Extra year granted

D1 Womens Lacrosse
totc

Re: THAT incoming Carolina player...

Post by totc »

Turtles Lax wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:17 pm ...who cares if she breaks a record(s)...she surely does not. :o

She is a force with which to be reckoned...and would have started for ANY college team for which she played...if she could...two (2!) years ago.

Peace, out.

TL
If you saw her with the U-19s, you'd get the idea. I also saw her hit a moving target the size of a child's milk carton from 20 yards. I mean, ZIP. And she's a good person who understands that with great talent comes great responsibility.
Bart

Re: Extra year granted

Post by Bart »

laxfan22 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:09 pm And i suppose if they change the sizes of the rosters and scholarship money then that would alleviate my concern to large measure. Not sure every school would want to incur that extra cost, however. I would certainly hope that's the case (and i don't expect my daughter will get $$, but the trickle down would defiantly impact her significantly)
How did the NCAA handle the scholarship issue with Duke in 2008? I think the solution will mirror that.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

IIRC, only Duke seniors were given another year, but i could be wrong about that. And, of course, that was only one school, so at much we are talking about 6-10 roster spots in the entire sport, not hundreds.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

laxfan22 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:07 am IIRC, only Duke seniors were given another year, but i could be wrong about that. And, of course, that was only one school, so at much we are talking about 6-10 roster spots in the entire sport, not hundreds.
I was wrong,looks like 33 players got it at Duke... but again, the point stands, it was only one program, not ALL programs. The impact on, in particular, 2022, would decimate opportunities for an entire year - (and the 2022 kids also are losing their HS season that they definitely cannot get back)
lax1823

Post by lax1823 »

Granting an extra year of eligibility for all active NCAA players is the appropriate response. The impact for current HS players will be negligible. There are very few full ride players in all of D1 women’s lacrosse. Vast majority of players are non scholarship or are on fractions.

Just because you get an extra year does not mean you will chose to use it when you’re looking at paying $20k+ after your fraction scholarship. That’s even assuming the school wants to extend the scholarship for the extra year.

Now factor in there is a good chance your college does not have the grad program your interested in...

The situation is fluid, details still need to be figured out but I would be shocked if more then a tiny fraction of players end up taking advantage of the extra year.
Bart

Post by Bart »

laxfan22 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:09 am
laxfan22 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:07 am IIRC, only Duke seniors were given another year, but i could be wrong about that. And, of course, that was only one school, so at much we are talking about 6-10 roster spots in the entire sport, not hundreds.
I was wrong,looks like 33 players got it at Duke... but again, the point stands, it was only one program, not ALL programs. The impact on, in particular, 2022, would decimate opportunities for an entire year - (and the 2022 kids also are losing their HS season that they definitely cannot get back)
Yup. I could not find any mention of increased scholarship allocation.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

lax1823 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:44 am Granting an extra year of eligibility for all active NCAA players is the appropriate response. The impact for current HS players will be negligible. There are very few full ride players in all of D1 women’s lacrosse. Vast majority of players are non scholarship or are on fractions.

Just because you get an extra year does not mean you will chose to use it when you’re looking at paying $20k+ after your fraction scholarship. That’s even assuming the school wants to extend the scholarship for the extra year.

Now factor in there is a good chance your college does not have the grad program your interested in...

The situation is fluid, details still need to be figured out but I would be shocked if more then a tiny fraction of players end up taking advantage of the extra year.
The full ride thing isn't an issue. It's the lack of scholarship money in general and the lack of roster spots would be most significant.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

lax1823 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:44 am Granting an extra year of eligibility for all active NCAA players is the appropriate response. The impact for current HS players will be negligible. There are very few full ride players in all of D1 women’s lacrosse. Vast majority of players are non scholarship or are on fractions.

I hope NCAA has some kind of plan in place . Maybe increase scholarships from 12-15. It seems crazy that they would grant an extra year to all spring lax athletes (only talking lax here) and not make any provision?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

lax1823 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:44 am...I would be shocked if more than a tiny fraction of players end up taking advantage of the extra year.
Compelling statement.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:27 pm
lax1823 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:44 am...I would be shocked if more than a tiny fraction of players end up taking advantage of the extra year.
Compelling statement.
A lot will depend on the money
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

lol, what good does that extra year do everyone if everything keeps falling apart around us. This is so ridiculous. Panic isn't going away anytime soon.
lax1823

Post by lax1823 »

laxfan22 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:52 am

The full ride thing isn't an issue. It's the lack of scholarship money in general and the lack of roster spots would be most significant.
No, lack of roster spots will not be significant. Let’s use my D team, mid level D1. 9 seniors, 4 who get any playing time. No full rides so even with scholarships they are probably looking at having to pay $20,000+ to add an additional year. My D does not expect any of them to come back but let’s say 1 returns for a 5th year. That’s 1 possible roster spot taken. If any roster spot was going to be lost because of this, it would not be an incoming freshman. It would most likely be a current junior who already does not get playing time.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

lax1823 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:51 pm
laxfan22 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:52 am

No, lack of roster spots will not be significant. Let’s use my D team, mid level D1. 9 seniors, 4 who get any playing time. No full rides so even with scholarships they are probably looking at having to pay $20,000+ to add an additional year. My D does not expect any of them to come back but let’s say 1 returns for a 5th year. That’s 1 possible roster spot taken. If any roster spot was going to be lost because of this, it would not be an incoming freshman. It would most likely be a current junior who already does not get playing time.
We have 8 seniors 4 of who are starters. It def is going to create an issue. A good problem for coaches to have but gonna be tough on some players.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

It is not just 2020 seniors. It is seniors for the next 4 years. I can guarantee that for at least one team, the juniors (right now) are all thinking about a 5th year.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:43 pm It is not just 2020 seniors. It is seniors for the next 4 years. I can guarantee that for at least one team, the juniors (right now) are all thinking about a 5th year.
Correct, and i'm sure sophomores and current freshman as well. It's going to create significant problems for kids in high school now, and something probably not given consideration.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxfan22 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:17 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:43 pm It is not just 2020 seniors. It is seniors for the next 4 years. I can guarantee that for at least one team, the juniors (right now) are all thinking about a 5th year.
Correct, and i'm sure sophomores and current freshman as well. It's going to create significant problems for kids in high school now, and something probably not given consideration.
Yes it will. 2020 2021 classes are set, but if current college sophomore and freshman classes decide to stay the extra year, then the recruiting of the 2022 and 2023 HS classes may become smaller than normal to account for the 5th year players. It all should normalize for the 2024 classes, but that is one of the unseen impacts of an extra year for all current classes.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:24 pm
laxfan22 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:17 pm
Yes it will. 2020 2021 classes are set, but if current college sophomore and freshman classes decide to stay the extra year, then the recruiting of the 2022 and 2023 HS classes may become smaller than normal to account for the 5th year players. It all should normalize for the 2024 classes, but that is one of the unseen impacts of an extra year for all current classes.
Yes, which is where it impacts my kid's grade. Wonderful
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

One angle that I thought about is that this may actually destroy the "transfer portal" for a while. Meaning that if schools are looking to potentially have several seniors return for a 5th year, it will squeeze scholarship money, create roster tension (all those kids who were waiting for their turn at playing time), Will schools want to take transfers on top of that? Last year may have been the only year that the transfer portal was in play.

Or maybe it creates a bunch of free agents for a 5th year if they already got their undergrad degree? who knows at this point.

My sense is that (after talking to D) is that there will be very few seniors who take advantage of this, or even underclassman. The exception would be for the "lacrosse schools", where lax is probably at least as important, if not more so, than the academics.
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

In general, college teams can only recruit players to fill positions that become available when those at the end of the pipeline leave/graduate.
I am pessimistic that colleges can afford to increase their rosters (for a non-revenue sport) substantially to allow for those extra players.

So If you take it to an extreme, if every college sophomore for every D1 team decided to stay the extra year (which the NCAA is potentially allowing), then there will be 0 roster spots for the entire US high school class of 2022. The following year, the same thing would happen to the high school class of 2023, if every college freshman stayed for their 5th year.

If a national average of only 2 college sophomores/team decided to stay the extra year and there are 8 sophomores/team, it doesn't seem like a lot- but you have effectively shrunk the available college lacrosse roster spots for the HS Class of 2022 recruits by 25%. This could be a huge negative impact to those further behind in the lacrosse pipeline.

On the surface, It seems right to give the current college players an extra year of eligibility; but the effect of unintended consequences seem to be very unfair to the younger players coming from behind.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

njfanlax wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:17 pm In general, college teams can only recruit players to fill positions that become available when those at the end of the pipeline leave/graduate.
I am pessimistic that colleges can afford to increase their rosters (for a non-revenue sport) substantially to allow for those extra players.

So If you take it to an extreme, if every college sophomore for every D1 team decided to stay the extra year (which the NCAA is potentially allowing), then there will be 0 roster spots for the entire US high school class of 2022. The following year, the same thing would happen to the high school class of 2023, if every college freshman stayed for their 5th year.

If a national average of only 2 college sophomores/team decided to stay the extra year and there are 8 sophomores/team, it doesn't seem like a lot- but you have effectively shrunk the available college lacrosse roster spots for the HS Class of 2022 recruits by 25%. This could be a huge negative impact to those further behind in the lacrosse pipeline.

On the surface, It seems right to give the current college players an extra year of eligibility; but the effect of unintended consequences seem to be very unfair to the younger players coming from behind.
I follow your logic and do agree somewhat. wlax rosters can go anywhere from a low of 20 to 45/50. There's always an ebb and flow in the roster size, I wouldn't get too worried about 2022's at this point. What will probably happen as well is that there will be more attrition than normal - which is about 20% from freshman to senior class. Also remember that 25%+ of kids never really see any real playing time during their college career and freshman typically don't play.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”