Re: Stony Brook releases 2022 schedule

Post by wlaxphan20 »

hmmm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:09 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:07 pm
laxer12 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:42 pm
seacoaster wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:23 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:40 am
laxer12 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:44 pmPicture1.jpg
Tough first 6 games....After that only Princeton should cause them trouble....
Sixteen game schedule and only five at home? That's a lot of road miles and other folks' dressing rooms.
I thought this as well. Had to do a double-take when I first saw it; way too many away games.

Would be interesting to find out the reasoning behind it.
I checked the schedule for the men's team which shows 7 out of 14 scheduled games at home. Also did a little bit of googling for construction or repair to the LaValle stadium and couldn't find anything either.
My guess is that it may be hard to get top 15-20 teams to make that trip to the island and that if JS wants to play those teams he has to do the traveling.
It makes sense. I think the cold theory mentioned by seacoaster & Cagekeeper still holds up too. Neither Dartmouth nor SBU has an indoor facility so it doesn't much matter where the game is played weather-wise.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:39 pm
Sixteen game schedule and only five at home? That's a lot of road miles and other folks' dressing rooms.
I thought this as well. Had to do a double-take when I first saw it; way too many away games.

I checked the schedule for the men's team which shows 7 out of 14 scheduled games at home. Also did a little bit of googling for construction or repair to the LaValle stadium and couldn't find anything either.
My guess is that it may be hard to get top 15-20 teams to make that trip to the island and that if JS wants to play those teams he has to do the traveling.
It makes sense. I think the cold theory mentioned by seacoaster & Cagekeeper still holds up too. Neither Dartmouth nor SBU has an indoor facility so it doesn't much matter where the game is played weather-wise.

wlaxphan20...are you sure about Stony Brook?
https://www.architectmagazine.com/proje ... g-facility
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:01 pm
xteen game schedule and only five at home? That's a lot of road miles and other folks' dressing rooms.

Hahahahaha clearly not. And on top of that I responded to an earlier post about the use of bounce-backs during an indoor practice :shock:
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:10 pm
xteen game schedule and only five at home? That's a lot of road miles and other folks' dressing rooms.

Hahahahaha clearly not. And on top of that I responded to an earlier post about the use of bounce-backs during an indoor practice :shock:
It’s not regulation size! Whoever designed it I don’t get. All that money and it’s too short
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Idontknowtherules wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:16 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:10 pm

It’s not regulation size! Whoever designed it I don’t get. All that money and it’s too short
Oh that's a very good point, only 105 yards long, right?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Stony Brook

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

OuttaNowhereWregget

So Stony Brook is disallowed from playing in the conference tournament. Eh. It's been a foregone conclusion that the Seawolves would skate to the title there since 2018. Maybe the disqualification will serve to fuel them deeper into the Tournament. Of course, there is always the possibility the powers bow to the pressure and reverse their decision, depending on how much pressure gets brought to bear. We shall see. I wouldn't mind seeing a different representative from the AE. It's a foregone conclusion the Seawolves will make the tournament easily without the AE title.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:28 am So Stony Brook is disallowed from playing in the conference tournament. Eh. It's been a foregone conclusion that the Seawolves would skate to the title there since 2018. Maybe the disqualification will serve to fuel them deeper into the Tournament. Of course, there is always the possibility the powers bow to the pressure and reverse their decision, depending on how much pressure gets brought to bear. We shall see. I wouldn't mind seeing a different representative from the AE. It's a foregone conclusion the Seawolves will make the tournament easily without the AE title.
The big question I guess (and we'll never get the absolute answer) is what team will lose an at large birth that will undoubtedly go to SB now? I would imagine it would be an ACC or Big10 school. Thoughts?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:28 am So Stony Brook is disallowed from playing in the conference tournament. Eh. It's been a foregone conclusion that the Seawolves would skate to the title there since 2018. Maybe the disqualification will serve to fuel them deeper into the Tournament. Of course, there is always the possibility the powers bow to the pressure and reverse their decision, depending on how much pressure gets brought to bear. We shall see. I wouldn't mind seeing a different representative from the AE. It's a foregone conclusion the Seawolves will make the tournament easily without the AE title.
Wouldn’t they have to give the exemption to JMU too??
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:29 am
Why? It’s a conference decision. Conferences act in their own self interest.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

JMU approved the CAA bylaws that were enforced against them. They also voted to enforce them against ODU just a couple years ago. They had no leg to stand on when complaining about it. I assume there were similar bylaws in the Am East that SB was completely aware of prior to making this decision. No it's not fair to the student athletes but the schools know what the ramifications of these decisions are when they make them.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

hmmm wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:18 am
JMU approved the CAA bylaws that were enforced against them. They also voted to enforce them against ODU just a couple years ago. They had no leg to stand on when complaining about it. I assume there were similar bylaws in the Am East that SB was completely aware of prior to making this decision. No it's not fair to the student athletes but the schools know what the ramifications of these decisions are when they make them.
lol - ODU left the CAA in 2012 so that is way more than a couple of years ago. The current student athletes were in ES and MS in 2012 and we live in completely different world than we did 10 years ago. Regarding bylaws, most conferences have not recently been enforcing penalties that do not allow teams to compete for conference championships when they announce they are changing conferences. That is why the CAA was called out so hard on a national level and why Am East is getting called out now. Now, Stony Brook referencing Hartford not being penalized is a big nothing burger. Hartford dropped from DI to DIII - completely different situation than moving to a competing conference.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Justalaxdad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:46 am
The big question I guess (and we'll never get the absolute answer) is what team will lose an at large birth that will undoubtedly go to SB now? I would imagine it would be an ACC or Big10 school. Thoughts?
It will more likely limit other 'lesser', if you will, conferences from getting bubble teams in. I'm confident it won't involve any shoehorning to get the Seawolves a bid. Stony Brook typically fares well in RPI tallies which figure heavily in awarding spots. Looking forward to an all the more compelling selection show in May.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:35 am
Justalaxdad wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:46 am
It will more likely limit other 'lesser', if you will, conferences from getting bubble teams in. I'm confident it won't involve any shoehorning to get the Seawolves a bid. Stony Brook typically fares well in RPI tallies which figure heavily in awarding spots. Looking forward to an all the more compelling selection show in May.
Stony Brook and JMU both have schedules that allow them the opportunity to get an at-large spot based on their performance. Not sure it impacts ACC at-large spots as they seem to get one too many just about every year. May impact one of the B10 bubble teams. Most likely will impact teams like Hofstra, Temple, Towson, Vandy, and UConn that received at-large spots last year with 2-3 of them probably getting spots that would have gone to Ivy League in the past.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Big test for the Stony Brook Seawolves out in Evanston this evening. Gotta give ‘em this – they never duck a tough opponent. I’ll bet Innovator Joe puts in plenty of requests to play the big teams each year and gets declined by more than a few. Kudos to the teams who do schedule Stony Brook—the AC Lunchpail Gang from Long Island.
OuttaNowhereWregget

16-12 NU. It wasn’t that close. I think pretty much all the air went out of Stony Brook when the Wildcats went up by 7 early in the third quarter. Stony Brook just doesn’t have enough talent to compete with the best of the best. One can only go so far with scrappiness and a chip on the shoulder from being overlooked by the blue bloods, as Doc calls them. (Good name for characterization.) Not much left for Stony Brook the rest of the way. They’ll kick the snot out of everyone in the AE and then await their seeding for the NCAA’s which will end sooner rather than later for the Seawolves in ‘22.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Pretty impressive win by the Seawolves vs Hofstra,12-6, on the Road to a one loss team, that featured the best Goalie in D1 as of 3/14.
The Stony Brook Defense was dialed in and held Hofstra to 6 goals. If they had shot the ball better(12-30), they probably have a running clock game.
SB still needs better Goalie play if they want to make a deep run for the National Championship.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:16 am Pretty impressive win by the Seawolves vs Hofstra,12-6, on the Road to a one loss team, that featured the best Goalie in D1 as of 3/14.
The Stony Brook Defense was dialed in and held Hofstra to 6 goals. If they had shot the ball better(12-30), they probably have a running clock game.
SB still needs better Goalie play if they want to make a deep run for the National Championship.
Best goalie in D1? stop.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:16 am Pretty impressive win by the Seawolves vs Hofstra,12-6, on the Road to a one loss team, that featured the best Goalie in D1 as of 3/14.
What separates Jess Smith from the others, Larry?
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:33 am
Best goalie in D1? stop.

She had the best Save Pct. in Division One Women's Lacrosse. WHY do you people always want someone from the top 10 to be considered the best? Everyone does not play in the beloved ACC!! Other people can ACTUALLY PLAY THE SPORT! Give credit where credit is due. Jess Smith(Hofstra) had the highest Save Pct. in D1. That's FACT, not fiction!

STOP with the Elitist BS! I am really tired of the "if you don't play here, in certain conferences, against a specific number of specific teams...then you don't count or matter". You want to disagree with or dispute me? Fine, then do so and tell me where I'm wrong.

I have been saying this for years : There are players at the D2 and D3 level who could play at the "vaunted D1 level" but made other choices for various reasons. I respect that and celebrate it.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”