Extra year granted

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Extra year granted

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut

Re: Extra year granted

Post by wlaxnut »

You think this covers everyone, including red shirt grad students like NU’s Liza Elder?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

this is what I was hoping for...leadership by the NCAA. Now the devil is in the details - who does it apply to? Will there be additional scholarships? what about Ivy's, patriot league who doesn't allow grad/5th year players. Practically not every senior will want to come back, prob only the "stars" at the top lax schools. Will the sophomore at an Ivy really want to play another 3 years?

Lots of questions but glad we are at this point.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:31 pm this is what I was hoping for...leadership by the NCAA. Now the devil is in the details - who does it apply to? Will there be additional scholarships? what about Ivy's, patriot league who doesn't allow grad/5th year players. Practically not every senior will want to come back, prob only the "stars" at the top lax schools. Will the sophomore at an Ivy really want to play another 3 years?

Lots of questions but glad we are at this point.
I would hope (as i have a stake in this) that PL would consider the grad players for the 4 years of affected students.....
totc

Post by totc »

You read it here first. (OK, second. Just posted on FB.)

North Carolina will win the 2021 NCAA Division I women's lacrosse title.

Heck, their JV could win it as well.

If the entire senior class was to return (Hoeg, Wakefield, DiVietro, etc.) combined with the talent coming into the side (Caitlyn Wurzburger, Shannon Smith, Reilly Casey, Alyssa Long, Alexa Gentile, etc.), Jenny Levy is going to have one problem: finding enough lacrosse balls when they are shot over the end line and get lost under the bleachers. They are going to be, I think, the greatest offensive force since Maryland's 2001 team when Jen Adams was a senior.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Welp, they just destroyed recruiting for the 2022 girls completely. the 2021's are already committed and if they give an extra year of eligibility to ALL classes, when the 2022's start college there will now be four years of girls already on campus meaning that any scholarship money will be really hard to come by as well as roster spots. heck it.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

totc wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:40 pm You read it here first. (OK, second. Just posted on FB.)

If the entire senior class was to return (Hoeg, Wakefield, DiVietro, etc.) combined with the talent coming into the side (Caitlyn Wurzburger, Shannon Smith, Reilly Casey, Alyssa Long, Alexa Gentile, etc.), Jenny Levy is going to have one problem: finding enough lacrosse balls when they are shot over the end line and get lost under the bleachers. They are going to be, I think, the greatest offensive force since Maryland's 2001 team when Jen Adams was a senior.
Interesting post...I may have a differing opinion.

BTW, I am not sure about something to do with this exception the NCAA is going to do. If a student athlete was already a RS Senior (Medical) would they automatically get another year (Wakefield)? That would be 4+ years competing in 6 years.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxfan22 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:48 pm Welp, they just destroyed recruiting for the 2022 girls completely. the 2021's are already committed and if they give an extra year of eligibility to ALL classes, when the 2022's start college there will now be four years of girls already on campus meaning that any scholarship money will be really hard to come by as well as roster spots. heck it.
I come to it in a different way. Now, I know that different schools have differing opinions on $$. At D's school, the $$ value was set for 4 years from day 1. I know that other schools like to adjust $ based on performance over the 4 years. What I would expect would happen is that any money promised to the 2020s and 2021 (current HS Seniors/Juniors or the next 2 freshman classes) players would be honored. The issue in my mind is on the top/back end. For 4 years, you have a potential of having to cover the scholarship value the returning grad players expect. That reduces the potential change in value of $$ to the 2020-2023 classes, until the current 4 years are gone. What I think is going to have to happen is that the NCAA is going to have to allow an increase from 12 full scholarships to 15 for the next 4 years. As I and others have written in various topics, that is just the beginning of additional costs that the institutions would have to come up with. Increased team sizes (for at least two years 2020 and 2021 classes, as you could reduce the class sizes of the 2022s 2023s) will mean more costs in equipment, locker rooms mods, travel, meals, insurance, etc. In addition, it will upset the natural progression of a freshman coming in and making her way to her appropriate contribution...now there will be 5/4ths of the normal. So, practically, a team like UNC will have the best freshman class this upcoming year and they may not make a dent in the lineup for at least a year until the returning grads are gone .
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

And i suppose if they change the sizes of the rosters and scholarship money then that would alleviate my concern to large measure. Not sure every school would want to incur that extra cost, however. I would certainly hope that's the case (and i don't expect my daughter will get $$, but the trickle down would defiantly impact her significantly)
njbill

Post by njbill »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:06 pm So, practically, a team like UNC will have the best freshman class this upcoming year and they may not make a dent in the lineup for at least a year until the returning grads are gone .
I am willing to bet that at least one of the incoming UNC freshmen will make a dent, maybe a big dent, in the lineup next year regardless of whether the roster is stuffed with five years of players.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

njbill wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:22 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:06 pm So, practically, a team like UNC will have the best freshman class this upcoming year and they may not make a dent in the lineup for at least a year until the returning grads are gone .
I am willing to bet that at least one of the incoming UNC freshmen will make a dent, maybe a big dent, in the lineup next year regardless of whether the roster is stuffed with five years of players.
I’m sure they are hoping that she does. She has certainly been hyped enough. If she doesn’t break Ortega’s freshmen record many will consider she didn’t live up to expectations. This is based on the sheer number of points she has accumulated in Florida. It’s tough on the kid to be this hyped - if she doesn’t pan out as expected. And realistically maybe 5-6 freshmen per year really see immediate time and beat all expectations. Unrealistic.
Turtles Lax

A bit confused...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...re: the idea every/most/some player(s) will return for another season. In TL’s experience most student/athletes want to get OUT of school absent a compelling reason to stay an extra year. (Read injuries/rehab, transfer for grad school, etc.)

Most of TL’s scholar/athlete little knuckleheads want to hit the real world...with a real job. And their ‘rents want them off the payroll. :lol:

Peace, out.

TL
njbill

Post by njbill »

Lax247 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:50 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:22 pm
I’m sure they are hoping that she does. She has certainly been hyped enough. If she doesn’t break Ortega’s freshmen record many will consider she didn’t live up to expectations. This is based on the sheer number of points she has accumulated in Florida. It’s tough on the kid to be this hyped - if she doesn’t pan out as expected. And realistically maybe 5-6 freshmen per year really see immediate time and beat all expectations. Unrealistic.
I’m usually very reluctant to make predictions about how high school players will do in college, especially predictions that they will do well. But based on what I saw at the U 19 games, I’d be quite surprised if she isn’t the real deal in college. To me, whether or not she breaks freshmen records won’t be the measure of success, particularly on that team.
Ipayforlax

Re: A bit confused...

Post by Ipayforlax »

Turtles Lax wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:07 pm ...re: the idea every/most/some player(s) will return for another season. In TL’s experience most student/athletes want to get OUT of school absent a compelling reason to stay an extra year. (Read injuries/rehab, transfer for grad school, etc.)

Most of TL’s scholar/athlete little knuckleheads want to hit the real world...with a real job. And their ‘rents want them off the payroll. :lol:

Peace, out.

TL
I agree with TL.... the seniors on my daughter’s team have jobs or grad school lined up. Difficult to change those kind of plans on short notice. What could be interesting with the extra year is Grad Transfers. One of my D’s teammates is going to grad school at Duke next fall. All of a sudden she has a year of eligibility. Maybe we’ll see girls playing at different schools if they already had grad school in the works.
Turtles Lax

Re: THAT incoming Carolina player...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...who cares if she breaks a record(s)...she surely does not. :o

She is a force with which to be reckoned...and would have started for ANY college team for which she played...if she could...two (2!) years ago.

Peace, out.

TL
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Turtles Lax wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:17 pm ...who cares if she breaks a record(s)...she surely does not. :o

She is a force with which to be reckoned...and would have started for ANY college team for which she played...if she could...two (2!) years ago.

Peace, out.

High school is very different from College
We will see...
TL
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Turtles Lax wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:17 pm ...who cares if she breaks a record(s)...she surely does not. :o

Peace, out.

TL
College is very different from High School
We will see...
A lot of freshmen start...
All I’m saying is there are a lot of expectations on this kid and she hasn’t stepped foot on a college field yet
I hope she turns out to be a rock star
Then they will surely win the NCAA tourney!! ;)
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

totc wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:40 pm You read it here first. (OK, second. Just posted on FB.)

actually the problem will be finding enough scholardships for them
njbill

Post by njbill »

Lax247 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:11 pm

Peace, out.

TL
We will see...
All I’m saying is there are a lot of expectations on this kid and she hasn’t stepped foot on a college field yet
I agree with TL.

Question, Lax247, have you seen her play?

One of her U19 teammates was Izzy Scane. Different types of players, but the quality of her play was on a par with Scane’s.

The last player I was this certain about coming out of HS was Taylor Cummings. Now, she is not as good as Cummings who did everything very well, and some things extraordinarily well. But anyone with a pea for a brain could see TC was going to be, at a minimum, a very good college player. Of course, she well exceeded that. Will the future Tarheel win three Tewaaratons? I doubt it. Will she win one? Maybe.

Assuming this current mess is behind us by next year and we have a 2021 season, we can check back then to see how she’s doing.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

njbill wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:52 pm
Lax247 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:11 pm

Peace, out.

TL
We will see...
I agree with TL.

Question, Lax247, have you seen her play?

One of her U19 teammates was Izzy Scane. Different types of players, but the quality of her play was on a par with Scane’s.

The last player I was this certain about coming out of HS was Taylor Cummings. Now, she is not as good as Cummings who did everything very well, and some things extraordinarily well. But anyone with a pea for a brain could see TC was going to be, at a minimum, a very good college player. Of course, she well exceeded that. Will the future Tarheel win three Tewaaratons? I doubt it. Will she win one? Maybe.

Assuming this current mess is behind us by next year and we have a 2021 season, we can check back then to see how she’s doing.
Yes I have seen her play. I am not knocking her. I’m saying a lot of people have put very high expectations on her. I want her to do well. As I want UNC to do well. It takes a lot: talent, Chemisty, staying healthy. Attack is a loaded position on that team. Hopefully she does make a big dent on the team.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”