Syracuse 2021

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxfan500

Re: Syracuse 2021

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:17 am
DMac wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:59 pm ...or maybe they're saying January seems to have lasted five weeks, enough already. Damn happy to see 2-1-21, got games this month, skirts on the field.
Sounds reasonable to me, DMac—thanks. 🍊🥍
Today was their first practice . Hence, one more day on the 31st...
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:33 pm Today was their first practice . Hence, one more day on the 31st...
"I SEE!" said the blind man as he read the newspaper...😉
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Syracuse women's lacrosse's game at Georgetown scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 23, has been postponed because of a COVID-19 related concern within the Hoyas' program.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Sounds like so far the non-affected school is agreeing with the affected school to reschedule as opposed to playing the game with the affected school maybe being shorthanded. Shorthanded in the sense that they wouldn't have some of their better players/starters available though they would have enough players based on total roster. It's my understanding Covid problems aren't affecting the entire roster, or say 75%.

Is that what is going on?

If so, I imagine the NCAA is going to have to crack down come tournament time. Can't really postpone those games.
Last edited by njbill on Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Cletus wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:45 pm Syracuse women's lacrosse's game at Georgetown scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 23, has been postponed because of a COVID-19 related concern within the Hoyas' program.
looks like it's already been reschedule to April 6th! they do show this saturday's game against George Washington as being postoned as well
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

njbill wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:16 pm Sounds like so far the non-affected school is agreeing with the affected school to reschedule as opposed to playing the game with the affected school maybe being shorthanded. Shorthanded in the sense that they wouldn't have some of their better players/starters available though they would have enough players based on total roster. It's my understanding Covid problems aren't affecting the entire roster, or say 75%.

If so, I imagine the NCAA is going to have to crack down come tournament time. Can't really postpone those games.
NJ, i could be wrong, but I believe the conference sets the rules and if literally 1 kid tests positive because of contact tracing, everyone who had the close contact can't play either. I think that was the case with the recent Villanova cancellations - maybe if Mr. Mauer sees this he can weigh in.
njbill

Post by njbill »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:22 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:16 pm Sounds like so far the non-affected school is agreeing with the affected school to reschedule as opposed to playing the game with the affected school maybe being shorthanded. Shorthanded in the sense that they wouldn't have some of their better players/starters available though they would have enough players based on total roster. It's my understanding Covid problems aren't affecting the entire roster, or say 75%.

NJ, i could be wrong, but I believe the conference sets the rules and if literally 1 kid tests positive because of contact tracing, everyone who had the close contact can't play either. I think that was the case with the recent Villanova cancellations - maybe if Mr. Mauer sees this he can weigh in.
That certainly makes sense, but what I was wondering about is whether those who are neither C+ nor in close contact with C+s could play. I would think so, but that is just my guess. Seems to be what the pro sports teams are doing: sideline the infecteds and the close contacts, but the rest can play.

Long way of saying I'm wondering if these are courtesy postponements or necessity ones (no one on roster is clear).

Of course, I suppose the entire roster could have been in close contact in which case the pooch has been screwed.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:22 pm

8meterPA,

You are pretty much exactly right except it takes more than 1 girl. In Villanova's case, it involved contact tracing within their Junior Class. The good news based on my knowledge of that program and a few others, 98% of the time it only affects 1-2 games. Sometimes only 1 if there is a week until that teams next game. These girls are getting used to protocols and as the season progresses these issues should begin to normalize. So it's like 2-3 girls testing positive, which turns into 8-10 total in contact tracing. That usually takes a few days and subsequent negative test by those who are deemed close contacts to get back on track. So far, I don't think any team has had any really bad "outbreaks" or what I should say are effectively "mass contact tracing events" Hope that insight helps!! BTW, Villanova opens on 2/21 against Wagner at 5PM...

Joe
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DMac

Post by DMac »

Very sad, my condolences. This kind of thing is very tough on a family, my brother died at 25 from cancer, it's just brutal.
RIP Julia.

SU....Shippensburg University.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Should be #2 in the polls after that Baltimore Massacre. They look wagon-loaded, hungry and capable. No sign of Edward Hyde today.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:26 pm Baltimore Massacre
Please have some sense that your words matter. My little feelings are hurt. Good game for Cuse, bad game for Loyola, but calling it a massacre is....let me know when your princess is playing so I can comment.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Per 8meterPA:

“Hawryschuk injury - sounds like it's an ACL according to article in us lax mag

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... e-goes-off‬

prior to that news, I really thought Syracuse had a legit chance to compete with UNC, now not so sure.”

Good little piece of investigative reporting there, PA!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Cletus wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:57 am Per 8meterPA:

“Hawryschuk injury - sounds like it's an ACL according to article in us lax mag

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... e-goes-off‬

prior to that news, I really thought Syracuse had a legit chance to compete with UNC, now not so sure.”

Good little piece of investigative reporting there, PA!
I think this puts the kibosh on the rest of the Orange season as far as the national championship goes.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Wonder if she'll stay for a sixth year. Impressive that the rest of the attack didn't miss a beat vs. SBU. They'll still be a great team, just probably not Great, ya know?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Caught wind of this a couple of days ago from a typically reliable source, turns out he was right yet again.
Couldn't feel worse for Hawryschuk, just an absolute kick in the asz for her. Hate to see this happen to any
athlete.
I wouldn't be selling Cuse short. While #51 is undeniably a force and will be missed, this Cuse team is loaded
with offensive talent (D too) and I won't be at all surprised to see some of these girls who might have been
complimentary players playing in the shadow of EH step up big. I think we might have already seen that.
Time will tell.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:13 pm Caught wind of this a couple of days ago from a typically reliable source, turns out he was right yet again.
Couldn't feel worse for Hawryschuk, just an absolute kick in the asz for her. Hate to see this happen to any
athlete.
I wouldn't be selling Cuse short. While #51 is undeniably a force and will be missed, this Cuse team is loaded
with offensive talent (D too) and I won't be at all surprised to see some of these girls who might have been
complimentary players playing in the shadow of EH step up big. I think we might have already seen that.
Time will tell.
They looked pretty darn good on Saturday versus Stony Brook without EH. Still a monster team that can play tough defense and put the ball in the back of the net.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

I’m not convinced that Stoney Brook was all that much of a test. I want to see Cuse against an elite test in the Circle and on offense. Most teams have no idea how to beat a backer zone, but UNC, ND and NU do and we will see two of them in ACC play. If a team can find a way to attack from the wings, drive to draw the double and pass to the cutters as they draw open, the Cuse D won’t look as good as it does now. It’s a great and aggressive D that a few well coached teams over the years find a way to pick apart. Having said all of that, I dare to say their offense didn’t miss a beat against a vastly inferior Non-pressure zone that was child’s play for a team that practices against high pressure.
totc

Post by totc »

Hawryschuk is a heck of a player, to be sure. But for SU to be a contender against The Blue Wall, they'd have to get a Jenner-esque level of draw controls and a save percentage of 55 percent or better. And have her in the lineup.

Yes, I'm saying Syracuse has been overrated thus far this season (and I went there as a grad student!). It's just that the team has lost so much awesome talent the last few seasons and, I think, has to find the right players up the middle. Mind you, I wouldn't want to go through the defensive quartet they have right now.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You're seeing things I'm not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmL0pcfX7dE
Overrated? How so, they've looked pretty good to me on both ends of the field and the middle.
Hanging in there pretty good with draws, turning FPSs into goals?
Lot of talented stick handlers on this team, move the ball nicely,
shoot it with zip and with pretty good accuracy. D is relentless and
tenacious, O is pretty darn nice looking, GK pretty darn good too.
Where should they be rated?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”