Ivy League issue?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Ivy League issue?

Post by Dr. Tact »

Boy, talk about a can of worms.....I had no idea how this would go when I posted the original post. :o
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Xlax wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:20 pm Where has she "trashed" anybody?
Fair point. I probably went too far in reading between the lines. I am assuming that in what's shaped up to be a she said/she said situation, that she is going to blame the players not herself. I have zero skin in this game, but I am just a big believer in positive coaching (see Walker, Acacia) and am fairly allergic to innuendo aimed at college-aged athletes.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Delco Transplant wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:47 pm If the environment at Yale is so toxic, why was there only an exodus by the seniors? In other programs where there has been a long history and well chronicled level of toxicity (i.e. Louisville), players at all levels transferred or quit. Granted, there might be less of a likelihood for a player to transfer out of Yale (unless you are Jeff Van Gundy🏀). With no scholarship money, I would think that some players from all years at Yale would be leaving the team if any toxicity that existed was due to the coach. It’s a sad truth, but in today’s world people want an easy path to success/riches. However, there are no substitutes for hard work work and sacrifice.
Absolutely correct, hit the nail on the head. If you look at the prior year I believe they lost 5 seniors as well...so I think it’s a matter of kids not playing, having jobs lined up, and wanting to enjoy last year of school without lax obligations. Sad to blame it on the coach.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 pm 8meter’s theory is more plausible than Xlax’s in my opinion. A quick glance at the bios of these young women does not suggest they are the types to choose Toad’s over hard work. The seniors are a collection of HS valedictorians, multiple sport captains, academic all-Americans and high academic achievers at Yale. The type of personal slander on these young women would not have survived an hour on the old Laxpower. I respect your opinion and value your point about a two-way bargain on admissions and playing ball. You may know more facts about this situation, but I am 99% sure there is more to the story than six women who want to party their way through senior year. Since we don’t know all the facts, the benefit of the doubt goes to the young amateur athlete when it comes to a decision as to whether or not to rip them publicly.
Thank goodness the old Laxpower is dead and gone--with all its meddling, biased, over-sensitive, busy-bodies masquerading as moderators. Here--people are free to voice their opinions without being censored.

Lacrosse is a sport. We should be free to discuss sports here like any other forum that deals with sports--the participating athletes and coaches included. As to who has a ridiculous perspective, or a spiteful one, or an intelligent, measured point of view--it all comes out in the wash for all to see. That's how adults discuss controversial topics. Long live free speech in the good ol' US of A.
mdlaxfan

Post by mdlaxfan »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:19 pm
Delco Transplant wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:47 pm If the environment at Yale is so toxic, why was there only an exodus by the seniors? In other programs where there has been a long history and well chronicled level of toxicity (i.e. Louisville), players at all levels transferred or quit. Granted, there might be less of a likelihood for a player to transfer out of Yale (unless you are Jeff Van Gundy🏀). With no scholarship money, I would think that some players from all years at Yale would be leaving the team if any toxicity that existed was due to the coach. It’s a sad truth, but in today’s world people want an easy path to success/riches. However, there are no substitutes for hard work work and sacrifice.
Absolutely correct, hit the nail on the head. If you look at the prior year I believe they lost 5 seniors as well...so I think it’s a matter of kids not playing, having jobs lined up, and wanting to enjoy last year of school without lax obligations. Sad to blame it on the coach.
They lost more than just the seniors last year. They also lost 3 sophomores, one of whom was a starter as a freshman. It may be sad to put all of this on the coach, but it is equally sad to assume that these women quit because they weren’t getting playing time or just wanted to party.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:36 pm How in the world can Yale wlax be such a mess? A sub par (how unYale like) W-L record, a relvolving door on the coach's office, and six seniors who have said I want no part of wlax at Yale anymore. A pretty ugly picture all in all, don't want to take a pamphlet with you with all that stuff in it on the recruiting trail....damn.
Someone needs to get a bulldog like grip on this program and shake it up a little bit, cuz the cats who are in charge aint doin' such a good job across the board. Girls on the field aren't scoring enough goals either.
How are the other Yale women's sports faring?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:10 pm
Can Opener wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 pm 8meter’s theory is more plausible than Xlax’s in my opinion. A quick glance at the bios of these young women does not suggest they are the types to choose Toad’s over hard work. The seniors are a collection of HS valedictorians, multiple sport captains, academic all-Americans and high academic achievers at Yale. The type of personal slander on these young women would not have survived an hour on the old Laxpower. I respect your opinion and value your point about a two-way bargain on admissions and playing ball. You may know more facts about this situation, but I am 99% sure there is more to the story than six women who want to party their way through senior year. Since we don’t know all the facts, the benefit of the doubt goes to the young amateur athlete when it comes to a decision as to whether or not to rip them publicly.
Thank goodness the old Laxpower is dead and gone--with all its meddling, biased, over-sensitive, busy-bodies masquerading as moderators. Here--people are free to voice their opinions without being censored.
Right, all six (or is it eight?) posters are free to write a lot of horseschidt that's not true too (see above post).
The senior girls quit because dollar peach vodka shots on Wednesday nights at Toad's meant more to them than Yale wlax, and when the younger gals are of drinking age they're going to quit too. Oh, the dollar matinee on Saturday afternoons down at the Triple X Theater conflicted with game days too. I heard all that from a pretty reliable source. Unsencored freedom of speech is just the best, eh?
MVLax1234

Post by MVLax1234 »

Another topic thread raised the issue of competitive parity. Issue raised was limited supply of successful teams as measured by either Natty or Final Four appearance. Given the discussion about Yale, another reason for the limited supply successful teams is that those programs do not have similar issues involving players, staff and organization. Have the right DNA in your total team (players, staff, college support) and success will probably follow.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:06 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:10 pm Thank goodness the old Laxpower is dead and gone--with all its meddling, biased, over-sensitive, busy-bodies masquerading as moderators. Here--people are free to voice their opinions without being censored.
Right, all six (or is it eight?) posters are free to write a lot of horseschidt that's not true too (see above post).
The senior girls quit because dollar peach vodka shots on Wednesday nights at Toad's meant more to them than Yale wlax, and when the younger gals are of drinking age they're going to quit too. Oh, the dollar matinee on Saturday afternoons down at the Triple X Theater conflicted with game days too. I heard all that from a pretty reliable source. Unsencored freedom of speech is just the best, eh?
Case in point.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes, and a good example of why what you call an over sensitive busy body masqurating as a moderator wouldn't allow such fabricated slander. Kinda keeps the place a little more reputable and one you can depend on for accurate information, eh?
Got some news for you, you can find the overly sensitive part from the parents of these D1 wlaxers, believe me (certainly not all of them).
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:29 pm How are the other Yale women's sports faring?
TLD raises the right point. Yale doesn't care about women's sports in the same way they do about men's sports. Never has. They are perennial under performers on the women's side while Yale has multiple men's sports winning National titles (lacrosse, hockey, rowing) and most competing for league titles each year. In it's history, Yale has won 2 team NCAA national championships in women's sports and that was in fencing nearly 40 years ago. Meanwhile, the men have won 27 team NCAA national championships....
Yale women's athletic teams have won a grand total of 4 ivy regular season titles in the past 5 years which is a small fraction of the titles won by Harvard and Princeton.
During that same period, men's sports at Yale have won 17 ivy regular season titles and 4 team national championships (NCAA and Non-NCAA).
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 am Yes, and a good example of why what you call an over sensitive busy body masqurating as a moderator wouldn't allow such fabricated slander. Kinda keeps the place a little more reputable and one you can depend on for accurate information, eh?
Got some news for you, you can find the overly sensitive part from the parents of these D1 wlaxers, believe me (certainly not all of them).
From the “About us” section of the home page of this forum:

“FanLax is a website and forum dedicated to serving all lacrosse fans. Well, not the obnoxious ones. But the vast majority of fans of lacrosse. So, if you like lacrosse and you're not obnoxious, you've come to the right place. If you like lacrosse and you are obnoxious, you've also come to the right place. We even have a forum packed with people just like you.”

(Emphasis mine)

I don’t read anything here that demonstrates that FanLax is aiming at being a forum that is “reputable and one you can depend on for accurate information” or that it is endeavoring to accommodate or be sensitive to “parents of D1 wlaxers”.

What I Do read in FanLax Rules and Penalty Box is as follows:

"Unsportsmanlike Conduct
SECTION 4. No post-er shall:
a. Enter into a maligning argument with an official, Admin, as to any decision that has been made.
b. Use threatening, profane or obscene language, or gestures.
c. Bait, taunt, call undue attention to oneself, or commit any other act considered unsportsmanlike by the officials. Baiting and taunting is a one-to-three-day non-releasable foul in all cases.
Note 1: If a player continues to be abusive after the penalty is assessed, the official may add additional non-releasable fouls. Penalty time from these fouls counts toward the 5-day limit for fouling out. Fighting and Flagrant misconduct are expulsion fouls. An expelled individual does not go to the penalty box. The individual is barred from the FanLax Forum completely for a minimum of five days and a maximum of forever."

I didn't read anything in this Ivy League Issue thread that fit the descriptions of what constitutes Unsportsmanlike Conduct. I've heard/read the same speculative narrative frequently on sports talk radio, sports columnists, and conversations around the water cooler at work. I think the word "slander" was applied too liberally here. What I Did read that got warmer to a violation of the aforementioned rules were angry, sarcastic, hyperbolic ventings of spleens at some of the speculations/rumors/inside source reportings--whatever. It also read a little bit like bullying and/or intimidation.

Just curious--does this kind of chiding response to speculations/criticisms/presumptions occur on the Division 1 men's lacrosse side of the forum?
Xlax

Post by Xlax »

Excellent post
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nice review, laxnut, 'cept it doesn't have anything to do with the discussion. Can Opener came on and said (paraphrasing) that he appreciated the fact that at LAXPOWER no one could come on with such unfounded horseschidt as the girls quit because they'd rather be at Toad's partying than on the Yale wlax field.
You then came on jumping with joy saying how wonderful it is that there are no busy bodies masquarding as moderators at FANLAX who would come on and delete the unfounded, slanderous claim.
I don’t read anything here that demonstrates that FanLax is aiming at being a forum that is “reputable and one you can depend on for accurate information” or that it is endeavoring to accommodate or be sensitive to “parents of D1 wlaxers”.
You view it as good that I can come on and say the girls would rather be at the Triple X Theater on Saturday afternoons than playing lacrosse for Yale with no evidence of that being true, I don't. That doesn't make for a reputable place that you can depend on for accurate information, does it?
Xlax

Post by Xlax »

Dmac keeps tossing words like "slanderous" around and that is baloney. "Unfounded" is also baloney. Just because observations made by athletes on the ground do not agree with the narrative you want to promote does not give you the right to throw nonsense like that around. Believe what you want to believe. Its clear you need to paint this a certain way so go ahead. Some of us will choose to believe otherwise based on what players we know and respect tell us. Have a good night.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Xlax wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:25 pmExcellent post
Thanks, Xlax 👍
DMac

Post by DMac »

Xlax wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:14 pm Dmac keeps tossing words like "slanderous" around and that is baloney. "Unfounded" is also baloney. Just because observations made by athletes on the ground do not agree with the narrative you want to promote does not give you the right to throw nonsense like that around. Believe what you want to believe. Its clear you need to paint this a certain way so go ahead. Some of us will choose to believe otherwise based on what players we know and respect tell us. Have a good night.
DMac wasn't the first or only person to toss the word slander into the discussion, you say baloney to that and throw unfounded in with it. I say where's the beef? A girl you know told you, so unfounded is baloney? Not a chance one of the sayonara six might tell a different story than the Toad's one? If she has a different version of the story does that make yours slanderous? Six bright Yale senior girls too caught up in Toad's lure to give it up for their fourth year of lacrosse at Yale....and that's the truth, aint no two sides to this story.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:08 pmJust curious--does this kind of chiding response to speculations/criticisms/presumptions occur on the Division 1 men's lacrosse side of the forum?
It does.

Separately, we received more than one "Report this Post" about this thread and...wlax, we tend to agree. We're not sure we see a foul. We're not scoffing. We just don't see a reason to give a warning let alone throw a flag.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

admin wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:16 am
wlaxnut wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:08 pmJust curious--does this kind of chiding response to speculations/criticisms/presumptions occur on the Division 1 men's lacrosse side of the forum?
It does.

Separately, we received more than one "Report this Post" about this thread and...wlax, we tend to agree. We're not sure we see a foul. We're not scoffing. We just don't see a reason to give a warning let alone throw a flag.
Thanks, Admin. It means a great deal to me that you weighed in on this. It helps define the standard for the new and improved and liberated LaxPower.
DMac

Post by DMac »

No, it is not the new and improved and liberated LaxPower, it is Fanlax, two seperate entities like The Dollar Store and Macy's. At Fanlax any toad can come on and make up stories about wlaxers changing their priorites from lacrosse to partying and hanging out at The Triple X Theater with no proof to back that story up, whereas at LaxPower that wouldn't be tolerated. Viva la difference!!
Any word on whether or not the two sophomore BC wlaxers who came back to campus pregnant this year will be red shirting? Gonna be tough to balance motherhood, college, and D1 wlax, particularly given that one of the fathers is in jail and the other fled the country. Sounds like those two gals are pretty much on their own. That's what I heard, anyway.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”