland be confirmed, he will be handed a number of thorny issues, including whether and how to investigate President Donald Trump for episodes of potential obstruction of justice described in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s final report, as well as allegations of tax fraud and other crimes related to Trump’s business dealings.

Citing a longstanding Justice Department legal opinion precluding criminal charges against a sitting president, Mueller did not offer a definitive conclusion on the obstruction charges, although former Attorney General Bill Barr said none of the incidents would have amounted to a crime even in the absence of the opinion. However, the opinion does not preclude prosecution of a former president.

The new attorney general will also face a series of challenges to reorient a department that has taken a decidedly skeptical approach to criminal justice reform efforts and the Black Lives Matter movement. He also will face major challenges in restoring morale at the department, which has seen a number of high-profile staff departures during the Trump years.

As Garland was under consideration as a potential AG pick, he took some unusual steps to seek to remain above ethical reproach. Beginning in early December, he recused from a series of civil and criminal justice cases involving the U.S. government, including appeals related to a string of executions the Trump administration is carrying out in the weeks leading up to the change in administration.

Biden’s pick of Garland carries a benefit for Democrats that may have made him more attractive in light of the expected victory of Democrats in the Georgia Senate runoff races Tuesday: it opens a seat on the D.C. Circuit, which is widely considered the second-most powerful court in the country.

With Democrats likely to win control of the Senate—and with the filibuster for low- and mid-level judicial nominations eliminated in 2013—confirming a successor to Garland should be relatively easy. Some close to Garland thought he was likely to declare senior status soon and open a vacancy on the court during the new administration, regardless of the outcome in Georgia and whether he was tapped for the AG slot.

Garland has an unusually broad base of support among Democratic lawyers in Washington D.C. thanks to a large number of law clerks who have gone on to high-profile jobs at the Justice Department and at prominent law firms.

“Merrick Garland is the perfect choice for this job,” said former Garland clerk Karen Dunn, who also served in the White House Counsel’s Office under Obama and is now a partner at law firm Paul Weiss. “He will restore independence and integrity to the Justice Department, be the people’s lawyer, not the president’s lawyer, and will come in with the respect of the career public servants who advance the cause of justice every day.”
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Re: The Biden Department of Justice

Post by dislaxxic »

By the way, could Don the Con be charged as an accessory to the murder/wrongful death of Officer Brian Sicknick?

Could that be Felony Murder in a local (DC) jurisdiction? What court would hear the case in that event?

Or is this some sort of federal murder crime that AG Garland will have to contend with?

Can Trump pardon himself from a Felony Murder charge???

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
njbill

Post by njbill »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:37 pm By the way, could Don the Con be charged as an accessory to the murder/wrongful death of Officer Brian Sicknick?

Could that be Felony Murder in a local (DC) jurisdiction? What court would hear the case in that event?

Or is this some sort of federal murder crime that AG Garland will have to contend with?

Not exactly sure what the charge would be, but I am pretty sure he could be charged if the facts are there. Seems there is a good case he incited the riot. I would think that anyone killed by a rioter can be linked back to him, legally, as part of felony murder or co-conspirator rules.

I vaguely remember from law school (others can weigh in on this if they know) that he could also be charged with the murder of the woman and perhaps the others depending on the circumstances. But I’m not a criminal law expert. Never practiced criminal law. But the felony murder rule is really broad.

T****’s inciting of the riot largely or entirely occurred on federal property. The riots occurred on federal property. So all associated crimes would be federal crimes. I should know this having worked and practiced in the District for 10 years, but I don’t, which is whether they are also local DC crimes. If only federal, then the US District Court for the District of Columbia would have jurisdiction. If both, the DC Superior Court (the state court equivalent) would also have jurisdiction. As always happens in cases of dual jurisdiction crimes, the jurisdictions reach an agreement as to who prosecutes first. In this situation, I would think the feds would go first.

Definitely are federal crimes here, which Garland would have jurisdiction over.

T**** definitely could (try to) pardon himself for every federal crime. I am not sure if local DC crimes would be considered to be “federal enough” under the pardon clause to allow him to pardon himself for those crimes as well. Of course, I don’t think he can self pardon anyway. I think that would be unconstitutional, but that hasn’t been tested in the courts.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

...and of course, the idea of a POTUS pardoning himself of ACTUAL MURDER has never been adjudicated...

old salt

Post by old salt »

Maybe Biden will nominate Judge Sullivan to fill Garland's old seat.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Nah, he needs to stay in the trial court so he can conduct T****’s trial.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

He'll just en banc again. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:37 pm By the way, could Don the Con be charged as an accessory to the murder/wrongful death of Officer Brian Sicknick?

By the way, could Don the Con be charged as an accessory to the murder/wrongful death of Officer Brian Sicknick?

Good question, IMO he probably should be held liable. It was his mob and they did exactly what he wanted them to do. I think dump is in bigtime doo doo once he leaves Washington.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:20 pm

Not exactly sure what the charge would be, but I am pretty sure he could be charged if the facts are there. Seems there is a good case he incited the riot. I would think that anyone killed by a rioter can be linked back to him, legally, as part of felony murder or co-conspirator rules.

I vaguely remember from law school (others can weigh in on this if they know) that he could also be charged with the murder of the woman and perhaps the others depending on the circumstances. But I’m not a criminal law expert. Never practiced criminal law. But the felony murder rule is really broad.

T****’s inciting of the riot largely or entirely occurred on federal property. The riots occurred on federal property. So all associated crimes would be federal crimes. I should know this having worked and practiced in the District for 10 years, but I don’t, which is whether they are also local DC crimes. If only federal, then the US District Court for the District of Columbia would have jurisdiction. If both, the DC Superior Court (the state court equivalent) would also have jurisdiction. As always happens in cases of dual jurisdiction crimes, the jurisdictions reach an agreement as to who prosecutes first. In this situation, I would think the feds would go first.

Definitely are federal crimes here, which Garland would have jurisdiction over.

T**** definitely could (try to) pardon himself for every federal crime. I am not sure if local DC crimes would be considered to be “federal enough” under the pardon clause to allow him to pardon himself for those crimes as well. Of course, I don’t think he can self pardon anyway. I think that would be unconstitutional, but that hasn’t been tested in the courts.
I would charge him and allow an aggressive prosecutor to make the case. Maybe I have watched too many episodes of Law and Order in my day but it sure as hell is worth a shot IMO.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

In case anyone missed it: Barr: DoJ sufficient to carry out Hunter Biden Investigation, for now:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... probe.html
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:57 pm

Good question, IMO he probably should be held liable. It was his mob and they did exactly what he wanted them to do. I think dump is in bigtime doo doo once he leaves Washington.
I'd think contributory negligence in a wrongful death civil suit by the family would make sense. Post impeachment.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:51 pm

I'd think contributory negligence in a wrongful death civil suit by the family would make sense. Post impeachment.
I think that is a stretch. If it happens it will not bother me one little bit. One thing dump should get use to once he leaves office is spending alot of his time in court when he is not golfing. I have to repeat that i was shocked by a bunch of people claiming to be republicans and wrapped up in the American flag that chose to dishonor their country and everything it stands for.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:23 am

I think that is a stretch. If it happens it will not bother me one little bit. One thing dump should get use to once he leaves office is spending alot of his time in court when he is not golfing. I have to repeat that i was shocked by a bunch of people claiming to be republicans and wrapped up in the American flag that chose to dishonor their country and everything it stands for.
Sure, a stretch. But if he's convicted in the Senate for inciting insurrection, then that relieves a lot of the legal burden of proving that portion...and the cop was killed directly as part of that insurrection. Depends on the family, but it would hurt Trump where he really cares, his bank account. The family could donate the dough if they don't want the blood money, but Trump should be taken to the cleaners on this.

I'm sure there'd be good lawyers lining up to take that case to court.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

I'm not so sure civil action is such a stretch especially now that Trump is out of office. Burden of proof is lower and it's basically about monetary damages and liability. Akin to damages for yelling fire in a crowded theater thus producing a stampede of people which produced injury and death.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:42 pm

I'm not so sure civil action is such a stretch especially now that Trump is out of office. Burden of proof is lower and it's basically about monetary damages and liability. Akin to damages for yelling fire in a crowded theater thus producing a stampede of people which produced injury and death.
I hope they take dump to court. I think a good prosecutor could make the case he is guilty of inciting violence. Seeing dump sitting in a jail cell would be more than appropriate for all of the carnage he has created. Seeing dump being drained of all his money defending himself in court would be icing on the cake.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

MERRICK GARLAND WANTS FORMER FACEBOOK LAWYER TO TOP ANTITRUST DIVISION

There are other candidates. As more of a Progressive, i'd hope they'd move in a different direction at Anti-Trust...although it may not be as simple as that. Good attorneys, pointed in the direction their superiors desire, can be effective at new policy despite prior work relationships...

Meanwhile, there is other good news in this area...

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Well...the DOJ...and lots of federal prosecutors around the country have been darn busy with indictments related to Jan 6...and to white nationalist terrorism, election interference, and the like.

So much to do...

Yesterday's climate announcements included a new division at DOJ focused on environmental justice, something that had been largely quashed these past 4 years.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:51 am Well...the DOJ...and lots of federal prosecutors around the country have been darn busy with indictments related to Jan 6...and to white nationalist terrorism, election interference, and the like.

So much to do...

Yesterday's climate announcements included a new division at DOJ focused on environmental justice, something that had been largely quashed these past 4 years.
Absolutely, environmental justice has been lagging horribly. Last Sunday there was an editorial in our FLP fishwrapper written by planet earth. It was a scathing review at the horrendous lack of environmental justice. Sounds like we could be in store for a major earthquake or a devastating tsunami to get the point across. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:40 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:51 am Well...the DOJ...and lots of federal prosecutors around the country have been darn busy with indictments related to Jan 6...and to white nationalist terrorism, election interference, and the like.

So much to do...

Absolutely, environmental justice has been lagging horribly. Last Sunday there was an editorial in our FLP fishwrapper written by planet earth. It was a scathing review at the horrendous lack of environmental justice. Sounds like we could be in store for a major earthquake or a devastating tsunami to get the point across. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
cradle, I assume you are in favor of prosecuting egregious polluters, right? You fine with the chemical plant dumping in your water system?

Or does "law and order" not include those crimes?

Return to “POLITICS”