Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:12 pm Half & Half with a splash of French Vanilla creamer.
Yes, heavy whipping cream has gotten a little nuts
price wise...fortunately I prefer H&H in coffee.
DMac wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:58 pm This place is directly across the street from the Cobblestone.
Forecast for Monday is 80 degrees and sunny. If you're a gambler
bet that I'll be on the porch on Monday. I'll walk over to the upscale
coffee shop where the uppities like to hang out and see if they have
French press coffee (they don't show it on their menu), if they do I'll
get a cup and try it. I'll take it across the street to drink it though.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... t=0&sim=11

Powered by Tripadvisor
Freedom Of Espresso
Menu
FREEDOM OF ESPRESSO
Fresh, local and organic.
Fresh Brewed Coffee and Tee
Tall$2.22
Grande$2.68
Mondo$2.77
Cafe au Lait
Tall$3.24
Grande$3.47
Mondo$5.27
Cooper
Tall$3.47
Grande$3.98
Mondo$5.27
Espresso (Doppio) $2.77
Extra Shot (Double) $1.25
Macchiato
Tall$3.24
Mondo$5.00
Cappuccino
Tall$4.92
Grande$4.49
Mondo$6.25
Latte
Tall$4.26
Grande$4.49
Mondo$6.25
Double o Latte
Tall$5.00
Grande$5.74
Chai Tea Latte
Tall$3.90
Grande$4.42
Mondo$5.00
Not sure if you ever had the chance to try the French Press coffee, I just picked up a brand I have never had Friday evening (has chicory in it), on my 2nd morning of it.....still using the french press, and dabbling with the the right amounts. FIrst day it was a bit too strong. Today when tsp's instead of tbsp's and ....muchbetter today.

https://shop.cafedumonde.com/product/gi ... d-chicory/

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

No, haven't tried it. Didn't go last week, rainy, windy day.
The week before just couldn't make myself go in that place.
Don't like the place or the kind of people it attracts but one
day I might. Monday aint lookin' bad. Still lovin' my percolator.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:57 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:49 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:48 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:01 pm Just had this bourbon, maple bacon in Louisville, OMG it was amazing:

CANDIED BOURBON MAPLE BACON
THICK CUT SMOKED BACON, OUR FAMOUS OLD FORESTER BOURBON MAPLE GLAZE SERVED ON THE SIDE

Had a really good version of that ages ago. Second half of 2000s in NYC at a restaraunt week event called Red hosted by Tom Colicchio and Jess Jackson of Kendall jackson at Craft a steakhouse of Colicchios in the meatpacking district near the Gansevort Hotel. It was all red meat and red wine. Kobe sliders and cups like that with four types of flavored thick cut smoked and cured in hosue bacon as appetizers for the pre game. Family style table setup to share entrees and FOs I her with a bourbon and red hot cinnamon candy flavored red velvet cake for dessert which worked well because half our table were in form burbs and had to get out before dessert which left 5-6 bourbon and believer cake dishes for fat a** me to crush’s. The bacon was sublime .

Colocchio is a somewhat known TV cool but actually legit like most who have tv show. His food is off the chains except for that nasty nasty bone marrow on half cut bone in rock salt bed. That’s wretched and I’m trying to not figure too deep in my disturbing metaphors to really describe the marrow.
Colicchio is absolutely legit. Opening chef/partner at Gramercy Tavern, opened Craft in 2001. It’s absolutely not a steakhouse. Its uniqueness at the time was that dishes are served family style for the table, to be shared. You order from a protein column, starch column, vegetable column, etc. Usually coming to the table in a copper vessel.

Craft won best new restaurant (USA) at 2002 James Beard Awards in NYC. A good friend I went to culinary school with was cooking there. After the ceremony at the Marriott Marquis there was a massive private party at Craft to celebrate. We were there till about 3am drinking great Champagne and top Burgundies along with an array of great food including a suckling pig. I was at the awards as a nominee for another category, decked out in my tuxedo. Good times.

Ok, you need to man-up with the bone marrow. It’s one of the most succulent and flavorful samples of fat from protein ever. Loaded with collagen which makes it so good and healthy.
Ever heard of Mimolette cheese? Chatted with some cheese nut yest at the House of Danny W and the guy was talking it up and how mites get into the skin to enhance it. It’s ok. Dry. I liked the 26yr sharp Irish cheddar we got better.
Very familiar with Mimolette, though not with the mite issue. Easy to understand cheese in a ball shape that starts semi-soft and if you keep it around will darken and become semi hard to the point where you can actually grate it onto something like eggs or salads.

Best eaten by making slices with a vegetable peeler. Thin slices allow it to soften easier and release flavors once inside your mouth. Some believe that during a 17th century ban on foreign goods it was created to replace the Dutch Edam which has some similarities.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:31 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:01 pm Just had this bourbon, maple bacon in Louisville, OMG it was amazing:

THICK CUT SMOKED BACON, OUR FAMOUS OLD FORESTER BOURBON MAPLE GLAZE SERVED ON THE SIDE

Had a really good version of that ages ago. Second half of 2000s in NYC at a restaraunt week event called Red hosted by Tom Colicchio and Jess Jackson of Kendall jackson at Craft a steakhouse of Colicchios in the meatpacking district near the Gansevort Hotel. It was all red meat and red wine. Kobe sliders and cups like that with four types of flavored thick cut smoked and cured in hosue bacon as appetizers for the pre game. Family style table setup to share entrees and FOs I her with a bourbon and red hot cinnamon candy flavored red velvet cake for dessert which worked well because half our table were in form burbs and had to get out before dessert which left 5-6 bourbon and believer cake dishes for fat a** me to crush’s. The bacon was sublime .

Colocchio is a somewhat known TV cool but actually legit like most who have tv show. His food is off the chains except for that nasty nasty bone marrow on half cut bone in rock salt bed. That’s wretched and I’m trying to not figure too deep in my disturbing metaphors to really describe the marrow.
Colicchio is absolutely legit. Opening chef/partner at Gramercy Tavern, opened Craft in 2001. It’s absolutely not a steakhouse. Its uniqueness at the time was that dishes are served family style for the table, to be shared. You order from a protein column, starch column, vegetable column, etc. Usually coming to the table in a copper vessel.

Craft won best new restaurant (USA) at 2002 James Beard Awards in NYC. A good friend I went to culinary school with was cooking there. After the ceremony at the Marriott Marquis there was a massive private party at Craft to celebrate. We were there till about 3am drinking great Champagne and top Burgundies along with an array of great food including a suckling pig. I was at the awards as a nominee for another category, decked out in my tuxedo. Good times.

Ok, you need to man-up with the bone marrow. It’s one of the most succulent and flavorful samples of fat from protein ever. Loaded with collagen which makes it so good and healthy.
Ever heard of Mimolette cheese? Chatted with some cheese nut yest at the House of Danny W and the guy was talking it up and how mites get into the skin to enhance it. It’s ok. Dry. I liked the 26yr sharp Irish cheddar we got better.
Very familiar with Mimolette, though not with the mite issue. Easy to understand cheese in a ball shape that starts semi-soft and if you keep it around will darken and become semi hard to the point where you can actually grate it onto something like eggs or salads.

Best eaten by making slices with a vegetable peeler. Thin slices allow it to soften easier and release flavors once inside your mouth. Some believe that during a 17th century ban on foreign goods it was created to replace the Dutch Edam which has some similarities.
Nice - learn something new here and especially good around food. Finished it, had cut chunks but could see where thinner slices would be good. $24.99/lb was no joke.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
ardilla secreta

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:37 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:31 pm

Nice - learn something new here and especially good around food. Finished it, had cut chunks but could see where thinner slices would be good. $24.99/lb was no joke.
Forgot to mention that Mimolette was the favorite cheese of Charles de Gaulle, which sounds somewhat impressive until you find out he is from Lille as is the cheese.

Then there’s his famous cheese quote.
“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Dozens sickened across 22 states in salmonella outbreak linked to bagged, precut onions

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fda-recall ... eak-gills/

An outbreak of salmonella poisoning linked to bagged, precut onions has sickened at least 73 people in 22 states, including 15 who were hospitalized, U.S. health officials said Tuesday.

Gills Onions of Oxnard, California, has recalled packages of diced yellow onions, red onions, onions and celery and a mix of onions, celery and carrots, known as mirepoix, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said. The products recalled had use-by dates in August 2023.

They are no longer for sale in stores, but consumers may have them — or foods made with them — in freezers. Consumers should not eat, sell or serve the onions for foods made with them, health officials said.

The diced onion products were sold to food service providers and other institutions in the U.S. and Canada, and at retailers in Arizona, California, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington. Retail sites included Stater Bros., Bashas' markets, Smart & Final and Chef's stores.

Salmonella poisoning can cause serious illness, especially in children younger than 5, elderly people and those with weakened immune systems. Symptoms of infection usually occur within 12 hours to three days after eating contaminated food and include diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps.

Officials with the FDA and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are investigating the outbreak to determine the source and whether additional products are tied to illnesses.

Be on alert!

ardilla secreta

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:33 pm Dozens sickened across 22 states in salmonella outbreak linked to bagged, precut onions

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fda-recall ... eak-gills/

An outbreak of salmonella poisoning linked to bagged, precut onions has sickened at least 73 people in 22 states, including 15 who were hospitalized, U.S. health officials said Tuesday.

Gills Onions of Oxnard, California, has recalled packages of diced yellow onions, red onions, onions and celery and a mix of onions, celery and carrots, known as mirepoix, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said. The products recalled had use-by dates in August 2023.

They are no longer for sale in stores, but consumers may have them — or foods made with them — in freezers. Consumers should not eat, sell or serve the onions for foods made with them, health officials said.

The diced onion products were sold to food service providers and other institutions in the U.S. and Canada, and at retailers in Arizona, California, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington. Retail sites included Stater Bros., Bashas' markets, Smart & Final and Chef's stores.

Salmonella poisoning can cause serious illness, especially in children younger than 5, elderly people and those with weakened immune systems. Symptoms of infection usually occur within 12 hours to three days after eating contaminated food and include diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps.

Officials with the FDA and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are investigating the outbreak to determine the source and whether additional products are tied to illnesses.

Be on alert!
Dicing onions, carrots and celery is sooooo laborious. How does one exist without domestic servants?
ardilla secreta

Yellow Walleye is back baby!
Couldn’t resist. A quick pan sautéed with rice pilaf and sautéed asparagus and zucchini.
IMG_3989.jpeg
IMG_3989.jpeg (103.69 KiB) Viewed 608 times
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:51 pm
Dicing onions, carrots and celery is sooooo laborious. How does one exist without domestic servants?

I love to cook so that is no burden to me.

But to families where both spouses work long hours, having domestic servants as in the old days could well be the solution they need to keep better households. With all these immigrants who still want to come into the USA they could be employed in that capacity. I have read where up to 60% or more of all women worked as in the household field up to WW I (the percentage being far lower today). Immigrants came largely from Ireland, were paid small wages, but were given room & board in their host family's home, did not incur transportation or other costs for purchase of garments, and because there was no income tax, they could save a small amount of money every week. Wasn't much but it was a living.

Mebbe people should consider doing the similar things today. At the end of the year household owners need to fill out 1040 Schedule H to report wages/taxes for domestic workers. This simplified recording system enables workers to get Social Security and Medicare among other social entitlements. As with past eras, those workers won't get paid very much but, again, it's a living.

DMac

Post by DMac »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:58 pm Yellow Walleye is back baby!
Couldn’t resist. A quick pan sautéed with rice pilaf and sautéed asparagus and zucchini.
IMG_3989.jpeg
I want that!!! Looks good and no doubt it is. First time I see it in the store I'm getting some.
Meanwhile, made another one of these. Made one (first time) some time back, had a craving
for another one. Basically a Ruben in pizza dough. Corned beef, kraut, Swiss cheese (mustard
in there too). Things are pretty darn tasty, the caraway seeds give the dough a rye flavor which
is perfect. Gotta work on that braiding part a little bit but it's all good.
ImageImage
ardilla secreta

That roll came out pretty well. So, you’re making your own Hot Pockets now?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

made myself an absolutely luscious pumpkin pie

takes me less than 2 days to eat it all :D

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Porter house on sale at Harris Teeter for $8.99/lb, snagged a couple that had a healthy tenderloin. I taste of Strip and tenderloin. I will say, I still prefer a ribeye.

~Rested most of the day, with the smoked Bourbon salt and pepper

~ Homemade chimichurri
~ Sweet mini-peppers, white onion, and Brussel sprouts, with a splash of EVOO and some Bourbon Barrel Steak Seasoning

~ preheated cast Iron in oven to 500, moved to stove top on medium high heat with some EVOO to coat pan. 3:45 seconds on each side, roughly 128-132 degrees and pulled, let it rest under tented foil with some Danish Creamery butter.

~ veggies into the same skillet while steak was resting. Sliced thinly and served.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Damn, youth, you're killin' it with that one, nice!!
Too good for the dog, she probably didn't get any
of that, eh? ;)
ardilla secreta

Looks cooked to perfection. $8.99 is pretty awesome buy. Winner all around. Hope you didn’t put that on a cold plate.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:55 pm Porter house on sale at Harris Teeter for $8.99/lb, snagged a couple that had a healthy tenderloin. I taste of Strip and tenderloin. I will say, I still prefer a ribeye.

~Rested most of the day, with the smoked Bourbon salt and pepper

~ Homemade chimichurri
~ Sweet mini-peppers, white onion, and Brussel sprouts, with a splash of EVOO and some Bourbon Barrel Steak Seasoning

~ preheated cast Iron in oven to 500, moved to stove top on medium high heat with some EVOO to coat pan. 3:45 seconds on each side, roughly 128-132 degrees and pulled, let it rest under tented foil with some Danish Creamery butter.

~ veggies into the same skillet while steak was resting. Sliced thinly and served.

Excellent
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ Sumptuous repast fit for a King.

ardilla secreta

Don’t make many cocktails at home anymore, but had a hankering for a good gin and tonic. Hayman’s London Dry with Fever-Tree tonic in my special cocktail glass. Tasty!
IMG_4266.jpeg
IMG_4266.jpeg (94.81 KiB) Viewed 442 times

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”