Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by stupefied »

Actually not true . Only half of the 26 five stars listed played substantially (think I count ten ) and half (think I count 11 ) seeing limited or hardly any time so JHU wasn't unique 4 were unfortunately injued and one ineligible .Maryland was the only team that played two five stars substantially in Makar and Long. You mention Saustad for UVA but failed to mention the talented Conner who didn't play in half the games or Burkinshaw who has left. Gomez had several good, experienced defenders in front of him unlike Saustad thus greater opportunity that he capitalized on.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:32 pm Actually not true . Only half of the 26 five stars listed played substantially (think I count ten ) and half (think I count 11 ) seeing limited or hardly any time so JHU wasn't unique 4 were unfortunately injued and one ineligible .Maryland was the only team that played two five stars substantially in Makar and Long. You mention Saustad for UVA but failed to mention the talented Conner who didn't play in half the games or Burkinshaw who has left. Gomez had several good, experienced defenders in front of him unlike Saustad thus greater opportunity that he capitalized on.
huh? conner was in constantly. from the get go. burkinshaw was behind another "5 star" in high school, where only one guy can play at a time. cormier was injured. he had won a starting spot in the fall before that happened.
the hopkins defense that gave up 13 goals per game? saustad was their best defender. had ambrosino been back, he would've been on the field.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:32 pm Actually not true . Only half of the 26 five stars listed played substantially (think I count ten ) and half (think I count 11 ) seeing limited or hardly any time so JHU wasn't unique 4 were unfortunately injued and one ineligible .Maryland was the only team that played two five stars substantially in Makar and Long. You mention Saustad for UVA but failed to mention the talented Conner who didn't play in half the games or Burkinshaw who has left. Gomez had several good, experienced defenders in front of him unlike Saustad thus greater opportunity that he capitalized on.
I can't play this game, shooting lazers mounted on sharks while bleeding in the water. Moving the nets so to speak. Now we have define "substantial" ? Or, for that matter, "top tier" schools. Hopkins, had "High Point" like wins over a tinkering coach Tillman's Terps. So what. No one cared that High Point beat Duke and UVA. I don't even consider Hopkins a top tier lacrosse place, any longer. Unless you consider High Point to be top tier. Do you?

Does HOpkins even allow walkons to tryout?
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

This thread took a left turn - it was never a point of mine that Hopkins plays freshmen any more or any less than other programs or that the playing time received or not received by freshmen had anything to do with the record or team performance - even with the caveat that I wished they played Zinn more. The points I tried to make were twofold:
- Hopkins was not that young in 2019 - and will be even less so in 2020
- Aside from one player - the characterization of "good young talent" is a stretch - so far - and is not borne out by any statistical facts. Your 3 sophomore midfielders combined for 25 goals and 22 assists - so 1.5 goals per game and a little less than an 1.5 assists per game. That would be fantastic if those stats were for one player - but they are for 3. In addition - shooting percentage for one of them was 11% and another 17%. A freshman midfielder chipped in for 5 and 4 and another freshman middie gave you 3 and 1 before an injury. Your sophomore goalie was less than 45% save percentage. There was virtually nothing to be seen from underclassmen on the defensive side - other than the aforementioned goalie.

Your sophomore and freshman face-off guys acquitted themselves well and can fit under the label of potential "young" talent.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

ABV, Avoid taking a breathalyzer but do blame it on your inhaler if you must. Im just trying to state the facts to whatever parameters you use or whatever you are trying to get across. Substantial is a term in context of discussion that even a JHU fan should grasp. Petro brought around a not ready five star Zinn just as coach Danowski was doing in practice or game with Leadmon /Caputo or Corrigan with Westlin /Buchman or Tiffany with a supremely talented Conners (yes Conners of the 21 shots). To state that everyone on that list, whether it is the 100 published or the 26 five stars, saw substantial time is simply a falsehood.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

It doesn’t matter what class a player is in just as long as he can play. When a number of players got in late in the season and outperformed the players ahead of them, sometimes by a substantial margin, it was an eye opener. You can run a seniority system but eventually that catches up with you.

I believe there is a workable lineup next season for this team but I have absolutely no confidence in this coaching staff to play it. Just wondering how many people on this board would vote for a contract extension for this group if the decision were left up to us?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:59 pm ABV, Avoid taking a breathalyzer but do blame it on your inhaler if you must. Im just trying to state the facts to whatever parameters you use or whatever you are trying to get across. Substantial is a term in context of discussion that even a JHU fan should grasp. Petro brought around a not ready five star Zinn just as coach Danowski was doing in practice or game with Leadmon /Caputo or Corrigan with Westlin /Buchman or Tiffany with a supremely talented Conners (yes Conners of the 21 shots). To state that everyone on that list, whether it is the 100 published or the 26 five stars, saw substantial time is simply a falsehood.
conner was on the field for the vast majority of 1st midfield runs until the very end of the season. when conrad was tasked with not only taking about every wing, but often carrying the offense after they/he won it. and herring got more time as the 3rd (earned).
conner got 21 shots off because --
1) he had some difficulty getting by his guy for shots.
2) he operated a lot from behind, and when he did get by his guy, he was decent at finding the open guy when he caught a slide.
conners is the lsm.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Walk ons have made the team in the past.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

There is a walk-on currently on the roster. He may never get in a game, but he's a walk-on.
Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:22 pm I believe there is a workable lineup next season for this team but I have absolutely no confidence in this coaching staff to play it.
Besides the midfield, what changes would you make? I was leading the charge for Zinn from the beginning. If you were at a game this year and heard someone yelling to put Zinn in the game, that might have been me. But outside of that one very egregious case I'm not sure what other sweeping changes the staff should be making. You can certainly make the argument they stuck with the goalie for too long but the defense did him no favors.

Moving forward, the attack will be fine—probably more than fine if Epstein has anything to say about it—and faceoffs look okay for the foreseeable future. So that's two areas of the field that won't necessarily keep you up at night. In theory—especially if Foley comes back—the personnel at close D is talented on paper, but they didn't play like it in 2019. They looked fine in 2018. To me, the defensive play falls squarely on the shoulders of Petro. I believe there are some good poles on this team, it's up to Petro to make it work. Of course, a D is only as good as its shorties, so even if he can get those poles to play better together, it won't matter one iota if SSDM doesn't improve. Have to hope and pray that one or two of these two-way middie freshmen can hack it and we get to at least 50% in goal...if those two things happen maybe there's a chance. #32 is good enough to get this team places but he needs some help. When you've got a player like that—something we haven't had in a very long time, if ever—you never really know. Kid very nearly willed the Jays to a Big Ten championship against PSU in a game we probably had no business even being competitive in.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Zinn, Narewski, Coulter , Giacalone. All four should have been playing much earlier than they did. If Narewski has gotten into the Ohio state game it could have changed the outcome and the jays probably get a seed. Instead they inexplicably ran Prouty into the ground. He didn’t win a single draw in the fourth quarter against osu. They converted two poles to SSDMs and barely played either of them. I have a sinking feeling they’re are going to start the same goalie they started last year and stick with him to spite us. 45% is the new normal for save percentage and 13 GAA is our fate for all eternity. Epstein’s talent will be wasted while the staff plays its “favorites” at other positions. What a train wreck.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:37 am Zinn, Narewski, Coulter , Giacalone. All four should have been playing much earlier than they did. If Narewski has gotten into the Ohio state game it could have changed the outcome and the jays probably get a seed. Instead they inexplicably ran Prouty into the ground. He didn’t win a single draw in the fourth quarter against osu. They converted two poles to SSDMs and barely played either of them. I have a sinking feeling they’re are going to start the same goalie they started last year and stick with him to spite us. 45% is the new normal for save percentage and 13 GAA is our fate for all eternity. Epstein’s talent will be wasted while the staff plays its “favorites” at other positions. What a train wreck.
Narewski took 211 faceoffs, including 11 in the very first game and then a whopping 28 in the second game against Loyola. He was very much a factor from the beginning. As far as his midseason lull—including not appearing in the Ohio State game—I am fairly certain he was banged up. He was limping on and off the field against Princeton and didn't look close to 100%. He only took a few draws the next couple of games and then didn't appear against Michigan or Rutgers either—it wasn't just Ohio State. They were not shy about getting him in there when Prouty struggled. If he was an option in that game we would have seen him.

As far as Darby goes—he was right at 50% through the halfway point in the season and had a pretty good game against Michigan to open up Big Ten play. So you're probably not taking him out then. And then I don't think you can blame either of the OSU or (first) PSU losses on him—certainly not the PSU loss. And then you had the debacle against Maryland where somehow we had a nice turtle soup feast despite getting only 2 saves (15%) in goal. At that point, I think, absolutely, you maybe look to the bench. That's a legitimate argument. After the second PSU loss where if we literally get 7 saves instead of 6 (vs. 18 goals allowed) then we win that game, then, sure, someone else probably should have started the Notre Dame game.

I do wonder about McManus—I thought he looked ok at SSDM but they sure did phase him out of the rotation in the second half of the season for whatever reason.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

What's the outlook in terms of the maryland based D1 teams for 2020? I know this is the hopkins thread, but could there be a discussion on the surrounding MD programs with what they're bringing back?

Personally i think in order of magnitude for 2020, my list would be:

1. Maryland
2. Hop
3. Towson
4. Loyola
5. Navy
6. Mount St. Mary's
7. UMBC

Maryland- reloads...again... got a great goalie coming in. Tillman knows how to use the pieces he has to win

Hop- Wonderkid and the surrounding cast comes back as well as some defenseman/LSM's, FO's.
Goalie and SSDM's will need to be developed.

Towson- Woodall and Sunday and Monahan are all gone. But Nadalen gets the most out of his pieces and is always a tough out.

Navy- Has a new HC and a good OC. Maybe they can make noise. They're next two incoming classes are very good.

MSM'- Doesn't get the blue chips, but they had a great season last year and can build upon it.

UMBC- Always has a good defense

Loyola-.... we lost waaaaayyy too much. 2020 will be an adjusting period but maybe they win the PL again. But i expect a loss against Hop next February.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:34 am What's the outlook in terms of the maryland based D1 teams for 2020? I know this is the hopkins thread, but could there be a discussion on the surrounding MD programs with what they're bringing back?

Personally i think in order of magnitude for 2020, my list would be:

1. Maryland
2. Hop
3. Towson
4. Loyola
5. Navy
6. Mount St. Mary's
7. UMBC

Maryland- reloads...again... got a great goalie coming in. Tillman knows how to use the pieces he has to win

Hop- Wonderkid and the surrounding cast comes back as well as some defenseman/LSM's, FO's.
Goalie and SSDM's will need to be developed.

Towson- Woodall and Sunday and Monahan are all gone. But Nadalen gets the most out of his pieces and is always a tough out.

Navy- Has a new HC and a good OC. Maybe they can make noise. They're next two incoming classes are very good.

MSM'- Doesn't get the blue chips, but they had a great season last year and can build upon it.

UMBC- Always has a good defense

Loyola-.... we lost waaaaayyy too much. 2020 will be an adjusting period but maybe they win the PL again. But i expect a loss against Hop next February.
It will be interesting to see what new assistant, Kevin Giblin, can do for recruiting at MSM.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Was really hoping to land the transfer from down Charles Street. Wonder how SU was able to admit him so quickly? Do they have rolling admissions? :lol:

I guess a small part of me is pleased we don't totally bend the rules for a lacrosse player..
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

oldjayfan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:30 pm Was really hoping to land the transfer from down Charles Street. Wonder how SU was able to admit him so quickly? Do they have rolling admissions? :lol:

I guess a small part of me is pleased we don't totally bend the rules for a lacrosse player..
who says that you don't?
DMac

Post by DMac »

oldjayfan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:30 pm Was really hoping to land the transfer from down Charles Street. Wonder how SU was able to admit him so quickly? Do they have rolling admissions? :lol:

Guess you had to figure this kind of garbage was coming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2S1s716R8
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:58 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:45 pm
stupefied wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 pm Break that list down (expand it to all frosh) and you will see that few top tier teams gave numerous frosh substantial playing time. Outside the breakout stars , most saw limited play if at all. Not like top 15 were trotting out many youngsters when players introduced. Dont find fewer number of JHU frosh starting or seeing significant playing time than most other top tier programs. Takes time to adapt and develop.
here's a list from one top tier program that did pretty well:
att - sophomore(set school scoring record)/sophomore /junior
1st mid - senior/junior/ 3rd spot was mostly a mix of a freshman and a senior
2nd mid - freshman/walk on sophomore/freshman/senior
lsm - junior/sophomore
ssdm - senior/sophomore/freshman(until injured)/senior/senior
def - freshman (best close defender)/walk on sophomore/senior
fogo - freshman/junior Lasalla
goalie - sophomore (occasionally backed up by freshman)
Two walkons on this list. Amazing. From what I understand, real walkons (coach doesn't know the players, by name or otherwise)

Has Hopkins ever had a walkon make the team, let alone start or get substantial playing time?

But, in short, yup.......NOT playing freshman seems to be excuse duh joir. Does the coaching staff still enjoy "glassware" ;)
LaSalla was the freshman, not the junior. Schwenk and Brugel were juniors last season.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
a fan

Post by a fan »

If you're really an "oldjayfan", surely you remember John Tucker......

Glass houses.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

hopfan16 wrote:

"Desko offers yet another kid the #22 jersey...and it doesn't sound like he's all that interested. Time to burn that thing."

"The man would give it to any random dude who walked in off the street at this point. Please, won't somebody take the #22 jersey?!!?!?"

Speaking of burning #22? I'm looking forward to seeing #22 burn the Hopkin's defense for the next three years :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:58 pm

Guess you had to figure this kind of garbage was coming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2S1s716R8
Love it!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”