The Abortion Thread

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: The Abortion Thread

Post by PizzaSnake »

CU88 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:40 pm The Food and Drug Administration has announced it will relax controversial restrictions on a heavily regulated medication used to induce abortions — easing access to the drug at a time when abortion rights are being increasingly restricted nationwide.

The drug, mifepristone, is approved for use in combination with another medication, misoprostol, to terminate pregnancies up to 10 weeks and is sometimes used to treat women experiencing miscarriages.

Before the pandemic, doctors could only prescribe the pills to patients who were able to pick them up in person. But in response to COVID-19, the Biden administration suspended that requirement, allowing them to be mailed to patients instead. The decision by the FDA on Thursday makes that change permanent.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/15/10645985 ... tion-pills
Well, the American Taliban will come for the contraceptives next. I say, GFL with that... If people can ship a shite-ton of fentanyl through the mail, there is no way any contraceptive interdiction will amount to much. However, what it will do is create a new class of people for whom disregard for laws will become commonplace. Not such a good thing for a healthy society.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:58 pm
CU88 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:40 pm The Food and Drug Administration has announced it will relax controversial restrictions on a heavily regulated medication used to induce abortions — easing access to the drug at a time when abortion rights are being increasingly restricted nationwide.

The drug, mifepristone, is approved for use in combination with another medication, misoprostol, to terminate pregnancies up to 10 weeks and is sometimes used to treat women experiencing miscarriages.

Before the pandemic, doctors could only prescribe the pills to patients who were able to pick them up in person. But in response to COVID-19, the Biden administration suspended that requirement, allowing them to be mailed to patients instead. The decision by the FDA on Thursday makes that change permanent.

Well, the American Taliban will come for the contraceptives next. I say, GFL with that... If people can ship a shite-ton of fentanyl through the mail, there is no way any contraceptive interdiction will amount to much. However, what it will do is create a new class of people for whom disregard for laws will become commonplace. Not such a good thing for a healthy society.
Next? You’re late.

https://www.thelily.com/in-texas-anyone ... t-to-jail/
DMac

Post by DMac »

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:37 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:58 pm

Next? You’re late.

https://www.thelily.com/in-texas-anyone ... t-to-jail/
So Tejas has extended standing to prosecute international actors, i.e. Canadian pharmacies?

They can regulate international as well as interstate trade?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
OuttaNowhereWregget

What does science teach us?

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

At its essence, the abortion debate must include and rely on scientific evidence. No one will contend that what is in the womb of a pregnant woman isn’t a distinct and separate living human organism. To do so would be to ignore the science:

"Whether produced by fertilization or cloning, the human embryo is a complete and distinct human organism possessing all of the genetic material needed to inform and organize its growth, as well as an active disposition to develop itself using that information. The direction of its growth is not extrinsically determined, but is in accord with the genetic information within it." https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto ... Id=4857703

Brain waves are detectable   https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ ... us-system/

and a beating heart https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... t#timeline in the first trimester. 

Through the miracle of modern medical technology, babies in the womb have been operated on in the 2nd trimester and then allowed to finish gestation with their mother. http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/02/09/su ... index.html

These are compelling scientific facts--truths that must be considered in the abortion debate.

MDlaxfan76

Re: What does science teach us?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:32 am At its essence, the abortion debate must include and rely on scientific evidence. No one will contend that what is in the womb of a pregnant woman isn’t a distinct and separate living human organism. To do so would be to ignore the science:

"Whether produced by fertilization or cloning, the human embryo is a complete and distinct human organism possessing all of the genetic material needed to inform and organize its growth, as well as an active disposition to develop itself using that information. The direction of its growth is not extrinsically determined, but is in accord with the genetic information within it." https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto ... Id=4857703

Brain waves are detectable   https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ ... us-system/

and a beating heart https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... t#timeline in the first trimester. 

Through the miracle of modern medical technology, babies in the womb have been operated on in the 2nd trimester and then allowed to finish gestation with their mother. http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/02/09/su ... index.html

These are compelling scientific facts--truths that must be considered in the abortion debate.

Incomplete description.

Missing is the necessity for the carrier to remain healthy and continue to supply all of the right environmental factors in order for that 'genetic material' to develop in a healthy way.

Totally dependent on the carrier...no one else can provide such support.

Removed from the carrier, the "genetic material" does not develop into an independent, "distinct and separate living human organism".

So, we either believe that the State can force the carrier to eat, drink, exercise, work, or any other aspect of their lives solely in support of the "genetic material's" potential successful development...or we don't.

If the former, Gilead here we come.
PizzaSnake

Re: What does science teach us?

Post by PizzaSnake »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:32 am At its essence, the abortion debate must include and rely on scientific evidence. No one will contend that what is in the womb of a pregnant woman isn’t a distinct and separate living human organism. To do so would be to ignore the science:

Our system currently provides a gradual (in most cases) progression of rights, and, in some cases, termination of all rights.

So what is this “right to life” nonsense?
DMac

Post by DMac »

What percent of those making these decisions are atheists or agnostics?
"It’s obvious that there is a very vocal and organized pro-life movement out there, but we all need to understand that this movement is overwhelmingly conservative politically and the vast majority are Protestant or Catholic. If you want to be a pro-life atheist or liberal, there may be others like you out there but you will probably have a hard time finding them."

https://www.christianpost.com/news/how- ... -life.html
You'll have a real hard time convincing me the abortion topic isn't about God.
Separation of church and state my asz. This decision lies with the woman, you
can pass all the judgement and try to force your morals on her all you want but
then again, you're not walking in her shoes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IluO8RpJ9u0
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

outofnowwhere is not pro-life. Just like the rest of the clowns with their science that neglects the scientific reality that no fetus has ever been born and live without at least 22 weeks of gestation. THESE PEOPLE, ALL OF THEM ARE ANTI-WOMAN. Period. outofnowhere has his/her fascist wet-dream of controlling women, minimizing, diminutizing women in the name of his/her non-existent, bullsh*t god.

The only people in this debate that are pro-life, are those who are pro-choice!

Religious fascism running around pretending it is godliness (and scientific to boot) :lol: :roll:

It is time to stop pretending these fascists are anything other than what they are!
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:58 am outofnowwhere is not pro-life. Just like the rest of the clowns with their science that neglects the scientific reality that no fetus has ever been born and live without at least 22 weeks of gestation. THESE PEOPLE, ALL OF THEM ARE ANTI-WOMAN. Period. outofnowhere has his/her fascist wet-dream of controlling women, minimizing, diminutizing women in the name of his/her non-existent, bullsh*t god.

Religious fascism running around pretending it is godliness (and scientific to boot) :lol: :roll:

It is time to stop pretending these fascists are anything other than what they are!
Pete is a troll. Clearly, JHU just wants sensible discussion. :roll: :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Now, now.....you are muddying up the already in-tune echo chamber.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

While I do agree with 72's conclusion that the "pro-life" argument is fundamentally a choice to force women to conform to a single goal of producing, eventually, an independent being, I don't think all of the proponents actually understand it to be such.

They should, but they don't.

I think many, maybe most, are simply so eager to follow what they believe is a rational choice to protect "life" that they are, thus, not willing to recognize this reality about their demands of control over women. Blinded to that reality.

I do think this is "fascist" control of the State over a part of the population, based on ideology not shared by those controlled.

But I don't agree with '72's hyperbole about outa's conscious motivations.
Not without more evidence of such.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:23 am While I do agree with 72's conclusion that the "pro-life" argument is fundamentally a choice to force women to conform to a single goal of producing, eventually, an independent being, I don't think all of the proponents actually understand it to be such.

I think many, maybe most, are simply so eager to follow what they believe is a rational choice to protect "life" that they are, thus, not willing to recognize this reality about their demands of control over women. Blinded to that reality.

I do think this is "fascist" control of the State over a part of the population, based on ideology not shared by those controlled.

Not without more evidence of such.
... I refuse to suffer fools any longer. I am no longer giving benefit of doubt. The sane world has been playing their ridiculous game for far to long, trying not to offend them. Fu*k them if they want to play ridiculous games, I will call them out.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:26 am
jhu72 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:58 am outofnowwhere is not pro-life. Just like the rest of the clowns with their science that neglects the scientific reality that no fetus has ever been born and live without at least 22 weeks of gestation. THESE PEOPLE, ALL OF THEM ARE ANTI-WOMAN. Period. outofnowhere has his/her fascist wet-dream of controlling women, minimizing, diminutizing women in the name of his/her non-existent, bullsh*t god.

... there is no sensible discussion on this topic with you people. :roll:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:36 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:26 am

... there is no sensible discussion on this topic with you people. :roll:
Nice try, baiting with "you people."

Pete did the same and got sent away.

Hoffa did it to Provenzano, and we see how that turned out.

:lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... no baiting, the shoe fits.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:35 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:23 am While I do agree with 72's conclusion that the "pro-life" argument is fundamentally a choice to force women to conform to a single goal of producing, eventually, an independent being, I don't think all of the proponents actually understand it to be such.

Not without more evidence of such.e
... I refuse to suffer fools any longer. I am no longer giving benefit of doubt. The sane world has been playing their ridiculous game for far to long, trying not to offend them. Fu*k them if they want to play ridiculous games, I will call them out.
Like Manchin and Sinema have played the Democratic leadership?

Never should have passed the infra first. Of course, what do we expect from most people? An overwhelming majority of humanity isn’t too bright.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:41 am ... no baiting, the shoe fits.
Same thing that Pete said.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Decades ago when I was in high school, a young lady and I got together one night. I was feeling fine from our night of drinking and in hindsight foolish and completely irresponsible. We both wanted to go in the heat of the moment. The next morning when all was sober we realized we had a month of hoping and worrying ahead of us. I dreaded the possibility of having created a baby from our union that she didn’t want due to her college commitment. I knew ultimately it was her decision but it was an awful month of agonizing over what would happen to the child if she was indeed pregnant. Thankfully, there was no child and neither one of us had to have that on our consciences for the rest of our lives – wondering what our child would’ve looked like, what talents and gifts it would have had, what character traits she or he would have gotten from both of us, remembering each year around the time of a projected due date—my child would have been so many years old this year, etc. So, anyway, I know this is a very complex and difficult issue. I don’t speak of it lightly. I’ve thought about this issue for many years. One thing I have come to conclude about it is that abortion is the best thing that ever happened to men. It completely alleviates men of any responsibility both before and after.
Bart

Post by Bart »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:05 pm Decades ago when I was in high school, a young lady and I got together one night. I was feeling fine from our night of drinking and in hindsight foolish and completely irresponsible. We both wanted to go in the heat of the moment. The next morning when all was sober we realized we had a month of hoping and worrying ahead of us. I dreaded the possibility of having created a baby from our union that she didn’t want due to her college commitment. I knew ultimately it was her decision but it was an awful month of agonizing over what would happen to the child if she was indeed pregnant. Thankfully, there was no child and neither one of us had to have that on our consciences for the rest of our lives – wondering what our child would’ve looked like, what talents and gifts it would have had, what character traits she or he would have gotten from both of us, remembering each year around the time of a projected due date—my child would have been so many years old this year, etc. So, anyway, I know this is a very complex and difficult issue. I don’t speak of it lightly. I’ve thought about this issue for many years. One thing I have come to conclude about it is that abortion is the best thing that ever happened to men. It completely alleviates men of any responsibility both before and after.
Yet the drive to remove the choice seems to me to be completely driven by men. At least they seem to be the faces I see most.

Return to “POLITICS”