Extra year granted

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Lucky13

Re: Extra year granted

Post by Lucky13 »

I think the uncommitted 2021s are done. I’ve seen multiple 2021 girls reclassify to 2022 as well.
boyo

Post by boyo »

Lucky13 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:31 pm I think the uncommitted 2021s are done. I’ve seen multiple 2021 girls reclassify to 2022 as well.

Are you saying that 2021's are planing on waiting to start college so they can enter as a 2022?
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

No I know of several 2021s that didn’t get the offers they wanted so they enrolled in private school as 2022s.
boyo

Post by boyo »

@Lucky13, Got it thanks.. if I'm not mistaken this sounds similar to what sometimes happens on the boys side with " Holdbacks"
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

This is absurdity. There are plenty of spots for D1 but they may not be in the top 20-30 programs. Gonna reclassify for that? Good luck!
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

I don’t disagree it’s crazy...not a big fan of the red shirt trend generally.

I’ve heard that the opportunities at D1 programs for 2021s are very limited at this point, something that is unique to this year.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lucky13 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:52 am
I’ve heard that the opportunities at D1 programs for 2021s are very limited at this point, something that is unique to this year.
I agree with this. Some schools have a potential for picking up one more player, if they find a diamond, but most schools have been done for a long time.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:15 pm
I agree with this. Some schools have a potential for picking up one more player, if they find a diamond, but most schools have been done for a long time.
Yea, almost all top 21's spots were taken prior to Covid - that seems bizarre that someone would re-classify for what will be a smaller class. What options weren't "good enough"? Makes very, very little sense.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxfan22 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:47 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:15 pm
Yea, almost all top 21's spots were taken prior to Covid - that seems bizarre that someone would re-classify for what will be a smaller class. What options weren't "good enough"? Makes very, very little sense.
I know of a girl in our region who reclassified 2 years ago with the approval of the College head coach that she had committed to. I dont know if it helped the school with scholarship allocation or if it was primarily athlete driven. She is a top 100 recruit.

if you are on the fringe of a top 10 (or dream) school's recruiting list, maybe it was hinted to by the coach that they would have a better chance of getting that offer by waiting a year? Otherwise, it is a big gamble that you will get an offer because schools have seen you (through the 21s cycle) and other 2022s arent getting seen?
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

A second big time IVY MENS player has magically been able to return for a 5th year. These exceptions are a slap in the face for ALL Ivy seniors who will never get another chance to wear their jersey, but the fact that both of these exceptions are men shows us where women rank, even in 2020. Shame on the Ivy League.
Crabs&lax

Post by Crabs&lax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:55 pm A second big time IVY MENS player has magically been able to return for a 5th year. These exceptions are a slap in the face for ALL Ivy seniors who will never get another chance to wear their jersey, but the fact that both of these exceptions are men shows us where women rank, even in 2020. Shame on the Ivy League.
YHP all didn’t allow their players back. TD at Yale needed another semester anyways so that worked out in his favor (Yale’s other top players all transferred). Penn had top male and female players transfer. Dartmouth and Brown have not made statements about seniors returning. Cornell never made such statements about not allowing seniors back. If you know of specific Ivy kids that couldn’t come back and wanted to from the non YHP and couldn’t that’s one thing. Currently this is speculative commentary at best; you need facts for this statement ‘player x wasn’t allowed back and wanted to’ and then evaluate that schools stance. Otherwise this merely nothing more than a fake grievance. Please present your case grounded in factual information if otherwise.
watcherinthewoods

Here is the announced policy:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28 ... t-athletes

Fact: Princeton specifically disallowed Sowers a fifth year ... under the same terms that Teat is taking a 5th year
Fact: Dartmouth told their men's and women's teams that they would need "compelling academic" reasons to petition for a 5th year (i.e. not in good academic standing) and even if they school approved the request, the League was highly unlikely to do so.

This policy has not been applied equally. And the fact that ONLY 2 MEN (a third is a transfer to his current school and had more academic latitude) are the lucky winners of this golden ticket is bad optics at best and at worst, discriminatory. So much for the academic integrity that the league purports to prioritize. I guess in this situation, like in life, the rules just don't apply to some folks. Makes a horrible situation for the majority of these kids even worse. Very sad.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

a lot of this is sad and a lot of kids are getting screwed by the NCAA decision which was rash and entered into without thinking of the consequences upon hundreds, if not thousands of kids. It sucks for all involved but leaving with an IVY league degree and having the privilege of playing for 3 plus years at a n IVY is still pretty damn good. I'd sign my HS sophomore up for that right now instead of seeing maybe 20-50% of D1 spots (and not to mention D3's getting some of those kids, taking away spots there too) being taken away for current college sophomores.
Crabs&lax

Post by Crabs&lax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:21 am Here is the announced policy:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28 ... t-athletes

Fact: Princeton specifically disallowed Sowers a fifth year ... under the same terms that Teat is taking a 5th year
Fact: Dartmouth told their men's and women's teams that they would need "compelling academic" reasons to petition for a 5th year (i.e. not in good academic standing) and even if they school approved the request, the League was highly unlikely to do so.

This policy has not been applied equally. And the fact that ONLY 2 MEN (a third is a transfer to his current school and had more academic latitude) are the lucky winners of this golden ticket is bad optics at best and at worst, discriminatory. So much for the academic integrity that the league purports to prioritize. I guess in this situation, like in life, the rules just don't apply to some folks. Makes a horrible situation for the majority of these kids even worse. Very sad.
So your issue is with the Ivy League not enforcing a blanket uniform policy that says no one comes back period or everyone is eligible? Right now it seems individual schools are doing different things. In that article, the Penn AD clearly stated there were ways to return for a 5th year. HYP all institutionally said no what the Penn AD suggested.

According to all reports Teat and TD all had need of extra classes, which means they weren’t not going to graduate anyways which would mean they would qualify for the extra year from the league to be approved.

To make a statement such as 'the policy has not been applied equally' would require knowledge that a wlax player, with the same academic situation as TD/Teat or someone who picked up an additional major/minor, ala what the Penn AD said, and was denied. If no such player exists, that your statement is false.

If Cornell has a wlax athlete that was denied the 5th year and was in a similar academic situation to Teat, I can see an issue there. But I haven’t found any reports to suggest Cornell is doing that. I have not seen a Dartmouth mlax or wlax player announce a return which would imply that Dartmouth is treating everyone the same. And Princeton sure would’ve liked Sowers back, who was the best player in the country, but couldn’t and is treating all lacrosse athletes the same.

The rules may not be applied equally among the league as a whole, but all that matters is the individual school applies rules equally for all their athletes. As long as each individual school is treating all their athletes the same, the term discrimination never enters the equation.
watcherinthewoods

Two more men's Ivy seniors players back for another year. No big announcement (hard learned lesson from Micheal Sowers, perhaps?), but they are listed on the 2021 roster. Anyone heard of a single IVY woman who managed this miraculous feat?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

UNC is the No. 1 class in the Repeat Senior Draft:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ller/56600
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:12 pm UNC is the No. 1 class in the Repeat Senior Draft:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ller/56600
IMO they already have the best attack unit
Miller really adds a lot in midfield which they needed
Don’t know much about Bourque
They def got stronger !
njbill

Post by njbill »

I think of Bourque as similar to Aldave. Not as good as her, but not far off. Does everything well. Makes her teammates better. Hard nosed and gritty. Definitely someone you want on your team.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

njbill wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:33 pm I think of Bourque as similar to Aldave. Not as good as her, but not far off. Does everything well. Makes her teammates better. Hard nosed and gritty. Definitely someone you want on your team.
Couldn't agree more; 110% all the time, excellent basic skills, selfless. If I recall correctly, she is a big strong woman as well, 5'10" or thereabouts. Cannot believe the midfield corps/attack group UNC will have next year.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Can’t wait to talk to Larry about how good UNC will be next year. :lol:

Big shoes to fill with Dowd leaving, though.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”