Syracuse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ohmilax34

Syracuse 2020

Post by ohmilax34 »

I go to the syracusefan forum for my SU lacrosse fix, but I also like coming here, so I wanted to make this thread and read what everyone has to say about Syracuse's team for 2020.

In case you were wondering, the answer is yes. Syracuse lacrosse fans are depressed. We are depressed that SU's season ended earlier than we wanted, depressed that there will be zero SU commits in the UAAA game, depressed that we are not a contender for Chris Gray's services for the next two season. However, there were some really great moments in the 2019 season for Syracuse and I think the fans expect 2020 to go at least as well as 2019.

Attack
The attack loses two starters (Voigt and Solomon) and returns one (Rehfuss). SU has had an average attack unit since 2017 (we could maybe even throw 2016 in there too) so losing two starters isn't the end of the world. SU usually plays two attackmen who are a threat to dodge and one finisher. Rehfuss falls into the dodger category. The first two guys off the bench in 2019 were Griffin Cook and Owen Seebold, both of whom fall in the dodger category. Cook showed some flashes of being a productive player. Seebold didn't. There is lots of discussion about a move to attack by one of SU's many returning midfielders, but there isn't consensus about which player it should be. I think if a midfielder is going to moved to attack it should be a midfielder who can dodge on a long pole, so I'm taking David Lipka and Jacob Buttermore out of the discussion. That pretty much leaves Brendan Curry (a speed dodger) or Tucker Dordevic (a shifty player who is coming off of a foot injury and may not be as shifty as he once was). I think everyone would be surprised if Jamie Trimboli moved to attack. Neither Curry nor Dordevic seem like ideal options to me because they've been playing midfield for a long time. Even their HS highlights show them in front of the goal much more than behind. SU has two incoming freshmen who were dodgers for their High School teams in Jack Wood and Lars Swensen. Wood is a righty and Swensen is a lefty. Both look pretty good, but it's hard to see them overtake Rehfuss or even Cook. If SU wants to play a crease finisher at attack, they have a few options, but again, none of them are really exciting options at this point. The names mentioned the most on other forums for a finisher are Basil Aburn, Sean Donnelly and Owen Hill. Aburn and Hill went to major HS lacrosse factories (Boys Latin and Hill Academy) and neither lit up the scoreboard in either place. Donnelly went to a lacrosse factory but did light up the scoreboard a little bit. I think he's an interesting prospect, because he seems pretty multi-faceted. His highlights show a good mid range shot, and a little dodging. Jake Nelson played well in scrimmages this past season, but didn't get a chance to make an impression during the regular season. He's behind Cook and Seebold. Mikey Berkman scored a ton against weak competition in HS and may have redshirted in 2019, so we don't really know where he stands in the depth chart.

Predicted Starters (Syracuse rotates 4-5 attackmen through, so I am predicting 4-5 players here):
Starters: Rehfuss, Dordevic and Cook
First off the bench: Seebold, Donnelly

What it means for the team
Syracuse's last 3 tournament loses can probably be blamed on not having enough firepower at attack. Moving a 100% healthy Dordevic to attack would boost the level of talent there and leaves the 1st midfield intact. Griffin Cook is a versatile player who would draw the worst individual defender from each opponent if he's paired with Rehfuss and Dordevic. None of these guys would get a short stick match up, however Syracuse's motion offense creates a lot of switches from the opponent's defense. Rehfuss averaged 3.5 points per game over the last 10 games of 2019. If he bumps that up a little over the whole of 2020 that is huge for Syracuse. We probably all consider Dordevic about as talented as Rehfuss, so we expect similar production from him. If we get that and some production from the next two guys, this could be the best Syracuse attack unit since Donahue, Barber and Evans in 2016. Looking forward, SU loses Rehfuss for the 2021 season, so they'll need someone used to carrying the ball, dodging and running the offense from behind the goal.
Peter Brown

Re: Syracuse 2020

Post by Peter Brown »

It may not be 'Cuse 1990 days currently in upstate, but 'Cuse has so much talent to draw from locally that they are always a massive hurdle for any team. The one thing that stands out to me about Syracuse is they have rarely if ever been blown out of any games over the last few decades (really the only loss I might consider a blowout was to Hopkins in the Dome two years ago).

I hope you keep writing here, next on the midfield, defense, and goalie. Thanks, ohmilax34. I have always been a massive Cuse fan though I am from Maryland and Loyola is my team. The culture at Syracuse imo is the strongest in lacrosse. For the Hounds, beating Cuse in this past year's NCAA's was a major win and softened the blow for the loss against PSU.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:09 pm It may not be 'Cuse 1990 days currently in upstate, but 'Cuse has so much talent to draw from locally that they are always a massive hurdle for any team. The one thing that stands out to me about Syracuse is they have rarely if ever been blown out of any games over the last few decades (really the only loss I might consider a blowout was to Hopkins in the Dome two years ago).

I hope you keep writing here, next on the midfield, defense, and goalie. Thanks, ohmilax34. I have always been a massive Cuse fan though I am from Maryland and Loyola is my team. The culture at Syracuse imo is the strongest in lacrosse. For the Hounds, beating Cuse in this past year's NCAA's was a major win and softened the blow for the loss against PSU.
I agree that Syracuse still gets a lot of talented players, but not at attack lately, and not that many from CNY. CNY used to be a great place to recruit, but that isn't the case anymore, hence SU recruiting more in WNY, Albany, section 2, Hudson Valley and other places.

The last Syracuse national championship was built around players from CNY like Hardy, Nims and Abbott. Those guys won the Empire State Games gold two years in a row when they were in High School. CNY didn't win gold again.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Offensive Midfield
I think midfield as a whole was the biggest strength of the SU team in 2019, and they return almost everyone, including Tucker Dordevic from injury if he doesn't move to attack. If someone else gets moved to attack, the return of Dordevic offsets that loss. Most of the midfield discussion through next season will revolve around who might be moved to attack and who should be the 3rd guy on the first midfield line if one middie is moved to attack. The 2019 1st line was usually Trimboli, Curry and Lipka. Jacob Buttermore also saw some time on the first line. Lipka is an alley dodger. Buttermore is a catch and shoot guy. If Lipka is on the 2nd middie line (and Buttermore on the 1st line) he would probably get the LSM from the other team and the LSM would neutralize him a little bit, so I think the coaches' decision to play him on the 1st line made sense. Buttermore isn't as affected by getting the long stick, because he's a catch and shoot guy.

There are few things I enjoy more as a Syracuse Lacrosse fan than a really productive second midfield line. Each of SU's championship seasons they had a second middie line that was very productive including guys like Tim Byrnes, Tom Hardy, Steve Vallone, Greg Rommel, Brett Bucktooth, Jovan Miller and Josh Amidon. Given that either Lipka or Buttermore will play on the 2nd middie line, and Griffin Cook is moved to attack, there are 2 spots open and quite a few players competing for those spots. Lucas Quinn got some run towards the end of 2019. Matt Magnan showed some good potential in 2019. The Kims are very big and showed some potential. Pete Fiorini has good size and is very skilled. Of the incoming freshmen middies, Shaffer Woody and JJ Levandowski are the two most highly regarded. I haven't seen nearly enough Max Rosa to make an assessment of his ability. West Genny players seem to be able to work their way into the SU line up lately. Buttermore and Magnan are lefties. We may see one of them on man up in 2020, since SU likes to balance the righties and lefties at least a little on EMO and they lost Voigt and return only Rehfuss.

Predicted lines
1st line: Trimboli, Curry and Lipka
2nd line: Buttermore, Magnan and Quinn

What it means for the team
Once Trimboli started shooting overhand, he became a much more consistent shooter. Curry had some shooting slumps in 2019. Lipka's shooting percentage is low. They can improve on their shooting. Getting more production from the attack and getting better looks as a result of more attention being paid to the attack would help greatly. To go far in the tournament, the team needs scoring depth and the second midfield needs to provide it. It is a talented group, so we should expect good production. If somehow SU finds that they don't need to move a middie to attack and still be a very good unit then they have Lipka and Buttermore on the 2nd middie line and they become a very dangerous unit.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Syracuse 2020 has a very good core of talent returning and can go a step or two further if two openings at attack are productively manned. Voigt and Solomon were two leading scorers despite critiques that we lacked a Spencer. Concern is no current candidates have yet to stand out in limited opportunities and the incoming class is not likely to provide any quick remedies. Fortunately the middy position is steep deep in talent and allows Dordevic or Curry to drop to attack if need be. One or both will remain at mid with Trimboli, Buttermore ,Lipka and bevy of other talent for two formidable mid lines. D should be a strength with top tier players in Mellen, Kennedy , Dearth who impact games along with Helmer and Fernandez . Bomberry stick might be tough fill but several solid candidates are in stock. Fogos were more than solid and could get better with third viable option and two good prospects are incoming. Goalie position is in secure hands and deep. If attack finds answers then team has potential to reach Final Four weekend with some good fortune . If attack group falters then another season of high hopes washes away.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Defensive Midfield and Face Offs
This was the area with the greatest improvement from 2018 to 2019. And it seemed, at least partially, to be from the coaches taking a different approach to finding short stick defensive middies. Usually they take an athletic midfielder who doesn't have great skill and move him to SSDM. In 2019 most of the SSDMs were former longsticks, like Grant Murphy, Andrew Helmer and Brett Barlow. I think the strategy makes sense for SU's current personnel because I think they've recruited long sticks well over the past 5 years or so. They have had good depth there and can afford to lose a few. Peter Dearth and Spencer Small were the offensive middies converted to SSDM. Not only was that a different approach, but the size of these guys were very impressive and that hasn't always been the case at SU where we've seen some small SSDMs. Of course, regardless of size, they still have to be able to cover people and there was a huge improvement in that regard from 2018 to 2019. Of this group, only Dearth really showed much in transition, which makes sense considering most of the others played long stick in the past. Dearth also showed some play making ability on defense in causing turnovers and scooping groundballs, so he was a triple threat and one of the best SSDMs SU has had recently.

This group of SSDMs may lose one or two players in a move back to long stick. Grant Murphy played close defense in place of Tyson Bomberry in one game. He brings some of the same traits as Bomberry in that he's physical, but Bomberry was great on ground balls and incredible at deflecting passes and shots. Those will be very hard to replace. Those can end possessions. Andrew Helmer has played LSM in the past and if Brett Kennedy moves from LSM to close defense, we may see Helmer play LSM, but he doesn't have the ground ball ability of Kennedy or Jared Fernandez. Any potential moves from SSDM to long stick will be offset by the return of Dami Oladunmoye. He played a lot in 2018 and I expect him to play a lot in 2020. It would be great if he provides a threat in transition like Dearth. Logan Dieball is tall and very fast, but we don't know if he can cover or play team defense. None of the incoming recruits look like obvious SSDM candidates. Brandon Aviles seems like the most likely candidate.

SU returns their top 2 LSMS in Kennedy and Fernandez. They lost 2 starters at close defense and Kennedy could possibly move to close, but I think that would weaken their midfield defense and their face offs if he doesn't bump up to play on FO wings. If either of SU's two incoming freshmen LSMs, Landon Clary or Michael Page, can really play right away then we may see Kennedy move to close. I haven't seen much of Page, but Clary has a ton of videos available online. He looks good, and Page is more highly regarded at IL, so we may have some good ones there.

Face offs were very good until the last two games of the season that SU lost. They didn't win the face off battle every game, but it was always close. Winning more face offs against Loyola may have changed the result of the game. SU returns Jake Phaup and Danny Varello who took all but 14 face offs all year. I much prefer the two-headed monster of face offs than the days of running Ben Williams out there every single time even into the fourth quarter of a blow out, but it's possible the SU FOGOs wore down a little during the season. SU can play a couple different long sticks on the wings and Peter Dearth is solid on the wings. I'd like to see one of the freshmen LSMs or another short stick middie make an impact on the wings. SU have a couple freshmen FOGOs arriving in the fall. Gavin Kline doesn't seem like he's a top FOGO, but maybe he provides a change up in technique. Luke Talago seems to have had more success in HS. Like goalies, I rarely predict anything for incoming FOGOs, because it's hard to know how they will adjust as they go from HS to college.

Predicted Starters
SSDM
Dearth and Helmer
Barlow and Oladunmoye

LSM
Kennedy
Fernandez

FOGO
Phaup
Varello

What this means for the team
It's no secret that a championship team needs great SSDMs. SU is getting there with this group. In the past, when SU's SSDMs get inverted and have to defend behind the goal and communicate and work through picks they struggle. We didn't see that much in 2019. SU returns almost everyone from the 2019 group of both SSDMs and LSMs, but it could get shaken up to fill spots at close defense. I think with the return of Oladunmoye this group can take a loss of a player or two and still be very good. I don't think the coaches will want to take Kennedy away from his role on the wing of face offs. SU needs more of an offensive punch from their transition from defense to offense or from face off wins. There were a few moments in 2019, like the Kennedy goal vs. JHU and a couple goals vs. Navy, but if the 6v6 offense continues to be pretty good and not great, then the transition goals become more important, especially against better teams in the tournament.
Detour47

Post by Detour47 »

Dearth had an excellent season. Really hoping he can keep that up next season.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

No reason why Dearth should not have another excellent season. Big, strong, fast, physical, experienced senior. Kid was a solid OM but wanted the challenge of dm, one of the team captains who helps set the tone by coming to play every game.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Are Cuse fans going to start turning Hopkins on Desko
if he doesn’t make the quarters in the next year or two?

He’s been there like 40+ years and starting to feel like tail end Paterno/Bobby Bowden there with the OCC tie broken by albany, Jamie archer sending his kid to, gasp, geneva (though isn’t max Rosa related to Hobart alum tommy Rosa?) and other signs of decay? And that’s not intended to reflect the depreciation of the dome or city. Good thing I’ll be there next week to see Peter Frampton play. A bright spot in Syracuse these days???
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Well well well. The Evil Empire strikes again!

All that should be said at this stage is, if Desko doesn't carry this team through to the Promised Land of a few FF's after turning over #22 to an incoming sophomore who had never played a game for the Orange, the 'Cuse faithful will make the Hopkins curmudgeons look like sorority cheer squads.

Happy July 4th, you Orange turncoats! ;)
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Any word on Berkman at attack next year? Kinda figured he lit it up against weak competition in HS when he scored all of those points. Curious to know how he did vs better teams? With the ubiquitous club teams, SU must have scouted/recruited him at summer tourneys and not high school games. Was hoping he would be like Salicido and have a FLA chip on his shoulder...maybe it's not too late.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Be interesting to see where Scanlan plays. I suspect at attack since they graduated Voigt and Solomon. If so , wonder who would be third attackman with him and Rehuss. There was some previous talk of dropping Dordevic down which is still a possibility. Be a nice mix with a finisher, distributor and a dodger
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:41 pm Be interesting to see where Scanlan plays. I suspect at attack since they graduated Voigt and Solomon. If so , wonder who would be third attackman with him and Rehuss. There was some previous talk of dropping Dordevic down which is still a possibility. Be a nice mix with a finisher, distributor and a dodger
Scanlan will definitely be playing attack, SU has a glut of 1st line midfielders as it is. Cook will likely be the third attackmen, he is being moved back there full time.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

oldjayfan wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:24 pm Any word on Berkman at attack next year? Kinda figured he lit it up against weak competition in HS when he scored all of those points. Curious to know how he did vs better teams? With the ubiquitous club teams, SU must have scouted/recruited him at summer tourneys and not high school games. Was hoping he would be like Salicido and have a FLA chip on his shoulder...maybe it's not too late.
Berkman RS this year from what I was told. Team is high on him but it's going to take sometime for him to adjust to D1. Could see the field next year but I think 2021 after Rehfuss graduates is when he could really make an impact.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the 'cuse is all of a sudden loaded on offense, and with a good amount of d (though a couple holes). bomberry's ability to get the ball back will be missed.
getting dordevic back and scanlan is like winning the lottery.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I wonder if its a package deal ?

Clay Scanlon, brother, cousin, whatever relation, is playing real well this summer in Jr A box, with Chase, Bomberry, Nanticoke.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

So what is the academic upgrade he wanted to get out of his transfer? This is not a knock on Cuse which is an excellent uni.

In the event he now has a full ride, gets to wear 22, returns to proximity to the Rez. All strong motivations on their own. I was thinking more of the Thompsons when I voted for Albany. At least I had the general geography right.

Great spot for him. I never understood LC. That is not a knack on LC. Also an excellent uni with a top coach but culturally it seemed an odd choice
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Congratulations, Orangemen! Great addition.
Mr. Webber

Post by Mr. Webber »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:38 am So what is the academic upgrade he wanted to get out of his transfer?
If he is choosing to stay on the communications pathway that he seems to have started at Loyola, then Syracuse is a massive academic upgrade. SU's Newhouse School of Public Communications is universally recognized as one of the very best in the nation by any measure (including breadth of programs). If that was the academic measuring stick, then Syracuse blows all the other schools on his final list out of the water--and I'm saying that as a Cornell alumnus. A great fit for him, academically and culturally. Really proud of him.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:38 am So what is the academic upgrade he wanted to get out of his transfer? This is not a knock on Cuse which is an excellent uni.

In the event he now has a full ride, gets to wear 22, returns to proximity to the Rez. All strong motivations on their own. I was thinking more of the Thompsons when I voted for Albany. At least I had the general geography right.

Great spot for him. I never understood LC. That is not a knack on LC. Also an excellent uni with a top coach but culturally it seemed an odd choice

The reason for his choice of Loyola was, as I understand it, when Chase initially decommitted from 'Cuse, almost no D1 school had a spot/scholly available to Chase at that late stage, except for Loyola, hence he took the Loyola offer. It was never going to be a great cultural fit, as Loyola is not a great cultural fit for many folks...smaller Jesuit school and all that.

There are two issues I am somewhat unsold on which I believe in the fervor of the moment are easy to overlook: 1) it seems somewhat unusual to offer #22 to an incoming transfer sophomore who initially decommitted from your school; shouldn't he 'earn' that jersey first? and 2) I do not think Chase is a natural attackman, nor a natural middie, so the choice to start at attack by Desko may not be the magic pill you good folks are assuming.

Let's deconstruct a bit. I am not a 'Cuse expert, though let's be real: I did call the eventual choice of 'Cuse for Chase early and often so perhaps I am an expert. :lol: Has Cuse ever put the #22 on a sophomore? If so, did that sophomore play for Cuse his freshman year and earn that jersey? Theoretically, I am just not a huge fan of giving great things to people who have not earned them. is there a chance anyone on Cuse might resent this somewhat-unearned designation? Would you?

Two, I am a Loyola fan who saw almost every game last year. I hope the kid does great at Cuse. But, and this is a big but and said respectfully, Chase is not Gary Gait. I do not think you are getting this generational talent that I've been reading about. Chase is a great player, but he is not THE solution for any team. I'm not going to parse every goal he scored last year, but on the squad coming back to the Hounds next year for offense, he would be our #3 choice so far as importance to the team for offense, and #4-5 for the whole team. I'd slow the roll somewhat before we put too much pressure on this kid as the Savior of Syracuse.

That is all. Ratio me.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”