Yale 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Yale 2020

Post by OCanada »

Fairfield may have wanted to raise their profile by hosting. ( I don’t know). I think it’s still a competition it don’t know if it draws enough interest to be truly competitive or not. The host schools now seem to be hiring Corrigan Sports to manage the tournament and appoint a liaison to manage that. Again, I have had much experience in a decade so it could be outdated.

There was a fine the host school got 15% of the net revenue. That provided some incentive to host. I was told they revised the formula taking a bigger slice and reducing incentives. If anyone has more recent knowledge it would be interesting to see what has changed
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

How is the strong freshman class looking so far in practice? Who do you think gets an opportunity for playing time?

Sounds like there are good expectations for Jack Monfort, Patrick Hackler, Skyler Wilson, Jared Paquette, and BJ Burlace.

Logan Soelberg Fy. M 6-2 200 Los Angeles, Calif. / Crespi
Jack Monfort Fy. M 6-1 180 Syosset, N.Y. / Syosset
Griffin Wilson Fy. M 6-1 210 Victoria, B.C. / Salisbury School
Patrick Hackler Fy. M 5-11 200 Skaneateles, N.Y. / Skaneateles
Korbin Pecora Fy. M 5-10 215 North Haven, Conn. / Salisbury
Jared Paquette Fy. G 6-2 205 West Islip, N.Y. / West Islip
Nicholas Ramsey Fy. FOM 6-1 205 Morristown, N.J. / The Hun School of Princeton
Brett Mallee Fy. D 5-10 190 Philadelphia, Pa. / La Salle College
Xander Martin Fy. D 6-1 190 Stevenson, Md. / Gilman School
Michael Alexander Fy. D 6-1 188 West Islip, N.Y. / West Islip
BJ Burlace Fy. D 6-1 200 Edgewater, Md. / St. Mary's
Skyler Wilson Fy. A 6-1 203 Victoria, B.C. / Salisbury School
Last edited by DU-fan on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

BJ has the potential to make a major impact right away.
calourie

Post by calourie »

For the first seven years of Yale and Shay's surge into the higher strata of college lacrosse they were branded as a program that got the most out of disciplined and extremely hard working but not top shelf talent. In year eight of that surge Yale started attracting considerably more high profile talent than had been the case previously. After a somewhat sluggish start in year eight that talent along with some holdovers from the previous years (can you say Reeves, Warner, Keating, C.Mackie, Alessi et al) coalesced into a national championship team in year nine, and hardly missed a beat under the leadership of the likes of Daniggelis, Tigh, Sessa and others to come within a game of winning back to back championships in year ten. Now the Bulldogs seem to be attracting blue chip talent at a rate they have never witnessed before if you can trust the evaluations IL puts out for not only this year's recruits but also for the classes projected to come in next year as well as the one after that. I suspect the recent upgrade in recruit evaluations have become a bit inflated given the proven track record of the staff in effectively coaching up so many of the players that have gone through the program. But now, this year, having just lost his two top assistants over the past winter Shay has a chance to show just how well his leadership and system works with as highly regarded a group of players and recruits he has ever had at his disposal. As of October 9, 2019 my expectations for this season are sky high, and I'm looking forward to hearing from Fann to hear how things start out this Sunday in the scrimmages against Providence and Stony Brook . Go Bulldogs!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

calourie wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:14 pm As of October 9, 2019 my expectations for this season are sky high, and I'm looking forward to hearing from Fann to hear how things start out this Sunday in the scrimmages against Providence and Stony Brook . Go Bulldogs!
I share your optimism, but alas family obligations preclude a Sunday trip to Providence. I apologize for raising hopes on that account. If someone has details on Saturday's alumni game in New Haven, I could go to that... Here's hoping that Mid-Lax or Lefty can report here on Sunday's scrimmages in Providence.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

You never know how players will work out but you should love B J Burlace. Several others as well but he is a baller. 10G 7A SS as a LSM. He will get the mall up the field in a hurry
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

The alumni association email reports fallball scores of 19-5 Yale over Stony Brook in the 1st game and 20-12 Yale over Providence in the 2nd game (back to back games for Yale). Providence is a little too far out of my driving radius so I’m sorry not to get the chance to see it in person.

Would’ve been interested in seeing how the various goalies played. First year Paquette has gotten attention from making the U-19 training squad, but if you remember, last year Leniw ‘22 showed some flashes of an interesting game when he got an extended run late in the Harvard game. And there is of course a lot to like about Starr’s big game experience and his athleticism in the cage and in the clear game.

It doesn’t take a genius to look at the final scores and who Yale has returning and say that they should be able to score plenty of goals. On the Penn State thread I suggested that the top returning attack unit may be Ament/O’Keefe/Foulds, but the unit of Morrill/Gaudet/Brandau is in that conversation.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Thanks Orfling. I wish I'd been able to make the drive to Providence. Scores look nice, and I'd be interested in knowing how Burlace, Monfort and Hackler showed. Hopefully, some additional color will get posted. Ament and O'Keefe are a terrific duo; but with Morrill, Gaudet and Brandau, I don't think Yale should envy any other team's attack line.
calourie

Post by calourie »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:45 am The alumni association email reports fallball scores of 19-5 Yale over Stony Brook in the 1st game and 20-12 Yale over Providence in the 2nd

It doesn’t take a genius to look at the final scores and who Yale has returning and say that they should be able to score plenty of goals. On the Penn State thread I suggested that the top returning attack unit may be Ament/O’Keefe/Foulds, but the unit of Morrill/Gaudet/Brandau is in that conversation.
Have to agree (as usual) with Orfling's assessment. A goal every three minutes is an accomplishment whenever it occurs. A well oiled returning attack unit was likely a major factor, but we also know the Bulldogs needed to work in some unseasoned middies on the 2nd O line, and these being fall scrimmages as well as two games in one day, a wide range of other players on both ends of the field likely saw action as well. I find the scores comforting and would love to hear whatever additional color anyone could provide. As for the Penn State comparison, it seems from the score from Saturday's scrimmage that the Nittany Lions O did an outstanding job against a UVA defense that gave Yale fits in last years championship game. The PSU offense certainly looks like it will set a high bar for the Buldogs to aim for.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:56 am Thanks Orfling. I wish I'd been able to make the drive to Providence. Scores look nice, and I'd be interested in knowing how Burlace, Monfort and Hackler showed. Hopefully, some additional color will get posted. Ament and O'Keefe are a terrific duo; but with Morrill, Gaudet and Brandau, I don't think Yale should envy any other team's attack line.
Fann, I agree on our attack unit, and I'm also looking forward to seeing the first-years you've mentioned. I heard the phrase "player you can build a program around" about Burlace from someone who has seen him play a fair bit and whose lacrosse acumen I highly respect (in fact, the same person who correctly predicted to me a monster debut season for Brandau). If it works out and Burlace can bring that attacking LSM element to Yale's game this year that would be a treat. And Monfort and Hackler sound like middies any team would be delighted to add.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

With Harvard having made what looks like a terrific hiring for Head Coach, Penn and Cornell returning lots of top talent, Brown returning lots of talent and bringing in good recruits, Princeton having Sowers and Dartmouth appearing to be on-track to improve, the Ivy looks like being a very good lacrosse conference in 2020. If Yale can improve its defensive coordination (sliding and other aspects of team D), I think the personnel is there to have a much stronger D than last year. We lose plenty of midfield talent to 2019 graduation, which is why I single out Burlace, Hackler and Monfort. TD and our attack line should give us a chance of winning in every game. Of course, outside the Ivy there are some excellent teams, so it won't be easy... but then, hard work, hustle and determination have been hallmarks of Shay's Eli teams. I'm looking forward to February-May to see how the Bulldogs come together as a team.
calourie

Post by calourie »

In the absence of further insights regarding the weekend scrimmages I'm posting the following excerpts from Coach Shay's alumni email:

Saturday was the annual Christian Prince Memorial Alumni Game. Despite the calls for a repeat, the alums couldn't string two wins together. 50 or so men's alums made it out, with a fair number of former players in street clothes as well. Without ringers like Jonathan Bulkeley, Dan DeTolla, and Charlie Better to rely on, the current team breezed to a 13-7 win.

Sunday we went up to Providence to scrimmage Stony Brook and Providence. The scrimmages were a great opportunity to play a different jersey and get everyone some playing time. The final vs SBU was 19-5 Yale and the final vs Providence was 20-12 Yale.
JAFO

Post by JAFO »

I was able to catch just a few minutes of the second half of the alumni game. Didn't see enough to really be able to talk about players (except maybe Corbin Pecora who I am going to love watching beat guys up as SSDM).

I will say that watching a lacrosse game on the new turf inside the Bowl was a thing of beauty that I hope you all get to witness.
calourie

Post by calourie »

A teaser highlight Utube of the Providence scrimmages this weekend. Some bits of Yale action start around minute 1:52, with another section later on. Just enough to whet the appetite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kfMg0Mj7Jo&t=30s
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Very nice job by the attacks toward the end of the video.
Lux et veritas
calourie

Post by calourie »

Some fun stuff to ponder while we wait for the next 4 months or so to pass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dodnwLZVGAw

I know Fann likes to bemoan the fastening of any kind of target on the backs of the Bulldogs, but that train left the station when the Bulldogs won the title two years ago, and the condition was solidified with their runner up statement last year. Looking forward to the release of this year's schedule. Ivies look like they are going to be as tough as they have been recently. Penn and Cornell look like the strongest adversaries on paper, but like they say the games aren't played on paper. Dartmouth still looks a year or two away, but any of the other five have the talent to scrap with whomever they play. Got a kick out of the snippets from the Providence-Stony Brook tri-scrimmage which left me eager to fast forward to February to see if the Bulldogs will bring-it again this year.
isaacwright22

Post by isaacwright22 »

My version of some highlights I shot. Yale looked good, romped on most of Stony Brook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqyYrOvNx68
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Thanks, IsaacWright22!
calourie wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:44 pm Some fun stuff to ponder while we wait for the next 4 months or so to pass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dodnwLZVGAw

I know Fann likes to bemoan the fastening of any kind of target on the backs of the Bulldogs, but that train left the station when the Bulldogs won the title two years ago, and the condition was solidified with their runner up statement last year...
"Bemoan?" Hmmmm, well, yes, I pointed out the target, and think the Bulldogs dealt very well with it last season. As for the Podcast, it follows the top 3 from last year's NCAA tourney; nice to see Yale at #2, and I think a top 3 of UVa, Penn State and Yale is a very safe (or, one could say "informed") way to go. While the Podcaster focused on who's returning for Yale, I have a feeling some first-years will need to step up (as Starr, Fake and Tevlin did in 2018) for the Elis to win it all this coming spring.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Any info on #20 Will Sullivan? Don’t see him on the 2020 roster that posted
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Leo Johnson Discusses his Decision to commit to Yale: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... yale/55454

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”