New England West 2021

HS Boys Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: New England West 2020

Post by pcowlax »

Speaking of Taft lacrosse, Richiardellis flipping to ND! Huge loss for Penn. Any inside info on reasons beyond teenagers changing their minds? Play with Kavanagh?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Five NLIs for Deerfield and (from a glance at Inside Lacrosse) another five guys going Ivy and two to the NESCAC from the class of 2021. It's always a shocking reminder of the amount of talent on top West 1 rosters when you see it all listed out.
sanelaxparent

Post by sanelaxparent »

The timing of the Ivy League de-commitments the past 2 weeks (after 'likely' letters are issued by Admissions Depts but before ED letters are made official) certainly appear to have academic reasons for the flips. With 1/3 of the classes of 2020 deferring admission this year and joining the pool for 2021 admissions this year is incredibly competitive for admissions. If kids struggled to get the scores Admissions needed - there's not much a coach can do.
3rdPersonPlural

New England West 2021

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Well......2020 was a bust. :roll:

But a new year brings a new season and now there are vaccines and our SPRING sport should be back on the field.

Right?

My Taft Rhinos looked like world beaters playing together as a summer team. So did DA and 'wick is always strong and TP is full of surprises as are those hated boars and........well, this is a tough league to run the table on.
3rdPersonPlural

Re: New England West 2021

SameLaxParent (welcome to our mud pit!) posted this on the 2020 thread, and it is worth consideration:
"The timing of the Ivy League de-commitments the past 2 weeks (after 'likely' letters are issued by Admissions Depts but before ED letters are made official) certainly appear to have academic reasons for the flips.

With 1/3 of the classes of 2020 deferring admission this year and joining the pool for 2021 admissions this year is incredibly competitive for admissions. If kids struggled to get the scores Admissions needed - there's not much a coach can do."
I wonder if some 2020 deferrals will be denied admission if a 2021 graduate just simply is a better fit. Can they do that?

I know that there is a limit to class size at most competitive colleges, and admissions offices try hard to package the very best class they can. Since we have 1/3 of 2020 accepts and all of 2021 applicants vying for a fixed number of spots, can some deferrals get kicked to the curb?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:17 pm Admin, please migrate any 2021 posts from New England West 2020 to this thread and burn the balance.

Then you can delete this post if you wish.
I just moved the whole lot. I don't like deleting...
3rdPersonPlural

admin wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:43 pm
I just moved the whole lot. I don't like deleting...
I didn't either until I ran in to 2020 :shock: :shock:

But thank you for tidying things up for us. And thanks for hosting this page. We are grateful.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:) Our pleasure.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:24 pm SameLaxParent (welcome to our mud pit!) posted this on the 2020 thread, and it is worth consideration:
"The timing of the Ivy League de-commitments the past 2 weeks (after 'likely' letters are issued by Admissions Depts but before ED letters are made official) certainly appear to have academic reasons for the flips.

With 1/3 of the classes of 2020 deferring admission this year and joining the pool for 2021 admissions this year is incredibly competitive for admissions. If kids struggled to get the scores Admissions needed - there's not much a coach can do."
I wonder if some 2020 deferrals will be denied admission if a 2021 graduate just simply is a better fit. Can they do that?

I know that there is a limit to class size at most competitive colleges, and admissions offices try hard to package the very best class they can. Since we have 1/3 of 2020 accepts and all of 2021 applicants vying for a fixed number of spots, can some deferrals get kicked to the curb?
This is a great question that I don’t know the answer to. My strong guess would be no. This isn’t talking about lax or scholarships, this is admission to the school. If you are admitted and they sign off on you deferring for a year, I would be very surprised if they could rescind the admission as long as you haven’t committed a crime in the interim or some such. I suspect there is much more flexibility in terms of spots on sports teams and even scholarships. Schollys are year to year. If I accept you for this year and offer you a scholly and you defer and next year roles around and I would prefer to give it to someone else, even though it might not be the honorable thing to do I suspect I could get out of giving it to you. Competition for slots this fall will be insane with basically 1.3 classes stacked up coming in and then a large chunk of the previous seniors repeating.
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Has anyone heard about the plan for this spring? Hopefully there will be a season and the kids will get a chance to play this spring.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Crickets here on Spring '21 season? Outdoor sports can be done. Are boarding and prep schools in-session or distance learning?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Slim wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:42 pm Crickets here on Spring '21 season? Outdoor sports can be done. Are boarding and prep schools in-session or distance learning?
Mostly in session but a lot of hedging about spring sports. I’m not too optimistic. If they do play, schedules will be very atypical. From CT, you are not supposed to travel to MA, even for a day trip, without quarantining. Obviously any spring break trips or games down in MD or PA are likely out. Deerfield team could move into a hotel in Boston area for the spring, take remote classes and play a full ISL schedule! None of which is to say that any of this makes any medical sense. Of course they could safely play and the cross-state-line rules are asinine pantomimed concerns to mollify the masses.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

https://www.thefoundersleague.org/page/2718

Yuck. Two months before any league games would have occurred. Feels like this decision that could have waited another 3-4 weeks. Obviously FL is an entity within West 1 but it doesn't bode well.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Doesn't bode well at all. I can't imagine what it must be like to miss half of your HS career as a spring sport athlete at one of these schools.
Finish Strong
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

How many more HS athletes have to die before we stop debating this issue of HS sports during covid.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

MA Lax Fan wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:14 pm How many more HS athletes have to die before we stop debating this issue of HS sports during covid.
Is this facetious?
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Sportin' Life wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:33 pm Doesn't bode well at all. I can't imagine what it must be like to miss half of your HS career as a spring sport athlete at one of these schools.
It's especially rough because this league has more resources at its disposal than any other in the country to pull this off safely. Is it not feasible because the schools have gone remote and the athletes are all over the country? If kids are boarding this semester then the decision seems even weirder to me. The high level players for Taft, Avon, Choate, etc. have played hundreds of hours of club lacrosse since June and they've been okay.
TotoketLax

Post by TotoketLax »

Will the schools in FL be able to separately schedule games and create their own schedules? In that scenario, there is just no formal “league” this season. While still disappointing, that leaves hope for schools to still schedule games.

Or does it mean that the FL schools have collectively agreed that none of them will hold any game competitions this Spring?
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

TotoketLax wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:03 pm Will the schools in FL be able to separately schedule games and create their own schedules? In that scenario, there is just no formal “league” this season. While still disappointing, that leaves hope for schools to still schedule games.

Or does it mean that the FL schools have collectively agreed that none of them will hold any game competitions this Spring?
Just speculating but thinking it's gotta be the first option as Avon and Salisbury varsity hockey are playing each other as I type this. In a big league of private schools it's not that surprising to see varying levels in the desire to compete. I could see varsity schedules that look more like a freshmen team schedule - 10ish total games with 2-3 teams that you play twice.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”