Johns Hopkins Coach Search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Drcthru

Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by Drcthru »

Let the speculation begin :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
steel_hop

Re: Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by steel_hop »

I think you can break down into 2 groups - Hopkins alums or have a connection to Hopkins and those that don't that would be possibilities. While Tillman, Danowski, etc are great coaches they are not likely coming to Hopkins. Moreover, I think they will go with an offensive guy over a defensive guy. And, yes, I know my list has Nads and Raymond at the top of the Hopkins guys.

Hopkins alums in my preferred view.
1) Nads
2) Raymond
3) Marr

Big Gap

4) Tierney, Voekler, etc.

Non Hopkins guys - no particular order
Warne, Shay, Millman, maybe a Chermontti or Amplo (though I doubt he moves so soon).

I don't think you are going to see Hopkins pluck a DI coordinator like Wellner or Kirwin.

I should add, Hopkins shouldn't just look at Hopkins only guys but get the best guy they can.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I'd be looking closely at: Nads, Chemotti, Kevin Warne and Bill Wilson
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Hopkins probably isn’t the place to cut your teeth as a first time HC. However, I’d strongly consider Matt Danowski provided I could get assurances he wouldn’t return to Durham when Dino Sr. retires.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

redfoxalum wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:09 pm I’d strongly consider Matt Danowski
Ew, no thanks.

I suspect it will be one of Nadelen, Marr, or Raymond. Though I wouldn't totally count out non-alums like Warne, Chemotti, Torpey, Wray, etc. Don't think they are going to shell out the money for someone like Shay or Tillman given the global crisis.
Thor1

Post by Thor1 »

Nadelen
Raymond
Chemotti

All 3 bring youth and have built very successful programs

I like Amplo but he isn't leaving Navy that quickly
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Nadelen and Marr make most sense because they've got the big success independent of being alums. Both made Final Fours in the last three years; in Nadelen's case first time in 15+ years at Towson, Marr's first time ever at Albany. Both are the most successful coaches at the D1 level in their school's history

I'd probably put them in their own tier as Favorites. Raymond is the best choice out of the alums category, they should definitely shy away from Tierney especially and Voelker. As a Maryland fan, I would not like to see Kevin Warne get that job. Tillman, Shay, Dano are probably the three best active coaches going but as we've seen in CFB recently, coaches don't tend to leave big time jobs for other ones. They could look into going after good young coaches, Petro was young when he got the job. Torpey, Chemotti, Wray all done a real good job. So I'd say

Nadelen
Marr

Raymond

Warne
Chemotti
Torpey
Wray
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:38 pm I think you can break down into 2 groups - Hopkins alums or have a connection to Hopkins and those that don't that would be possibilities. While Tillman, Danowski, etc are great coaches they are not likely coming to Hopkins. Moreover, I think they will go with an offensive guy over a defensive guy. And, yes, I know my list has Nads and Raymond at the top of the Hopkins guys.

1) Nads
2) Raymond
3) Marr

Big Gap

Warne, Shay, Millman, maybe a Chermontti or Amplo (though I doubt he moves so soon).

I don't think you are going to see Hopkins pluck a DI coordinator like Wellner or Kirwin.

I should add, Hopkins shouldn't just look at Hopkins only guys but get the best guy they can.
As a Cuse fan whose very familiar with Raymond and Marr I think Raymond would be a pretty good pick and makes the most sense of the alumni guys. He's done a real nice job at Hobart is a younger guy and runs a free flowing aggressive offense that I think Hopkins fans are dying for. Will take him a year or two to transition Hop to what he wants to do but I could see him having some serious success there assuming his recruiting stays strong with the big jump in competition.

Marr to me would be a big mistake for both sides. Marr has his own fifedom going om at Albany and I mean that in a good way. He does a real good job mining NYS for under the radar guys and native players across the country. He has zero pressure from the school and very little from the fan base. Just don't see him being a fit at Hopkins at this point on his career. It scream square peg into a round hole.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Warne overcame and really won over a very angry and bitter lax alumni base at GT to find success this year. It took 2-3 years, but he stuck with his plan and made it work. Seems like he might be up to a challenge like Hopkins. Both institutions are highly regarded academic institutions whose lax alumni and Admin expect a lot.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:16 pm Warne overcame and really won over a very angry and bitter lax alumni base at GT to find success this year. It took 2-3 years, but he stuck with his plan and made it work. Seems like he might be up to a challenge like Hopkins. Both institutions are highly regarded academic institutions whose lax alumni and Admin expect a lot.
What are JHU's advantages over Georgetown from this point forward?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

My first thought on Marr is would he consider it? Is he not one of Petro's best friends - played together - Kyle played for DP etc.?? Obviously what feeds the cat is most important to most but let's face it - Petro got removed - does Marr want such a job under those circumstances? Hopefully, they'll pick a good one.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Greg Raymond.

That's all.

Book it.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:17 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:16 pm Warne overcame and really won over a very angry and bitter lax alumni base at GT to find success this year. It took 2-3 years, but he stuck with his plan and made it work. Seems like he might be up to a challenge like Hopkins. Both institutions are highly regarded academic institutions whose lax alumni and Admin expect a lot.

Salary
B1G schedule vs Big East.
B1G Money/TV access
Program recognition among recruits
Cordish/Homewood over Cooper Field
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

Raymond also has the added benefit of coaching a D1 sport at a D3 school already. I may be wrong but I think there are some very unique compliance and recruiting challenges that come with that.

He's the betting favorite to get the job I think.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:28 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:17 pm

Salary
B1G schedule vs Big East.
B1G Money/TV access
Program recognition among recruits
Cordish/Homewood over Cooper Field
Those are positive attributes that may be more appealing to recruits than the coach. I am not sure if Hopkins is a better job than Gtown right now. Maybe the Richmond or High Point coach?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:49 pm
steel_hop wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:38 pm I think you can break down into 2 groups - Hopkins alums or have a connection to Hopkins and those that don't that would be possibilities. While Tillman, Danowski, etc are great coaches they are not likely coming to Hopkins. Moreover, I think they will go with an offensive guy over a defensive guy. And, yes, I know my list has Nads and Raymond at the top of the Hopkins guys.

1) Nads
2) Raymond
3) Marr

Big Gap

As a Cuse fan whose very familiar with Raymond and Marr I think Raymond would be a pretty good pick and makes the most sense of the alumni guys. He's done a real nice job at Hobart is a younger guy and runs a free flowing aggressive offense that I think Hopkins fans are dying for. Will take him a year or two to transition Hop to what he wants to do but I could see him having some serious success there assuming his recruiting stays strong with the big jump in competition.

Marr to me would be a big mistake for both sides. Marr has his own fifedom going om at Albany and I mean that in a good way. He does a real good job mining NYS for under the radar guys and native players across the country. He has zero pressure from the school and very little from the fan base. Just don't see him being a fit at Hopkins at this point on his career. It scream square peg into a round hole.
Excellent post Jeremy...I agree re Marr 100%. And at this point in his life why would he want to be held captive to all the pressure that comes with JHU tradition and expectations? That said, his Albany teams have been just as good if not better the past few years. If Marr was ten years younger, maybe, just maybe he would consider.

For the program, Hopkins needs a brash, young coach who won't flinch at that wall of pressure. Does he exist?

Then again, does the current Hop admin even care about all that "tradition and expectation" and would they be happy with a respectable coach who runs a nice program yet doesn't make waves?
Last edited by tech37 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:58 pm Raymond also has the added benefit of coaching a D1 sport at a D3 school already. I may be wrong but I think there are some very unique compliance and recruiting challenges that come with that.

He's the betting favorite to get the job I think.
There was some talk on the Hobart thread that Raymond's wife is very connected to Geneva. Believe it or not 8-) that's a huge consideration.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

tech37 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:13 pm Then again, does the current Hop admin even care about all that "tradition and expectation" and would they be happy with a respectable coach who runs a nice program yet doesn't make waves?
If that's all they cared about then why not just keep Petro? There have been an incident or two over the years but nothing horrible—and certainly nothing we haven't seen at other programs. Wanting to win at a better rate certainly factored into this decision somewhat.

One benefit for Nads is that he wouldn't have to move and his wife wouldn't have to leave her job.
Towson2020

Post by Towson2020 »

100 Percent Nadelean is offered job. Does he take? that's only question.
I would say he did a GREAT job at Towson, but leaving off that 0-6 will be tough
tech37

Post by tech37 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:17 pm
tech37 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:13 pm Then again, does the current Hop admin even care about all that "tradition and expectation" and would they be happy with a respectable coach who runs a nice program yet doesn't make waves?
If that's all they cared about then why not just keep Petro? There have been an incident or two over the years but nothing horrible—and certainly nothing we haven't seen at other programs. Wanting to win at a better rate certainly factored into this decision somewhat.
Geez, obviously it wasn't working out. Besides the fans/alum, somebody wasn't happy.
Last edited by tech37 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”