PLL Catch All

PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE
Surfs_Up

Re: PLL Catch All

Post by Surfs_Up »

Well that’s my point. Whatever the Peacock is. Kids watch espn. Or regular tv.

Somehow PLL needs to get on mainstream channels.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

hooligan88 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:29 pm Just get peacock if you love the PLL. Every game is on there and you can even watch them when you want.
Agreed.

Peacock has something for everyone in the family (wife and kids love it).

Missing a live game isnt bad either because of the replays.
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

Peacock is the NBC app. Its real TV.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Surfs_Up wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:23 pm Anyone know how the in person ticket sales are going this year? Trending up or down?

I find it maddening that these games are so hard to find on tv to watch. It feels like a big step backwards from last year.

Is this league going to make it?
Have to assume in-person attendance is down based on the eyeball test. Other than Homewood, few fans in attendance to be seen (son and I went to Gillette for week one ftw), but some of that has to do with covid I assume. I think PLL measures its success by clicks, eyeballs on tv etc., which translates to marketing revenue. I assume that is trending well. After all, some big dog VC investors bought into a new venture round just prior to the season.
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 7336554499

The graphic in the quoted tweet does mention they've sold more tickets YTD than in 2019, and has other interesting numbers about growth on peacock and NBCSN
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Well there you go. Looks like everything is trending up. Hope it continues.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:03 pm Any word on how Michael Sowers is doing after taking this hit to the back of the head?
"Big Dog Energy."

:oops:

https://twitter.com/LacrosseRat/status/ ... 55685?s=20
Going on 8 weeks. Certainly hope all is well, and that they are just being very wise and keeping him out. I wonder if the PLL advised him to not return this year?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

ALaudico7 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:36 pm https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 7336554499

The graphic in the quoted tweet does mention they've sold more tickets YTD than in 2019, and has other interesting numbers about growth on peacock and NBCSN
Attendance being higher doesn't doesn't pass the eyeball test in my opinion.
Smaller stadiums this go round and it still looks dismal even with all the free ticket giveaways.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DQKing wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:33 am
ALaudico7 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:36 pm https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 7336554499

Smaller stadiums this go round and it still looks dismal even with all the free ticket giveaways.
Indeed.....they have a looooong way to go. IMO, the PLL simply does not translate well on television for some reason. Maybe it is the way they structured the rules and pace of play, the time in between goals, the lack of true PxP's (not a knock on the current crews)maybe it just needs some tweaking like with Joe B does in Hockey or when he and Pete or Mark do a B1G lax game.

Maybe the PLL should be a Fall sport and games would be prior to NFL kickoff....an opening act if you will, gain more traction...fans. Summertime is just too tough to fill any stadium in the US, unless you are baseball, and even they are having a tough time these days. Amazing how there is so little going on, and yet tv time is challenging. I suppose Peacock has some revenue stream for them.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:03 pm
DQKing wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:33 am

Indeed.....they have a looooong way to go. IMO, the PLL simply does not translate well on television for some reason. Maybe it is the way they structured the rules and pace of play, the time in between goals, the lack of true PxP's (not a knock on the current crews)maybe it just needs some tweaking like with Joe B does in Hockey or when he and Pete or Mark do a B1G lax game.

Maybe the PLL should be a Fall sport and games would be prior to NFL kickoff....an opening act if you will, gain more traction...fans. Summertime is just too tough to fill any stadium in the US, unless you are baseball, and even they are having a tough time these days. Amazing how there is so little going on, and yet tv time is challenging. I suppose Peacock has some revenue stream for them.
Oldest son and I attended week 1 Sunday at Gillette. Oldest and youngest son (former and current college players) and I attended Albany this past Sunday. It is a great product to watch live. Sons really enjoy it too. I generally watch all other games on tv or 'puter (I'm a bit of a lax junky as you can see from posting here at 8:42 on a Monday night). Much like I feel about the college game, I don't really care about its acceptance at large, I just want to have a game to watch.

When I first started watching professional sports, few of the athletes had the sport as their only job. Until Joe Namath, Derek Sanderson and then the WHA (and then unions and TV rights etc.), many guys were coaches, insurance salesman, etc. during the offseason. Much like the PLL players. I expect/anticipate that PLL will grow similarly to the MLS in its first decade as, after all, it has some of the same financial backers and the internet/social media is a game changer now, and the PLL seems pretty savvy with that.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Paul Rabil is retiring tomorrow morning.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I get it, it's the off-season, but... Is it just me or does the Lacrosse Media seem less interested in lacrosse than "other facets of the game"?
https://twitter.com/USALacrosseMag/stat ... 0456775683

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Anyone care to explain how the PLL works? My kids are interested, spent 20 min navigating the website but can’t tell which team is the Atlanta one. They are way too née to care about college names and into jerseys so this matters if I’m going to spend the money.

Is there a 2022 schedule. Looks like they host weekend round Robin tourneys in the coyotes involved. Does that mean the teams don’t hve any actual city affiliation?

We may all love college lacrosse but I think this “I the individual am a brand” nonsense of how this league is constructed is both late to the party and I’ll conceived. Hopefully someone can explain and this is not how it’s built out.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:57 pm Anyone care to explain how the PLL works? My kids are interested, spent 20 min navigating the website but can’t tell which team is the Atlanta one. They are way too née to care about college names and into jerseys so this matters if I’m going to spend the money.

Is there a 2022 schedule. Looks like they host weekend round Robin tourneys in the coyotes involved. Does that mean the teams don’t hve any actual city affiliation?

We may all love college lacrosse but I think this “I the individual am a brand” nonsense of how this league is constructed is both late to the party and I’ll conceived. Hopefully someone can explain and this is not how it’s built out.
There isn’t an “Atlanta team.” You’ve got it right, that it’s a traveling weekend of games.

As far as the “individual being the brand,” I don’t see it as that. Some players who have developed a name for themselves are marketed accordingly.

It seemed, when the league first formed, that the teams were designed to have certain things to give them each an individual identity. Whether it be style of play, or a high number of players from a specific school etc.. As the years have gone, with trades and everything, those identities have faded a bit IMHO. And that’s fine, you’re a Hobart guy right? Find a team with a Hobart guy and root for them (Aslanian is on Whipsnakes). Find a team with a guy you hate, or from a college you hate, and root against them.

I find it entertaining, and am glad lacrosse is on my television more. (Whether or not it’s exactly as I would’ve done it)
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:53 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:57 pm Anyone care to explain how the PLL works? My kids are interested, spent 20 min navigating the website but can’t tell which team is the Atlanta one. They are way too née to care about college names and into jerseys so this matters if I’m going to spend the money.

There isn’t an “Atlanta team.” You’ve got it right, that it’s a traveling weekend of games.

As far as the “individual being the brand,” I don’t see it as that. Some players who have developed a name for themselves are marketed accordingly.

It seemed, when the league first formed, that the teams were designed to have certain things to give them each an individual identity. Whether it be style of play, or a high number of players from a specific school etc.. As the years have gone, with trades and everything, those identities have faded a bit IMHO. And that’s fine, you’re a Hobart guy right? Find a team with a Hobart guy and root for them (Aslanian is on Whipsnakes). Find a team with a guy you hate, or from a college you hate, and root against them.

I find it entertaining, and am glad lacrosse is on my television more. (Whether or not it’s exactly as I would’ve done it)
Perfect thanks - appreciate the download. We will probably go when they come to town but I wasn't prepared to explain it to my son based on what I could tell. Definitely root for Aslanian. Think there's 1-2 others in the PLL from Hobart could be wrong. But at least I can now explain it to my kids who, at 7 & 9, root for the "local" teams in general. And Hobart of course though they've yet to see a live game in Geneva but have run on Boswell with one of the former football Assistant coaches (Art Garvey). Hoping for a trip next spring and fall but it's a lot from Atlanta.

Thanks again.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:00 pm
Perfect thanks - appreciate the download. We will probably go when they come to town but I wasn't prepared to explain it to my son based on what I could tell. Definitely root for Aslanian. Think there's 1-2 others in the PLL from Hobart could be wrong. But at least I can now explain it to my kids who, at 7 & 9, root for the "local" teams in general. And Hobart of course though they've yet to see a live game in Geneva but have run on Boswell with one of the former football Assistant coaches (Art Garvey). Hoping for a trip next spring and fall but it's a lot from Atlanta.

Thanks again.
No problem. I found myself in the same spot with my kids. I wanted them to get into it, but I myself couldn’t figure out who was “our” team when they asked. Found a guy from my school on a team and it was a done deal. My kids have been to enough York games where they themselves were able to feel a connection to the PLL team.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Pretty transparent about $ in this piece... https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ming/58700
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

Lacrosse Carneys!! Watch the NLL, its a better league/game.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

hooligan88 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:36 pm Lacrosse Carneys!! Watch the NLL, its a better league/game.
One arrow can be easily broken. But when five arrows are bound together, they become strong. As the five arrows are strongly bound together with our ways and customs and this shall symbolize that the five nations are united; we are of One Mind.”
-PEACEMAKER TO THE MOHAWK, ONEIDA, ONONDAGA, CAYUGA AND SENECA

PLL schedule doesn’t overlap with NLL (or NCAA for that matter). There is no competition between the two, rather a shared stake in a growing year round audience. Why not enjoy each for what they each provide?

The more high level lacrosse I find on my tv, or in person, the better.
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

I watch it cause I love the game and it is so much more to me. But when they mock it or do things I feel do not grow the game I will call them out. Maybe it will improve since Rabil retired and can run it without being conflicted. I am always hoping for the best.

Return to “PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE”