Looking Forward to 2021

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Looking Forward to 2021

Post by Cletus »

Some teams that have key players returning. Syracuse, Hawryschuk, UNC, Hoeg

Will the game itself be played any differently? Will the rules committee change any rules before then? After the 2020 season, it became apparent that the committees "points of emphasis" weren't important--to anyone, in the end. Stickwork was noticeably up this season from what I saw. Crosschecking has largely become the norm for defenders. I noticed it was whistled less this past year.  

There were a number of teams that were looking primed to make some noise in the post season: Notre Dame, Loyola, Syracuse, et al. It will be interesting to see if these teams will be able to maintain that mojo through this present Ice Age.

If Northwestern lands Mueller from Virginia, it will certainly help the Wildcats--but I don’t know if it will get them the big trophy in the end. I have to think that the Tar Heels will still be favored to win it all next year.

Televised/streamed broadcasts still have a lot of room to improve and get more consistent. For instance, I checked in on the Penn State/Lehigh game from earlier this year on BTN+ and the frame was way too wide on the action (Read: the camera was too far away so as to make watching the game a real labor of love.) It was also out of focus. I don’t know how a Big 10 school can put on such a crapbag production, but not all the major (and minor) colleges and universities have pride (or a clue) when they broadcast their school’s women’s lacrosse games. Some broadcasters display shot clocks on screen, some don’t. Some have player advantage time clocks, some don’t. Too inconsistent. Sometimes the announcers know the game, sometimes they don’t. Sometimes the cameraperson has a clue, sometimes they grab any student available and stick them in front of a camera and say, “Do your best.”

In any event, it’s a long, long wait for next season. Who knows what 2021 will look like. Very difficult to predict at this point. Let’s hope it arrives on time, preserved and intact.
Matnum PI

Re: Looking Forward to 2021

Post by Matnum PI »

Emily Hawryschuk and @CuseWLAX teammate Asa Goldstock announced they're coming back in 2021.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
shenandoahslammer

Post by shenandoahslammer »

D1 Non-revenue generating sports at risk -
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... orts/56338

There is a change.org petition here:
https://www.change.org/p/mark-emmert-st ... g-pandemic
Cletus

Where the transfers are going?

Post by Cletus »

Not to Maryland so far. Sammy Mueller to Northwestern; Kaeli Huff to Stony Brook; Kerrigan Miller to UNC; Gabby Rosenzweig to Duke.

Looks like each player is ending up at a school that could challenge for the title next year.

Add Stony Brook to the list of teams I think could contend for it all next year. If they get it going at the right time they could finally break through. There's still something fickle about how the fates treat the Tar Heels in the postseason to say it's a done deal. Loyola is squarely in the mix to contend as well. Syracuse too, although they are even worse stricken than UNC when it comes to postseason disappointment.
Dr. Tact

Re: Where the transfers are going?

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:37 pm Not to Maryland so far. Sammy Mueller to Northwestern; Kaeli Huff to Stony Brook; Kerrigan Miller to UNC; Gabby Rosenzweig to Duke.

Looks like each player is ending up at a school that could challenge for the title next year.

Add Stony Brook to the list of teams I think could contend for it all next year. If they get it going at the right time they could finally break through. There's still something fickle about how the fates treat the Tar Heels in the postseason to say it's a done deal. Loyola is squarely in the mix to contend as well. Syracuse too, although they are even worse stricken than UNC when it comes to postseason disappointment.
Duke will not challenge for the title next year.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:32 pm
Cletus wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:37 pm Not to Maryland so far. Sammy Mueller to Northwestern; Kaeli Huff to Stony Brook; Kerrigan Miller to UNC; Gabby Rosenzweig to Duke.

Have to agree. Duke will be ok but don’t see them going to a final four.
Big losers in transfer portal game are :
Syracuse and BC
ND didn’t really need anyone, most of their seniors coming back along with 12 incoming freshmen. They may have a huge roster.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:32 pm

I think I was a bit abrupt with that take there.....Duke will be much improved and they were trending up this season. I think they will be a top 10 team, but I could make an argument that they are #3 (or 4) in the ACC next year. So, with that, I stand by my comment. They will not challenge for the Natty. They have improved with the addition of Gabby R, but that wont get them past UNC or Cuse, in my opinion. apologies to Backstreets....
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:48 pm Big losers in transfer portal game are :
Syracuse and BC
ND didn’t really need anyone, most of their seniors coming back along with 12 incoming freshmen. They may have a huge roster.
Two other big losers are Loyola and U.MD
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:13 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:48 pm Big losers in transfer portal game are :
Syracuse and BC
Sorry, why is Syracuse a big loser in the transfer thing?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:46 pm
Syracuse and BC
In. My opinion, neither team got a transfer that they would have benefited from. Syracuse was in the mix for Miller and wanted her pretty badly. She would have put them a step above competition. BC needed some help from trying to recover from what they lost last year. So another senior transfer with good stats and a lot of experience prob would have greatly benefitted them. Syracuse was in contention this year so a big chip would only have made them better (in theory of course) again just my opinion...
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Who's to say Loyola and/or Syracuse won't have anyone transfer to them later this offseason?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:23 am Who's to say Loyola and/or Syracuse won't have anyone transfer to them later this offseason?
From what I am hearing, PL teams may not be allowed to accept 5th year transfers....that is just a rumor and completely unconfirmed, but I am a half-empty kind of guy.....
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:28 am
Cletus wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:23 am Who's to say Loyola and/or Syracuse won't have anyone transfer to them later this offseason?
From what I am hearing, PL teams may not be allowed to accept 5th year transfers....that is just a rumor and completely unconfirmed, but I am a half-empty kind of guy.....
Oh that's right Doc. I've been hearing that too. Well, Syracuse may still land someone in that case. It will make it even more impressive if the Hounds win it all next year with no help from the portal.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:08 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:46 pm
Syracuse and BC
In. My opinion, neither team got a transfer that they would have benefited from. Syracuse was in the mix for Miller and wanted her pretty badly. She would have put them a step above competition. BC needed some help from trying to recover from what they lost last year. So another senior transfer with good stats and a lot of experience prob would have greatly benefitted them. Syracuse was in contention this year so a big chip would only have made them better (in theory of course) again just my opinion...
OK, thanks. Syracuse carries a big roster and sometimes redshirts kids they already have. I'm not sure (I mean this literally) Syracuse has much room for transfers. No doubt someone like Miller comes along and room... appears; but their roster is pretty set, seems to me.
Cletus

Is this encouraging for high schoolers/future recruits?

Post by Cletus »

From US Lacrosse:

"DENVER WOMEN'S COACH LIZA KELLY'S LETTER TO THE CLASS OF 2022
WED APR 29 2020 | LIZA KELLY | COLLEGE

This letter originally appeared on DenverPioneers.com and is being republished with permission from the athletic department.

Dear Class of 2022,

One of my favorite songs is “Under Pressure” by David Bowie and Queen. This is a driving-into-work-game-day song for me. I love the idea that this is our chance to step up and do the right thing under pressure; when it really matters.

This is our perception ... we feel under pressure. Pressure that we won’t get recruited. Pressure that we won’t get better. Pressure that we won’t get to enjoy playing the sport that we love.

But our reality is that we have time. Time to breathe. Time to work on our individual game. Time to focus on getting our grades up to keep our options endless.

So, a couple of thoughts:

We will wait for you. When you can retake the field, we will be there.

We will do our homework. We will watch film. We will make calls to see what kind of person and player you are. We will find out what kind of student you are.

You will have more time to do your homework. You can learn more about Denver and all the other schools out there. What majors and minors we have. Take a virtual tour.

September 1 will be the start of our personal correspondence. That may look different this fall. But whatever the NCAA decides, we will be excited to reach out and get to know you!

Girls, we are all in this boat together. We can choose to be angry that our motor is broken and the wind isn’t blowing, or we can get our paddles out and go to work. Take care of yourselves. Help your families out! Get outside and play! We will see you soon!

Pioneer Pride,

Liza, Brice and Britt"
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

seacoaster wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:03 am Article on Rosenzweig, G.:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... duke/56362
One of my favorite players - Duke is now top 4/6 team, wow. Excited to see them play.
Cletus

Looking Forward to Duke in 2021

Post by Cletus »

8meterPA wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:54 am One of my favorite players - Duke is now top 4/6 team, wow. Excited to see them play.
It will be interesting to see how they do next year. I thought they still had their best lacrosse ahead of them when the season ended. Some seniors across div 1 will move on to post college life, maybe most of them. Duke doesn't seem to have many seniors, and I'm not sure how many will return, but they have a good nucleus of players. Add Gabby and Duke makes the ACC just that much tougher than any of the other div 1 conferences/leagues, and that much tougher to play in next year.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:54 am

One of my favorite players - Duke is now top 4/6 team, wow. Excited to see them play.
Still not convinced that Coaching will allow a top 4 team in Duke. Let's not go crazy...I really, really like Gabby (and her sister), but one player doesn't transform a 16th ranked Duke to #4. M.O.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:20 am
8meterPA wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:54 am

Still not convinced that Coaching will allow a top 4 team in Duke. Let's not go crazy...I really, really like Gabby (and her sister), but one player doesn't transform a 16th ranked Duke to #4. M.O.
I agree she is a terrific player, but I don't think she jumps Duke up the charts to a final four spot. 8Meterpa, are there other transfers into Duke?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”