Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by Brooklyn »

fortunately I prefer H&H in coffee

Same here. I use Target store's house brand:

For the life of me, I cannot understand why heavy cream costs so !!!!!!!!!!! much. I'd like to use it for baking and coffee but it ain't worth the price.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For the NYS crowd, someone’s going to eat some pudgies this week. Kids asked about barbecue up the CNY (Daigua area) to which I responded: we’re in NY but live in the south, no bbq no trash grits this week, it’s wing and corned beef hash week!

And some Pudgies.

If my son doesn’t piss me off I’ll take him to Nick Tahous for a garbage plate.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Went to the Keeneland Horse Races this past weekend and had some of their world famous Bread Pudding....OMG was it good:

https://www.gobourbon.com/keeneland-sha ... ittle-bit/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Long John Silvers in Selinsgrove PA yesterday for lunch. Lady starts yelling form back, “can inform uo front because I’m done with this s**!”

Brought me back to on Half Baked and my main man Scarface quitting like a champ!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIqeXSYc8nE
See Martin, Malcolm
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:04 pm Long John Silvers in Selinsgrove PA yesterday for lunch. Lady starts yelling form back, “can inform uo front because I’m done with this s**!”

Brought me back to on Half Baked and my main man Scarface quitting like a champ!

You would have been better off packing baloney sandwiches with a bag of Doritos and box of Devil Dogs than trying to find something good to eat in the Susquehanna valley.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:12 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:04 pm Long John Silvers in Selinsgrove PA yesterday for lunch. Lady starts yelling form back, “can inform uo front because I’m done with this s**!”

You would have been better off packing baloney sandwiches with a bag of Doritos and box of Devil Dogs than trying to find something good to eat in the Susquehanna valley.
Timing and came up 15 instead of 81 from Harrisburg since I wasn’t coming through binghamton this time.

And it’s a bit of a nostalgia tour with my kids and I worked at a LJS in Johnson City NY for like a year in HS. Had a great scam with the cook because we had discretion on making food in advance if anticipating rush and my cook buddy Reggie would go “hey FFG, did I see a bus pulling up? What do you think I should prep to be ready?” At around 9:30-9:45 each night (closing at 10) which translates to “yo what do you want me to cook up for you and your friends before I shut down and start cleaning the grease traps?” And my friends and I ate that crap 4x a week after 10pm and most of us still played varsity college sports at some level. Now I eat half a plate from there and feel like I should cut my feet off.

But the scene was great! Wish I had worldstar recorded it. I did let a little “word!” out when she declared she was “done with this s**t” to which my son goes “what?” And I said “huh” back and he forgot it fast. But man I was hoping for a “come on pookie let’s burn this mfer down!” Moment so badly.

Other than wings I’ve been underwhelmed so far. Debating running some over to Nick Tahous this week to have him try a garbage plate.
See Martin, Malcolm
ardilla secreta

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:32 pm

Timing and came up 15 instead of 81 from Harrisburg since I wasn’t coming through binghamton this time.

And it’s a bit of a nostalgia tour with my kids and I worked at a LJS in Johnson City NY for like a year in HS. Had a great scam with the cook because we had discretion on making food in advance if anticipating rush and my cook buddy Reggie would go “hey FFG, did I see a bus pulling up? What do you think I should prep to be ready?” At around 9:30-9:45 each night (closing at 10) which translates to “yo what do you want me to cook up for you and your friends before I shut down and start cleaning the grease traps?” And my friends and I ate that crap 4x a week after 10pm and most of us still played varsity college sports at some level. Now I eat half a plate from there and feel like I should cut my feet off.

But the scene was great! Wish I had worldstar recorded it. I did let a little “word!” out when she declared she was “done with this s**t” to which my son goes “what?” And I said “huh” back and he forgot it fast. But man I was hoping for a “come on pookie let’s burn this mfer down!” Moment so badly.

Other than wings I’ve been underwhelmed so far. Debating running some over to Nick Tahous this week to have him try a garbage plate.
I’m familiar with that ride. I take 15 when returning from the Chesapeake Bay. So, you didn’t take the kiddos to Clyde Peeling’s Reptileworld south of Williamsport?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:28 am

I’m familiar with that ride. I take 15 when returning from the Chesapeake Bay. So, you didn’t take the kiddos to Clyde Peeling’s Reptileworld south of Williamsport?
My daughter (9) would’ve kicked my a** if I had tried. Son was intrigued.

It’s actually a better ride along the River than 81 though like Hazelton, Jordan, SWB in Pennsy but historically I used 81 with family in Binghamton. 81 from the Va Tech area to Front Royal is awesome but the PA stretch is only useful if you like dairy farms, Harley shops, flat land and the ability to drive 95MPH from Scranton to the border.

But as you know if you’re going/staying west of Cayuga/Seneca lake no point in 81 the how as bit easy as it heads north. Hit my dads grave in Bath NY then up to our crib for the week around the corner from where Roseland used to be next to a golf course. Running around this week but the food and certain aspects aren’t about the best but the kids (my son who’s really smart wants to live in bath, I’m like “listen son, that sh*t ain’t happening, I didn’t work my a** off to give you all these privileges and get the F out of upstate NY as well as drop my crazy but decent IQ blood into you for you to end up in a region where half or more of the kids in public school are on free or reduced lunch programs.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:28 am

I will add having worked at LJS-the fish comes in frozen in basically long wood board shaped sticks with perforations (hence the angles/corners you see on the batter). You snap pieces off, dump in that heavy batter and drop in the “not really cleaned daily” deep fat dryers vats (rectangles). Fish was 2-3 min, chicken was 4:30.

It’s nasty.
See Martin, Malcolm
DMac

Post by DMac »

Hadn't ever tried this, made it yesterday (in the oven), will definitely do it again, very tasty.
Used brown sugar and Cajun. Gonna go get some more bacon today.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/RzLGuCJgGUM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:53 am Hadn't ever tried this, made it yesterday (in the oven), will definitely do it again, very tasty.
Dude...its bacon, say no more! :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:53 am Hadn't ever tried this, made it yesterday (in the oven), will definitely do it again, very tasty.

That looks awesome beyond belief!!

Next time I go shopping I will defo but thick bacon, spice em up, and give them a twist like that.

Thanx for the recipe.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

You won't be disappointed, Brook, it's damn good.
Don't be afraid of the Cajun, the brown sugar can
take over so heavy on the Cajun isn't going to be
too much.
ardilla secreta

Been going to estate sales lately and picked up this vintage pressure cooker for $6. Years ago I gave up my Revereware model when the gasket deteriorated. You need to know what you’re doing with these things or you’ll kill your self, but if you follow procedures it’s a great tool for cooking food fast.

This is the Mirro-Matic “4”. Heavy duty aluminum with a steam valve for 5, 10, 15 psi. Used it yesterday to cook portion of pork shoulder then added onion, garden herbs and broccoli rabe.
IMG_3525.jpeg
IMG_3525.jpeg (102.98 KiB) Viewed 473 times
IMG_3523.jpeg
IMG_3523.jpeg (80.72 KiB) Viewed 473 times
DMac

Post by DMac »

Glad you didn't kill yourself!! Never used one, can't say that makes me want to run out and get one. :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Just had this bourbon, maple bacon in Louisville, OMG it was amazing:

CANDIED BOURBON MAPLE BACON
THICK CUT SMOKED BACON, OUR FAMOUS OLD FORESTER BOURBON MAPLE GLAZE SERVED ON THE SIDE

~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:01 pm Just had this bourbon, maple bacon in Louisville, OMG it was amazing:

THICK CUT SMOKED BACON, OUR FAMOUS OLD FORESTER BOURBON MAPLE GLAZE SERVED ON THE SIDE

Had a really good version of that ages ago. Second half of 2000s in NYC at a restaraunt week event called Red hosted by Tom Colicchio and Jess Jackson of Kendall jackson at Craft a steakhouse of Colicchios in the meatpacking district near the Gansevort Hotel. It was all red meat and red wine. Kobe sliders and cups like that with four types of flavored thick cut smoked and cured in hosue bacon as appetizers for the pre game. Family style table setup to share entrees and FOs I her with a bourbon and red hot cinnamon candy flavored red velvet cake for dessert which worked well because half our table were in form burbs and had to get out before dessert which left 5-6 bourbon and believer cake dishes for fat a** me to crush’s. The bacon was sublime .

Colocchio is a somewhat known TV cool but actually legit like most who have tv show. His food is off the chains except for that nasty nasty bone marrow on half cut bone in rock salt bed. That’s wretched and I’m trying to not figure too deep in my disturbing metaphors to really describe the marrow.
See Martin, Malcolm
ardilla secreta

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:48 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:01 pm Just had this bourbon, maple bacon in Louisville, OMG it was amazing:

Had a really good version of that ages ago. Second half of 2000s in NYC at a restaraunt week event called Red hosted by Tom Colicchio and Jess Jackson of Kendall jackson at Craft a steakhouse of Colicchios in the meatpacking district near the Gansevort Hotel. It was all red meat and red wine. Kobe sliders and cups like that with four types of flavored thick cut smoked and cured in hosue bacon as appetizers for the pre game. Family style table setup to share entrees and FOs I her with a bourbon and red hot cinnamon candy flavored red velvet cake for dessert which worked well because half our table were in form burbs and had to get out before dessert which left 5-6 bourbon and believer cake dishes for fat a** me to crush’s. The bacon was sublime .

Colocchio is a somewhat known TV cool but actually legit like most who have tv show. His food is off the chains except for that nasty nasty bone marrow on half cut bone in rock salt bed. That’s wretched and I’m trying to not figure too deep in my disturbing metaphors to really describe the marrow.
Colicchio is absolutely legit. Opening chef/partner at Gramercy Tavern, opened Craft in 2001. It’s absolutely not a steakhouse. Its uniqueness at the time was that dishes are served family style for the table, to be shared. You order from a protein column, starch column, vegetable column, etc. Usually coming to the table in a copper vessel.

Craft won best new restaurant (USA) at 2002 James Beard Awards in NYC. A good friend I went to culinary school with was cooking there. After the ceremony at the Marriott Marquis there was a massive private party at Craft to celebrate. We were there till about 3am drinking great Champagne and top Burgundies along with an array of great food including a suckling pig. I was at the awards as a nominee for another category, decked out in my tuxedo. Good times.

Ok, you need to man-up with the bone marrow. It’s one of the most succulent and flavorful samples of fat from protein ever. Loaded with collagen which makes it so good and healthy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:49 pm

Colicchio is absolutely legit. Opening chef/partner at Gramercy Tavern, opened Craft in 2001. It’s absolutely not a steakhouse. Its uniqueness at the time was that dishes are served family style for the table, to be shared. You order from a protein column, starch column, vegetable column, etc. Usually coming to the table in a copper vessel.

Craft won best new restaurant (USA) at 2002 James Beard Awards in NYC. A good friend I went to culinary school with was cooking there. After the ceremony at the Marriott Marquis there was a massive private party at Craft to celebrate. We were there till about 3am drinking great Champagne and top Burgundies along with an array of great food including a suckling pig. I was at the awards as a nominee for another category, decked out in my tuxedo. Good times.

Ok, you need to man-up with the bone marrow. It’s one of the most succulent and flavorful samples of fat from protein ever. Loaded with collagen which makes it so good and healthy.
I’m soft and can’t go too deep into fatty foods. Pork belly is ok but much past that and I’m out.

I think I understood it’s not a steakhouse in the traditional sense but the one other time I went there after that event was a closing dinner (business) so steaks and related foods were ordered. But didn’t mean to compare it to Lugers, Sparks Etc though.

He opened a joint in this physical location in buckhead called the mansion that has struggled to keep tenants. In and out in a few years as I had in in 2010 or 2011, called Craft Steak. Coming out of the crisis it was 20-30% more expensive than the top restaurants in Atlanta and I don’t think folks there were prepared for entrees like a $68 Buffalo shoulder (which was frigging awesome) and so it went under but I never thought, having the luxury of expensing 90% of my high end meals for 15+ years, that any of the other spots that were non steakhouses (or the steakhouses) around atlanta were as good. This dude Kevin Rathbun had a spot called Rathbuns that was a half decent imitation but that closed like two years ago (he’s still got a steakhouse down in Atl as well).

Belhurst castle for lunch tomorrow (the old spot) then this hell hole that is popular for Hobart cats for dinner celebrating a former football coach named…Jack Daniels (the dump we’re all going to reminisce at is called Ronnies Cedar Inn, I love it, he was two coaches before I played there but a lot of buddies are coming back for it). Quite the juxtaposition tomorrow.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:49 pm

Ever heard of Mimolette cheese? Chatted with some cheese nut yest at the House of Danny W and the guy was talking it up and how mites get into the skin to enhance it. It’s ok. Dry. I liked the 26yr sharp Irish cheddar we got better.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”