ardilla secreta

Re: You've always wanted to know... useless information thread

Post by ardilla secreta »

Love the broc. Just don’t overcook it.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Nigel wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:39 am The History of Broccoli

As far as vegetables are concerned, broccoli is a bit divisive–people either love it or hate it, but its history as a preferred source of food and nutrition has existed since the Roman Empire.

(snip)

No matter which variety you get, broccoli is rich in calcium and has anti-oxidant properties which help prevent some forms of cancer. The same sulfur that can cause gas from over-cooked broccoli also has beneficial antiviral and antibiotic properties.

NYK
I have no idea what prompted you to make a post on broccoli......but this post has my enthusiastic endorsement.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

great post! i make it 2x a week. just roast in the oven with olive oil & salt. i like it charred and crispy.

for years i tossed the stems. then one day, about 2012 or so, i cut the stems into fingers and they are just delicious. didnt know i was wasting them.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:19 pm great post! i make it 2x a week. just roast in the oven with olive oil & salt. i like it charred and crispy.

for years i tossed the stems. then one day, about 2012 or so, i cut the stems into fingers and they are just delicious. didnt know i was wasting them.
If the stems are fresh - they often are even better as the flower tips can dry out. I tend to eat broccoli just like other vegetables - uncooked or even just barely cooked. But I may try the oven roasting - sounds great!
ChairmanOfTheBoard

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:27 am
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:19 pm great post! i make it 2x a week. just roast in the oven with olive oil & salt. i like it charred and crispy.

If the stems are fresh - they often are even better as the flower tips can dry out. I tend to eat broccoli just like other vegetables - uncooked or even just barely cooked. But I may try the oven roasting - sounds great!
can't believe i spent years wasting it...

all i do is cut the florets, salt and olive oil, roast in a pan 40min at 400' (last few min you should broil). same for the stems. caution! they will be charred!
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:34 am
RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:27 am

can't believe i spent years wasting it...

all i do is cut the florets, salt and olive oil, roast in a pan 40min at 400' (last few min you should broil). same for the stems. caution! they will be charred!
I actually don't mind charred at all - as long as it is not 100% charcoal...
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

just to let you know, it didn't quite start in the 1960s:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ChairmanOfTheBoard

fake?

the text looks photoshopped.

but then again, so do these!

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ variety being the spice of life, I'm sure most folks won't object to having both :D
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

ChairmanOfTheBoard

Jesus H. Christ!

But what does this mean???

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2019 ... hrist.html
The most likely suggestion is that it comes from a monogram made of the first three letters of the Greek name for Jesus.

In Greek, “Jesus” is ΙΗΣΟΥΣ in uppercase letters and Ἰησοῦς in lower. The first three letters (iota, eta, and sigma) form a monogram, or graphic symbol, written as either IHS or IHC in Latin letters.
(insert joke about it's all Greek to me)

Now You Know.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:44 pm Jesus H. Christ!

The most likely suggestion is that it comes from a monogram made of the first three letters of the Greek name for Jesus.

In Greek, “Jesus” is ΙΗΣΟΥΣ in uppercase letters and Ἰησοῦς in lower. The first three letters (iota, eta, and sigma) form a monogram, or graphic symbol, written as either IHS or IHC in Latin letters.

Now You Know.
The Greek transliterated to English is Iesous (think Yay souce for pronunciation due to the eta being a long e). Greek form of Hebrew Yeshua or Y'shua which is related to Joshua as well.

Latin version originally was IESVS which morphed to Jesus.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

but no "H"?

now I know.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

From Urban Dictionary

Some say it stood for Holy, some say it stood for Harold because of, "Our Father, who art in heaven, Harold be thy name".

I've been saying the prayer wrong for almost 50 years???
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

A youngster was burying his beloved pet, and the final prayer was, "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and into the hole he goes."
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:44 pm Jesus H. Christ!

Now You Know.
I’ve been wondering what IHS meant on many of the headstones I see at an old German cemetery I walk through. NIK.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

what exactly is a cat burglar???

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cat ... 20jail.%5D
A 'Cat burglar' is a burglar who enters buildings by extraordinarily skilful feats of climbing.
so that's it, they just climb well. like cats.

but could it be that they actually steal felines???
Searches for the term 'cat burglar' turn up only a few hits prior to 1907 and these are all to stories of people who have stolen a cat or of a cat itself being found to be the culprit when something had gone missing.
now you know.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:53 pm what exactly is a cat burglar???

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cat ... 20jail.%5D
A 'Cat burglar' is a burglar who enters buildings by extraordinarily skilful feats of climbing.
so that's it, they just climb well. like cats.

but could it be that they actually steal felines???
Searches for the term 'cat burglar' turn up only a few hits prior to 1907 and these are all to stories of people who have stolen a cat or of a cat itself being found to be the culprit when something had gone missing.
now you know.
I think this video will attest to that last part.

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

that's a good one. i think i've seen it before, thanks!

as i type this there is one feline partially on the keyboard. :lol:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

a fan wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:19 pm
Nigel wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:39 am The History of Broccoli

As far as vegetables are concerned, broccoli is a bit divisive–people either love it or hate it, but its history as a preferred source of food and nutrition has existed since the Roman Empire.

(snip)

No matter which variety you get, broccoli is rich in calcium and has anti-oxidant properties which help prevent some forms of cancer. The same sulfur that can cause gas from over-cooked broccoli also has beneficial antiviral and antibiotic properties.

NYK
I have no idea what prompted you to make a post on broccoli......but this post has my enthusiastic endorsement.

Ditto for me! Broccoli taste good and is good fer ya. Put lots of it in my soups and casseroles.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”