UNC

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

UNC

Post by Peter Brown »

Carolina doesn't even have a thread yet.

Happy day for you, Heels: Chris Gray coming your way.
durpadurp

Re: UNC 2020

Post by durpadurp »

I am genuinely surprised that UNC came out ahead. There were far too many great schools and programs in the running. UNC is certainly no academic slouch and they were looking like a top 10 team by the end of the season. Here's hoping they can pick up where they left off and do that much better with Gray in the works.
hens62

Post by hens62 »

He gets to be the "guy" on UNC - rare opportunity and makes sense. Lot of young talent coming up, just a matter of who takes that next step. You do lose the Perry/Anderson/Cook line in a year.

Solomon, Cameron, Trippi, Kelly, Atayan, plus Tucci/Johnson down the middle and Egan/Bowen on D. The 19 class is OK but the 20 class looks stacked. 2021 could be the year.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

I’ve noticed that in college lacrosse, unlike fb and bb, there never seems to be a player who has to sit out a year. Is this a NCAA regulation or just another inconsistency of those making/approving transfer decisions?
Big Easy Lax

Post by Big Easy Lax »

More talent for Breschi to waste.

Will one of their 4 good young attackmen they have transfer from UNC now? Minutes for that group just took a big hit.

Could do the Tillman and put your best 6 out there I suppose
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Seems like I was the only one who thought UNC would have made the most sense when Gray announced he was transferring :lol: . Not only was I the only one that voted for UNC in the Chris Gray transfer poll, but then UNC got bumped off the poll for Hopkins! He will fit right into the role that now graduated Andy Matthews filled. Gray will be a huge upgrade since he is also a serious threat to score as well as feed.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

10 10 2 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:32 pm UNC got bumped off the poll for Hopkins!
Heels just another in a long series of teams to get "displaced" by Hopkins. Talk to Cornell, High Point, etc., etc., etc., etc............
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Seahawk wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:58 am I’ve noticed that in college lacrosse, unlike fb and bb, there never seems to be a player who has to sit out a year. Is this a NCAA regulation or just another inconsistency of those making/approving transfer decisions?
Basically, the only mandatory sit-outs in hoops, FB, wrestling and one other sport I forget.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Seahawk wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:58 am I’ve noticed that in college lacrosse, unlike fb and bb, there never seems to be a player who has to sit out a year. Is this a NCAA regulation or just another inconsistency of those making/approving transfer decisions?
I assume he meets the NCAA requirements....From NCAA website:

Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to red shirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part-time during your college career.
Progress-toward-degree: A system of academic benchmarks ensuring a student-athlete makes progress towards a bachelor’s degree at a reasonable pace.

Season of competition: NCAA student-athletes are allowed to compete for four seasons in one sport. Division I and II student-athletes who compete for any amount of time during a season use up one season in their sport. Division III student-athletes who practice or compete after the first date of competition in their sport use up one season in their sport.
Exceptions

Exception: If you meet a legislated exception, it means a specific regulation will not apply to you. The school to which you are transferring determines whether you are eligible and has the authority to apply exceptions.
One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.

You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.

You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

Who starts on attack now, Gray, Solomon, Cameron/Kelly?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Maybe Scanlan?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
smoova

Post by smoova »

QuakerSouth wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:07 pm
10 10 2 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:32 pm UNC got bumped off the poll for Hopkins!
Heels just another in a long series of teams to get "displaced" by Hopkins. Talk to Cornell, High Point, etc., etc., etc., etc............
... Army, Rutgers ...

I will say that it is amusing to explain the "Because, HOPKINS!" concept to folks who aren't familiar with the sport and the tourney selection process. Anyway, back to UNC.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:41 pm Maybe Scanlan?

I'd be willing to bet that Scanlan ends up at Cuse or Albany, with Cuse slightly more likely. UNC no way.
hens62

Post by hens62 »

ABClaxfan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:39 pm Who starts on attack now, Gray, Solomon, Cameron/Kelly?
Was very impressed by Cameron from below GLE. Kelly out of the box to run with Trippi and Gavin makes UNC 9 deep on O with talent

Only thing UNC is lacking is role guys - D mids, LSMs. Grinders
molo

Post by molo »

I would have bet on Duke for straight lax reasons, but I can’t think of many places that combine the athletic and academic excellence of UNC. Does the addition of Gray make the Heels a legit contender in 2020, or will they remain the number five team in the nation’s best lax conference?
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

It's hard to say whether or not the 2020 Heels will be title contenders with Gray, since we don't know yet if they will have a couple other pieces that typically make up one of those teams. Definitely agree that this team needs some dynamic LSMs and d-mids that can be relied on to win the tough ground ball battles.

Does anyone know anything about the incoming class of freshmen? Haven't seen many of them play at all. Any promising LSM candidates that can replace Halpert and Rowlett?
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

27-21 in the last 3 years. Yes, they went on the run in May to win it a few years back. But that’s a lot of losses.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Breschi is a good coach but one would expect him to win more with the strong classes that he gathers every year though the same could have been said for UVA.

Margins are thin in a very competitive ACC so record probably just a matter of close losses. UNC will be stronger team this year but so will the other four.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Breschi is a good coach but one would expect him to win more with the recruiting classes that he gathers though the same can be said for UVA and Duke .

Margins are thin in a very competitive ACC so record probably just a matter of close losses. UNC will be better this year
walker

Post by walker »

Exactly. 27-21 over the last 3 years - 8 of those losses were by 1 goal and those losses were by and large too historically quality programs. The Heels will be just fine. Coaching staff is excellent and most importantly, they have their priorities right. GO HEELS!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”