Yale 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
seriously?

Re: Yale 2020

Post by seriously? »

Mid-Lax. There is no indoor practice facility. The team is lucky that Andy Shay approved a heated field. :lol:
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Okay, read article through. Grass field is next to the field house not inside of it. My mistake.
Lux et veritas
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Looking forward to fall ball... any news on that? Looking out toward the 2020 season mostly with optimism. Maintaining the intensity, the hustle on the field, the hours of hard work in the weight room, having young men who are ridiculously dedicated to becoming terrific lacrosse players while also being very good students: Shay now seems able to attract top HS talent that buys into the culture. Orfling mentioned competition for the goalie spot, and with a first-year U-19 US goalie and two other capable GKs to challenge Starr, I can definitely imagine this happening. Yes, Starr was terrific in the 2018 NCAA run, but that was partly helped by having Keating, Warner and O'Connor in front of him. I think the 2020 defense should improve over 2019, with all close defenders returning (Fake, Hynes, De Muth and Weitzel; I would love to see Hynes be the real senior leader of the unit); replacing Mooney will be a challenge, but I suspect that Burlace or someone else will step up. Eschbach and Ocken could again anchor the rope unit. Losing Tigh, Sessa, Daniggelis and Forst to graduation means that offensive midfield is probably the area where we'll see the most changes. I really believe Tevlin can step up big-time, while Cotler and Kuttin should get playing time, and first-years Hackler and Monfort will probably get the chance to prove themselves; could this be the year Cabrera stays healthy and comes good? I also believe Shay had a deep bench last year, with numerous capable players ready to step up. Attack line: Morrill, Gaudet and Brandau, wow, okay, just how good can Brandau become? TD Ierlan, senior FOGO, so key in Yale's wins over Penn State, he must want to win it all. Still, I'm hoping Neuman gets more reps this year. All right, sorry if I'm just re-stating the obvious. Please bring on fall ball.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Ran into and chatted with some Yale lax people up here in ADKs this morning. They're related to Tevlin. Seem like nice folks... that's all I got...
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Tevlin is an outstanding human being
calourie

Post by calourie »

Thought I'd mention a couple of players who don't get much ink. One is Will Renz, a SSDM who I believe last year was rewarded with a D1 all-New England second team accolade awarded by NEILA. Unsung but steady Will should be even better this year. The other is Griffin Thomas, a long stick who saw a good bit of action during the second half of this past season. I like his motor and wouldn't be surprised to see him garner considerably more playing time this coming year.
calourie

Post by calourie »

https://yalebulldogs.com/news/2019/9/3/ ... -2023.aspx

Introduction of the new Yale recruits from its' lacrosse site. A couple of new names that haven't been on previous lists include Korbin Pecora and Nicholas Ramsey. Looking forward to seeing who the new contributors will be this year.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

calourie wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:09 am https://yalebulldogs.com/news/2019/9/3/ ... -2023.aspx

Introduction of the new Yale recruits from its' lacrosse site. A couple of new names that haven't been on previous lists include Korbin Pecora and Nicholas Ramsey. Looking forward to seeing who the new contributors will be this year.
Did not realize there was another Pecora. Much bigger than siblings. Dad may have been on training staff at Yale. Nice people.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

For what it's worth, there are definitely some sizable young men in the class of 2023... Canadian twin brothers!?! I'm really looking forward to seeing some fall ball (versus Providence? just a guess) and the entire 2020 team. Saw some PLL this weekend: Reeves and Warner on the same team with a bunch of Terp alums, the Whipsnakes advancing to the championship game (even if I thought negligent drivers could be sued for whipsnakes).

Later edit: Okay that was a good guess. October 13 (Sunday of a long weekend with Monday off): Providence v Yale; will add details when they are available.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yale roster has been up for a while: https://yalebulldogs.com/roster.aspx?path=mlax
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

There are quite a few who missed senior year or other PT with ACLs. Hope they make it all the way back
calourie

Post by calourie »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/55325

Lots of love from Ty Xanders and the IL evaluators for Yale's incoming class. Always a bunch of skepticism with these premature evaluations, but if past history is any indicator the top 25 or so considerably more often than not go on to have impressive collegiate careers. Not as true for those lower down the list, but being included among the top 100 does indicate the development of a good deal of skill at the high school level. How that translates into a desire or ability to continue improving at the collegiate level is or course an x factor but at least the skillset to do so looks to be present.

The fall ball thread looks to confirm the scrimmage against Providence on Oct.13 mentioned by Fann. Hopefully the weather will cooperate enough for him to attend so we can get some more first hand input regarding the prospects for this year's team.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yes, I hope so, and that Mid-Lax will also attend and post about it here. Given how 2019 graduation impacted midfield, I'd think a first-year middie or two could have an impact, with Christian Cropp and other returnees likely in serious contention for more playing time.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

In October 2017 Yale scrimmaged Providence and Colgate the same day (edged Providence by a goal, beat Colgate soundly); if it's Providence and no other team this time, I'd guess they'll play more than 4 quarters. That same month, Yale scrimmaged the Israeli national team... has anyone heard anything about scrimmages in addition to Alumni Day (Oct 12) and Providence (Oct 13)?

Major edit/addition: It is at Providence, with Providence, Stony Brook and Yale; Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium, Yale plays at 2 pm and 4pm, "We have again partnered with Vs. Cancer to help support our dear friends at Hasbro Children's Hospital here is Providence, and we are honored to use the platform of lacrosse to help raise awareness and funds for children who truly need our help." Gabrielli said. Okay, as of now, I will hope for decent traffic on I 95 and plan on making the drive.
Also, happy to ride-share from/to Fairfield County / New Haven area; please let me know if interested.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

So, the Yale Bowl no longer has a natural-grass playing surface. I dunknow.... but maybe with artificial turf the Yale Bowl becomes a stronger candidate to host NCAA lacrosse quarterfinals?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:18 am So, the Yale Bowl no longer has a natural-grass playing surface. I dunknow.... but maybe with artificial turf the Yale Bowl becomes a stronger candidate to host NCAA lacrosse quarterfinals?
Great idea. I have supported qtrs @ Yale Bowl for a long time. It's easy getting there and the age-old environ is a plus.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

To be a candidate the school first has to have a desire to host. Its s not a great venue for the game. I don’t know the state of the structure but when my daughter played fir Yale more than the field was not in great condition, Have they up graded the infrastructure ?

Back then several coaches were not enthusiastic
tech37

Post by tech37 »

OCanada wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:42 am To be a candidate the school first has to have a desire to host. Its s not a great venue for the game. I don’t know the state of the structure but when my daughter played fir Yale more than the field was not in great condition, Have they up graded the infrastructure ?

Back then several coaches were not enthusiastic
Geez OC, new field, and it's not as though blocks of concrete will be falling on people's heads. What are you referring to?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

First the question is would Yale want to host. Nothing matters if they don’t.

The Yale Bowl field at one time had poor drainage. That has almost out certainly been improved. My daughter played her games there.

Funny you should mention falling concrete. Back then a few lacrosse coaches mentioned the state of repair of the infrastructure. My question was geared to has it been improved. I haven’t been there in over 15 years.

The Yale Bowl is enormous. The crowd won’t be. ESPN doesn’t care for that kind of optic but they can skeayd close off a large part of the stadium.

Or is there a different facility the game would be played. in? I don’t know the capacity of Reese. It needs to be in the neighborhood of 30,000 or more with full amenities
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Reese isn't anywhere close to 30,000; roughly 10% of that. The way they laid down the new turf at Reese meant no more sizable bleacher across from the main stand, so capacity may now be below 3,000. For those who haven't been, Reese is literally right next to the Yale Bowl (the ticket office used for Yale football games is located in Reese). Of course you're right, OCanada, Yale would have to want to host and I have no idea if there is that desire. Brown hosted quarterfinals in 2016 (at its football stadium, not its lacrosse facility, if I recall correctly), and this past year there were quarters played in Hartford, CT (technically hosted by Fairfield U, which seemed a wee bit odd to me, but oh well), so there are precedents for playing QFs in New England.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”