D1 Mens Lacrosse
skillzthatkillz

Re: Patriot League 2020

Post by skillzthatkillz »

Agree with stupefied. Lehigh is my pick
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

The biggest wildcard is Navy. That team has been underperforming and I think Amplo is a pretty clear upgrade on the sidelines. I think they're talented enough to be competitive at the top.

But bet against the Hounds at your own peril. Aside from 2015 when they didn't have an attackman who could carry the ball, the Hounds have been dominant in conference. Olmstead isn't Spencer, but he will be comfortable enough to let the offense function. They'll be right there again.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

blue angels wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:46 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:52 am

Loyola and Bucknell will be solid. I don't love the fact that Loyola plays UVA, HOP, Towson, Rutgers and Duke for the OOC...not one cupcake to get the team humming. I understand the theory, but next year would be the year to perhaps start with some team where you can get your plays rolling. Bucknell does Bryant, OSU, UMD, UNC, and Richmond, so they don't exactly take it easy either...
get the others, but Why are you complaining or worried about having to play Virginia since you have repeatedly expressed with great confidence that will be a definite Loyola victory?
I don't share the same confidence about the Hounds over UVA as Pete does. But he's not complaining about UVA, he's complaining about there being no cupcakes to begin with.
HCBosfan

Post by HCBosfan »

I think for the most part the PL will be a dog fight. Loyola, BU and Army will have a change of some great players. Some are ramping up, like Lehigh, who I do think has the strongest personnel and Bucknell always comes along every year. Navy has under performed. HC has all of the O except 1 and the return of O'Connell and another Fogo freshman that had a great fall. Some have harder schedules but for the most part all Patriot League games are no walk in the park. Preseason i see Lehigh at the top. all the others will need to fight it out for 2-5. Hard to make a prediction past that.
crusader66

Post by crusader66 »

HCBosfan- I think you are right about Lehigh being the front runner this season. Holy Cross, Army, Loyola and BU will be in the mix for Patriot League title and playoffs.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

crusader66 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:40 pm HCBosfan- I think you are right about Lehigh being the front runner this season. Holy Cross, Army, Loyola and BU will be in the mix for Patriot League title and playoffs.

These Lehigh homers remind me of Bill Polian saying 'Lamar Jackson would never make it as a professional quarterback'...the same inability to forecast greatness. Toomey is our Harbaugh, ready to change the lacrosse world.

"It's a new era of football," Harbaugh said in January of 2019. "We'll be a different team than we were last year. We'll be a different team than we've ever been here before because of a lot of the changes."

Loyola this year will beat up on the PL. The real question you should be asking yourselves is: who'll finish second? In that regard, sure, Lehigh has a fighting chance to be second in the PL. This Hounds team is the best team I have seen in a long while. They play as a team. Last year's, not as much as this year's.

Loyola will run the PL table and it won't even be close.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Peter Brown with the most confident post of the year!

Speaking of confidence, where is all the confidence in Lehigh coming from? They lost their top four scorers (I know Pettit is back from injury) and lost Bouhall and Chick, who just happened to be the best defender they’ve ever had.

I am not as confident as PB but I just don’t see anyone beating Loyola in the Patriot league championship. Army lost a lot on defense with Surdick and Baretto gone but have a ton of offense returning, so maybe they can push Toomey’s squad? Maybe.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I see a more balanced and competitive Patriot League this season. It's up for grabs. The following teams - Loyola, Lehigh, Army and BU - had a drop off in talent on both offense and defense due to graduation and transfer. Now maybe they will be able to plug the holes and do well but each team lost some outstanding players that meant a lot to each program. Several teams might be knocking on the door, primarily Navy, Holy Cross and possibly Colgate.

Heard Lehigh had some good frosh coming in and they have Leggett, outstanding player. I also expect Amplo to turn Navy around. They have good talent and sometimes a change in culture and style of play is all that is needed.

Anyway, I'm no expert but picking another team other than Loyola to win the Title again might be a safe bet. Guess we'll see how that plays out.

2020 - Bring it On! :D
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Loyola didn't win Patriot last year but its fair to say that they are considered the team to reckon with in league.

Opinion

Like Lehigh. Why? Dont anticipate the drop-offs mentioned despite the graduations. Mule is going to be one of the better freshman in country and Petit their lead scorer in 18 returns, their secondary scorers will step up along with several well prepared by to step-in. The pure d of their close defense will be as good or better than last year away from any stats. Possess one of the better fogo combos in game and a solid and experienced goalie to boot.
Army always going to battle so never will discount but cant see them repeating . Not sure who replaces Barreto but Coleman may be his clone. Colgate underachieved last year. They do have decent personnel , beating Cuse last year was not a fluke. Expecting them to at least be better .Amplo will get Navy back in mix but wont be this year. Wont comment on Bucknell or HC having not seen them
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

Loyola has not Run the PL since 2014. I do not see it happening this year. The league is better top to bottom this year, then it was in 2014.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Yeah - don't know what I was thinking, maybe pre tourney record and certainly no disrespect to Army. :oops: Point I was trying to make was a more competitive and balanced Patriot League and I think we might see that.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

LeHiGh iS tHE FaVOrITe!
HCBosfan

Post by HCBosfan »

Practice starts up today with Downhill skiing and snowshoeing. No other sport tosses in the weather elements like D1 Lax does. Takes a lot of toughness. I hope to see the PL beat up on some out of conference teams this year like we did last. The addition of BU and Loyola has benefited the play and competition, especially with funding the programs. Everyone else has to step up.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Voyuer wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:51 pm Loyola has not Run the PL since 2014. I do not see it happening this year. The league is better top to bottom this year, then it was in 2014.
Loyola is 33-6 with 4 regular season and 3 PL Tournament titles in the last 4 years. They haven't run the table but they have run the league in the sense that they've been completely dominant. Spencer was a major reason for that, but they've got other talent and I think that will show this year.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:54 pm
Voyuer wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:51 pm Loyola has not Run the PL since 2014. I do not see it happening this year. The league is better top to bottom this year, then it was in 2014.
Loyola is 33-6 with 4 regular season and 3 PL Tournament titles in the last 4 years. They haven't run the table but they have run the league in the sense that they've been completely dominant. Spencer was a major reason for that, but they've got other talent and I think that will show this year.
Here's my take. The league is better as a whole with the power teams dropping off a bit thanks to graduation, and the other schools like Colgate, Navy, HC, Lafayette all rising due to coaching changes and talent development. There can still be favorites and pre season picks to win the conference, ergo Army, Lehigh, Loyola- but in 2020 the league will be a lot more tight than in years past.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:14 am
Here's my take. The league is better as a whole with the power teams dropping off a bit thanks to graduation, and the other schools like Colgate, Navy, HC, Lafayette all rising due to coaching changes and talent development. There can still be favorites and pre season picks to win the conference, ergo Army, Lehigh, Loyola- but in 2020 the league will be a lot more tight than in years past.
Until I see different I think there are still tiers similar to what they've been the last 5 years.

Tier 1 is Loyola. They're the only team in the PL that is a championship weekend contender.

Tier 2 is Army, Navy, Lehigh, Boston U and maybe Bucknell. Teams that on up years can win the PL and maybe make a quarterfinal. I think any of these except Bucknell (I could be wrong but I think they have restrictions on scholarships that make it harder) could move up with the right mix of players but they haven't done it.

Tier 3 is HC, Lafayette and at the moment Colgate. Teams that can count PL semi final appearances has good seasons. I think HC and Colgate could and probably should be more competitive but it just hasn't happened of late. Lafayette has a long way to go.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Excellent post.

Btw, ask Charlie what he thinks of this year's team... I'm trying to help you good folks out. The Hounds should be significantly better than last year's squad, as heretical as that may sound.

Our one and only open question spot is goalie; I'm hopeful that one of the two contenders figures out how to be a D1 goalie within the first 4 quarters of the season. Other than goalie, our team is much improved across the board, and in some areas, comically improved. You will soon see what I'm saying.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:40 am

Excellent post.

Btw, ask Charlie what he thinks of this year's team... I'm trying to help you good folks out. The Hounds should be significantly better than last year's squad, as heretical as that may sound.

Our one and only open question spot is goalie; I'm hopeful that one of the two contenders figures out how to be a D1 goalie within the first 4 quarters of the season. Other than goalie, our team is much improved across the board, and in some areas, comically improved. You will soon see what I'm saying.
Yes, this does indeed seem difficult to believe.
If I'm not mistaken, Loyola lost 336 points of 385 scored last year to graduation or transfer, right?
Two of the three attack, including Tewey winner, top midfielder and 3 of the next 4 scoring middies.

I don't know the team's bench that well, but golly, better than last year sure sounds like a bridge too far...for 2020.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

One thing that really stinks for the PL is the nature of teams schedules and the current criteria for making the tournament means that only 3 teams start the year with any real chance of an at large. I wish the criteria would change so that wasn't the case, but as is the Patriot needs to think about a 10th team coming in and the conference splitting into divisions so there are less games.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:11 am Yes, this does indeed seem difficult to believe.
If I'm not mistaken, Loyola lost 336 points of 385 scored last year to graduation or transfer, right?
Two of the three attack, including Tewey winner, top midfielder and 3 of the next 4 scoring middies.

I don't know the team's bench that well, but golly, better than last year sure sounds like a bridge too far...for 2020.
It's crazy town. When Loyola is not significantly better this year than last, Petey will either:

A) Disappear entirely
B) Delete all these nonsense posts
C) Pretend he did not say any of these things

My gut says C, but perhaps it will be some combination of all three options. Excited to see how this pans out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”