COVID19 season cancellations

D3 Mens Lacrosse
thescottharris

Re: COVID19 season cancellations

Post by thescottharris »

Randolph College is extending spring break for a week and will make a decision next week on rather they will go all online or not.

Hampden-Sydney College is making preparations to go online should they decide the situation arises to go that route. But coronavirus might be in Farmville, a student at Longwood University is under self-quarantine with a suspected case of it.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Nosey Ned wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:46 pm
Let's not feed the panic with incorrect comparisons simply to support our personal views. The COVID19 is NOT the Spanish Flu - have a read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/09/heal ... s-how.html

I'm not siding with the "cancel" crowd or the "play" crowd - I'm simply saying lets not propagate a false narrative.
There are unquestionably many differences! I agree that it is extremely unlikely that 17-100 million people will die. But this comparison from the article is even more ridiculous than saying, "COVID is exactly like the Spanish Flu":

"But so far this year, the annual epidemic of seasonal flu in the United States is proving much more devastating than the coronavirus. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that there have been at least 34 million infected with flu this season, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths. So far, coronavirus has killed 27 people in the United States."

The death rate is at least five times higher (and that's using current data from South Korea alone--the global numbers seem much higher). The American Hospital Association told its members there could be as many as 96 million cases in the US by the end of the outbreak--about triple the number of flu cases this season.

It's like saying, "Denison has only scored a pitiful 60 goals this year--last season that number was 297. Clearly they just can't compete since the graduation of Happ and Crosby."
TakesNotice

Post by TakesNotice »

Smoova- love the snarkiness but no, a hunch isn’t close to common sense.

IG - common sense applies only to common scenarios? I beg to differ. Common sense is often different to different people, at different scenarios, and often based upon reasonableness and practicality. So sure, it IS so.

Nosey - I Ike what you’ve written. I agree.

In the end, I’m sure that we’re all after the same goal but we just disagree upon how to get there.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

I recently took a job in the medical industry, and folks, if you are eligible to donate blood, please do so. American Red Cross says they are in dire need of Type O and platelets because many blood drives are being cancelled and they fear there will start to be shortages of all types of blood.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

SixBySix wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:20 pm
Nosey Ned wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:46 pm
Let's not feed the panic with incorrect comparisons simply to support our personal views. The COVID19 is NOT the Spanish Flu - have a read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/09/heal ... s-how.html

I'm not siding with the "cancel" crowd or the "play" crowd - I'm simply saying lets not propagate a false narrative.
There are unquestionably many differences! I agree that it is extremely unlikely that 17-100 million people will die. But this comparison from the article is even more ridiculous than saying, "COVID is exactly like the Spanish Flu":

"But so far this year, the annual epidemic of seasonal flu in the United States is proving much more devastating than the coronavirus. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that there have been at least 34 million infected with flu this season, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths. So far, coronavirus has killed 27 people in the United States."

The death rate is at least five times higher (and that's using current data from South Korea alone--the global numbers seem much higher). The American Hospital Association told its members there could be as many as 96 million cases in the US by the end of the outbreak--about triple the number of flu cases this season.

It's like saying, "Denison has only scored a pitiful 60 goals this year--last season that number was 297. Clearly they just can't compete since the graduation of Happ and Crosby."
Six - my point was that the Spanish Flu was so bad that it altered the mortality rate! Thankfully COVID19 hasn't reached that stage and likely won't... at least that's the prognosis at present. But that's not to say we shouldn't take this seriously - after all, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
dp68

Post by dp68 »

NCAA announced March Madness will be played with only players, coaches, and limited family in attendance.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MarloStanfield09

Post by MarloStanfield09 »

https://www.bridgewater.edu/life-at-bri ... -covid-19/

Bridgewater college down....expect ODAC done????
"You want it to be one way........ but it's the other way........."
droliver

Post by droliver »

Rhodes College in the SAA announced they'd be ending spring sports. No word yet on the rest of the conference
MarloStanfield09

Post by MarloStanfield09 »

https://www.rhodes.edu/coronavirus-updates

another one bites the dust......
"You want it to be one way........ but it's the other way........."
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Swarthmore goes down too. Probably got it from Bridgewater. ;)
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

Centennial conference is making a decision soon. Interested to hear the outcome
Wall Ball1

Post by Wall Ball1 »

I feel bad for the seniors of these schools. Losing out on their last season. I understand the severity of this virus but there is still a lot of questions regarding it’s strengths.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

NBA player tested positive. Entire NBA season suspended. Can’t imagine this bodes too well for the sports, conferences, and teams remaining.

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/ ... d-19/live/
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Roanoke and Lynchburg going online thru beginning of April.

With the NBA suspending the season, only a matter of time until all NCAA action is suspended.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Wall Ball1 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:37 pm I feel bad for the seniors of these schools. Losing out on their last season. I understand the severity of this virus but there is still a lot of questions regarding it’s strengths.
What do you mean by it’s strengths?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

NHL, sharing large % of arenas with NBA teams, will likely see the same action taken.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

Golden Dommer Insider... ACC Announcement tomorrow all spring sports will be cancelled. Biggest blow yet to Lax and Big 10 Conference is convening tomorrow afternoon.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Nothing But Net wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:30 am Golden Dommer Insider... ACC Announcement tomorrow all spring sports will be cancelled. Biggest blow yet to Lax and Big 10 Conference is convening tomorrow afternoon.
At least Purdue and IU have gone online classes; my ex gf is driving down to Bloomington to pick up her daughter tomorrow.

I can't imagine that cancellation of spring sports is far behind.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”