Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
AOD

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by AOD »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:43 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:10 am When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

When in Philly, do as the one & only Captain does:

BEST CHEESESTEAK IN PHILADELPHIA
I’ve been to John’s Roast Pork many times. I’ve never had their cheesesteak simply because the roast pork (w/provolone and broccoli rabe) is so flippin good.
Probably spinach. They don't serve broccoli rabe.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Discussed to some extent previously but now there's a documentary on it:

https://www.fox9.com/news/juicy-lucy-ju ... tary-fox-9

''jucy Lucy" ~ yum!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The youth hockey regular season is just about over. So I decided to celebrate by making a pineapple pie.

I was likely inspired by the memory of Gump Worsley who lived to eat pineapple pie:

https://puckstruck.com/2019/05/14/gump- ... e-squares/

https://puckstruck.files.wordpress.com/ ... =676&h=956
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

As Chairman of the Culinary Committee I’d like to introduce this Top 5 salty snack
BOY BAWANG CORNICK
ADOBO FLAVOR
IMG_6402.jpeg
IMG_6402.jpeg (111.46 KiB) Viewed 221 times
a product of the Philippines, it’s toasty, crunchy kernels of corn goodness with lip smacking flavor of adobo (Philippine style*)
These are likely to only be found at Asian markets.

* for the uninitiated, adobo in the Philippines is a mix of vinegar, usually palm, with soy sauce and garlic. It’s typically used to cook chicken and is absolutely delicious.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I'm going to be grilling duck breast for the first time soon. There are 2 conflicting methods that I have found. What I'm familiar with is traditional grilling in a pre- heated cast iron skillet. I'm not familiar with using a cold skillet, but some people swear by that method. It apparently allows the fat to render from the duck more slowly making for that crispy skin. Any suggestions?
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:44 pm I'm going to be grilling duck breast for the first time soon. There are 2 conflicting methods that I have found. What I'm familiar with is traditional grilling in a pre- heated cast iron skillet. I'm not familiar with using a cold skillet, but some people swear by that method. It apparently allows the fat to render from the duck more slowly making for that crispy skin. Any suggestions?

I’ve not done this, but something to consider to draw down the skin and help reduce some of the fat: https://jesspryles.com/how-to-make-cris ... the-grill/

I’m a big fan of spatchcocking full birds when roasting, grilling, or smoking.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I was gonna have one of these Joyva marbles in a futsal game on Saturday but just couldn't resist having it now:

Am so obsessed with halvah! Utterly Irresistible!!!

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:44 pm I'm going to be grilling duck breast for the first time soon. There are 2 conflicting methods that I have found. What I'm familiar with is traditional grilling in a pre- heated cast iron skillet. I'm not familiar with using a cold skillet, but some people swear by that method. It apparently allows the fat to render from the duck more slowly making for that crispy skin. Any suggestions?
First you want to score the skin with a knife in a diamond pattern which helps facilitate the rendering of fat.
Use medium low heat as it takes some time to crisp the skin without overcooking the duck.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:00 am
First you want to score the skin with a knife in a diamond pattern which helps facilitate the rendering of fat.
Use medium low heat as it takes some time to crisp the skin without overcooking the duck.
Thanks for the tip. We will be cooking them next weekend. I have little experience cooking duck breast. I know that without crispy skin all is lost.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

A long while ago I won a bet against someone on LP. My victory premium was to be a pound of monkey butt coffee. But the loser defaulted. No surprise. Someone on youtube said it was his fave brand.

Well, there's another specialty coffee on the market that may deserve your attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2MT8qPSl2Y

Black Ivory Coffee = elephant butt coffee from Thailand

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:51 pm A long while ago I won a bet against someone on LP. My victory premium was to be a pound of monkey butt coffee. But the loser defaulted. No surprise. Someone on youtube said it was his fave brand.

Well, there's another specialty coffee on the market that may deserve your attention:

My son brought me home some of the Weasel Coffee from Vietnam: It is very good.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Wow! That Weasel Butt Coffee looks like a genuine treat! Good of your son to do that for you. Thanx for sharing that video. :)

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

A question for all you folks of Italian heritage. I'm not qualified to answer being German/Irish. Among many spaghetti benders that red stuff you put on top... is it sauce or gravy?? :D
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

I grew up with "sauce". Moved to Philadelphia, and "gravy" is a class marker here, indicating origins in South Philly. No high-end Italian restaurant will call it gravy.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

In our family it was always sauce when served with pasta. However, my grandma called it red gravy when she served it on sliced pork loin or chicken or any other meat dish not with pasta. Go figure.

She also referred to espresso as "black coffee" and regular coffee as "brown coffee", too!!!!!!
DMac

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:55 am
Brooklyn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:51 pm A long while ago I won a bet against someone on LP. My victory premium was to be a pound of monkey butt coffee. But the loser defaulted. No surprise. Someone on youtube said it was his fave brand.

Geezuz H, I've seen the Vietnamese eat stuff I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole so I guess weasel coffee shouldn't surprise me too much.
I wonder if anyone has given any thought to making cornmeal from the kernels in human excrement. A nice piece of I-shat-it-out cornbread might go real good with that coffee. Pretty much caffeine free? No thanks.
Selection and Consumption: The civets select and consume ripe coffee cherries.
Digestion: Inside the civet’s stomach, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and providing a unique flavor profile by reducing the beans’ bitterness2.
Excretion: The civets excrete the beans, which are then collected by farmers.
Cleaning: The beans are thoroughly cleaned and processed.
Fermentation: After cleaning, the beans are allowed to ferment further, enhancing their flavor1.
Roasting: Finally, the beans are roasted, which contributes to the coffee’s overall aroma and taste.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:23 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:55 am

Geezuz H, I've seen the Vietnamese eat stuff I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole so I guess weasel coffee shouldn't surprise me too much.
I wonder if anyone has given any thought to making cornmeal from the kernels in human excrement. A nice piece of I-shat-it-out cornbread might go real good with that coffee. Pretty much caffeine free? No thanks.
Selection and Consumption: The civets select and consume ripe coffee cherries.
Digestion: Inside the civet’s stomach, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and providing a unique flavor profile by reducing the beans’ bitterness2.
Excretion: The civets excrete the beans, which are then collected by farmers.
Cleaning: The beans are thoroughly cleaned and processed.
Fermentation: After cleaning, the beans are allowed to ferment further, enhancing their flavor1.
Roasting: Finally, the beans are roasted, which contributes to the coffee’s overall aroma and taste.
I love trying new things, and I enjoyed this. I do suggest using the condensed milk, black or just with sugar would take some time retrain the tastebuds away from from traditional coffee.

Did you ever try the French Press? You can pick one up from Marshalls or TJ Maxx for a $12. Hope the Percolator is still going strong.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, I like trying new stuff too but one might be better off not knowing how weasel coffee is made. Ignorance is bliss, ya know. Who was the first one to come up with this...one man's garbage is another man's gold but I've got to wonder how anyone saw gold in those piles of "garbage".
Never tried the French press, am still completely satisfied with my percolator. Kind of blows me away how much better percolated is than the coffee made in the drip appliances. I made a dripped pot awhile back just for the hell of it and I was reminded in one sip how much better percolated is.....don't know why but it is.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:07 am Yup, I like trying new stuff too but one might be better off not knowing how weasel coffee is made. Ignorance is bliss, ya know. Who was the first one to come up with this...one man's garbage is another man's gold but I've got to wonder how anyone saw gold in those piles of "garbage".
Never tried the French press, am still completely satisfied with my percolator. Kind of blows me away how much better percolated is than the coffee made in the drip appliances. I made a dripped pot awhile back just for the hell of it and I was reminded in one sip how much better percolated is.....don't know why but it is.
I had my percolator for many years that I purchased at a garage sale. Watching perk was a lot of fun. Then one day the damn thing tried to electrocute me. I could have put a new cord on and find where the short was. I figured it was time. Mr Coffee makes fine Joe but it isn't the same.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:59 am In our family it was always sauce when served with pasta. However, my grandma called it red gravy when she served it on sliced pork loin or chicken or any other meat dish not with pasta. Go figure.

She also referred to espresso as "black coffee" and regular coffee as "brown coffee", too!!!!!!
My wife informed me that in parts of Sicily it's macaroni and gravy if the pasta is not home made. Her mom only made her own pasta from a traditional flour and egg doe. Her mom would dry it on a wood dowel cloths rack in the kitchen. She seldom used box macaroni.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”