Stony Brook

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Fischer

Re: Stony Brook

Post by Fischer »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:04 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:33 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:16 am Pretty impressive win by the Seawolves vs Hofstra,12-6, on the Road to a one loss team, that featured the best Goalie in D1 as of 3/14.
The Stony Brook Defense was dialed in and held Hofstra to 6 goals. If they had shot the ball better(12-30), they probably have a running clock game.
SB still needs better Goalie play if they want to make a deep run for the National Championship.
Best goalie in D1? stop.

She had the best Save Pct. in Division One Women's Lacrosse. WHY do you people always want someone from the top 10 to be considered the best? Everyone does not play in the beloved ACC!! Other people can ACTUALLY PLAY THE SPORT! Give credit where credit is due. Jess Smith(Hofstra) had the highest Save Pct. in D1. That's FACT, not fiction!

STOP with the Elitist BS! I am really tired of the "if you don't play here, in certain conferences, against a specific number of specific teams...then you don't count or matter". You want to disagree with or dispute me? Fine, then do so and tell me where I'm wrong.

I have been saying this for years : There are players at the D2 and D3 level who could play at the "vaunted D1 level" but made other choices for various reasons. I respect that and celebrate it.
Agree!! So Larry. On the other thread of spotlight players you should come up
With some d2/3
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Sorry - I can't let the "best goalie in D1 go either". Maybe Florida or UNC want to upgrade their goalie position. Did you happen to look at the team's that Hofstra has played so far. Stats don't tell the full story.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:30 pm Sorry - I can't let the "best goalie in D1 go either". Maybe Florida or UNC want to upgrade their goalie position. Did you happen to look at the team's that Hofstra has played so far. Stats don't tell the full story.
Stop it Lax101!!! You’re making sense - that’s not allowed here 😂
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:30 pm Sorry - I can't let the "best goalie in D1 go either". Maybe Florida or UNC want to upgrade their goalie position. Did you happen to look at the team's that Hofstra has played so far. Stats don't tell the full story.
Stats absolutely tell the story from game to game, week to week. According to the NCAA Stats last week, JESS SMITH led D1 in Save Pct. Here's what that means to me : she made saves against the shots she faced at a higher pct. than anyone else playing the position. Goalies don't say "are we playing someone from a lesser conference? Then we need to "Flex" that game for a stronger opponent or people on the Fanlax Forum are going to minimize my abilities".

Here's a secret, so listen to this very carefully...THE PLAYERS DO NOT PICK THEIR SCHEDULE! If I'm wrong, correct me.
You people get sooo hung up on "who have they played?" It makes no sense if you read the sentence above and know it to be a fact.
Too many of you want the world of Lacrosse to be ruled by the "chosen few" conferences and if anyone(or their daughter) are not part of THAT, then anything that is accomplished by anyone outside of the designated "chosen few" is pretty useless. That's why AA selections are a joke to me, because it usually fails to acknowledge talent outside of a couple of conferences and a select group of programs. You people really need to check yourselves when it comes to this.

I know a lot of talented athletes who play outside of the Power 5...and so do you! Do not act like they don't love and care about the game like the "Big Girls" do. By doing that you do a disservice to the game and are insulting a whole lot of athletes and a whole lot of parents.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

That’s certainly one way to look at it from one perspective. But seeing how we are talking about a sport, it’s natural to question the quality of the competition. One would have to shut off ones brain in order to not assess factors outsurrounding. Let’s face it, there are more talented players playing in the Big Ten conference than there are in the Big South conference. There doesn’t have to be anything insulting about recognizing that.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Stats give you an idea of what happened but definitely don't tell the whole story.
Big game of the day:
GK for the Fair Hairs faces 7 FPSs, 6 are successful (9 should be in my book).
GK for the Curly Locks faces 1 FPS and the shooter puts the ball in the GK's chest protector.
What's that percentage tell you about how good a GK is?

FPSs should go in the cage...period!
You will see this from a GK's perspective and I will see it from a shooter's perspective.
Most often this should be an easy goal.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Stony Brook is back in the rear view mirror for me after last night's convincing win over Princeton in Jersey. If this is an indication of how the Seawolves have matured and improved in-season under coach Spallina then they could give some teams real headaches come Tournament time. They could finally make it to that final weekend.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:43 am Stony Brook is back in the rear view mirror for me after last night's convincing win over Princeton in Jersey. If this is an indication of how the Seawolves have matured and improved in-season under coach Spallina then they could give some teams real headaches come Tournament time. They could finally make it to that final weekend.
I had this game on the laptop while I watched the Syracuse-Loyola game and kept noticing the score was 4-0, 7-1, 11-3, etc., but didn't really watch the game. I assume SBU's zone stymied Princeton. Question for someone who actually watched: is Stony Brook better than Loyola?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:23 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:43 am Stony Brook is back in the rear view mirror for me after last night's convincing win over Princeton in Jersey. If this is an indication of how the Seawolves have matured and improved in-season under coach Spallina then they could give some teams real headaches come Tournament time. They could finally make it to that final weekend.
I had this game on the laptop while I watched the Syracuse-Loyola game and kept noticing the score was 4-0, 7-1, 11-3, etc., but didn't really watch the game. I assume SBU's zone stymied Princeton. Question for someone who actually watched: is Stony Brook better than Loyola?
That’s a good question. Overall, Loyola has more talent. Stony Brook has the clear edge in coaching. I think Stony Brook also has the edge in fire-in-the-belly. After watching last night’s games, I have to say Stony Brook is the better team.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:53 am
That’s a good question. Overall, Loyola has more talent. Stony Brook has the clear edge in coaching. I think Stony Brook also has the edge in fire-in-the-belly. After watching last night’s games, I have to say Stony Brook is the better team.
This all suggests that, as the season progresses and teams improve or stagnate, Syracuse and Loyola and Stony Brook are all pretty closely matched.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:01 am
This all suggests that, as the season progresses and teams improve or stagnate, Syracuse and Loyola and Stony Brook are all pretty closely matched.
Can’t argue with you there, sea/Sea(1)
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Can't argue with your descriptive points. I don't know if SBU is the better team, but using transitive properties, I guess they are.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:01 am
+1
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Jen Adams is a hell of a coach. I would not say that Spallina is clearly better than her. Definitely better, but the gap is closer than most people think. Jen is one of the greatest offensive minds the sport has ever seen.

Joe
OuttaNowhereWregget

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:02 pm
Jen Adams is a hell of a coach. I would not say that Spallina is clearly better than her. Definitely better, but the gap is closer than most people think. Jen is one of the greatest offensive minds the sport has ever seen.

Joe
An interesting exercise would be to swap coaches. I would say Spallina gets much more from Loyola’s roster than Adams. We couldn’t ever make that happen but I think the difference would be significant. Loyola would be a real threat for the national title if Joe had the reins.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:15 pm

Joe
An interesting exercise would be to swap coaches. I would say Spallina gets much more from Loyola’s roster than Adams. We couldn’t ever make that happen but I think the difference would be significant. Loyola would be a real threat for the national title if Joe had the reins.
Boy do I want to comment.... Can't.... Do.... It.... 😁🐕🥍
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:53 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:15 pm

Joe
Boy do I want to comment.... Can't.... Do.... It.... 😁🐕🥍
Give it to us in code, Doc 😉
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I would say Joe certainly has a - step on the throat - mentality while Loyola doesn't always put their opponent away when they can.
That being said SBU has a VERY Long Island vibe and I don't think one needs to coach much killer instinct into his players.
OuttaNowhereWregget

tothedraw wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:25 pm I would say Joe certainly has a - step on the throat - mentality while Loyola doesn't always put their opponent away when they can.
That being said SBU has a VERY Long Island vibe and I don't think one needs to coach much killer instinct into his players.
I can't help but chuckle at what you wrote here. A backhanded compliment if ever there was one. Just an observation. I pass out one or two on occasion myself. I think Spallina deserves much more credit than you're giving him though. But we all have our opinions. I don't always agree with what you write, but I'm glad you're here writing.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I think Joe is obviously a very good coach. Three straight National Championships in Division 2 is no small feat. I do think he over rates his teams as a motivator. He gets high quality individuals although he claims he doesn’t. I’m surprised he hasn’t had a team in the final four but a lot of the top teams shy away due to the aggressive nature his team plays.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”