Baltimore: A Shining Star

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Baltimore: A Shining Star

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:43 am There's been some success, especially near the UMD medical center in converting older building to residential, mixed use. Which has all sorts of beneficial effects. I wonder whether such is being considered at some of these buildings...big challenge is combatting the perception of crime, but a concerted effort could handle that if there was an overall city planning dept decision to increase CBD residential.

The State's allocation of usage to CBD is a positive demand step, but mixing that with the opportunity to live right there too could be helpful.
How old are these buildings? The prospect of rehabbing these old buildings is awesome. I love old buildings, they all all truly have character. The transition to residential is fraught with an endless stream of problems that cost huge money to fix. I can think of 2 right off the top of my head... asbestos and lead paint, common in older buildings and a financial money pit to remediate.
If those exist at all, the same issue applies to any rehab, not just residential.

I don't think that's an impediment with most buildings we're talking about, however.

Some of the central city buildings are from the 20's, lots from 50's. A little further out and the buildings can be from late 1800's and turn of the century up to 20's. Tons of charm, yes.

The newest buildings in central city would be 70's-90's, but not many...most of the new construction has been close to and along the waterfront, especially east side...and a lot of the bigger companies and professional service firms migrated to those class A properties.

However, in general, the days of commuting from Roland Park, Ruxton and Baltimore County are basically over, as the commute is easier to Towson, Hunt Valley, Owings Mills, easier parking etc. Couple that with the work from home trend and we're not likely to see nearly the demand that used to exist for downtown Baltimore office, at least from commuters. But where cities can thrive is with residential, mixed use retail, coupled with office. People want to live close to where they work and play. And the waterfront is quite attractive. Encourage residential and the retail will thrive.

Crime and the perception of it is nevertheless a challenge.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

A coworker and BiL recently relocated to the city.
The coworker moved downtown to an apartment on Charles St. Newly single so he went with the fully loaded, rooftop patio, fitness rooms, views of Camden Yards 10' ceilings etc. Not a bad rent for an established professional.
The BiL went to a home in Roland Park/Poplar Hill area. That one is a major project. For the issues you mentioned. And more. He's now looking at astronomical heating/cooling costs. Probably has to move to geothermal, if the city will let him, otherwise it's thousands a month extra to heat and cool. The other issue is, obviously, how to educate the kids.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:53 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:43 am There's been some success, especially near the UMD medical center in converting older building to residential, mixed use. Which has all sorts of beneficial effects. I wonder whether such is being considered at some of these buildings...big challenge is combatting the perception of crime, but a concerted effort could handle that if there was an overall city planning dept decision to increase CBD residential.

The State's allocation of usage to CBD is a positive demand step, but mixing that with the opportunity to live right there too could be helpful.
How old are these buildings? The prospect of rehabbing these old buildings is awesome. I love old buildings, they all all truly have character. The transition to residential is fraught with an endless stream of problems that cost huge money to fix. I can think of 2 right off the top of my head... asbestos and lead paint, common in older buildings and a financial money pit to remediate.
If those exist at all, the same issue applies to any rehab, not just residential.

I don't think that's an impediment with most buildings we're talking about, however.

Some of the central city buildings are from the 20's, lots from 50's. A little further out and the buildings can be from late 1800's and turn of the century up to 20's. Tons of charm, yes.

The newest buildings in central city would be 70's-90's, but not many...most of the new construction has been close to and along the waterfront, especially east side...and a lot of the bigger companies and professional service firms migrated to those class A properties.

However, in general, the days of commuting from Roland Park, Ruxton and Baltimore County are basically over, as the commute is easier to Towson, Hunt Valley, Owings Mills, easier parking etc. Couple that with the work from home trend and we're not likely to see nearly the demand that used to exist for downtown Baltimore office, at least from commuters. But where cities can thrive is with residential, mixed use retail, coupled with office. People want to live close to where they work and play. And the waterfront is quite attractive. Encourage residential and the retail will thrive.

Crime and the perception of it is nevertheless a challenge.
Nothing is an impediment if you have enough money in your contingency budget. I'm not certain how much square footage of usable rental space your speaking of? How many units? Unless your rehab company has really deep pockets these pesky little remediation issues can take months to correct and put any project months if not years behind schedule. Time is money when your pouring money into a project and can't see a light at the end of the tunnel. I worked doing a fountain installation at a new steakhouse tavern that ran into huge delays with the fire suppression system and trying to accommodate ADA regulations for handicap accessibility. They went OOB before they ever opened the doors. This all happened to the investors just as COVID started. It took a couple of years but someone else finished the work and opened up the business.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:45 am A coworker and BiL recently relocated to the city.
The coworker moved downtown to an apartment on Charles St. Newly single so he went with the fully loaded, rooftop patio, fitness rooms, views of Camden Yards 10' ceilings etc. Not a bad rent for an established professional.
The BiL went to a home in Roland Park/Poplar Hill area. That one is a major project. For the issues you mentioned. And more. He's now looking at astronomical heating/cooling costs. Probably has to move to geothermal, if the city will let him, otherwise it's thousands a month extra to heat and cool. The other issue is, obviously, how to educate the kids.
Some pretty darn good options in Roland Park! ;)

Including public.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A few months old. Warning, shows cop shooting a man who is on top of a woman holding a knife. https://twitter.com/ChuckCallesto/statu ... 34180?s=20

Original article from November: Maybe 'activist' Moorehead should have also spray-painted "No Knife Zone" as well.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:13 pm A few months old. Warning, shows cop shooting a man who is on top of a woman holding a knife. https://twitter.com/ChuckCallesto/statu ... 34180?s=20

Original article from November: Maybe 'activist' Moorehead should have also spray-painted "No Knife Zone" as well.
How is your Sunday?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:23 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:13 pm A few months old. Warning, shows cop shooting a man who is on top of a woman holding a knife. https://twitter.com/ChuckCallesto/statu ... 34180?s=20

How is your Sunday?
Better yet, ask how that woman is doing? You don't care.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:24 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:23 pm

How is your Sunday?
Better yet, ask how that woman is doing? You don't care.
How is she doing?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:09 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:45 am A coworker and BiL recently relocated to the city.

Including public.
Really darn good inc public but that may have changed i con’t know. I con’t know that failing to do basic research is a good indicator the decision on education would be better
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Including public.
Really darn good inc public but that may have changed i con’t know. I con’t know that failing to do basic research is a good indicator the decision on education would be better
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:49 pm

Including public.
How about deciphering those two sentences into readable English for those of us who don't speak your dialect? ;)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Roland Park is a sh1t hole. ;)
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:21 am Roland Park is a sh1t hole. ;)
:D
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

And your reason for saying that?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

OCanada wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:23 pm
And your reason for saying that?
It was a joke, from way back.
~Livy
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Thanks. Never heard it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:30 pm Thanks. Never heard it.
We understood one another, but’inside’ joke.

Obviously, Roland Park is a very nice area, with all sorts of desirable aspects, including schools both private and public. It also has some fraught history of redlining but that’s another topic.

I’m still trying to decipher your earlier post, presumably typed on a phone.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:38 pm

Obviously, Roland Park is a very nice area, with all sorts of desirable aspects, including schools both private and public. It also has some fraught history of redlining but that’s another topic.

ummm....no, no it IS not. Roland Park IS the topic, as specific region/area that IS within the topic at hand. Baltimore.

AND......that very red lining "history", that, you and all your Baltimore white priveledge, wants to sweep away with feigned indifference and comments like "but, that's another topic".

A "polite" way, in your mind, to chest thump and tell everyone to MOVE along. Nope......Roland Park....and LACROSSE....and it's "racial history" is very , very real.

Just take a look at the MIAA sports all stars, for say, the past 20 years. Compare race, vs. MIAA enrollment, and also vs. Baltimore city population.
Football and Basketball.......outliars?

Lacrosse ? same percentage of "allstars" ?

Some say, "clubs" were as much about daddy ball as it IS/was, about, "exclusion".

So, yeah.....let US not discuss Baltimores racist "past". The very name of this thread. Geez.......bizarro world.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Just please go away. I mentioned redlining not to dismiss but rather as to recognize that history.

Back to ignore.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:38 pm

Redlining was wide spread locally and nationally with adverse comsequences still playing out

Return to “POLITICS”