NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ah23

Re: NESCAC

Post by ah23 »

dannyric wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:51 pm I'm curious about the state of the Jumbos locker room. The team has lots of talent, but doesn't seem to have the heart or mentality of prior teams. They've had so many close NESCAC games, including against Colby who they really should have smashed given their record. Losing to Hamilton in the conference quarterfinals at home might break their resolve. I could see them losing early in the NCAA tournament (2nd round?). Perhaps they just want to move on to their summer internships on wall street and come back next year. I hope I'm wrong because I think Tufts going deep in May is good for the conference overall.
They seem like a more volatile version of their 2018/19 teams, who played a ton of close games (and won almost all of them) but ultimately had flaws that let them down in the postseason against other NESCAC teams. Shorter version...2024 Tufts is back to being "just" a very good/great team instead of a complete juggernaut. Lots of talent, capable of making good opponents look like HS teams (e.g., Union/CNU), but also can be top heavy and prone to clunky offensive stretches that get them in trouble. Early in the season someone predicted that they would get better throughout the season because of how young they were, which was a pretty solid prediction given...basic logic about player/team development. Feels like that hasn't really happened, which is surprising.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:49 pm Lots of arguing over cockiness, class, announcers, will they even make the tournament now etc. callaxdad, aka ah23, has been pretty quiet recently. #RollBos

The real pressing questions are; what sneakers will Coach D wear to watch the rest of the conference tournament, and more importantly, will he post them online still?
😂
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

ah23 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:38 pm
dannyric wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:51 pm I'm curious about the state of the Jumbos locker room. The team has lots of talent, but doesn't seem to have the heart or mentality of prior teams. They've had so many close NESCAC games, including against Colby who they really should have smashed given their record. Losing to Hamilton in the conference quarterfinals at home might break their resolve. I could see them losing early in the NCAA tournament (2nd round?). Perhaps they just want to move on to their summer internships on wall street and come back next year. I hope I'm wrong because I think Tufts going deep in May is good for the conference overall.
They seem like a more volatile version of their 2018/19 teams, who played a ton of close games (and won almost all of them) but ultimately had flaws that let them down in the postseason against other NESCAC teams. Shorter version...2024 Tufts is back to being "just" a very good/great team instead of a complete juggernaut. Lots of talent, capable of making good opponents look like HS teams (e.g., Union/CNU), but also can be top heavy and prone to clunky offensive stretches that get them in trouble. Early in the season someone predicted that they would get better throughout the season because of how young they were, which was a pretty solid prediction given...basic logic about player/team development. Feels like that hasn't really happened, which is surprising.
Quality coaching and player talent goes a long way come NCAA tournament time. Pretty sure North will come down to RIT and Tufts in the end, depending on how the set the brackets.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

Tufts is very likely the only NCAA tournament team not playing a game this week....it's a certainty, I think. (Okay, maybe Amherst sneaks into pool C, but I'm not betting on it)

That means they'll have the freshest legs in the nation come tournament time.

Obviously, every guy on that roster and every coach on that staff would rather be prepping for this weekend than getting their legs back under them; but after a long, physical season of highly competitive lacrosse; the value of having this week to get healthy, get fresh and get ready for an NCAA run cannot be understated.
LongPoleGuy

Post by LongPoleGuy »

I will take the other side of that. Now the Bos are sitting around for 2 weeks waiting to play in a tournament they know they won’t go far in. All their buddies are starting to come home from school…it’s gonna get tough to keep their heads in it. By the second week in May they will all just want to go home and start their summers.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:09 pm
That means they'll have the freshest legs in the nation come tournament time.
Yea I mean sure they'll have the freshest legs BUT to be in the nescac finals it would have set them up better to be able to cruise into the semis in NCAA's. Chances are they're going to have to work for it in ncaa's versus having a few turd teams to play early on if they had won. Double edged sword there
JumboDeano20

Post by JumboDeano20 »

I think the expectations of the program at Tufts have created this feeling that if you don't win every game, that something is somehow wrong or broken or that these guys don't think they can win at the highest level. That's not true. They've lost three games this year. Out of 16. They're going to be the first Pool C off the board. Do they want to win every game, of course, and are they disappointed when they don't. Also, of course. But no one has mailed anything in.

I still think that this team is figuring out a lot of things. They played 6 first-years extensively on Saturday...its a new experience going from regular season to postseason. Other than Regnery, Kelly and Hauser didn't play nearly at all last year. Beyer got a ton of run on Saturday, and he's still rounding into form. Ayers being out as forced Lee to play more, and Lee is going to be a good one. Ben Clarke has been a solid transfer addition. These guys weren't here last year in these spots.

I will tell you this though, the coaches and players are 100 percent committed. Obviously the troll posters will troll, which is whatever, but its a great group of guys still looking for their best form of the season. I expect it to come in the next few weeks.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

JumboDeano20 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:30 pm
I think the expectations of the program at Tufts have created this feeling that if you don't win every game, that something is somehow wrong or broken or that these guys don't think they can win at the highest level. That's not true. They've lost three games this year. Out of 16. They're going to be the first Pool C off the board. Do they want to win every game, of course, and are they disappointed when they don't. Also, of course. But no one has mailed anything in.

I still think that this team is figuring out a lot of things. They played 6 first-years extensively on Saturday...its a new experience going from regular season to postseason. Other than Regnery, Kelly and Hauser didn't play nearly at all last year. Beyer got a ton of run on Saturday, and he's still rounding into form. Ayers being out as forced Lee to play more, and Lee is going to be a good one. Ben Clarke has been a solid transfer addition. These guys weren't here last year in these spots.

I will tell you this though, the coaches and players are 100 percent committed. Obviously the troll posters will troll, which is whatever, but its a great group of guys still looking for their best form of the season. I expect it to come in the next few weeks.
My dude, they got eliminated from the conference tournament. In the first round. By the last team in.

Anyways, how would YOU know if the coaches and players are 100 percent committed. :shock: Casey? Is that you? If you can hear me, if you can read this, it’s the airmax 95s. It was always the airmax 95s.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Motorman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:50 pm Quality coaching and player talent goes a long way come NCAA tournament time. Pretty sure North will come down to RIT and Tufts in the end, depending on how the set the brackets.
Agreed, though I think RIT will be a heavy favorite no matter who they face in the northern half of the bracket. I'm sure Tufts would love a rematch, but...as a fan it's always fun to see new matchups and have new teams make runs. I obviously love D-III lacrosse, but the lack of parity at the top is and has always been frustrating.
LongPoleGuy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:45 pm Now the Bos are sitting around for 2 weeks waiting to play in a tournament they know they won’t go far in.
I'd be surprised if anyone at any top program thinks that way. Kind of feel the same way about the second tier (and beyond). There are two teams with pretty unassailable resumes: Salisbury and RIT. Every other team has put 60 subpar minutes on tape at some point in the season in a loss; some have done it multiple times. If Tufts' resume = "pack it in, we have no chance", then almost every team in the country should go on vacation next week and the tournament should be a four-team playoff like the (old) CFP.
JumboDeano20 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:30 pm I think the expectations of the program at Tufts have created this feeling that if you don't win every game, that something is somehow wrong or broken or that these guys don't think they can win at the highest level.
This might even undersell it! The (external) narrative here is always "anything less than a title = bunch of fraud losers". Think it's fair to say that they've still a threat to make a run in the north while also acknowledging that this is the least likely it's felt since before the pandemic.
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

Motorman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:50 pm
Quality coaching and player talent goes a long way come NCAA tournament time. Pretty sure North will come down to RIT and Tufts in the end, depending on how the set the brackets.
My sense is if Tufts makes it out of NESCAC unscathed and RIT holds serve, Jumbos sent south for eventual matchup with Salisbury. They certainly could make it to Memorial Day, but the matchup with RIT would be there, assuming Tigers also win out.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Tigerlax70 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:37 pm
Motorman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:50 pm
My sense is if Tufts makes it out of NESCAC unscathed and RIT holds serve, Jumbos sent south for eventual matchup with Salisbury. They certainly could make it to Memorial Day, but the matchup with RIT would be there, assuming Tigers also win out.
Uh, Tufts is already scathed.
fortheloveoftheCAC

Post by fortheloveoftheCAC »

https://www.tuftsdaily.com/article/2005 ... y-dannolfo

Talk about culture. The body follows the head.
cheesyCacLover420

Post by cheesyCacLover420 »

fortheloveoftheCAC wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:37 pm https://www.tuftsdaily.com/article/2005 ... y-dannolfo

Talk about culture. The body follows the head.
I think part of the problem for the Bo’s has been that D’annoflo hasn’t instituted the kind of swagger he played with. Sure they play fast and talk a lot of trash, but they don’t play with that kind of 6’4” swagger that brought them so much success. If the boys of the Bo’s pulled as much D’annoflo did back in the day you gotta think they’d have at least two nattys under him.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

Hard to have that swagger when Coach Shoe has his kids on the sideline.
CoachDgoBos!

Post by CoachDgoBos! »

Ah, another day another penny stock that made it big.

Does anyone have any opinions on the spreads on this weekend's games?

Conn guys you can sit this one out, you don't know anything about the stock market or lacrosse.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

CoachDgoBos! wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:28 am Ah, another day another penny stock that made it big.

Conn guys you can sit this one out, you don't know anything about the stock market or lacrosse.
Well, in all fairness, neither Conn or Tufts advanced in the NESCAC tournament...but your posts sound like the ravings of a scorned lover
brainbox9

Post by brainbox9 »

Heard the Wes boys are sleeping in tents the night before the game in solidarity with Palestine. What a great group of kids. Raba is a lucky coach!
fortheloveoftheCAC

Post by fortheloveoftheCAC »

CoachDgoBos! wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:28 am Ah, another day another penny stock that made it big.

Wes vs. Hamilton +3.5
The Cards top the "Cardiac Conts" by 4 (18-14) in the Bird Cage. Hamilton figures out how to beat the Wesleyan zone and Fried saves 60-65%. Giancola has 4G, 1A, Burns breaks out for 6G, 0A and DJ Dixon has an off day with 1G, 1A. Delinsky and Pearl ride the high from last weekend and combine for 12+ points. Ultimately, Wes outpaces the Conts and stretches their 2 goal lead going into the 4th to a 4 goal lead in the last 6 minutes.

Bowdoin vs. Middlebury +3.5
Another close one, but I have Bowdoin edging the Panthers 15-11 on the grass. Midd defense is tighter than last time with the addition of Luke Simpson, but Bowdoin's offense carries their momentum from last weekend. Byrne shines, Bowdoin has six players with multiple points. Hobbs and Barnard are each 60%+. Thorndike only lights the lamp once, and Middlebury has a balanced scoring effort with no player having more than 3 points. Kern saves ~50%--a considerable improvement from March 9th. Bowdoin outgrits Midd and survives to Sunday.

This is all assuming the pro-Palestine encampment doesn't migrate to Jackson Field before Saturday.

Oh yeah, and D'Annolfo finally finds that beautiful 5'10" blonde that he's been looking for for the past two decades--she saw his Brown and Blue Jordan 3's on Twitter.
brainbox9

Post by brainbox9 »

fortheloveoftheCAC wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:59 pm

Wes vs. Hamilton +3.5
The Cards top the "Cardiac Conts" by 4 (18-14) in the Bird Cage. Hamilton figures out how to beat the Wesleyan zone and Fried saves 60-65%. Giancola has 4G, 1A, Burns breaks out for 6G, 0A and DJ Dixon has an off day with 1G, 1A. Delinsky and Pearl ride the high from last weekend and combine for 12+ points. Ultimately, Wes outpaces the Conts and stretches their 2 goal lead going into the 4th to a 4 goal lead in the last 6 minutes.

Bowdoin vs. Middlebury +3.5
Another close one, but I have Bowdoin edging the Panthers 15-11 on the grass. Midd defense is tighter than last time with the addition of Luke Simpson, but Bowdoin's offense carries their momentum from last weekend. Byrne shines, Bowdoin has six players with multiple points. Hobbs and Barnard are each 60%+. Thorndike only lights the lamp once, and Middlebury has a balanced scoring effort with no player having more than 3 points. Kern saves ~50%--a considerable improvement from March 9th. Bowdoin outgrits Midd and survives to Sunday.

This is all assuming the pro-Palestine encampment doesn't migrate to Jackson Field before Saturday.

Oh yeah, and D'Annolfo finally finds that beautiful 5'10" blonde that he's been looking for for the past two decades--she saw his Brown and Blue Jordan 3's on Twitter.

I'll take Wes -3.5 and Bowdoin -3.5. Not sure how you came up with these lines, but I think we give the favorites a little more here based on how Wes is steamrolling opps right now, and Bowdoin's dominance against the middle-tier of the NESCAC so far this season. I also think a heightened playoff environment gives the Polar Bears a bit of an edge that they'll need to put the Panthers away early; not sure they had that flare vs those early OOC losses.

To my Wesleyan point, their offense is just fantastic. The midfield puts the ball in the net and the attack distributes super well. I think they play too much of a well-balanced type of game (Sort of a Tufts contrarian play style) that is no bueno for Hamilton matchup-wise, who were able to slow the pace against Tufts. That won't work here. Hamilton can go on a few runs, but by the middle of the third I think it's a 6 goal game already, and the conts will be otw home with their chins up after a solid couple performances.

Looking forward to the games, but here are my adjusted lines:

Wes -5.5 , Bowdoin -4.5
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Daly resigns at Brown...Does he head back to D3? NESCAC?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”