Hobart 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2020

Post by oldbartman »

We have our first (at least public) 2021 commitment, Will Delano, attack, Westhill, NY Welcome to the family Will!
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Kind of eh, especially the home slate, but it could mean 10 wins if the team performs.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

FL-GO wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:16 pm Kind of eh, especially the home slate, but it could mean 10 wins if the team performs.
Kinda eh is right! For me a 10 win season is meaningless if we can't get to play on the big stage and be competitive.

The 2008 team went 8-6 and didn't make the tournament either but they played Georgetown, Rutgers, Loyola, SU, Cornell, UMass, Penn State, Bucknell, & Fairfield. Granted we were playing in the ECAC and a bunch were league games but being 8-6 with those quality teams on the schedule is something to be proud of.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

The NEC (like the Patriot league), has become too big. Keeping key rivalry games (Cornell & Cuse) is a no brainer. This leaves little room to help our SOS. I personally like playing Colgate, the 3 remaining non league games, Canisius, Siena and Binghamton do little for getting our team ready for league play. They do give the coaches more leeway in getting everyone on the field. As they are early games and do not affect our league record, I believe it would be better in the long run playing tough competition early with most players seeing the field. It will yield benefits later in the season when more is on the line.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Same sos as last year. Agreed that NEC is too big. The new format basically just structures in a play in game. I'd love to see a Penn St in the mix. Bucknell would be a good one too. Or Drexel. Lots of good options. Would get rid of Bingo ... always seems like a crappy game. I dont think Siena helps much either.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Let‘s not get too arrogant here. We‘ve lost to just about all of the teams on our schedule (except for the new teams and Canisius and Wagner) in the recent past. That would include both Binghamton and Siena. Also, remember when some Cornell posters suggested dropping Hobart to improve their SOS? SOS is a bunch of crap. Just play the teams that are on your schedule. And just BTW, I like the home schedule, especially the game against Sacred Heart. We are developing a good rivalry with them.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Ketch wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:45 am Let‘s not get too arrogant here. We‘ve lost to just about all of the teams on our schedule (except for the new teams and Canisius and Wagner) in the recent past. That would include both Binghamton and Siena.
I have to agree with this. It is not like Hobart has been dominating the NEC. It is a decent schedule with local rivalries still on it.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

It is a moot point because the schedule is set, but all things being equal, I'd still prefer to play another likely top 10 team and another team who draws similar student athletes. I definitely dont see Binghamton as an easy win. I see it as a typically low scoring slog that doesn't expose us to anything new. I dont see the relationship with Siena now that Svek is gone.
The only way for a postseason is the AQ, so whatever can be done to get us there is good.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Laxgunea wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:37 pm It is a moot point because the schedule is set, but all things being equal, I'd still prefer to play another likely top 10 team and another team who draws similar student athletes. I definitely dont see Binghamton as an easy win. I see it as a typically low scoring slog that doesn't expose us to anything new. I dont see the relationship with Siena now that Svek is gone.
The only way for a postseason is the AQ, so whatever can be done to get us there is good.
One of the problems with Hobart is geography. With such a large conference slate they don't have many opportunities to open up dates when it gets warm.

What top 20 team is crazy enough to travel up to Geneva in February or early March? Especially when it would probably be a close game.

If Hobart were to play a top team it would probably have to be an away game, and don't expect a return date.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Yes, good point. The Bubble is a practice only facility from what I understand. Maybe another northern team like Albany? Or a neutral site, like UVM in CT last year? But the idea that you have to play the schedule you have is the bottom line.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

If you listen to Coach Raymond‘s podcasts he thoroughly expects to play games in the bubble. There would probably be limited room for fans, but that‘s the way it is when we play in Victor as well. They would be selling tickets with the available space in mind. Raymond went on to say that games would be on the Boz, weather permitting, but the bubble gives us a lot of new options for scheduling early season games.
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

It appears the Joel Stevens '20 from CMA is coming to Geneva.

https://culverathletics.com/news/2019/1 ... emony.aspx
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

Looks like a very polished player on his 2018 highlight video, didn't see anything for last year.

Lefty playing on the right side and was able to dodge from up top too. Good vision. And you know he's played against the top competition.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Any updates on Mueller? Also heard that Knox and Yanko got injured. But not clear on level of seriousness. On a non-lax note, congrats to WS herons soccer for a victory over Hopkins yesterday to advance to NCAA semis (Dec 6 in NC).
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

Kind of slow with news right now, definitely looking forward to the spring! In the interim here’s a nice write-up on 2020 LSM commit Cam Kewley’s performance in the VISAA state title game:

http://scrimmageplaycva.com/articles/st ... rth-cross/

1st team All conference as a middle linebacker. Good chance of making All State as well.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Yes, it is a lacrosse forum, but still have to give a shout out to WS soccer, who defeated Pomona Pitzer in the NCAA semi yesterday. If you miss the sound of Baker and Mapstone, you can hear them on the broadcast of the final against Messiah today at 230. Is it controversial to say that the lacrosse team benefits by the performance of all other teams? If so, the Fall bodes well for spring!
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Two of our recruits, Chad Bach and Zach Delaney, make the All-Central New York football team https://www.syracuse.com/sports/g66l-20 ... hools.html .
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Not only that, Bach is one of six finalists for CNY player of the year. Though have to wonder if may have a chance against a soph already committed to OSU.

There’s a FR who played FB this year, Blake Hansen, that Id seen references to also playing Lacrosse. Not sure though
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:46 pm Not only that, Bach is one of six finalists for CNY player of the year. Though have to wonder if may have a chance against a soph already committed to OSU.

There’s a FR who played FB this year, Blake Hansen, that Id seen references to also playing Lacrosse. Not sure though
The soph who has committed to OSU is not even a finalist for the award. I'd put my money on Bach as the CNY Player of the Year for the small schools.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”