Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

Getting good grades is "social justice warrior no fun" now? Okay.

Admitting every recruit no matter what their grades were like hasn't really worked out for the men's lacrosse program over the last 12 years. Might be time to try a slightly different approach. Lacrosse isn't basketball. When kids work hard in the classroom it's a decent bet they're also going to work hard on Homewood Field.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:31 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:14 pm
D2fan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:17 pm Milliman is making his mark in Upstate NY.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDeXwiihQ6j/

FOGO Logan Callahan from the same High School as TD Irelan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhYl2DbOHHc
So ... excellent faceoff man with 1580 (1600?) on his SATs and an unweighted grade average of 96 out of 100.

That’s the kind of lax player who would make both Coach Milliman and President Daniels happy.

Welcome to the Hopkins community, Mr. Callahan.

DocBarrister 8-)
the purpose of the mens lacrosse program is to win national championships to give the university something to smile about not satisfy the social justice warrior no fun crowd in the administrations quest for rankings.we get a kid with a 1050 who can play ssdm, fine, just tell janine t she needs an extra 10 pts a kid on their sats in this years class. The purpose of the other 18 athletic programs and rest of the student body is to bring the best and brightest from around the world to take a hopkins education and go out and rock. duke does just fine in the ratings admitting kids like zion who go there to major in basketball.
Being an excellent student and also an excellent lacrosse player who can help win championships are not mutually exclusive things.

President Daniels is an excellent university president, by the way. Hopkins can improve its already great reputation while winning championships. Those aren’t mutually exclusive either.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
viper

Post by viper »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:31 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:14 pm
D2fan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:17 pm Milliman is making his mark in Upstate NY.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDeXwiihQ6j/

FOGO Logan Callahan from the same High School as TD Irelan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhYl2DbOHHc
So ... excellent faceoff man with 1580 (1600?) on his SATs and an unweighted grade average of 96 out of 100.

That’s the kind of lax player who would make both Coach Milliman and President Daniels happy.

Welcome to the Hopkins community, Mr. Callahan.

DocBarrister 8-)
the purpose of the mens lacrosse program is to win national championships to give the university something to smile about not satisfy the social justice warrior no fun crowd in the administrations quest for rankings.we get a kid with a 1050 who can play ssdm, fine, just tell janine t she needs an extra 10 pts a kid on their sats in this years class. The purpose of the other 18 athletic programs and rest of the student body is to bring the best and brightest from around the world to take a hopkins education and go out and rock. duke does just fine in the ratings admitting kids like zion who go there to major in basketball.
So now we are complaining becuase an incoming recruit's SAT scores are "too high"??? If I remember correctly guys like Garvey and Watson had some pretty impressive academic credentials coming in (and while at JHU), and if anything it made them better players on the field.

Additionally, comparing big time D1 basketball recruting at Duke is apples and oranges with lacrosse. Higher revenue (aka basketball and football) usually means lower bars to get a better (more profitable) product on the field/court. I would imagine that Danowski doesn't get the same latitude as a Coach K.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:55 am Zimmerman to HOF. https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... ll-of-fame
Congratulations to all!

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Heard we landed yet another Canadian commit on offense, from the Hill Academy. Not sure if it's public yet. Milliman continues to get it done north of the border.

Here's Shack, Marr, and Turnbaugh talking with Mark Dixon about the 2018 Big Ten championship game vs. Maryland. Fun convo:

Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Hoponboard wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:38 pm Forget fall ball.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/08/06/universi ... on-online/
I’m starting to think forget the season.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:03 pm

Sadly, very possible.

We could have been South Korea. Instead, we’re Brazil.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Sad to see Daniels caved. MD's numbers are not increasing and the postivity rate is below 4%. As I have said in other threads, if any of my children were starting school as a freshman, they would be taking a gap year. There is absolutely no reason to spend 80K on college education that is on-line.

I guess the only credit Daniels gets is that this decision was made before tuition and room & board were due to the school - rent to 3rd parties are obviously not taken into context here.
viper

Post by viper »

steel_hop wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:29 am

Sad to see Daniels caved. MD's numbers are not increasing and the postivity rate is below 4%. As I have said in other threads, if any of my children were starting school as a freshman, they would be taking a gap year. There is absolutely no reason to spend 80K on college education that is on-line.

I guess the only credit Daniels gets is that this decision was made before tuition and room & board were due to the school - rent to 3rd parties are obviously not taken into context here.
As the parent of a child who lives off campus (not at Hopkins) at a school that just announced online only - all I can say is Amen Brother to the 3rd party renters not being accounted for!!
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

Just noticed that 2021 D Grant Litchfield (Belmont, MA) decommitted back in June; hadn’t seen it mentioned here. He was one of Petro’s last early recruits, committing silently before the recruiting rules changed in April 2017. He’s heading to Lehigh, as is Gomez. Wonder if there’s a Petro-Cassese connection.
That makes 6 of Petro’s 9 2021s who have decommitted, pretty much all of whom have been replaced by PM’s recruits.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Hopfan wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:35 am Just noticed that 2021 D Grant Litchfield (Belmont, MA) decommitted back in June; hadn’t seen it mentioned here. He was one of Petro’s last early recruits, committing silently before the recruiting rules changed in April 2017. He’s heading to Lehigh, as is Gomez. Wonder if there’s a Petro-Cassese connection.
That makes 6 of Petro’s 9 2021s who have decommitted, pretty much all of whom have been replaced by PM’s recruits.
Those 21s were encouraged to look elsewhere as PM rebuilt that class. He was not honoring DPs commitments except for the ones that made sense
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:48 am
Hopfan wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:35 am Just noticed that 2021 D Grant Litchfield (Belmont, MA) decommitted back in June; hadn’t seen it mentioned here. He was one of Petro’s last early recruits, committing silently before the recruiting rules changed in April 2017. He’s heading to Lehigh, as is Gomez. Wonder if there’s a Petro-Cassese connection.
Those 21s were encouraged to look elsewhere as PM rebuilt that class. He was not honoring DPs commitments except for the ones that made sense
I do NOT like that ... not one %#€*^%# bit.

If Johns Hopkins made a commitment to an incoming student, then the school should keep that commitment.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Grow up. It's the real world. First off, Johns Hopkins - as in the entire institution - did not make a commitment - Petro made a verbal commitment that if they behaved and got admitted academically, he would like them to come play lacrosse. Well, guess who is no longer there. Milliman honored every NLI signed - he had to - but he has done a pretty good job in my opinion to make them feel welcomed with putting them on the roster before they even started school and the little videos. He also has every right to pick the players that will come play for him close to 18 months from the time he became the head coach. I also imagine more than a couple chose to move on their own such as the goalie and the kid who decided to go to Yale.

IL has certainly dropped the ball lately - and they were doing better - on their recruiting commitment lists. Hopkins now - with Sgt. Friday, the FO young man and the decommit from Vermont - should have like 9 names I think (and Litchfield should be deleted) - and HF16 said something about a Hill player possibly committing so that might be 10 - time to shut that down.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Perhaps a little more complicated than just the NLI, but that's indeed when the player makes a firm commitment, met with the school's firm commitment in return. Note, an NLI can be done earlier than the last signing days. That's a choice. Before then, everyone is free to change their mind.

A bit more complicated if the school has actually accepted an early admission application, with coach support, which preempts other applications...I don't think that applies to any of these cases, but if it did that would be an actual issue.

But here's the bottomline, if a kid can gain admission to a school like Hopkins without the help of the lax coach, like the other applicants, then there's no problem. The only issue is that a sports slot assistance is no longer available because a particular coach is no longer there to support it. Tough, but comes with the turf of not being able to gain admission without that support. Everyone is aware of this pre-NLI risk.

I say this as someone who gained admission to my college with the help of lax and whose son gained admission to his school with the help of lax, so I have some empathy for the situation. We were both well above the median band at our schools (both Ivy), but when lots of perfect SAT's and valedictorians are turned away, we gotta just consider ourselves very fortunate to have found a path to to gain that nod relative to other qualified applicants. But how much of a calamity would it have been if that nod had been withdrawn prior to applications? In my case UVA, in my son's likely Middlebury. Not exactly a tragedy! And the same is true of these recruits who need to pivot. They'll go to other great schools and play ball if they wish.

On the FOGO with the great academic #'s, I wouldn't be surprised if Milliman positions Hopkins lax more akin to an Ivy pitch going forward (fantastic education and huge international brand), with the extra boost of athletic $ when better than pure need based assistance, which now, thanks to Bloomberg, rivals Ivy need based support. Hopkins has always had some of these sorts of players attracted to the educational opportunity and brand, not just the lax legacy brand, but the proportion may go up significantly if that's the recruiting pitch going forward.

Plenty of winning can happen with that mix.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:43 am A bit more complicated if the school has actually accepted an early admission application, with coach support, which preempts other applications...I don't think that applies to any of these cases, but if it did that would be an actual issue.
Agree 100% but given that Hopkins played MSM on March 10 2020 - Petro was gone a couple weeks later and these kids wouldn't show up - in a normal world - until late August 2021 - I don't think early admission applies to this timeline - but if so - then there would be an issue.
viper

Post by viper »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:48 am
Is this a statement of fact or your opinion? I am truly curious to know as it's a pretty bold statement. I understand if you can't give a specific source, but perhaps a general source (aka, "someone in the program", "a turned away recruit")
molo

Post by molo »

How many players on the Hopkins roster would get into Hopkins without the help of the lax coach? I think that for a while a few players on teams like Hopkins may have been admitted as students. My guess--not entirely uneducated but admittedly speculation--is that in recent years virtually all lax players on teams like Hopkins are athletic admits although the discussion about the recruit whose SATs are "too high" leads me to think that there may be a few. I'm basing this on the credentials of some of the students with whom I worked in the last decade who were turned down by Hopkins.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”