NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
SKUD

Re: NESCAC

Post by SKUD »

And other than the Salisbury the same could be said for Reg 3.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

SKUD wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:02 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am
Harlem-lax19 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:27 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:56 am Neither Endicott nor Babson would be ranked in region III
Well Babson is ranked 11 in the USILA poll, and Endicott is ranked 17.
In region 3 there Babson is ranked higher than Stevens (14), Gettysburg (20) and Stevenson (Unranked), and Endicott is ranked higher than Gettysburg (20) and Stevenson (Unranked). So something tells me that both Endicott and Babson would be ranked in Region 3.
And those “rankings” mean absolutely zilch. SOS and regionally ranked wins are what matters for NCAA regional rankings. Stevenson will be out today in region III, and York will be last in.

Endicott’s SOS is trash, and they have 1 regionally ranked win. No shot.

Babson’s SOS is better than Endicott’s, but pales in comparison to York’s. With 2 regionally ranked wins, same as York, who is to be last in in region III rankings. More of a shot than Endicott, probably would get a side by side look vs York for that last spot, but me thinks no. SOS not close.

Region I has parity, even beyond the NESCAC, that it hasn’t seen in some time. But the overall level of play, and just where that parity lies, isn’t where it has been for some time either.
And other than the Salisbury the same could be said for Reg 3.
Play is down there too for sure (especially my Captains). But I’m saying is that Region I isn’t the deepest, as someone had previously stated. Even their “Salisbury,” Tufts, is down. And that, two of their regionally ranked teams wouldn’t even make last on the list in RIII. As expected here, I caught pushback.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

Respectfully disagree and feel they would do as well or better based on what I have watched in of Reg 3 and 1. But opinions are like assholes and we all have them. Hopefully, we see some good crossover games in the NCAA tournament
choochooCharlie

SKUD wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:24 am Respectfully disagree and feel they would do as well or better based on what I have watched in of Reg 3 and 1. But opinions are like assholes and we all have them. Hopefully, we see some good crossover games in the NCAA tournament
It’s just a current resume comparison, that’s all. Absolutely looking forward to some more crossover action. This has been a pretty good year for that too.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Laxguy3 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am Moving off the Coach Gameday J's conversation... The Amherst Tufts game this weekend ended in a 14-13 win for tufts after #8 for Amherst seemingly hit a pipe on what would have been a game-tying goal with 20ish seconds left.

However, if you go to the Tufts highlight video (minute mark 3:16) (https://youtu.be/dtWPHE3A5hM?si=92dkGn6rVxcNUP01) it appears that the shot actually went in. The ball clearly does not hit the vertical pipe. Not blaming the refs on this one because it can be extremely difficult to tell but what a brutal break for the Jeffs. A win would likely have secured them for an NCAA tourney bid.
Laxguy3, cannot disagree with you, I was down at the other end of the field but, several people told me they thought it went in as well. If Amherst wins that game, I agree with you, I think that punches their ticket. That said, as impressive a résumé as they have they are not guaranteed a bid yet… a lot of fun lax left before selection Sunday!
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

callaxdad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:06 pm
Laxguy3 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am Moving off the Coach Gameday J's conversation... The Amherst Tufts game this weekend ended in a 14-13 win for tufts after #8 for Amherst seemingly hit a pipe on what would have been a game-tying goal with 20ish seconds left.

However, if you go to the Tufts highlight video (minute mark 3:16) (https://youtu.be/dtWPHE3A5hM?si=92dkGn6rVxcNUP01) it appears that the shot actually went in. The ball clearly does not hit the vertical pipe. Not blaming the refs on this one because it can be extremely difficult to tell but what a brutal break for the Jeffs. A win would likely have secured them for an NCAA tourney bid.
Laxguy3, cannot disagree with you, I was down at the other end of the field but, several people told me they thought it went in as well. If Amherst wins that game, I agree with you, I think that punches their ticket. That said, as impressive a résumé as they have they are not guaranteed a bid yet… a lot of fun lax left before selection Sunday!
Push too it looks like?
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

georgeoar394 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:21 pm
callaxdad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:06 pm

Push too it looks like?
Prolly!!
ah23

Post by ah23 »

The committee (in any sport) cares about who you beat, not just who you play. It’s strength of wins - ‘weakness’ of losses, not raw SOS.

Bowdoin had a great SOS last season (#7 overall, four spots ahead of where York is this season), but their five toughest games were all losses (also true for York). The committee ranked them behind a bunch of other teams and deservedly left them out of the tournament because “but but but SOS!!” only matters if the wins are there.

In related news:

Top 5 wins by Massey Rating
Babson:
#6 Bowdoin, #12 Middlebury, #40 WNE, #44 MIT, #47 Springfield
AVG: 29.8

York:
#17 W&L, #23 Stevenson, #28 Denison, #45 F&M, #59 Eastern
AVG: 34.4

Including all wins would make the gap between the two much larger; York’s wins after Eastern are ranked #101, #151, and #173.

Bottom 3 losses by Massey Rating
Babson:
#1 Tufts (lol) by 6, #10 Union by 1, #14 Williams by 1

York:
#11 Dickinson by 3, #18 Gettysburg by 5, #33 Grove City by 2

In short: whether or not they have the right #brand, Babson would be (and in fact is) ranked ahead of York this season. They’re beaten more teams, they’ve beaten better teams, and their losses are comparably ‘less bad’.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

Wish there was a like button! Nice N/S comparison between a winning team and a .500 team Ah23!
choochooCharlie

ah23 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:04 pm The committee (in any sport) cares about who you beat, not just who you play. It’s strength of wins - ‘weakness’ of losses, not raw SOS.
You’re saying this with such certainty, hoping others don’t know where to find it (who knows, maybe you actually believe it). But, you. are. still. wrong.

“• Division III strength of schedule.
o Opponents’AverageWinning
Percentage (OWP) 2/3 weight
o Opponents’Opponents’Average
Winning Percentage (OOWP) 1/3 weight“

My Source: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... andout.pdf
(Second page, right column- under Primary Selection Criteria)

Your source:
Trust me bro

The reality is, if you think Babson would get in the 6th spot of RIII over York, good for you. However they are currently in the 3rd RI spot, so that’s #RIIIoverRI.
SKUD wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:08 pm Wish there was a like button! Nice N/S comparison between a winning team and a .500 team Ah23!
Lol. Let this be a lesson in don’t trust everything someone writes on the internet then.

#CNUFTW
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Quick question, how many teams make the NCAA tourney? Is it 38 total, 24 AQ & 14 at large? Asking for a friend!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

You are actually kind of both saying the same things. The inclusion of opponents' opponents winning percentage is done precisely so that it isn't in fact just raw SOS. That is an attempt at an objective way of looking at the quality of your wins. Of course it isn't perfect, there are many regions where most of the ranked teams would finish last in one of the top 2 or 3 conferences but they have good records because they play even worse teams and beating them gets more credit than you should because of those high winning percentages, but that is the intent, to not pick based on pure winning percentage or opponents percentage or SOS. York has played a very hard schedule indeed but lost to almost every one of those good teams. They will be an interesting test case. The committee does have a specific list of factors they consider (and ranking is not one of them) but what they do not have is definitive mathematical formula that spits out a number, team are not admitted based purely on RPI for instance. If I were Babson or York I would not feel comfortable if I did not win the conference tourney.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

They are both 1 bid conferences
ah23

Post by ah23 »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:48 pm York has played a very hard schedule indeed but lost to almost every one of those good teams. They will be an interesting test case.
York’s resume is a worse version of Bowdoin’s from last season, didn’t realize the comp until I was looking things up for the previous post. I think Babson would absolutely be in over them (and might be a Pool C team regardless). Again…previous post - measurables are better in every way, even if the gap isn’t huge, but they would have to sweat every CCG and hope for minimal/no bid stealers. York is a good team that just didn’t do enough at the top of its schedule. Even one win in their top five losses would have made them a great Pool C team.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Meanwhile…what a final gameday! One last chance for some atrocious regular season lines courtesy of Vibes Sportsboij.

4:30 Conn. College @ Wesleyan (-7.5)
5:00 Williams @ Middlebury (-3.5)
6:00 Trinity @ Amherst (-5.5)
7:00 Bates @ Colby (-1.5)
7:00 Bowdoin @ Tufts (-2.5)

All home favorites tonight, thrilling stuff. Give me Wesleyan (Conn is terrible, Wesleyan is peaking at the right time), Middlebury (line is too high, but they’re trending up and Williams has gone dormant since the Tufts collapse…what could go wrong?), Amherst (if they’ve been locked in to the forums they know they need to make a statement), Bates (anytime you can roll with a team that hasn’t won conference game in two years, you have to do it), and Tufts (conference runs through them until someone takes it).
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

pipe.png
pipe.png (114.42 KiB) Viewed 746 times
Looks pretty clearly on the pipe to me. I can also tell you from experience, the ball doesn't bounce that way if it hits anything other than a post.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

There’s a really obvious sound of the ball hitting the pipe in in the video, I assumed the argument was that it hit the post and then bounced over the goal line.
choochooCharlie

ah23 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:05 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:48 pm York has played a very hard schedule indeed but lost to almost every one of those good teams. They will be an interesting test case.
York’s resume is a worse version of Bowdoin’s from last season, didn’t realize the comp until I was looking things up for the previous post. I think Babson would absolutely be in over them (and might be a Pool C team regardless). Again…previous post - measurables are better in every way, even if the gap isn’t huge, but they would have to sweat every CCG and hope for minimal/no bid stealers. York is a good team that just didn’t do enough at the top of its schedule. Even one win in their top five losses would have made them a great Pool C team.
A. The SOS, a primary regional ranking measurable, is far better for York. (Using the SOS as the NCAA defines it, not as Ah23 does, where only wins are tabulated)

B. Both will likely get their lowly AQs, so this pool C convo/comparison is mute.

C. My statement, in response to yours about RI being the deepest R, is that RIII is stronger than RI. The fact that the “gap isn’t huge” between #3 RI and #6 RIII helps you see this (I hope).
ah23

Post by ah23 »

ah23 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:18 pm Meanwhile…what a final gameday! One last chance for some atrocious regular season lines courtesy of Vibes Sportsboij.

4:30 Conn. College @ Wesleyan (-7.5)
5:00 Williams @ Middlebury (-3.5)
6:00 Trinity @ Amherst (-5.5)
7:00 Bates @ Colby (-1.5)
7:00 Bowdoin @ Tufts (-2.5)
Cooking with whatever the opposite of gas is tonight. This is why I only gamble with made up FanLax currency :D
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Bowdoin is the last team to get in from the NESCAC if Tufts win the tournament if they even get in. The order as I see it is Tufts, Wes, Amherst, and then Bowdoin. If Williams, Trinity, or Hamilton win the tournament, they have no shot. Amherst has much more quality wins beating both RPI and Swathmore. The only quality win for Bowdoin this year is Amherst. While you could argue that Middlebury and Williams are quality wins, I don't see the committee viewing it like that. On too the NESCAC tournament. Should be an exciting one for sure.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”