Boston College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Womenslaxxfan

Re: Boston College

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

One thing I know for sure. The factors that will drive realignment decisions will be made without one second of thought about women’s lacrosse. I just hope the sport doesn’t lose too many programs if the football realignment losers have to shrink their athletics budgets.
Too many of the winners (im looking at you sec schools) don’t have lacrosse and have shown little inclination to add it….
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

'23 Fall Recap

I know there are at least a few followers here interested in what’s happening with BC lax, so here are a few notes from fall ball.…

Long, busy summer for coach AWW and crew. I’m told early fall practices and conditioning were all business. By all accounts, returning players, transfers and rookies responded admirably.

My first opportunity to see the lax community again first-hand was family weekend in late Sept. One thing is for sure, the BC culture of fun, love and unity is alive and well. Fantastic football tailgate and post-game gatherings provided an opportunity to reconnect and welcome new families to the Heights.

First fall ball weekend was in Sparks vs Navy, Richmond and Maryland. Couldn’t attend, so my report is second-hand. As I understand, everyone played v Navy and Richmond. The benches shortened a bit for the Maryland finale. Eagles came away with a ~3 goal win. Notable for UMD was M. Ball who was a force on the circle/D. Also notable, Terps’ #14 Kori E dnp.

Quick note about the USA Fall Classic where Eagles were well-represented with 6 current/future players on the U20 training team. Regardless of how the final roster shakes out, this is a great accomplishment and the experience will benefit these individuals and the BC program. In the game Saturday v Northwestern, a tenacious bunch of 18-19 y/o brought out a little frustration in the champs whose big ‘cats didn’t come off the field. Despite some chippy play, U20 matched the physicality and found a way to come back (down 3) and win a one-goal game in a downpour. True, this was just an exhibition (and NU’s roster was diluted between the two teams), but not meaningless as delivering on a big stage can only be positive.

From there straight to Boston for the Harvard playday on Sunday with scrimmages v UMass, Stony Brook, USC and Dartmouth. Another great day for the team and families, and a lot of lax for the shortened BC bench. The 4 USA field participants didn’t dress for the scrimmages, though #88 did jump in between the pipes a couple times. With a couple injury scratches, everyone else’s fitness trackers were buzzing, I’m sure. BC tied or won all 4 scrimmages. Perhaps most memorable was the morning tilt v Stony Brook—unfortunately, not for the game. Let’s just say a few Seawolf fans didn’t get the ‘these-are-just-fall-scrimmages’ memo…

Final action of the fall was served in the form of BC v Michigan at Darien HS. Whoever thought this one up deserves a fall mvp nomination (probably a BC person). Both design and execution were nearly flawless. Great family/team gatherings the night before. On-field rivals tailgated side-by-side under clear 80 degree skies with much of the greater Darien region in attendance. I’m rambling, so I’ll post the games notes separately.

In related news, 10 Eagles participated in USA U-20 or USA Box training camps. 10 more received IL recognition as incoming or returning players. Congratulations to lacrosse alum Lauren Costello ’10 who was inducted into the BC varsity HoF. The program continued its support of multiple community charities. And finally… there is now a room on campus with enough lockers for everyone!

That should get you caught up and fired up for the season right around the corner. Go Eagles!
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

GratefulRed wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:59 pm '23 Fall Recap

I know there are at least a few followers here interested in what’s happening with BC lax, so here are a few notes from fall ball.…

Long, busy summer for coach AWW and crew. I’m told early fall practices and conditioning were all business. By all accounts, returning players, transfers and rookies responded admirably.

My first opportunity to see the lax community again first-hand was family weekend in late Sept. One thing is for sure, the BC culture of fun, love and unity is alive and well. Fantastic football tailgate and post-game gatherings provided an opportunity to reconnect and welcome new families to the Heights.

First fall ball weekend was in Sparks vs Navy, Richmond and Maryland. Couldn’t attend, so my report is second-hand. As I understand, everyone played v Navy and Richmond. The benches shortened a bit for the Maryland finale. Eagles came away with a ~3 goal win. Notable for UMD was M. Ball who was a force on the circle/D. Also notable, Terps’ #14 Kori E dnp.

Quick note about the USA Fall Classic where Eagles were well-represented with 6 current/future players on the U20 training team. Regardless of how the final roster shakes out, this is a great accomplishment and the experience will benefit these individuals and the BC program. In the game Saturday v Northwestern, a tenacious bunch of 18-19 y/o brought out a little frustration in the champs whose big ‘cats didn’t come off the field. Despite some chippy play, U20 matched the physicality and found a way to come back (down 3) and win a one-goal game in a downpour. True, this was just an exhibition (and NU’s roster was diluted between the two teams), but not meaningless as delivering on a big stage can only be positive.

From there straight to Boston for the Harvard playday on Sunday with scrimmages v UMass, Stony Brook, USC and Dartmouth. Another great day for the team and families, and a lot of lax for the shortened BC bench. The 4 USA field participants didn’t dress for the scrimmages, though #88 did jump in between the pipes a couple times. With a couple injury scratches, everyone else’s fitness trackers were buzzing, I’m sure. BC tied or won all 4 scrimmages. Perhaps most memorable was the morning tilt v Stony Brook—unfortunately, not for the game. Let’s just say a few Seawolf fans didn’t get the ‘these-are-just-fall-scrimmages’ memo…

Final action of the fall was served in the form of BC v Michigan at Darien HS. Whoever thought this one up deserves a fall mvp nomination (probably a BC person). Both design and execution were nearly flawless. Great family/team gatherings the night before. On-field rivals tailgated side-by-side under clear 80 degree skies with much of the greater Darien region in attendance. I’m rambling, so I’ll post the games notes separately.

In related news, 10 Eagles participated in USA U-20 or USA Box training camps. 10 more received IL recognition as incoming or returning players. Congratulations to lacrosse alum Lauren Costello ’10 who was inducted into the BC varsity HoF. The program continued its support of multiple community charities. And finally… there is now a room on campus with enough lockers for everyone!

That should get you caught up and fired up for the season right around the corner. Go Eagles!
What freshmen if any do you think can make an impact next year? I think if there's one thing BC has been missing has been impactful freshmen. I know it's easier said than done as very few freshmen on any program make immediate impacts. But for BC it would help with depth. Because at this level every little edge you can get helps. i like Downey alot but she may still be raw. She was an offensive juggernaut in HS but i'm not sure she projects as a high level scorer in college. Because of her tenacity and excellent defensive instincts she may be asked to play a more defensive role.
laxguy516

Post by laxguy516 »

Downey played some of the fall as a defender
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:40 pm

What freshmen if any do you think can make an impact next year? I think if there's one thing BC has been missing has been impactful freshmen. I know it's easier said than done as very few freshmen on any program make immediate impacts. But for BC it would help with depth. Because at this level every little edge you can get helps. i like Downey alot but she may still be raw. She was an offensive juggernaut in HS but i'm not sure she projects as a high level scorer in college. Because of her tenacity and excellent defensive instincts she may be asked to play a more defensive role.
Colasante is the only freshman projected to play a major role in my opinion. She will likely start on defense. Tough to break into the BC starting line up. They have talent at every position.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Terrific recap. Thank you!

I am predicting/rooting for a Reynolds breakout season this spring. One of the fastest and strongest players on the team. She has conformed to the "role" laid out for her so far, but I am expecting that AWW will take the leash off this spring.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

First-years look great imo. Agreed, tough lineup for a freshman to crack--but to start would be impressive. I think you could be right about Reynolds--she has the tools.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

GratefulRed wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:22 am First-years look great imo. Agreed, tough lineup for a freshman to crack--but to start would be impressive. I think you could be right about Reynolds--she has the tools.
Question for you both: Will Baker stay in the same defense and clearing role she occupied very well for BC last year? Good to very good speed, handles the ball well. Might she move into the midfield. You may recall that, years ago now, Arsenault started as a defender and moved onto the circle and up into the midfield, and the rest was history. Wondering about that for Baker.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

laxguy516 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:47 am Downey played some of the fall as a defender
I coached Downey in UA All American - kid is a flat out beast. She has a motor that does not stop.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:37 am
GratefulRed wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:22 am First-years look great imo. Agreed, tough lineup for a freshman to crack--but to start would be impressive. I think you could be right about Reynolds--she has the tools.
Question for you both: Will Baker stay in the same defense and clearing role she occupied very well for BC last year? Good to very good speed, handles the ball well. Might she move into the midfield. You may recall that, years ago now, Arsenault started as a defender and moved onto the circle and up into the midfield, and the rest was history. Wondering about that for Baker.
Baker played more middie in the fall. She adds a 1v1 spark on the offensive end but I personally think she is more valuable for 1 more year playing 100 percent on the defensive end. Her play at midfield will dictate where she will play. It looks like coaches are leaning toward midfield.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Lax101 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:40 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:37 am
Baker played more middie in the fall. She adds a 1v1 spark on the offensive end but I personally think she is more valuable for 1 more year playing 100 percent on the defensive end. Her play at midfield will dictate where she will play. It looks like coaches are leaning toward midfield.
Thanks. Nice to have athletes who can play all over the field.
BCGold

Post by BCGold »

Thanks GratefuleRed and others, any and all insights that the average fan don’t see are very much appreciated!

Great post!
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

You bet! Here are a few notes to help pass the time.

Game notes Michigan v BC (Darien HS)

Incredible atmosphere--the concourse and stands were packed with Eagle and Wolverine faithful who were easily outnumbered by the many young ladies from across the region hoping to get a glimpse of some of the best in the college game. Even the Darien Athletic Foundation student media team stepped up with coverage of the game that was superior to many college feeds we’ve endured recently. This was a showcase in a recruiting hotbed so it was approached by both sides much like a regular season game and played with appropriate intensity, if not always with the desired efficiency.

Offensively, BC showed flashes. Roughly 10 different goal scorers put up 14 or so against a good defense, despite a bunch of turnovers and a fairly even draw day. Newcomers #1 Rachel C and #13 Emma L were as advertised, contributing about 4 pts each.

UM defenders 26 J Harrison, 6 Callahan and G O’Grady looked good limiting the BC damage, but the Eagle offense was too much.

#14 J Smith and 11 Dyer were the most dangerous Wolverines. UM’s deliberate offense had a few good looks turned away by #88 that would have made it seem closer but couldn’t threaten consistently. BC defense looks to be just as stingy as years past. Grad transfers #25 Becky B and #33 J Green blended nicely. Soph #22 Michaela O’ and rookie #20 Lydia C added even more depth.

Not much has changed with the blue-chip BC midfield. #18 R Smith and #15 Abbey H took most of the draws, though the Eag's signaled diversity at the dot with others getting a few reps. First-years #11 Lacey D and #47 Kylee C look college-ready.

Will be interesting to see how they line up in February--can’t wait!
njbill

Post by njbill »

The Darien stadium is a great venue to watch a game. And the DAF kids’ product is outstanding. Agreed that it is better than many college productions.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

BC might have the most complete attack in a recent history of the sport. I’m not saying they have the best attack ever and are going to be the best set this year (which they might be), but when you picture the ideal attacking skill set they have it all. They have two pure low attackers with LoPinto and Davis. Davis is a stellar low lefty feeder which is perfect for right handed cutters. LoPinto is a good dodger and sees the field pretty well too so she adds depth for assists. Then you have Martello who is a strong cutter but can also score off the dodge. Clark is the opposite, she is a stronger dodger who can also score off a cut. Each player I think is going to compliment each other well and it should be a balanced attack. Not to mention Smith and Weeks from the MF. I think LoPinto’s point total may be lower than her amount at Florida just because the attack will be so balanced. I wouldn’t be surprised if Clark scores 70+ goals and Davis gets close or breaks 100 points.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

user1020 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:38 pm BC might have the most complete attack in a recent history of the sport. I’m not saying they have the best attack ever and are going to be the best set this year (which they might be), but when you picture the ideal attacking skill set they have it all. They have two pure low attackers with LoPinto and Davis. Davis is a stellar low lefty feeder which is perfect for right handed cutters. LoPinto is a good dodger and sees the field pretty well too so she adds depth for assists. Then you have Martello who is a strong cutter but can also score off the dodge. Clark is the opposite, she is a stronger dodger who can also score off a cut. Each player I think is going to compliment each other well and it should be a balanced attack. Not to mention Smith and Weeks from the MF. I think LoPinto’s point total may be lower than her amount at Florida just because the attack will be so balanced. I wouldn’t be surprised if Clark scores 70+ goals and Davis gets close or breaks 100 points.
More complete than Apuzzo and Co? Some of the Maryland and NW teams of the past? UNC's Ortega, Mastroianni, and SRG? BC's attack on paper is very good don't get me wrong but still aways off. If they can prove it and dominate like those other groups then it'll be a discussion worth having.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Matt Hasselbeck on The Herd today, wearing a BC #4 hoodie/sweatshirt. Camera shot not low enough to see LACROSSE on it but it's all good. National Exposure.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

BC Season Preview

In ’23, BC season required adjustments as they developed a new identity following the departure of another legend. Wouldn’t have been shocking if BC had a down year but experience, character and culture carried them through adversity to the final weekend again. Let’s look forward to what it will take for the Eagles to make another run. We begin with the offense.

For some perspective, here is BC’s top line opponent-adjusted ranking from 2023—(Lacrossereference.com)

Offensive Efficiency
Nationally 5th
ACC 4th

The numbers look pretty good; wouldn’t have to change much in order to have another great season. But what the hell--we can still nitpick to find small opportunities for improvement. Beats the shorts v kilt debate. :lol:

BC’s raw assist rate ~54% was among the best in the country last year-- the 10-point jump from 2022 is a great indicator of how the offense transformed in 2023. Goals per game were down from ~17 in 2022 to just over 14 g/g last year. However, time of possession was among the very best which helped offensive efficiency remain top 5. The ’23 Eagles were a poised group that never panicked and consistently worked for better shots.

Most coaches would sign up for that type of offense, right? But is it possible they were too deliberate at times? Eagles ball movement was great, though sometimes they relied more heavily on perfect passing plays rather than getting to the net off the dodge. There were dry spells against the better D units. If anyone asked me (and they should not), here are few opportunities:

Dodge – transfer additions Lopinto and Clark are both legit dodging threats who could make up for losing last year’s primary 1v1 beast from the wing, J Medjid, as well as Court Weeks. The remaining attackers and a handful of middies can all beat their defenders off the dribble and demand a slide. A team that commits to dodging downhill from anywhere in the formation could put more pressure on opposing defenses and inflict a little more fatigue.

Free Positions – more physical dodging means more fouls and fp chances. BC’s new mix of finishers this year will look to improve on last year’s 44% conversion rate and give the Eag’s a bigger advantage in this regard.

Transition – I believe lax should be played up and down the field with more speed/creativity and a little less settled specialization. So, I will always root for more transition. But BC actually has the personnel to pull it off. Defense and middies have speed to burn. Attackers have the vision and skill to finish. If they prioritize running, they could get a few more easy/fun goals.

If BC can do the above and maintain an assist rate around 50% they will set scoring records and have a great chance to win it all.

user1020 said it well (paraphrasing):
user1020 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:38 pm BC might have the most complete attack in a recent history of the sport. I’m not saying they have the best attack ever and are going to be the best set this year (which they might be), but when you picture the ideal attacking skill set they have it all. Each player I think is going to compliment each other well and it should be a balanced attack.
Time to get locked in!
njbill

Post by njbill »

Very nice preview. I think the Eagles will challenge Northwestern this year, although that may require the free agents to meld well with the rest of the offense. I think they probably will, but it still has to happen. To me, Carolina is a bigger question mark. Lots of potential on offense, but it still has to be realized.

Great summary of the offense. Are you working on the defensive summary now? 😀
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

njbill wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:41 am Very nice preview. I think the Eagles will challenge Northwestern this year, although that may require the free agents to meld well with the rest of the offense. I think they probably will, but it still has to happen. To me, Carolina is a bigger question mark. Lots of potential on offense, but it still has to be realized.

Great summary of the offense. Are you working on the defensive summary now? 😀
I agree with them challenging. I think they win it this year. Lopinto is gonna have a phenomenal year.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”