VA Public School Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
SpinalTap14

Re: VA Public School Lacrosse

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Has anyone discussed the idea of allowing public HS students to defer for school year 2020-2021 and resume their academic and athletic eligibility for SY 2021-22? During this off year students could intern, work, volunteer, start a business, explore, play a club sport, train, you name it. This would take pressure off the schools and allow us to recover from this pandemic while resuming a level of normalcy. The VHSL could recalibrate the athletic eligibility regs to allow this. The private schools have many 19 year olds on their rosters. “Drastic events call for drastic measures.” - anonymous

Just an idea. Please do not crucify me.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

https://www.insidenova.com/sports/princ ... bWqdwoZtMo

Option one two or three? Option two would be no lacrosse next year but all other sports? Option three maybe a 6 game schedule but would go well into recruiting season? Should be interesting. I think they already plan on option three. I just hope the local VEL's and Fallbrawls can expand non VHSL playing opportunities.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

https://www.insidenova.com/sports/princ ... bWqdwoZtMo

Option one two or three? Option two would be no lacrosse next year but all other sports? Option three maybe a 6 game schedule but would go well into recruiting season? Should be interesting. I think they already plan on option three. I just hope the local VEL's and Fallbrawls can expand non VHSL playing opportunities.
jerseyman

Post by jerseyman »

So public school kids may have two seasons in a row of no lacrosse? Just awful.
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

Option two would mean that lacrosse would not be a fall sport, but it would still be a spring sport.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Tactful Lax wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:50 am Option two would mean that lacrosse would not be a fall sport, but it would still be a spring sport.
Under option two spring sports (except lacrosse) would be played in the fall. Fall sports in the spring. In option 2, there is no lacrosse in the 2020-2021 school year. The players in the class of 2021 would have no games for both the Jr. and Sr seasons of lacrosse.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:54 pm
Tactful Lax wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:50 am Option two would mean that lacrosse would not be a fall sport, but it would still be a spring sport.
Under option two spring sports (except lacrosse) would be played in the fall. Fall sports in the spring. In option 2, there is no lacrosse in the 2020-2021 school year. The players in the class of 2021 would have no games for both the Jr. and Sr seasons of lacrosse.
That is the way it seems to be proposed. Hopefully everyone will weigh in with any VHSL contacts against this option before July 27th.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

While I still feel confident the VHSL members who have a vote will select option three, I think option two is still on the table, and option one is DOA. The number of votes is not proportionate to the population of the state. Fairfax, Loudoun, and North West Prince William have no more pull than other regions who may be more likely to want a full football season above all else. The excuse provided will be difficult logistics in a shortened season, the number of schools affected will be much less in option two, and popularity of football across the entire state. Some counties do not field a varsity lacrosse program yet get an entire vote with one high school over counties that have dozens of programs and get maybe two votes. If option two does pass, I think coaches should all form club teams and play a season. Hockey still has HS teams.
jerseyman

Post by jerseyman »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:08 pm While I still feel confident the VHSL members who have a vote will select option three, I think option two is still on the table, and option one is DOA. The number of votes is not proportionate to the population of the state. Fairfax, Loudoun, and North West Prince William have no more pull than other regions who may be more likely to want a full football season above all else. The excuse provided will be difficult logistics in a shortened season, the number of schools affected will be much less in option two, and popularity of football across the entire state. Some counties do not field a varsity lacrosse program yet get an entire vote with one high school over counties that have dozens of programs and get maybe two votes. If option two does pass, I think coaches should all form club teams and play a season. Hockey still has HS teams.
There is a mini tournament at Evergreen this Thursday, the 30th. Public NOVA HS teams will participate, including the seniors who graduated. Can never replace the lost season, but at least the kids get to put on the pads one last time. Bittersweet.
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

So happy to hear. Glad to see coaches aren’t afraid of the plastic handcuffs put on their teams. Think Evergreen could make some $$$ with this. Many kids want to play with their buds and parents will pay for it.

Hopefully VEL goes on. Would take care of the weekends. Evergreen could do a week day thing. A lot of kids need sports now more than ever. Distant learning is/will suffocate them and VHSL only cares/afraid of the liabilities.
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

jerseyman wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:51 pm
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:08 pm While I still feel confident the VHSL members who have a vote will select option three, I think option two is still on the table, and option one is DOA. The number of votes is not proportionate to the population of the state. Fairfax, Loudoun, and North West Prince William have no more pull than other regions who may be more likely to want a full football season above all else. The excuse provided will be difficult logistics in a shortened season, the number of schools affected will be much less in option two, and popularity of football across the entire state. Some counties do not field a varsity lacrosse program yet get an entire vote with one high school over counties that have dozens of programs and get maybe two votes. If option two does pass, I think coaches should all form club teams and play a season. Hockey still has HS teams.
There is a mini tournament at Evergreen this Thursday, the 30th. Public NOVA HS teams will participate, including the seniors who graduated. Can never replace the lost season, but at least the kids get to put on the pads one last time. Bittersweet.
Madlax is running the event--players register through them. Appears that info will be posted here: https://capital.madlax.com/dmvlax and that Madlax might do some previews, video, etc.

I've heard teams include Battlefield, Chantilly, Lake Braddock combo, Madison, Oakton, Robinson, West Potomac, Woodson.

Totally agree about it being great for seniors to get one final run together.
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

I just read that the VHSL Exec Commitee (The Good Ole Boys) voted for Model 3, which included boys and girls lacrosse.
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:48 am I just read that the VHSL Exec Commitee (The Good Ole Boys) voted for Model 3, which includes boys and girls lacrosse.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

JustPassingThrough wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:07 pm
jerseyman wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:51 pm
Madlax is running the event--players register through them. Appears that info will be posted here: https://capital.madlax.com/dmvlax and that Madlax might do some previews, video, etc.

I've heard teams include Battlefield, Chantilly, Lake Braddock combo, Madison, Oakton, Robinson, West Potomac, Woodson.

Totally agree about it being great for seniors to get one final run together.
This looks like a great idea and great event very happy for the 2020 kids who get to play. Surprised that there are no Loudoun teams considering the location of the event.
sguy

Post by sguy »

Congrats Chantilly Boys
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:29 am Has anyone discussed the idea of allowing public HS students to defer for school year 2020-2021 and resume their academic and athletic eligibility for SY 2021-22?... Just an idea. Please do not crucify me.
It's a great idea...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

VHSL proposal would still offer state championships after truncated seasons
https://starexponent.com/sports/high-sc ... 12565.html
Caddy Day
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

I am sure all will be very happy to see a lacrosse season and state championship game. What will be interesting with a four team play-off is that the state title most likely will be decided in the semi-finals or to get to the final four. Although after so much time off, who really knows which teams are the top teams anymore? It will be interesting to watch a team like BW that is a 2x defending champ. I am not sure what to expect.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Any thoughts observations on first week of VEL? Game may have been a bit rusty getting started but the usual suspects seem back to form. It is just good they get to play
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”