Lacrosse Analytics

D1 Mens Lacrosse
lilax

Re: Lacrosse Analytics

Post by lilax »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:04 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:53 pm
coda wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:58 am
whaley wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:12 am the request above to look at FOs that result in possessions. I thought a FO win required possession? Now perhaps one wants to consider possession in the offensive end....but whoever won the FO has possession BY DEFINITION. No?
To clarify, I meant that result in an offensive possession. If you dont win the clear, you have not won anything. I believe Donowski said something to the effect of "The faceoff is 3 parts, the clamp, GB, and the clear. You only need to win the last one"

Faceoff win percentage in its current form is a bit misleading or incomplete. Its better as an individual stat, but it does not tell you what you really want to know.
Yes Hobart has been king of FO win then lose the all as wings get outflanked for years. And Coach R is a former LSM himself
Most overlooked coaching/strategy in the game. Frustrates me to no end when players just go out there, get smoked off the wing, drop in on defense while their guy snags an easy gb, ego driven F/O guys refusing to tie the guy up, having their first step off the wing done correctly, etc.
I met one of the better faceoff guys in the PLL a couple years ago.

He said it's very obvious which teams emphasize film and practice of group faceoff work and which teams don't.

He pointed out that one of the reasons UVA was so dominant with LaSalla was because of how good the UVA wing play was. They were so in sync that they knew not just where Petey was winning it, but also where their opponents liked to put the ball. Guys like Conrad and Connors would routinely run to places where their opponent wanted to win the ball. He said it probably added 5%-8% of LaSalla's win percentage.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

lilax wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:47 pm
whaley wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:12 am the request above to look at FOs that result in possessions. I thought a FO win required possession? Now perhaps one wants to consider possession in the offensive end....but whoever won the FO has possession BY DEFINITION. No?
To clarify, I meant that result in an offensive possession. If you dont win the clear, you have not won anything. I believe Donowski said something to the effect of "The faceoff is 3 parts, the clamp, GB, and the clear. You only need to win the last one"

Faceoff win percentage in its current form is a bit misleading or incomplete. Its better as an individual stat, but it does not tell you what you really want to know.
Yes Hobart has been king of FO win then lose the all as wings get outflanked for years. And Coach R is a former LSM himself
Most overlooked coaching/strategy in the game. Frustrates me to no end when players just go out there, get smoked off the wing, drop in on defense while their guy snags an easy gb, ego driven F/O guys refusing to tie the guy up, having their first step off the wing done correctly, etc.
I met one of the better faceoff guys in the PLL a couple years ago.

He said it's very obvious which teams emphasize film and practice of group faceoff work and which teams don't.

He pointed out that one of the reasons UVA was so dominant with LaSalla was because of how good the UVA wing play was. They were so in sync that they knew not just where Petey was winning it, but also where their opponents liked to put the ball. Guys like Conrad and Connors would routinely run to places where their opponent wanted to win the ball. He said it probably added 5%-8% of LaSalla's win percentage.
No doubt about it. Terps, very similar thing in 17' with Chris Mattes sharpening the iron in that ncaa playoff run vs Denver and then OSU when Henningsen was injured and Garino had to come in.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

coda wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:54 pm

One of my favorite strategies vs a top end FOGO is the 10 man ride. You need to have an athletic FOGO or LSM on the X, cant let him win forward. Like all 10 man's, the key is knowing when to drop out. I watched it work this year and it is a thing of beauty. Lot of FOGOs are not ready for that kind of pressure.
Great idea...but you are right, your team better be dialed in on when to break if off. A loose ball heading down the gut is a dangerous thing.

We had a term/design we liked to use against good F/O players...."called it guillotine", we'd send out our 3 meanest poles for the faceoff and drop back our two best SSDM's on defense. It often put the fear of god in the opponents F/O man knowing 3 poles were crashing down on him. Had a good deal of success with it and very rarely was it won out the front door.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
coda

Post by coda »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:20 pm

One of my favorite strategies vs a top end FOGO is the 10 man ride. You need to have an athletic FOGO or LSM on the X, cant let him win forward. Like all 10 man's, the key is knowing when to drop out. I watched it work this year and it is a thing of beauty. Lot of FOGOs are not ready for that kind of pressure.
Great idea...but you are right, your team better be dialed in on when to break if off. A loose ball heading down the gut is a dangerous thing.

We had a term/design we liked to use against good F/O players...."called it guillotine", we'd send out our 3 meanest poles for the faceoff and drop back our two best SSDM's on defense. It often put the fear of god in the opponents F/O man knowing 3 poles were crashing down on him. Had a good deal of success with it and very rarely was it won out the front door.
You cant give up the forward release. That happens and it is off immediately. You can give your "fogo" a call. He yells "off" (or whatever), the wings retreat to the hole and everyone goes to normal. The whole premise is to make a non-ball handler responsible for the clear. Take away any easy outlets knowing the longer the ball is in the FOGO's stick the greater the odds of a turnover become. Plus it will wear him down, especially if you have a mean LSM beating the piss out of him while he runs around looking for someone to get open. The problem with 10 man rides are they take a lot of practice to do correctly and it is not the most exciting thing to practice.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

coda wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:35 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:20 pm

You cant give up the forward release. That happens and it is off immediately. You can give your "fogo" a call. He yells "off" (or whatever), the wings retreat to the hole and everyone goes to normal. The whole premise is to make a non-ball handler responsible for the clear. Take away any easy outlets knowing the longer the ball is in the FOGO's stick the greater the odds of a turnover become. Plus it will wear him down, especially if you have a mean LSM beating the tick out of him while he runs around looking for someone to get open. The problem with 10 man rides are they take a lot of practice to do correctly and it is not the most exciting thing to practice.
All very astute points.
~Livy
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I'd be interested is seeing how scoring has changed over time, given changes to rules, playing surfaces, training, stick technologies, growth of high school teams, et.al.

Does anyone know if the 'goals per game' (average for all teams) versus year has ever been published? Alternatively, if the raw data is available, I can create it myself.

I can get the current year from 'stats' on NCAA.com. If prior years are available on NCAA.com (not a user friendly site), they probably don't go back prior to NCAA sanctioning lacrosse, circa 1971. I wasn't able to find anything on USILA either.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

I see where the stats go back to http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/ran ... rtCode=MLA

NCAA>>lacrosse>>stats(scroll down to bottom)>>archived National stats>>pull down year you want
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Dip&Dunk: Thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, that page only goes back to 2001 (unless I'm missing something). I'm hoping to at least get back to era of wooden sticks, freshman teams, natural grass fields, pre-LSM, etc.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

No dice on a single source comprehensive stats.

Although the above 22 years of data is pretty good, stats prior to ~2000 are very sketchy.

This link has team stats going back to 95-96, but you have to query team by team,
https://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/careersearch

NCAA lacrosse records PDFs do track records going back to 1971, no pre-NCAA records.
https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2013/11/21/ ... stics.aspx

This wiki page does include certain pre-NCAA records,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divisio ... se_records

That’s the exhaustive list of lacrosse stats as far as I know.

At one point, I purchased a URL lacrosse-reference.com with the intent of tabulating all lacrosse stats, standard stats, players as far back as possible, similar to baseball-reference.com -
but it was way too much effort and not enough time.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:47 pm No dice on a single source comprehensive stats.

Although the above 22 years of data is pretty good, stats prior to ~2000 are very sketchy.

This link has team stats going back to 95-96, but you have to query team by team,

NCAA lacrosse records PDF does track records going back to 1971, no pre-NCAA records.

At one point, I purchased a URL lacrosse-reference.com with the intent of tabulating all lacrosse stats, standard stats, players as far back as possible, similar to baseball-reference.com -
10stone5: thanks for your time and effort. It looks like my curiosity won’t be sated
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:47 pm No dice on a single source comprehensive stats.

NCAA lacrosse records PDFs do track records going back to 1971, no pre-NCAA records.
https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2013/11/21/ ... stics.aspx

You go through those stats and you see what might have been the greatest attack unit there never was. And never because of Ivy freshman rules prior to '76. Jim Trenz was the Ivy player of the year in '74 as the stats show. Add in Mike French as a sophomore. Missing, a freshman named Eamon McEneany.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

joatmon wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:47 am Dip&Dunk: Thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, that page only goes back to 2001 (unless I'm missing something). I'm hoping to at least get back to era of wooden sticks, freshman teams, natural grass fields, pre-LSM, etc.
when did lsm's come into play, if you know? 70s or earlier?
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:35 pm
joatmon wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:47 am Dip&Dunk: Thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, that page only goes back to 2001 (unless I'm missing something). I'm hoping to at least get back to era of wooden sticks, freshman teams, natural grass fields, pre-LSM, etc.
Actually more like early 80s when it became common
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

mdk01 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:24 pm
my h.s. had lsm's before then. and 3 of them. and army was riding with 9 longsticks in early 80s. it had to have started before then. i just wasn't around to know the history.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:55 pm
mdk01 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:24 pm
my h.s. had lsm's before then. and 3 of them. and army was riding with 9 longsticks in early 80s. it had to have started before then. i just wasn't around to know the history.
My memory is shot at this point, but we never used LSMs in HS (1982 grad), and in my freshman year in college (83), we tried a 9 man pole ride a few times, but we didn't have enough good poles. I believe the following year, NCAA limited it to 5 poles on the field. I was in the Marines and then law school after college so was quite surprised that only 4 poles allowed and only 20 seconds to clear when I returned to watching and coaching the game.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

This was originally published in the Sep 21st edition of Expected Goals, my daily newsletter. If you want 5-10 minutes of team and player analysis in your inbox every morning, sign up here.

The Penn Quakers defensive unit has shown a remarkable performance in the 2023 season. The Quakers defense stood tall, ranking 11th nationally after adjusting for the strength of the opposing offenses, landing them in the 78th percentile. (Their raw numbers may not look as impressive, as their efficiency was perfectly average - 50th percentile - if you don't adjust for the strength of their opponents.) The standout skill for the Penn defense was their on-goal shooting percentage, which ranked in the 90th percentile nationally, thereby restricting their opponents to an on-goal shooting percentage of 41.8%. On-goal shooting percentage is goals divided by shots-on-cage, so it is focused on high-leverage situations that are either goals or saves. Their shooting efficiency allowed, which is a better version of shooting percentage, also ended up in the 90th percentile.

Their season had its peaks and valleys. A notable 4-game stretch from March 4 to March 18 marked their best defensive performance, with an adjusted defensive efficiency of 22%, which is the equivalent of a top-5 defenses if extrapolated out over a full season. During this period, they bested Saint Joseph's and Princeton, and fell to Penn State and Villanova. Given the strong defensive play, it's reasonable to put those 2 losses on the other units. In contrast, the worst stretch took place between March 26 and April 15 with an adjusted defensive efficiency of 33% (equivalent to the 60th ranked defense). They still managed victories against Yale and Harvard, yet suffered defeats at the hands of Cornell and Brown. The differences in these periods were stark. The on-goal shooting percentage allowed increased from a solid 40% during the good stretch to a not-so-good 51% during their worst.

When we zoom out and look at the 12 games they played against conference opponents or similarly ranked LaxElo teams, the picture gets clarified a bit. In the 8 games where the opposing offense had a shot-on-goal rate of over 64.2%, Penn's record was 3-5. Conversely, with a shot-on-goal rate of less than 64.2%, Penn went 3-1. It suggests that Penn's defense was markedly more successful when the opposing team had fewer shots reaching the goal. I always equate a higher shot-on-goal rate with an offense that is comfortable. The metric cited above, on-goal shooting percentage, can be the result of a goalie not seeing the ball and not making saves OR a defense that is giving up higher quality shots. When we see that shot-on-goal rate is the more important split, that suggests that when they struggled, it was more about the defense allowing a higher quality shot, on average.

Taking it a slightly different direction, the duration of opposing possessions also played a significant role in the Quakers' defensive outcomes. Their best performances were observed in possessions lasting 40-59 seconds, where they allowed goals on only 28.2% of possessions, 4.9 percentage points better than the average. Meanwhile, quick possessions of 0-19 seconds proved challenging, with goals allowed on 29.4% of possessions, 4.2 percentage points worse than the average. This indicates that the Quakers defense was more vulnerable early in the shot clock and transition defense is the biggest area for improvement. If they could get to the later stages of the possession, the defense was much much more effective.

While the Quakers struggled against teams with high shot-on-goal rates, their overall defensive strength was undeniable, as shown by the #17 final ranking. But as interesting as their defensive trends are, it seems like the play of the defense was more consistent than the offense and their play between the boxes.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

This was originally published in the Wed Sep 27, 2023 edition of Expected Goals, my daily newsletter. Get smarter about college lacrosse in 5 minutes per day. Sign up today.

The Orange defense, put together a commendable performance in 2023. Without adjusting for the strength of the opposing offenses, Syracuse's defense stood strong in various statistical measures. They ranked highly in shooting percentage (76th percentile), on-goal shooting percentage (80th percentile), and shooting-efficiency (77th percentile). However, they fell short in shot-on-goal rate (38th percentile), turnover rate (26th percentile), and shots allowed per possession (5th percentile).

After adjusting for the strength of the opposing offenses, the Orange defense looks much more solid. They excelled in opponent-adjusted shooting percentage (88th percentile), opponent-adjusted on-goal shooting percentage (90th percentile), and opponent-adjusted shooting-efficiency (92nd percentile). Their opponent-adjusted shot-on-goal rate (82nd percentile) and opponent-adjusted turnover rate (38th percentile) also look better than if we hadn't adjusted for how good the opposing offenses were. Granted, the turnover rate is still below average, but the shooting-based stats were all excellent. All in all, Syracuse finished with a ranking of 20th in the country for overall opponent-adjusted defensive performance.

Syracuse's defensive prowess was most evident in their best 4-game stretch from February 4 to February 18. They triumphed over Vermont, Albany, Holy Cross with a lone loss to Maryland, showcasing an impressive adjusted defensive efficiency of 19%, ranking in the 100th percentile. However, they grappled with challenges in their worst 4-game stretch when they went 2-2 from April 1 to April 22, and their adjusted defensive efficiency dipped to 30%, placing them in the 37th percentile. These disparities were largely attributed to fluctuating turnover rates and shooting percentages. Specifically, they only caused turnovers on a quarter of the possessions they faced during their worst stretch; when the defense was better, their opponents turned the ball over on 38% of their possessions. And these are adjusted numbers, so they account for the fact that the offenses were much weaker during their best stretch.

The defense’s performance also varied depending on the length of the opposing possessions. They were most effective in possessions that lasted 20-39 seconds, where they allowed goals only 24.7% of the time. However, in possessions that lasted between 40 and 59 seconds, they allowed goals on 41.3% of possessions, which is a whopping 8 percentage points worst than the average defense. This indicates a potential vulnerability in the defense that opposing teams could exploit by being patient and waiting for holes to open up in the defense.

Overall, the 2023 Syracuse defense had a strong 2023 campaign, with several areas of excellence and a few areas for improvement. This was not an elite defense, although their goaltending probably was close. But it was a much better unit than in 2022 and there were some real areas of strength.

This was originally published in the Wed Sep 27, 2023 edition of Expected Goals, my daily newsletter. Get smarter about college lacrosse in 5 minutes per day. Sign up today.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

This was originally published in the Sun Oct 01, 2023 edition of Expected Goals, my daily newsletter. If you want 5-10 minutes of team and player analysis in your inbox every morning, sign up here.

In the 2023 season, Evan Plunkett played an essential role in Army's performance with an impressive usage rate of 8.1% and a staggering 21.8% of the team's assists. Despite relatively modest overall individual effectiveness, with a 59th percentile individual player efficiency, Plunkett stood out with his strong assist rate and ball security.

That assist rate, which finished in the 82nd percentile, was the standout skill for Plunkett. You can think of assist-rate is akin to an assists-per-touch number, so it's clear that when he had the ball, creating offense for others was his primary objective. His contribution to the team's assists, nearly a quarter of them, reveals a player with a keen eye for opportunities and an exceptional ability to exploit them for his teammates.

Several players from past seasons present comparable careers to Plunkett's current trajectory (we found 15 close-enough stat lines), with Darian Cook's career being the most optimistic outlook. Cook, who played for Brown in 2019, had similar stats to Plunkett in terms of shooting efficiency and assist rates. His subsequent career saw him improve dramatically across all metrics, most notably in shooting efficiency and assist rate. Cook's career trajectory suggests that with the right development, Plunkett could potentially follow a similar path.

11 of the 15 players with Plunkett's profile improved their all-in productivity over their subsequent careers, which is a great sign for Plunkett and Army's future prospects. On average, those 11 players collectively improved their shooting efficiency from the 41st to the 59th percentile, ball security from the 52nd to the 61st percentile, and assist rate from the 59th to the 62nd percentile. Given his modest shooting numbers, and the fact that shooting efficiency was the largest improvement among the peer group, it seems critical that Plunkett develop that skill. Fortunately, there is precedent.

As for the future, if Plunkett can develop his shooting efficiency while maintaining his assist rate and ball security, he could become an even more valuable asset for Army. His role is likely to increase, and his ability to scale up his skills to a larger role will be critical. If he regresses, however, it could pose challenges for Army, given his current significant role in the team's offense. Plunkett's future performance will, undoubtedly, have considerable implications for Army's prospects in the forthcoming seasons.

This was originally published in the Sun Oct 01, 2023 edition of Expected Goals, my daily newsletter. If you want 5-10 minutes of team and player analysis in your inbox every morning, sign up here.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

This was originally published in the Sat Sep 23, 2023 edition of Expected Goals, my daily newsletter.

The analysis presented here covers the 2023 season, focusing specifically on the Maryland's performance against conference opponents and teams with similar LaxElo rankings. In these closely contested games, Maryland held a record of 6 wins and 4 losses, indicating a strong but not invincible team.

The play of Kyle Long appears to be a significant factor in the team's success. Maryland fared significantly better when Long had at least one assist, Maryland was 5-2 with victories against Penn State, Rutgers, Virginia, and Johns Hopkins, The two losses were against Michigan and Army. Their offensive efficiency was also higher at 33% in these games compared to 27% respectively when Long failed to hit this mark. Long's assist-to-turnover ratio also seemed to be significant. Maryland posted a 3-1 record when Long's ratio exceeded 0.25 (just one or more assists for every four turnovers), compared to a 1-2 record when it was below.

Maryland's overall assist rate appears to be another vital statistic, with Maryland posting a 5-2 record when assisting on more than 42.9% of their goals and a less impressive 1-2 record when the assist rate fell below this threshold. This indicates a team that thrives on collaborative play, with their 33% offensive efficiency in high-assist games further emphasizing the importance of well distributed offensive efforts. It's interesting to see this stat show up here because assist rate says nothing about how many goals are being scored, it's solely about the percentage of goals that are assisted. I always perk up when I see this stat in this type of analysis because it suggests that ball movement and passing are especially critical to an offense's success. It also suggests an offense that is lacking players who can, through sheer force of will, create their own offense.

Shooting percentage also emerged as a key determinant of Maryland's success. When the team shot above 28.6%, they managed a strong 5-2 record, compared to a 1-2 record when shooting below this mark. Below the threshold, they had a win over Penn State, but the two losses were the two Michigan games. My gut is that since several of the thresholds were related to ball movement, this is more of a symptom than a cause. Assisted shots generally have a higher shooting percentage, and if the offense is not creating great looks, it wouldn't be a surprise that the shooting percentage is lower.

In conclusion, Maryland's success in the 2023 season seemed to hinge on ball movement and good decision making. When the offensive scheme was creating a lot of assists, they were pretty good, but the teams that had success against them were able to figure out to shut that part of the offense down.

Get smarter about college lacrosse in 5 minutes per day. Sign up for Expected Goals today.
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

This was originally published in the Wed Oct 4, 2023 edition of Expected Goals, my daily newsletter.

It was a good year in many respects, but the improvement in statistical performance for Johns Hopkins was most significant on the offensive end. Their adjusted efficiency increased from 30.2% in 2022 to 35.0% in 2023 (13th nationally). This improvement was fueled by the team's impressive shooting percentage, which rose from 28.9% in 2022 (40th nationally) to 35.1% in 2023 (5th nationally). Additionally, their shooting efficiency increased from 38.5% in 2022 (35th nationally) to 43.6% in 2023 (5th nationally), so it was not just about getting more shots on cage. Whether it was the sets or the shooters, they transformed into one of the better shooting teams in the country. Garrett Degnon exemplifies the trend; his shooting percentage went from 32.8% in 2022 to 35.3% in 2023.

On the defensive side, the Blue Jays also showed improvement. Their defensive efficiency increased from 27.5% in 2022 to 25.7% in 2023 (7th nationally). This improvement was supported by a decrease in opponents' shooting efficiency, which dropped from 36.4% in 2022 (25th nationally) to 33.8% in 2023 (8th nationally). Additionally, the team's turnover rate increased slightly from 33.0% in 2022 (26th nationally) to 35.9% in 2023 (8th nationally). So it was an across-the-board thing. That said, although the defense had a strong overall performance, the opponent-adjusted shooting efficiency trailed off over the course of the year. In the first half, it was 31.7% compared to 36.4% in the second half. Potential warning sign there.

In the possession game, Johns Hopkins had a per-game possession margin of +1.5 in 2023 (31st nationally), an improvement from their -0.3 margin in 2022 (40th nationally). This improvement was primarily driven by their faceoff win rate, which increased from 53.6% in 2022 (25th nationally) to 55.0% in 2023 (23rd nationally). More than most stats, the team's success in faceoffs was more strongly correlated to their actual outcomes, as evidenced by the difference between their adjusted win rate in their wins (57.4%) versus their losses (49.9%).

Among the three major statistical areas, the offensive performance contributed the most to Johns Hopkins' successful season. The significant improvement in offensive efficiency driven largely by their shooting paved the way for a much-improved unit. While the improvements in defense and possession game were important, it was the offensive unit's ability to generate goals and capitalize on scoring opportunities that had the most significant impact on the team's success.

If you want 5-10 minutes of team and player analysis in your inbox every morning, sign up for Expected Goals here.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”