Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:54 pm i've been in contact with several high level refs on this call this year.
my take -- if it looks like to them the guy was going to launch on his own, however he gets in there the goal will be waived. if it looks like to them he was avoiding launching (leaving feet), penalty or not it won't be.

they hate the rule. and also understandably believe it's the most difficult to adjudicate.
Thanks. I can understand the launch part. If a guy is one on one with goalie and shoots and a defender plows him into the goal, not sure how you can waive that goal off. Leaving his feet and then pushed in is a different story.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The sample sizes were not the same, nor were the schedules, but there is some very compelling evidence the team was drastically improved from last year despite the unimpressive final record.

Offense went from #52 to #32
Defense went from #54 to #42
Scoring margin went from #53 to #39
Man-up offense went from #33 to #13
Man-down defense went from #52 to #47
Shooting % went from #59 to #13
GBs per game went from #55 to #41
Clearing went from #66 to #31
PPG went from #53 to #32
Assists per game went from #51 to #36

The only team stat the NCAA records that was worse in '21 compared to '20 was faceoffs (went from #17 to #26) and I don't think that's a major concern.

The difference in shooting and clearing % was striking. Poor shooting and mind-numbingly terrible clearing were probably #1 and #2 on the list of complaints last year. Both have been addressed. Shooting % in particular went from a serious weakness to a strength. Maybe there was something to Milliman's preseason comments about designing the offense to shoot from high percentage areas. I think that, combined with the EMO improvement and the higher number of assisted goals suggest fairly good things about the offense moving forward in spite of the poor second half performance against Maryland.

All that in a year without a fall ball—without even meeting the players in person until a month before the season started, then missing 10 days of practice time right as the season was about to start...imagine what's possible after a full year or two.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

milliman took over as the program was good but not great at cornell. his doing or not, they elevated, and very easily could've been seen as a multi-year elite program.

the roller coaster of the hop thread is hilarious. <searching the twitter milliman-epstein-miami vice - tweet>.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:16 pm milliman took over as the program was good but not great at cornell. his doing or not, they elevated, and very easily could've been seen as a multi-year elite program.

the roller coaster of the hop thread is hilarious. <searching the twitter milliman-epstein-miami vice - tweet>.
:) True, quite the rollercoaster.

It's always been the most brutal of the threads as well as most active; regular 'eat their own' culture.

Perhaps because some of the other schools with significant fan bases have their own message boards where information is exchanged, arguments break out etc. Maybe that absorbs some of the concentrated attention.

On the plus side, in the midst of the bickering, there is lots and lots of good analysis and info. (ala the discussion wgdsr and TLD just had on the crease dive/push rule)

I find reading on FL and previously on LP to be much easier to follow than the threads on say, Sabre, which tend to be short little bits, disjointed from any other than the ones immediately linked.

On the topic, I'm a believer in 'patience' as coaching 'culture' usually takes time to have the impact fans hope will happen as the upside of coaching changes, whether they supported the change timing or not. Coaching changes happen eventually, so the upside is that it can lead to positive evolution of the 'culture' on or off the field. (or not)

I think the Hop faithful were most pleased this spring by the sorts of comments from the coaches that encouraged more risk taking from more of the players, less controlling of on field play...naturally there are some who will then see opportunities (missed?) by coaches to make in-game, or pre-game, decisions. And some whose disagreements about the change in the first place will overwhelm the discourse for them. And those who will incite those arguments.

Only time will tell if there's an actually been a sustainable change in style of play and whether that attracts other athletes who want to play in that system, for these coaches, at this school...
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon May 10, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:16 pm milliman took over as the program was good but not great at cornell. his doing or not, they elevated, and very easily could've been seen as a multi-year elite program.

Milliman was a upgrade on discipline over Kerwick but I’m still not sure on in game coaching and that’s what will make or break his tenure w Hop. He kind of underperformed at Cornell IMO particularly on the D side.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

If he can recruit a JT every couple of years, I won't complain too much.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Of course, but I don’t think he did. Kerwick is a amazing recruiter, whether as HC or AC that’s his strength. He’s a roll the ball out type of coach though. I believe Kerwick drove Teats arrival more than anyone else there but I could be wrong.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DerArzt

Post by DerArzt »

Does Hopkins have a goalie who can block a shot?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

^^ Its the year 2022, yes ?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”