You've always wanted to know... useless information thread

General Chatter
RedFromMI

Re: You've always wanted to know... useless information thread

Post by RedFromMI »

DMac wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:59 pm Wow, all you righties' eyes will glaze over quickly here, but check this out.

"The literal meaning of "ambidextrous" is "right-handed on both sides." It refers to a person who can use both hands equally well. But the Middle English "ambidexter" meant "double-dealer," as well. ... "That's Latin for 'left-handed on both sides. '

"Ambidexter (plural ambidexters) Someone who is ambidextrous. (archaic) A lawyer who takes fees from both plaintiff and defendant. (by extension) Someone who is two-faced; a double-dealer."

You righties are a very biased lot.
You should be ashamed of yourselves.
Because left-handedness was considered "bad" to have the original Latin word for left-handed (sinister) took on a whole new meaning...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:34 am This one truly falls under the useless information category.
Like to play with a wood burner every once in awhile. Not
so much anymore but was screwing around one day and made
this, stumbled upon it this morning..it's actually pretty cool,
IMO, of course. Doesn't make it any less a worthless POS, but
anything with a lacrosse stick in it aint all bad. :D
That is tattoo worthy. Nicely done.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:37 pm good stuff, thank you! :lol:
Have not heard from you in a spell CotB...hope all is well and you are working on another project in the woodshop.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Here's a game that's hard to win!

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:28 pm Here's a game that's hard to win!

%@@^#&@# I lost!
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Game over time for wings.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DMac

Post by DMac »

This goes under useless information, completely insignificant too. Oh, and I miss the Chairman.
Those of us old enough have seen this opening many, many times. Chuck unloading that rifle in
fine style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMN8a3ZRUY
Think most know Chuck was a lefty so why the righty shooting in the opening?
Now check this one out....you betchya, lefty through and through so w*t*f
with the opening to the show? I did say useless and insignificant but here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7k7SIydMok
NYK
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

DMac wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:14 pm This goes under useless information, completely insignificant too. Oh, and I miss the Chairman.
Those of us old enough have seen this opening many, many times. Chuck unloading that rifle in
fine style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMN8a3ZRUY
Think most know Chuck was a lefty so why the righty shooting in the opening?
Now check this one out....you betchya, lefty through and through so w*t*f
with the opening to the show? I did say useless and insignificant but here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7k7SIydMok
NYK
It's amazing how the smallest things trigger memories. I didn't have to watch the clip. Just the two words Chuck and rifle and I knew exactly where your post would lead me. :thumbsup:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:14 pm Oh, and I miss the Chairman.
Likewise. I was chatting with him off line just before he signed off.
~Livy
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Nachos were invented by Mr Nacho.

"Nacho" is a common nickname for the Spanish name Ignacio. The heroic "Nacho" who is immortalized by the dish (Ignacio Anaya) first crafted the snack almost by accident, when he was pressured to create a meal using whatever he could find in the kitchen. As the dish’s origin legend goes, nachos were first crafted by "Nacho" when he was working as the maître d' of a restaurant in Piedras Negras, Mexico. Right before closing, a party of women came in for a bite to eat. They were the wives of officers stationed at Fort Duncan in Texas, and would cross over the border to shop. The restaurant’s cook was nowhere to be found, but the ladies did not leave disappointed. The maître d' combined the first three things he found in the kitchen: shredded Wisconsin cheddar, tortilla chips, and sliced jalapeños. When the women asked him what this new improvised creation was called, he told them “Nacho Especiales.”

now you know
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:03 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:14 pm Oh, and I miss the Chairman.
Likewise. I was chatting with him off line just before he signed off.
Do you know why he signed off? Unless his reason was not for public consumption, could you share?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Dunno if this falls under the category of useless info but I'll give it a go .....

Plan to end Pennsylvania’s state-run liquor store monopoly gets some opposition in Philadelphia

https://whyy.org/articles/plan-to-end-p ... ladelphia/

An effort to eliminate Pennsylvania’s state-run liquor monopoly through a constitutional amendment is already running into roadblocks, even before the question is on the ballot.

State Rep. Natalie Mihalek, a Republican from Allegheny County, is preparing a constitutional amendment to privatize the state’s liquor system. Her belief is that the convenience of private operation of liquor sales far outweighs the state monopoly that has been the way Pennsylvania has handled liquor sales for decades.

Pennsylvania is one of only two states that has a state-run liquor system and there have been numerous attempts to change that, including as recently as 2015 when a bill made it to Governor Tom Wolf’s desk before being rejected.

State Senators Anthony Williams and Tina Tartaglione, both Democrats, went to a liquor store in Philadelphia’s Gray’s Ferry neighborhood Tuesday morning to speak out against the proposal along with members of the union that represents the workers in the facilities, who number about 5,000 statewide.

Senator Williams said the change could put thousands of people out of good-paying jobs with benefits and pensions, and he plans to fight the proposal. He questioned the reasons for ending the liquor monopoly when it returned over $800 million in profits in the past fiscal year to the state.

“There’s not one single department or unit of government that has such a prosperous return on investment, not one,” Williams said. “It hires and employs over 5,000 Pennsylvanians that receive pensions, benefits, and the privilege of their salary being protected.”

Mihalek said the goal of her constitutional amendment is to let the people of the state decide what is best for them. She refuted the $800 million number, saying the majority of the money comes from sales tax and a liquor tax that would not change if the sales were transferred to private operators. It’s more like $200 million, said Mihalek, which she believes will be made up from the taxes on increased sales from more stores that would arise from private ownership.

Things are never easy in Pennsylvania when it comes to alcohol rules.

Denise Brown is a single mother who put her son through college working in state liquor stores in the Philadelphia region. She joined Williams and spoke out about the importance of the security that a union job brings. She said she’s afraid if the government ends the Liquor Control Board monopoly on sales, she and many of her co-workers would never be able to find a similar job with equal wages and benefits.

Senator Tartaglione said the state-run liquor stores give Pennsylvania more control to prevent underage liquor sales and have stores even in areas that lose money to provide a service to the public. She said that’s something that would never happen if private enterprises ran the operation. She says the constitutional amendment is a move by Republicans trying to circumvent the legislature’s ability to do their job by taking the question directly to the voters.

Wendell Young IV is the head of United Food and Commercial Workers Local 1776, which represents liquor store employees. He said the state shouldn’t abolish a program that has so many people in good-paying jobs and that makes a big profit.

He said if a business in Pennsylvania was preparing to cut 5,000 jobs, there would be state subsidies provided to keep those employees working. He called the move “disrespectful to the voters of Pennsylvania.”

Young believes if the constitutional amendment were to pass it would create chaos, because the change would have to be completed in 18 months. Mihalek said previous incarnations of legislation could be used as a guide to make for a smooth transition and with a timetable established, people would be able to work toward the change with a definitive deadline.

In order for the constitutional amendment to be approved, the State House and Senate would have to approve the change in two successive sessions. Only then would it go to the voters for a final decision.

All the profits go to the state rather than private hands. That'll end any possible state deficit as the money is reinvested in the state. Put it into private hands and the money will be sheltered. Smarter to keep it as is. But that's up to the folks there to determine for themselves.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

In first two months of legalized sports betting, NY state has taken in $2B.

The NY excise tax on legalized online gambling is 51% of betting revenue adjusted up for the $500, $1000 $1500 promotional amounts given on opening an online account.

How much is being taken in illegally by those who do not want their winnings known for income tax purposes?
The parent, not the coach.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Jim Malone wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:34 pm In first two months of legalized sports betting, NY state has taken in $2B.

The NY excise tax on legalized online gambling is 51% of betting revenue adjusted up for the $500, $1000 $1500 promotional amounts given on opening an online account.

How much is being taken in illegally by those who do not want their winnings known for income tax purposes?
Under tax regulations any payment in excess of $600 must be reported by the payer via 1099 form. Because of that there may well be monies that go untaxed every year. In those cases the IRS checks the records of deposits made by the recipients. If those deposits exceed the amounts reported on the 1099s the government will assume they are untaxed gambling income and impose a tax. When I was an IRS agent all those many moons ago I caught a few naughty people who hadn't complied with the tax law thru that method.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Here's some info that's really useless: went shopping for groceries at Target's in West St Paul (Dakota County). The skies burst open and we got a massive rainfall. I did not bring my umbrella and got somewhat soaked (used a plastic shopping bag to cover my head and neck). Thankfully, the bus was there on time so as to keep the soaking to a minimum. We drove North on the bus to Ramsey County only five minutes away. Guess what - not a single drop of water fell. I was amazed to see the streets utterly bone dry. Looking out my window just now, the sun is shining and we remain in a drought.

Such is life in Lake Wobegone.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Just a bump to get the garbage off the top.
You've probably all wanted to know who my
fave bartender at the watering hole is so here
you go. Stunner...5'10".
AOD

Post by AOD »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:15 pm Just a bump to get the garbage off the top.
You've probably all wanted to know who my
fave bartender at the watering hole is so here
you go. Stunner...5'10".
Was that stick made by Alfie?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Indeed it was, the right-hand man of the Creator himself (he truly was a special guy. RIP).
She played a little HS wlax, told me she had a wooden stick at home, was her father's. I told
her I'd bring mine in so she could touch it.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”