NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
slippinjimmy

Re: NESCAC

Post by slippinjimmy »

SaltCounty wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:41 am
sguy9 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:54 am
On another note what's up with Conn having both the Coast Guard and Trinity games this week postponed?
Trin game was ppd due to storm in early April. Today was the only day they could squeeze it in, so it replaces a non-conference CGA game.
Conn has a path to the 8 seed; and one in which they control / need no help from others.

They need to beat Trinity OR Wesleyan.
They get Trinity at home which I'm sure helps some.
Since Coach Nagle has arrived, they've matched up well against Wesleyan.
Not sure which one is more in reach for them.

They HAVE to beat Hamilton; with it being their final NESCAC game of the season.
Hamilton wins - they have 4 league wins and the field is set.
Conn wins (plus beats 1 of the 2) and their 3 wins gets the head-to-head tie breaker over Hamilton.
Good year to be on the right side of a long bus trip.

If that all unfolded - it would make this a "not how you start, how you finish" type season for a Conn everyone thought would perform better.

I just hope that the Quarterfinal rounds have more early-season rematches (IE. Trinity @ Bowdoin) than repeats from the final 7-10 days.
I think this is a very real possibility - Conn will have to show up though.

Is Conn the NC State of the NESCAC???
NoseDownIncorporated

Post by NoseDownIncorporated »

slippinjimmy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:55 am
On another note what's up with Conn having both the Coast Guard and Trinity games this week postponed?
Trin game was ppd due to storm in early April. Today was the only day they could squeeze it in, so it replaces a non-conference CGA game.
Conn has a path to the 8 seed; and one in which they control / need no help from others.

They HAVE to beat Hamilton; with it being their final NESCAC game of the season.
Conn wins (plus beats 1 of the 2) and their 3 wins gets the head-to-head tie breaker over Hamilton.

If that all unfolded - it would make this a "not how you start, how you finish" type season for a Conn everyone thought would perform better.

I just hope that the Quarterfinal rounds have more early-season rematches (IE. Trinity @ Bowdoin) than repeats from the final 7-10 days.

Agreed Conn is the NC State of the NESCAC, and their DJ Burns comparison based on some roster research is #1 in the midfield
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

slippinjimmy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:55 am

Yes, if they have NC States PG transfer in and play, he was a pretty fair laxer!!
Nescac12001

Post by Nescac12001 »

Another player I’d like to note that goes under the radar is Ollie Bernstein from Bowdoin. While his stats are no slouch, they don’t dominate Bowdoin’s stat sheet. But if you watch Bowdoin play you will see that Bernstein may just be the most impactful player on Bowdoin’s offense. He may not have the higher stats that some of his teammates do out there but he consistently makes the right play every single time he is out on the field. Even if he doesn’t get the goal or the assist in any given possession, the offense likely benefited from his initiating dodge running through a defender, or the one more pass he makes to get the defense to rotate. Ollie consistently makes the smart, high IQ play that keeps the ball moving on their end and setting up his high scoring teammates. Under-appreciated talent like Ollie’s is what is missing from accolade nominations at the end of every year. Not always about the guys with the most goals in my opinion…
ah23

Post by ah23 »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:02 am Also good question about ROY/POY. 2 best defensemen of the last 25 years in NESCAC (in my opinion but not exactly a hot take) were Jed Raymond (3x First Team AA, 2x National Defense Player of the Year, 1999 National Player of the Year) and Spike Malangone 3x AA, National Defense Player of the Year). I’m pretty sure Spike was not NESCAC POY but Jed was. That however was 25 years ago, not sure about anyone since off the top of my head.
Looked this up on the NESCAC website: there hasn’t been a single defenseman or goalie to be named POY this millennium. Since 2001, the award has gone to 18 attack and 4 middies (two of which were Mike Stone, so really it’s three middies). I get that end-of-season recognition can seem like it boils down to stats-watching + “hey I’ve heard of that guy”, but…I don’t really buy that that the best player in the conference has never been a defensive player. ROY is basically the same; 17 attack, 4 middies, and 1 defenseman (Tony Aleandre, Trinity, 2001).
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

ah23 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:40 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:02 am Also good question about ROY/POY. 2 best defensemen of the last 25 years in NESCAC (in my opinion but not exactly a hot take) were Jed Raymond (3x First Team AA, 2x National Defense Player of the Year, 1999 National Player of the Year) and Spike Malangone 3x AA, National Defense Player of the Year). I’m pretty sure Spike was not NESCAC POY but Jed was. That however was 25 years ago, not sure about anyone since off the top of my head.
Looked this up on the NESCAC website: there hasn’t been a single defenseman or goalie to be named POY this millennium. Since 2001, the award has gone to 18 attack and 4 middies (two of which were Mike Stone, so really it’s three middies). I get that end-of-season recognition can seem like it boils down to stats-watching + “hey I’ve heard of that guy”, but…I don’t really buy that that the best player in the conference has never been a defensive player. ROY is basically the same; 17 attack, 4 middies, and 1 defenseman (Tony Aleandre, Trinity, 2001).
NESCAC is not exactly known for its defense.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Amherst getting their best goalie and worst faceoff results of the year, so far translating to a 9-4 3Q lead on RPI
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Witnessing an all-time choke job by Amherst/all-time comeback by RPI right now, wildly entertaining game regardless of the outcome.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Almost blew it! Amherst holds on 1412 with empty netter at the end, huge with for them and another great OOC win for the league. Amherst is in the tourney at this point, almost regardless of what happens next.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

ah23 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:47 pm Witnessing an all-time choke job by Amherst/all-time comeback by RPI right now, wildly entertaining game regardless of the outcome.
Who won?
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

So, just wondering, can we now put to bed this notion, perhaps nonsense, after seeing a fairly complete body of work, the LL is superior to the NESCAC? CAC will easily, let me repeat, easily get 3 and, prolly 4 bids, yet again. Bowdoin & Tufts in, right? Midd in before St. Larry? Amherst in before RPI, no? Oh, I forgot Wes, they have a pretty good resume, right? You can easily make a better case for 5 rather than 3.

Tufts better show up on Sat, Amherst is a dangerous team right now, loss to Bowdoin not withstanding.
billyosier

Post by billyosier »

callaxdad wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:33 pm So, just wondering, can we now put to bed this notion, perhaps nonsense, after seeing a fairly complete body of work, the LL is superior to the NESCAC? CAC will easily, let me repeat, easily get 3 and, prolly 4 bids, yet again. Bowdoin & Tufts in, right? Midd in before St. Larry? Amherst in before RPI, no? Oh, I forgot Wes, they have a pretty good resume, right? You can easily make a better case for 5 rather than 3.

Tufts better show up on Sat, Amherst is a dangerous team right now, loss to Bowdoin not withstanding.
You’re out of your mind if you think MIDD and Amherst are in over SLU and RPI.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

billyosier wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:36 pm
callaxdad wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:33 pm So, just wondering, can we now put to bed this notion, perhaps nonsense, after seeing a fairly complete body of work, the LL is superior to the NESCAC? CAC will easily, let me repeat, easily get 3 and, prolly 4 bids, yet again. Bowdoin & Tufts in, right? Midd in before St. Larry? Amherst in before RPI, no? Oh, I forgot Wes, they have a pretty good resume, right? You can easily make a better case for 5 rather than 3.

Perhaps, but, they beat them!! Total picture, total season, maybe not, but, head to head and, late in the season, which IMO matters, advantage NESCAC schools. And, it def swings the SOS in the favor of the NESCAC. Tell me how I'm OOMM.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Big NESCAC fan and certainly happy to see several teams turn it around but gotta agree with billy somewhat. Overall, LL has had a better year, though the margin is now slim. RPI is getting in. SLU is 100% in with a win in either of next two games. If they lose both, they will be interesting and on the bubble. Head to head counts for nothing in selection. Not saying that is how it should be but is how it is. Nor is any weight given whatsoever to timing of wins, you get no credit for being hot at the end of the year. SOS, win %, regional ranked wins. Tufts, Bowdoin are in, Amherst 99% there and in with win over Trinity. Wes would be in with win over Bowdoin, if they lose, they might be in a 1:1 toss up with SLU
All this assuming bubble teams don’t get huge wins in conf tourneys, loses don’t hurt too much
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:48 pm Big NESCAC fan and certainly happy to see several teams turn it around but gotta agree with billy somewhat. Overall, LL has had a better year, though the margin is now slim. RPI is getting in. SLU is 100% in with a win in either of next two games. If they lose both, they will be interesting and on the bubble. Head to head counts for nothing in selection. Not saying that is how it should be but is how it is. Nor is any weight given whatsoever to timing of wins, you get no credit for being hot at the end of the year. SOS, win %, regional ranked wins. Tufts, Bowdoin are in, Amherst 99% there and in with win over Trinity. Wes would be in with win over Bowdoin, if they lose, they might be in a 1:1 toss up with SLU
All this assuming bubble teams don’t get huge wins in conf tourneys, loses don’t hurt too much
pcow, you def speak the truth, which is why every year, whether D3 or D1 there are head scratchers... look at ND and Dook 2 years ago, a travesty IMO!! So, should be interesting come selection Sunday fo sho.... just sayin, as things unfold, CAC startin to look like the CAC!!
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

Come on man.. don’t be a troll. Those teams have 2 combined losses with higher quality wins. Personally if I had it my way I’d load up the large bids with nescac and LL teams. There all talented teams so it’s not surprising they happen to lose one on away, mid-week game against a high quality opponent. Just the way it goes. However Liberty has had the edge all year and just because they lost one given the circumstances doesn’t make them the worse team. It’s unusual to go undefeated throughout the season with no hiccups.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

billyosier wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:36 pm

Btw, yes, I've been out of my mind for a while now!! Haha. Go Bos!!
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

Low2high22 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:59 pmHowever Liberty has had the edge all year
If that’s true, as he said, it’s now paper thin. All we’ve heard is how down the NESCAC is, yet these out of conference wins:

Amherst over #2 RPI, #6 Swarthmore (the only loss for either), #19 Gettysburg

Tufts over #8 CNU, #9 Union, #11 Babson, #13 Stevens

Midd over #5 St. Lawrence (only loss)

Hamilton over #16 Lynchburg

Wesleyan over #20 Roanoke

Williams over #8 CNU, #11 Babson

No other conference, including the Liberty has 6 teams with a top-20 win. Most conferences have 1 or maybe 2 teams capable of that. Good thing it’s a down year….
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

SouthieLax wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:17 pm
Low2high22 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:59 pmHowever Liberty has had the edge all year
If that’s true, as he said, it’s now paper thin. All we’ve heard is how down the NESCAC is, yet these out of conference wins:

Amherst over #2 RPI, #6 Swarthmore (the only loss for either), #19 Gettysburg

Tufts over #8 CNU, #9 Union, #11 Babson, #13 Stevens

Midd over #5 St. Lawrence (only loss)

Hamilton over #16 Lynchburg

Wesleyan over #20 Roanoke

Williams over #8 CNU, #11 Babson

No other conference, including the Liberty has 6 teams with a top-20 win. Most conferences have 1 or maybe 2 teams capable of that. Good thing it’s a down year….
has had, as in past tense, right?
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Low2high22 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:59 pm

Come on man.. don’t be a troll. Those teams have 2 combined losses with higher quality wins. Personally if I had it my way I’d load up the large bids with nescac and LL teams. There all talented teams so it’s not surprising they happen to lose one on away, mid-week game against a high quality opponent. Just the way it goes. However Liberty has had the edge all year and just because they lost one given the circumstances doesn’t make them the worse team. It’s unusual to go undefeated throughout the season with no hiccups.
Low2high22, please don't throw the troll moniker insult at me ffs, it's totally unwarranted and I don't want to have to completely b slap you (lol jk!) so lets be civil. To answer your retort, yeah LL looked a little stronger earlier in the season, right now looks like the cream is rising to the top. It's not just "they lost one", they lost a couple, they being the top of the LL, a couple significant ones at a significant point in the season. You're making excuses. Lets call it a tie at this point...Yes, there will be LL and NESCAC teams who won't make the tourney who are worthy.. should be a great May!! Cheers mate! CLD
Last edited by callaxdad on Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”