NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
choochooCharlie

Re: NESCAC

Post by choochooCharlie »

NNELax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:12 pm Daly resigns at Brown...Does he head back to D3? NESCAC?
Without a doubt, and conveniently the Middlebury, Tufts, and Amherst seats are just warming up. Or maybe a move to the South. Now that WAC took down Gettysburg there are signs of life for that staff, which leaves W&L. McCabe getting to the end, and hearing Mendoza has fallen out of favor. That might be just what is needed for all these teams. A fresh set of eyes.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

brainbox9 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:09 pm
fortheloveoftheCAC wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:59 pm
CoachDgoBos! wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:28 am Ah, another day another penny stock that made it big.

Does anyone have any opinions on the spreads on this weekend's games?

Conn guys you can sit this one out, you don't know anything about the stock market or lacrosse.
Wes vs. Hamilton +3.5
The Cards top the "Cardiac Conts" by 4 (18-14) in the Bird Cage. Hamilton figures out how to beat the Wesleyan zone and Fried saves 60-65%. Giancola has 4G, 1A, Burns breaks out for 6G, 0A and DJ Dixon has an off day with 1G, 1A. Delinsky and Pearl ride the high from last weekend and combine for 12+ points. Ultimately, Wes outpaces the Conts and stretches their 2 goal lead going into the 4th to a 4 goal lead in the last 6 minutes.

Bowdoin vs. Middlebury +3.5
Another close one, but I have Bowdoin edging the Panthers 15-11 on the grass. Midd defense is tighter than last time with the addition of Luke Simpson, but Bowdoin's offense carries their momentum from last weekend. Byrne shines, Bowdoin has six players with multiple points. Hobbs and Barnard are each 60%+. Thorndike only lights the lamp once, and Middlebury has a balanced scoring effort with no player having more than 3 points. Kern saves ~50%--a considerable improvement from March 9th. Bowdoin outgrits Midd and survives to Sunday.

This is all assuming the pro-Palestine encampment doesn't migrate to Jackson Field before Saturday.

Oh yeah, and D'Annolfo finally finds that beautiful 5'10" blonde that he's been looking for for the past two decades--she saw his Brown and Blue Jordan 3's on Twitter.

I'll take Wes -3.5 and Bowdoin -3.5. Not sure how you came up with these lines, but I think we give the favorites a little more here based on how Wes is steamrolling opps right now, and Bowdoin's dominance against the middle-tier of the NESCAC so far this season. I also think a heightened playoff environment gives the Polar Bears a bit of an edge that they'll need to put the Panthers away early; not sure they had that flare vs those early OOC losses.

To my Wesleyan point, their offense is just fantastic. The midfield puts the ball in the net and the attack distributes super well. I think they play too much of a well-balanced type of game (Sort of a Tufts contrarian play style) that is no bueno for Hamilton matchup-wise, who were able to slow the pace against Tufts. That won't work here. Hamilton can go on a few runs, but by the middle of the third I think it's a 6 goal game already, and the conts will be otw home with their chins up after a solid couple performances.

Looking forward to the games, but here are my adjusted lines:

Wes -5.5 , Bowdoin -4.5
I like Wes over Hamilton, Bowdoin over Midd, and Wesleyan winning on Sunday
choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:42 pm
NNELax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:12 pm Daly resigns at Brown...Does he head back to D3? NESCAC?
Without a doubt, and conveniently the Middlebury, Tufts, and Amherst seats are just warming up. Or maybe a move to the South. Now that WAC took down Gettysburg there are signs of life for that staff, which leaves W&L. McCabe getting to the end, and hearing Mendoza has fallen out of favor. That might be just what is needed for all these teams. A fresh set of eyes.
I could see the move to Middlebury.
Tufts and Amherst's seats are not warming up...
TucoBPJMRamirez

Post by TucoBPJMRamirez »

SaltCounty wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:53 pm I could see the move to Middlebury.
None of those administrations care a whit about the on-field success of the men's lacrosse teams.
choochooCharlie

TucoBPJMRamirez wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:16 pm
None of those administrations care a whit about the on-field success of the men's lacrosse teams.
Categorically false. The Athletic Director at Middlebury was the men’s lacrosse head coach for 15 years and 3 championships. He is a Middlebury student athlete alumn. I’d say that particular administrator cares about it quite a bit.

One could however argue that whoever sets up the Middlebury men’s schedule is the one who doesn’t “care a whit about the on-field success of the men’s lacrosse team,” but that is actually the head coach.

In my time at Bates, we knew when we had the admin’s support, and we knew when we didn’t. I would 100% rather have admin care about my on field experience, and the coach on a hot seat, than the coach facing no pressure to succeed, and the admin “not giving a whit” about the team. Either way, the complacency is showing.

I feel like someone predicted this way back in January… hmmm. Who was that now…. It doesn’t matter, but let’s call him NEStradamus….
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

A lot of people predicted that Tufts would have a down year and while the loss to Hamilton was not ideal, they were still very successful. They beat a lot of really good teams and given the amount of talent that they lost last year, I think they far exceeded expectation for this upcoming season. They have a very young team with only 1 senior starting and half their team regular players being freshman and sophomores. What that team is lacking right now is leadership. They came out flat against Hamilton like they did with Williams and they lost. It happens all the time. If any of you follow D1, Duke got spanked by UNC on Sat. Similar situation except not the conference tournament. Given that most if not all their talent is returning next year, it seems like they got a lot of talent coming in with the kids from Landon and Nobles who are top ranked D3 recruits, this team has a bright future. In addition, there season is not over yet. Who knows, they could still win the whole dam thing. That is why we play the game. They have two week now to get some rest and get their act together. This loss could end up being the best thing that happens to them. Lets see how they do in the tournament but a great year from young great team. Lots to look forward to in Jumboland.
choochooCharlie

Look, success is relative. My Bobcats would’ve achieved success with a conference win. My Captains would achieve success with a win over Salisbury. Tufts has a great program that also has, for better or worse, adopted a “big shot” culture. A first round conference tournament bounce by the last team in, won’t be viewed as success for them. Not by the team. Not by the staff. Not by the fans. And not by the haters. And that’s because it isn’t a success, not relative to their great past performances, and not relative to the way they choose to carry themselves.

They’re eating crow and licking wounds right now, and rightfully so. Any spin that the year to date is a success is outrageous to suggest. It was a let down. What happens in the future remains to be seen.
LIlax516

Post by LIlax516 »

Camels close out a disappointing season squeaking one by Coast Guard final score 10-7. Lot of preseason hype for Conn but they never figured it out. Defense was supposed to be the backbone of this team yet they were the worst in the conference. Maybe that had something to do with having to play a ton of it because the offense was so inept and took bad shots early in possessions. They lose the goalie and a few midfielders but the majority of this team is back next season. Hopefully Nagle can right the ship and get these kids playing winning ball soon.

Couple of bright spots this season though were the EMO (they had 2 awesome trick plays that fooled even the commentators) and seems to me they have a stud on defense #28, only a freshman.

Looking forward to being on site this weekend in Middletown for the semis and final! Wesleyan over Bowdoin in the finals my prediction!
Chipzhoo

Post by Chipzhoo »

choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:27 pm
Categorically false. The Athletic Director at Middlebury was the men’s lacrosse head coach for 15 years and 3 championships. He is a Middlebury student athlete alumn. I’d say that particular administrator cares about it quite a bit.

One could however argue that whoever sets up the Middlebury men’s schedule is the one who doesn’t “care a whit about the on-field success of the men’s lacrosse team,” but that is actually the head coach.

In my time at Bates, we knew when we had the admin’s support, and we knew when we didn’t. I would 100% rather have admin care about my on field experience, and the coach on a hot seat, than the coach facing no pressure to succeed, and the admin “not giving a whit” about the team. Either way, the complacency is showing.

I feel like someone predicted this way back in January… hmmm. Who was that now…. It doesn’t matter, but let’s call him NEStradamus….
Clown post.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

I could see a Daly move to Midd (if it were to ever open) because Coaches Daly & Quinn have a positive relationship.
I believe in one of the story's written about Coach Daly, he credits Coach Quinn as someone who was supportive/helpful in his first few years.

I don't even see Coach D leaving Tufts, nor Tufts sending him off (unless something unfortunate were to happen).
They'll always be in position to be really good.

Coach Woods may miss the NCAA tournament this year, but has some great wins and is doing a lot off the field at Amherst that's positive.
I don't think there's anything in his first 3 seasons that warrants a warm seat
ah23

Post by ah23 »

I’ve always had a hard time taking any “_____ is on the hot seat!!” comments seriously. Where is the evidence that any of these schools will fire a coach for performance reasons, let alone schools with successful programs? This isn’t the NFL.
Laxcity1432

Post by Laxcity1432 »

That time of year, thoughts?

POY: Will Byrne (Bowdoin)
CO-ROY: Joe Hurton (Wesleyan) & Brendan Reilly (Amherst)
COY: John Raba (Wesleyan)

1st Team All NESCAC:
A - Will Byrne (Bowdoin)
A - Jack Raba (Wesleyan)
A - Jack Regnery (Tufts)
A - Bob Gross (Amherst)
M - CK Giancola (Wesleyan)
M - Charlie Tagliaferri (Tufts)
M - DJ Dixon (Wesleyan)
FO - Ethan Barnard (Bowdoin)
LSM - Joe Hurton (Wesleyan)
SSDM - Zach Goorno (Bowdoin)
D - Joey Waldbaum (Tufts)
D - Thompson Lau (Amherst)
D - John Cowdrick (Trinity)
G - Jack Fried (Hamilton)

2nd Team All NESCAC
A - Ben Burns (Wesleyan)
A - Calvin Caputo (Williams)
A - Jason Lach (Bowdoin)
A - Brooks Hauser (Tufts)
A/M - Russell Thorndike (Middlebury)
M - Patrick Jamin (Middlebury)
M - Oliver Bernstein (Bowdoin)
M - James Bailey (Wesleyan)
M - Tom Conley (Middlebury)
FO - Nicholas Kopp (Amherst)
LSM - Henry Tarr (Middlebury)
SSDM - Charlie Hoban (Wesleyan)
D - Emmett Schillinger (Wesleyan)
D - Patrick Gaul (Williams)
D - Benjamin Konder (Bates)
G - Robert Hobbs (Bowdoin)
jumpman23

Post by jumpman23 »

ah23 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:28 pm I’ve always had a hard time taking any “_____ is on the hot seat!!” comments seriously. Where is the evidence that any of these schools will fire a coach for performance reasons, let alone schools with successful programs? This isn’t the NFL.
Maybe the real question is could/would any current NESCAC coaches be able to be in the running for/want to leave for the Brown job?
TucoBPJMRamirez

Post by TucoBPJMRamirez »

ah23 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:28 pm I’ve always had a hard time taking any “_____ is on the hot seat!!” comments seriously. Where is the evidence that any of these schools will fire a coach for performance reasons, let alone schools with successful programs? This isn’t the NFL.
Bingo.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

jumpman23 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:10 pm
Maybe the real question is could/would any current NESCAC coaches be able to be in the running for/want to leave for the Brown job?
I was thinking about this last night....I'm sure there's a few who would be curious about the opportunity.

That said, I don't think Brown wants to go with another NESCAC call up....or any D3 call up for that matter....after the Daly era. Not saying Daly was a bad hire. I'm absolutely not going down that road, but I can see why the powers that be at Brown would want to make a hire from the D1 world this time around.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Agree with that. I’d be surprised if a D-III coach is who they go with - are there any young(ish), really successful coaches who fit the profile to make a jump? The best NESCAC candidate would be D’Annolfo, but…if the Tufts guy with three rings didn’t work out for Brown, can’t see them following that up by hiring the Tufts guy who hasn’t won one yet.
choochooCharlie

SaltCounty wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:17 am

I could see a Daly move to Midd (if it were to ever open) because Coaches Daly & Quinn have a positive relationship.
I believe in one of the story's written about Coach Daly, he credits Coach Quinn as someone who was supportive/helpful in his first few years.

I don't even see Coach D leaving Tufts, nor Tufts sending him off (unless something unfortunate were to happen).
They'll always be in position to be really good.

Coach Woods may miss the NCAA tournament this year, but has some great wins and is doing a lot off the field at Amherst that's positive.
I don't think there's anything in his first 3 seasons that warrants a warm seat
Daly and Quinn are quite close. Yea, maybe you’re right about Amherst and Tufts. Seasons fell well short of expectations, but not quite there yet.

Daly would be a great fit at Middlebury. Fresh set of eyes, mix up the schedule a bit, let the kids play. Someone could really take that program places, enough of the pieces are there, just needs some effort.
Nescac12001

Post by Nescac12001 »

Laxcity1432 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:08 pm That time of year, thoughts?

1st Team All NESCAC:
A - Will Byrne (Bowdoin)
A - Jack Raba (Wesleyan)
A - Jack Regnery (Tufts)
A - Bob Gross (Amherst)
M - DJ Dixon (Wesleyan)

2nd Team All NESCAC
A - Ben Burns (Wesleyan)
A - Jason Lach (Bowdoin)
Switch Bob Gross and Jason Lach. Lach is clearly much more on an impact than Gross. Gross riding in the coattails of a good freshman season
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

1st Team All NESCAC:
A - Will Byrne (Bowdoin)
A - Jack Raba (Wesleyan)
A - Jack Regnery (Tufts)
A - Bob Gross (Amherst)
M - DJ Dixon (Wesleyan)

2nd Team All NESCAC
A - Ben Burns (Wesleyan)
A - Jason Lach (Bowdoin)
If I’m not mistaken I believe we find out tomorrow?
Laxwizard

Post by Laxwizard »

callaxdad wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:29 pm

1st Team All NESCAC:
A - Will Byrne (Bowdoin)
A - Jack Raba (Wesleyan)
A - Jack Regnery (Tufts)
A - Bob Gross (Amherst)
M - DJ Dixon (Wesleyan)

2nd Team All NESCAC
A - Ben Burns (Wesleyan)
A - Jason Lach (Bowdoin)
If I’m not mistaken I believe we find out tomorrow?
https://nescac.com/news/2024/5/2/nescac ... eiled.aspx

Conn and Colby shut out. Better luck next year.....
Gqlaxer27

Post by Gqlaxer27 »

JACK FRIED FOR TEWAARTON

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”