2020 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
VALaxer

Re: 2020 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by VALaxer »

Also, winter and indoor leagues winding down. Frost Fest was this weekend, Valentine's Shootout in a couple of weeks. Spring season T-minus one month or so to official scrimmages. Any observations from fall and winter lax? (Not that they mean much for the Spring...)
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

BlockedShot wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:49 pm Springlike temps today. Lax tryouts and the season are upon us. Are there any pre-season prognostications?

How will the Liberty District unfold (below listing is alphabetical)? Will the State Champ come from this group?
Herndon, Langley, McLean, South Lakes, Washington-Liberty, Yorktown
From what I have seen this offseason, I would be surprised if Langley loses one game in the Liberty District. Yorktown will give them the best fight of that group. Herndon a distant 3rd....

Just my opinion...
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

Does the famous Bobby Jones quote, "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course — the distance between your ears." apply to being distances apart in lax? - "[Lacrosse] is a game that is played on a five-inch [field] — the distance between your ears."
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

BlockedShot wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:43 pm Does the famous Bobby Jones quote, "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course — the distance between your ears." apply to being distances apart in lax? - "[Lacrosse] is a game that is played on a five-inch [field] — the distance between your ears."
I may be dense....not sure I understand. Guess the distance between my ears is empty.
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

What makes one team “...a distant 3rd.”?

This implies the best teams are miles apart from the others. What causes this to happen? Is it mental, athleticism, coaching, favorable officiating, other biases? Can these gaps be overcome in the span of one season?
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

Do the other Districts (Patriot and Concorde) have a front-runner that is heads and shoulders above the rest? Which team in those Districts is the “distant 3rd”?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

BlockedShot wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:28 pm What makes one team “...a distant 3rd.”?

This implies the best teams are miles apart from the others. What causes this to happen? Is it mental, athleticism, coaching, favorable officiating, other biases? Can these gaps be overcome in the span of one season?
Just my opinion based on my eyes. My opinion is no better than yours. Implications of miles apart is yours not mine...
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/distant

The implication is yours.

Favorites and “distant thirds” in the Patriot and Concorde Districts?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

BlockedShot wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:33 pm https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/distant

The implication is yours.

Favorites and “distant thirds” in the Patriot and Concorde Districts?
OK you win... Sorry you are so focused on semantics. I said distant third, you said miles apart. You asked for an opinion on a Virginia district and whether a state champion was in the group, I provided my opinion.

Why don't you provide some opinions or comments other than just asking for people to comment then thrashing them. That is a healthy discourse.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

From what I've seen, Langley will be the team to beat in 6A. In a regular season game on a cold and rainy night, could somebody beat them? It's always possible. These are only high schoolers after all. In their District, I think Herndon, Yorktown, and Washington & Liberty are the competition. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them joined Langley in the State Eight at the end of the year. But as to the original question, I would say Langley. Will they be the champion? That's why they play the games.... :ugeek:
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

The intent was not to thrash anyone. But to get opinions flowing.

I like VALaxer's assessment of the Liberty district - well stated.

I do find it interesting that teams like Langley can get so much better than their competition where the average margin of victory of their games is higher than most.

As for the other District's I recall Woodson and Robinson being like Langley for years. That said it seems like Woodson and Robinson are trending back to the norm.

It seems like the top four teams from Liberty, Patriot, and Concorde somehow find a way to be in a league of their own. One of the secrets seems to be the number of players playing club ball and the caliber of those clubs.
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

More prognosticating... (opinions flowing...)

2020 Liberty District End of Season Standings:
Langley
Herndon
Yorktown
Washington-Liberty
South Lakes
McLean

2020 Concorde District End of Season Standings:
Madison
Oakton
Chantilly
Westfield
Centreville

2020 Patriot District End of Season Standings:
Robinson
West Springfield
Woodson
South County
Lake Braddock
Fairfax
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

The Liberty District is the deepest. With the best competition in the middle of the pack.
VirginiaTerp

Post by VirginiaTerp »

Wow, Spring season tryouts in just a couple of weeks. Time flies.

Looking at those district predictions. Seems reasonable.

Liberty - Langley is da man, if I recall, someone quoted Rik Flair last year. Second place will be between Herndon and Yorktown.

Concorde - Is Madison still a bit stronger than Oakton?

Patriot - I think Robinson, West Springfield, Woodson, and South County beat each other last year. Not sure who has the strongest returning class, but guessing the first two.

Cedar Run - Between Battlefield and Patriot again.

Gunston - Has West Potomac ever not won this district title? Annandale will give them a run this year.

National - Between Marshall and Falls Church.

Cardinal - Between Colgan and Forest Park.

Class 5 - Riverside moving up here will end Freedom-South Riding's two year run.

Class 4 - Dominion will coast to that state title.
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

VirginiaTerp’s crystal ball seems to be working!

Not much to dispute there.
BlockedShot

Post by BlockedShot »

Will Langley suffer any on the offensive or defensive end of the field given the loss of last years senior class? Can anyone in the State challenge them?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VirginiaTerp wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:30 pm Class 4 - Dominion will coast to that state title.
understatement....I would put Dominion up against Langley. They looked that good in Fall. I don't know who would win, but it would be close.
Wg_olyr

Post by Wg_olyr »

Thanks for the great analysis. I am with all of you who think that Langley is going to easily roll through the region to the state final. I am just a rookie, but am not drinking the kool-aid on Riverside at 5. They lost three wheels from that race car (their entire mid-field). Freedom has their UVA commit back from ACL. Both Freedom and P Falls have as many D1 commits as Riverside. They both have better goalies. I have to imagine it's hard to three-peat but you know Woodgrove did it not long ago. I'm thinking Freedom and Atlee again in the last game. Who knows, maybe Riverside has some talent coming up (they did win the JV indoor championship ------ Dominion won the varsity). As far as 4 goes, George Mason has some great young talent. They are in a new conference, so they can sneak in without anyone seeing them. Dominion has some real good players. There is a new loudoun school with a travel coach, so they might be able to utilize the special permission loopholes, and get good real fast.
FSUFan

Post by FSUFan »

I just received the Valentine 7v7 schedule from my daughter's coach.
http://www.valentineshootout.com

There are some interesting matchups on Saturday. Now, granted, it's just a 7v7, so, you can't read too much into these games. Kind of intriguing to me, none the less.
This also signals that the start of the new season is right around the corner! 😀 Thank God!!
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

FSUFan wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:43 pm I just received the Valentine 7v7 schedule from my daughter's coach.
http://www.valentineshootout.com

There are some interesting matchups on Saturday. Now, granted, it's just a 7v7, so, you can't read too much into these games. Kind of intriguing to me, none the less.
This also signals that the start of the new season is right around the corner! 😀 Thank God!!
And, most importantly (to many on this forum) on what will likely be a cold day, they are scheduled to have concessions. :D Bring your folding money. The new season is fast approaching!

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”