Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Everyonesgotone wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:25 pm Thanks for your opinion on ASU. The sad thing is that we will never know. I can tell you that the entire selection process crushed this team. All of the analysts said they were in. ESPN was on site to televise the reaction and had them in the pre show hype. The NCAA committee likely chose to ether cheap out or to be blind to the obvious. You are correct that this Sun Devil team is a scrappy, hard working and aggressive bunch. It’s a shame that they didn’t have a chance to prove it and be rewarded for their effort. So much for growing the game.
We'll know next year. They'll kill some teams early on fueled by the '22 snub. I get the impression this program is on the way up and they will be more of the same scrappy, hard working, aggressive bunch next year. If they are the real deal (and I think they are) the disappointment of not making the NCAA's will make them tougher next year. I agree that they got shafted by the committee and their seeing eye dog math formulas. The math analytics entrepreneurs selling their verkakta formulas to the NCAA committee--the blind leading the blind--were responsible for pulling the obviously deserving Golden Tridents out and inserting much less deserving UConn, UMass and/or JHU. ASU graduates at least 9 this spring so the team will look different next year. I think they've got something real beginning in Tempe. I hope they continue to build and grow and become a common resident in the top 20.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Everyonesgotone wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:25 pm
Completely disagree here. Arizona State was a scrappy, hard working, aggressive bunch and would have had a very good chance to beat UVA, Princeton, Michigan, JMU and/or Duke
Given how USC and Stanford (I believe both were 2-1 against ASU) performed in the tourney, I think it is a stretch to say ASU "would have had a very good chance to beat" all those teams that made it to the 2nd round.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

@inthe8m wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:31 am
Everyonesgotone wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:25 pm
Completely disagree here. Arizona State was a scrappy, hard working, aggressive bunch and would have had a very good chance to beat UVA, Princeton, Michigan, JMU and/or Duke
Given how USC and Stanford (I believe both were 2-1 against ASU) performed in the tourney, I think it is a stretch to say ASU "would have had a very good chance to beat" all those teams that made it to the 2nd round.
No way ASU would beat JMU or Duke. UVA, Michigan possibly. Dont know about Princeton.
Everyonesgotone

Post by Everyonesgotone »

The point is that ASU should have been given the chance that they earned regardless of what Stanford and USC did with their shot. They deserved to go over U Mass, U Conn and Hopkins. In my opinion they would have won the Championship by 10…and because of what Tim has instilled in his players, they also wouldn’t have scored a FU goal with seconds left.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

If we are limited to these three teams only – who will attract and snag the most coveted transfers in the off-season?

Maryland
North Carolina
Boston College
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:31 pm If we are limited to these three teams only – who will attract and snag the most coveted transfers in the off-season?

Maryland
North Carolina
Boston College
There's already an AA player transferring into MD next year from a top 10 program. The answer to your question will always be MD and UNC. MD also has an advantage as many girls from MD go elsewhere and can transfer in and receive in-state tuition. And UNC will always get just about whoever they want.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Everyonesgotone wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:52 pm The point is that ASU should have been given the chance that they earned regardless of what Stanford and USC did with their shot. They deserved to go over U Mass, U Conn and Hopkins. In my opinion they would have won the Championship by 10…and because of what Tim has instilled in his players, they also wouldn’t have scored a FU goal with seconds left.
Are you suggesting they would have won the national championship by 10? They are a well coached team with momentum and I look forward to watching them but I think that is a bit optimistic. Do you know what their incoming recruit classes look like ?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

hmmm wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:38 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:31 pm If we are limited to these three teams only – who will attract and snag the most coveted transfers in the off-season?

Maryland
North Carolina
Boston College
There's already an AA player transferring into MD next year from a top 10 program. The answer to your question will always be MD and UNC. MD also has an advantage as many girls from MD go elsewhere and can transfer in and receive in-state tuition. And UNC will always get just about whoever they want.
graduate transfer? or a transfer with more than 1 year left?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:00 pm

Maryland
North Carolina
Boston College
Well she was a senior this year but she's got 2 years left potentially just like Bosco has.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

hmmm wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:04 pm

Maryland
North Carolina
Boston College
Well she was a senior this year but she's got 2 years left potentially just like Bosco has.
Rheude will have 3 years at her disposal after her recovery- I'm pretty sure. Is this transfer a middie by chance?
Everyonesgotone

tothedraw wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:51 pm
Everyonesgotone wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:52 pm The point is that ASU should have been given the chance that they earned regardless of what Stanford and USC did with their shot. They deserved to go over U Mass, U Conn and Hopkins. In my opinion they would have won the Championship by 10…and because of what Tim has instilled in his players, they also wouldn’t have scored a FU goal with seconds left.
Are you suggesting they would have won the national championship by 10? They are a well coached team with momentum and I look forward to watching them but I think that is a bit optimistic. Do you know what their incoming recruit classes look like ?
Likely not…but you can’t be certain unless they got the bid they deserved. We will never know for sure so I will change my prediction to 9.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Everyonesgotone wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:45 pm
Likely not…but you can’t be certain unless they got the bid they deserved. We will never know for sure so I will change my prediction to 9.
Genuine question. What bid/match up did they deserve? To end the season they lost by 6 to a team that got their doors blown off by Jacksonville. Yes, they had some good wins/games, but also barely got by Oregon. Again, looking forward to watching the trajectory of this program and think the coach is one to watch.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

Maryland
North Carolina
Boston College
She is a tremendous defender, great feet, excellent on the circle. The Terps are going to be absolutely loaded next year. The younger Sterling will step in at midfield, and they are getting Edmondson the top recruit in the country. There is going to be an enormous talent gap between Maryland in 2023 and the rest of the field. Right now no team will be close to the Terps. Maybe teams can close the talent gap through the portal. What will be interesting is to see if teams like UNC, whom Maryland refused to play this year will return the favor and won't play the Terps next year.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

suffolk wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:10 pm

Maryland
North Carolina
Boston College
She is a tremendous defender, great feet, excellent on the circle. The Terps are going to be absolutely loaded next year. The younger Sterling will step in at midfield, and they are getting Edmondson the top recruit in the country. There is going to be an enormous talent gap between Maryland in 2023 and the rest of the field. Right now no team will be close to the Terps. Maybe teams can close the talent gap through the portal. What will be interesting is to see if teams like UNC, whom Maryland refused to play this year will return the favor and won't play the Terps next year.
Hey. I didn’t mention names. I guess you didn’t either though.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Maryland
North Carolina
Boston College
Gotcha, is she from an Ivy then? Or has 2 years left for other reasons
Everyonesgotone

tothedraw wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:47 pm
Genuine question. What bid/match up did they deserve? To end the season they lost by 6 to a team that got their doors blown off by Jacksonville. Yes, they had some good wins/games, but also barely got by Oregon. Again, looking forward to watching the trajectory of this program and think the coach is one to watch.
Michigan would have been a great game. Almost beat them very early in the season before they had a chance to gel. Totally different team than late in the season. Tim scheduled the most challenging teams he could to lead up to the playoffs vs adding Detroit Mercy to get to .500 for ND. Could they have played JMU, Princeton or Duke close or even won? They were better than any of their opponents.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Everyonesgotone wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:00 am
tothedraw wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:47 pm
Michigan would have been a great game. Almost beat them very early in the season before they had a chance to gel. Totally different team than late in the season. Tim scheduled the most challenging teams he could to lead up to the playoffs vs adding Detroit Mercy to get to .500 for ND. Could they have played JMU, Princeton or Duke close or even won? They were better than any of their opponents.
I think Tim is great but they got outscored 53-22 by NW, Florida and SB. To think they were contenders this year is a bit of a stretch. That said, they should have gotten in the tournament.
Everyonesgotone

That is the only point. Some on the team will never get the opportunity back. It’s a shame.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:22 pm

Maryland
North Carolina
Boston College

It is hard to imagine one of the upper class players from an Ivy who withdrew from school and thus have 2 years left would forego their chance to complete their 4th year and earn their Ivy degree. Way too much invested … in every sense of the word. Stranger things, tho …
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:00 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:22 pm

Maryland
North Carolina
Boston College

It is hard to imagine one of the upper class players from an Ivy who withdrew from school and thus have 2 years left would forego their chance to complete their 4th year and earn their Ivy degree. Way too much invested … in every sense of the word. Stranger things, tho …
I agree. The second case, “2 years left for other reasons”, was supposed to mean she was from a non-Ivy but I didn’t add that. My bad

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”