D2 Mens Lacrosse
River Donkey

Re: Young Harris lacrosse

Post by River Donkey »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:36 pm
River Donkey wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:26 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:06 pm Finally - Michael Herring:

https://yhcathletics.com/news/2020/10/1 ... coach.aspx

Reaching into Boys Lax to get a coach...
Definitely a head scratcher...
yes it is and I love the part where they say he's a great recruiter? He has no college experience, recruiting for a private school in Virginia is totally difference. But he does share the AD's vision I just wonder what that vision is. I do know there was at least a couple experienced college coaches who were interested in taking in this challenge because they knew the school overall and the area that never even got a call back. If I was a player there I would be concerned how much the school really cares about the program.
I agree. I also got a few laughs like you did on the vision and recruiting comments. I think it was more of what her “vision” for the program and having a submissive coach who doesn’t know any better. I’m sure there were better more qualified candidates but they didn’t fit the AD’s “vision” for the program. Sad day for YHC and a once on the rise program.
jakester

Post by jakester »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:36 pm
River Donkey wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:26 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:06 pm Finally - Michael Herring:

https://yhcathletics.com/news/2020/10/1 ... coach.aspx

Reaching into Boys Lax to get a coach...
Definitely a head scratcher...
yes it is and I love the part where they say he's a great recruiter? He has no college experience, recruiting for a private school in Virginia is totally difference. But he does share the AD's vision I just wonder what that vision is. I do know there was at least a couple experienced college coaches who were interested in taking in this challenge because they knew the school overall and the area that never even got a call back. If I was a player there I would be concerned how much the school really cares about the program.

A bit of a RED HERRING situation to me.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

I don't see this as a head scratcher the way others on here might. What Herring lacks in D2 experience he makes up many times over in character and intelligence. It's not an accident that his son has become a standout at UVA. Coach Herring is an outstanding leader, an outstanding teacher of the game and brings professionalism to the job.
Laxlaxlax247

Post by Laxlaxlax247 »

He will have a hard time recruiting a full team. Currently there are only 2 players left at the school. Both of which my understanding are transferring out at the end of this semester. Recruiting for a HS program is a lot different IMO and given the times he will be hard pressed to get 20 plus players to buy into a program that has been tainted by the recent actions of the AD and administration. He has already come out and said that his vision is the same as the AD, which is worry some to say the least.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you EasyRider - Herring may be a fine leader and coach, but recruiting D2 lacrosse is vastly different than recruiting to a school of 180 kids, paying $55k for a private high school. Time will tell.

The alarming thing is that he and the AD claim their vision and values are "perfectly in sync". Somewhere there's a disconnect between a coach who will instill values and be a leader of men, and an administration that throws it's students under a bus and then backs over them.

There'd be a lot more credibility if they'd come out and say, "Look it's a messed up situation, and this is the guy to bring it back," but claiming perfect alignment with the administration that effed it up in the first place is a tough start.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Young Harris welcomes Michael Herring as men's lacrosse coach
10/19/2020 3:00:00 PM

By: Michael MacEachern
Assistant Director of Athletics for Sports Communications

YOUNG HARRIS, Ga. | Young Harris College Director of Athletics Jennifer Rushton has announced Michael Herring as the head coach of the men's lacrosse program.

Herring comes to the Enchanted Valley after spending the past three seasons as head coach of the boys lacrosse team at the Blue Ridge School in St. George, Virginia.

"I want to welcome Michael Herring to Young Harris College," said Rushton. "During my first conversation with Coach Herring, it became evident that our values and vision for building a men's lacrosse program aligned perfectly.

"Coach Herring has established himself as an educator, tireless recruiter, and successful coach," added Rushton. "He has developed programs and sustained a high level of success throughout his career. I am confident that he will lead our young men on and off the field while developing them academically, athletically and as leaders. We are excited to have Michael join the Mountain Lion family."

Herring, who also served as the Director of Admissions for two years, returned the Barons to prominence during his time at the Blue Ridge School with a 33-10 record. In his first season in 2018, the Barons won the Virginia Independent Conference regular season and tournament championships, qualified for the state tournament for the first time in many years. The next season, the Blue Ridge School won its second consecutive conference and tournament championships, posted a 15-7 record, and advanced to the quarterfinals of the state tournament. While with the Barons, Herring was twice selected as the VIC Coach of the Year.

"I would like to thank President (Dr. Drew) Van Horn, Director of Athletics (Jennifer) Rushton, and the search committee for entrusting me with the responsibility of leading the men's lacrosse program at Young Harris College," said Herring. "It became apparent quickly that Young Harris is an amazing institution with thoughtful, talented people. It also became clear that Dr. Van Horn's and Director Rushton's thoughts regarding the role of athletics in institutions of higher learning were seamlessly aligned with mine. Moreover, Director Rushton's vision of the growth and development of the men's lacrosse program is perfectly in sync with mine.

"Together, we will build a men's lacrosse program about which YHC will be proud," added Herring. "We will recruit outstanding citizen-scholar-athletes who will make a positive impact in the classroom, on campus, in the community at large, and on the field. I am humbled by their vote of confidence. I look forward to the task of building the program and am excited to get to work."

Prior to the Blue Ridge School, Herring served as head coach of the boys lacrosse team at Noble and Greenough School, which is located in Dedham, Massachusetts, for 16 seasons where he led them to 187 wins and a better than .750 winning percentage. Herring led Nobles to their first Independent School League championship in school history in 2005 and 2006. He was named U.S. Lacrosse ISL Coach of the Year in 2005. He was a recipient of the Thomas S. Resor Award for Coaching Excellence.

He also served as the head boys basketball coach at Nobles for 16 seasons, guiding the team to over 300 wins. He led them to the postseason ISL tournament 12 times, including capturing the 2003 title. He was named the ISL Coach of the Year in 2002-03.

During his time at the Blue Ridge School and Nobles, he has coached numerous U.S. Lacrosse All-Americans, two were named to national academic teams and had dozens of all-conference players. Many of his players that he coached have gone on to play at Harvard University, Yale University, Princeton University, Dartmouth College, Cornell University, Brown University, Duke University, University of North Carolina, University of Virginia, Williams College, Amherst College, Middlebury College and Wesleyan (Conn.) University.

Herring also was named coach of New England Select Lacrosse League Black Team for U.S. Lacrosse U15 National Championship where his team advanced to the semifinals in 2009 and came in third place a year later. He also served as coach of the NESLL Black Team at every age level from U11 to U19 for eight seasons (2003-11).

Herring was a two-year letterwinner in men's lacrosse at Dartmouth, where he earned his bachelor's degree in economics in 1991.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Warrior62

Post by Warrior62 »

So absolutely no college coaching experience. Wish him and them luck
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

So an honest question, not tongue in cheek. If new HC Herring has several high level HC telling us what a great recruiter and an overall swell guy. How did they not hire him as an Asst.
I don't know if you will hear anyone say "how did I miss a chance to put this person on my staff."
I hope, for the sake of D-2 lacrosse the program can get back on it's feet. Time will tell let's see how the team does, when they finally get back to the field.
Your preparations of today, will determine the achievements of tomorrow.
washeduplaxer21

Post by washeduplaxer21 »

Go look at what assistants are being paid and that will give your your answer. He was probably making more at the High Schools he was at. Also going from running the show to an assistant role probably is not the move he wanted to make.
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

So what is a top 25 program D1 Asst make. ?
jakester

Post by jakester »

laxmarmot wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:36 pm So an honest question, not tongue in cheek. If new HC Herring has several high level HC telling us what a great recruiter and an overall swell guy.
Where did you hear that comment(s)?
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

Just reading the above statement above from YHC.
The decision has been made and the only thing the fans of the game is to continue to support the continued growth and expansion of the game. I wish Coach Herring best of luck and success in rebuilding the program. The biggest issue is the lack of experience at the college level which is where he now finds himself. That's a big issue. But again at least YHC is back on the path to recovery.
jakester

Post by jakester »

Looks like YHC has their first commit? Herring has been busy and landed a 2021 Attackman from Kentucky.
https://toplaxrecruits.com/connectlax-b ... ung-harris
washeduplaxer21

Post by washeduplaxer21 »

"Young Harris has made a surprising change at the top releasing head coach Kayla Lucas. After weeks of speculation, YHC released a short statement regarding the “termination”. The move seemed to have caught both the softball community and the team off guard as they both publicly rally to Lucas’s defense. Lucas coached the Mountain Lions for five seasons, with the 2019 season resulting in 44 wins and a trip to the DII Softball National Championship. The squad got off to a 19-3 start before the 2020 season was cut short. This type of unexpected and oddly executed move regarding a softball program is not the first Young Harris Athletic Director Jennifer Rushton has been involved in. In 2016 she was was senior associate athletic director at now defunct Armstrong State that dismissed head coach Ted Evans after 12 seasons and a National Championship event run that same year. Assistant coach Jessie Homesley will serve as interim head coach for Young Harris moving forward"

Fair to say this whole debacle was on the AD as she continues to fire people unexpectedly. Hopefully the new hire will be able to navigate but the root of the problem seems to be her and her track record speaks for itself.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

She certainly has a unique vision for what she wants her athletic department to be.
Laxlaxlax247

Post by Laxlaxlax247 »

I guess their “public relationship” ended just like their private one did. One more victim of this nut job AD.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”