Inside Lacrosse All American List

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wahoomurf

Re: Inside Lacrosse All American List

Post by wahoomurf »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:28 pm D-Chris Fake, So.,Yale vs A-Daniel Bucaro, Sr.,Georgetown.Did Saturday's showdown twixt these two 3rd team AAs, inform the Inside Lacrosse folks selection?Or was this list compiled prior to this past weekend?

Matt Moore UVA, #5 in your program and #1 on the Hoos,2019 tally sheet (to date),is conspicuously missing from this the list. PUZZLIN'. :o

Pleased to see Nick Spillane (PSU) get some well-deserved recognition.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:37 pm 1. What about Chris Fake's season is All-American worthy? 22 GBs and 11 CTs is not especially impressive. Every time I watch Yale he's getting scored on. Bucaro absolutely annihilated him this weekend. Good player who had a great freshman season but that should not automatically qualify you as an AA for life, which is what appears to have happened. These lists are pretty much drawn up before the season starts and only minor adjustments are made based on how guys actually play.

2. Bernhardt is a 3rd teamer but a Tewaaraton finalist? Something here doesn't add up.

3. Two Duke defenders on 1st team seems a bit much. I'd go Van Raaphorst 1st team, Giles-Harris 2nd or 3rd team.

4. Epstein, Wisnauskas, and Morrill all should be 3rd team over Teat, honestly. Probably over Bernhardt too, he's not even leading his own team in points.
George Baughan (Princeton) was the best defender in the league.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
It aint over yet

Post by It aint over yet »

Nitchern attackman from Army should be honorable mention Granted he didn’t have any points against UPenn but he certainly showed up in the Patriot Conference tourney unlike two UMass players who are on 1st team and got smoked by a team( Drexel ) who came into the game with a losing record! Tough list to make when spots are limited but on the flip side USLIA has far too many All American nods in my opinion
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Trying to eliminate this redundant post....help.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:28 pm
:shock: :? :o :oops:
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:28 pm
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:37 pm 4. Epstein, Wisnauskas, and Morrill all should be 3rd team over Teat, honestly. Probably over Bernhardt too, he's not even leading his own team in points.
Points aren't everything. Bernhardt is excellent at breaking down defenses and getting them sliding.
Live Free or Die!
tech37

Post by tech37 »

No Mathias from Penn :oops:

Didn't he have 4 goals vs Surdick?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:35 pm No Mathias from Penn :oops:

Terrific player and leader.

But he's 40th in the NCAA in points per game.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... vidual/221

I'm disturbed by Matt Moore, UVA's top scorer, who is 18th, not making this list. Brendan Sunday at 14th.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Terrific player and leader.

But he's 40th in the NCAA in points per game.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... vidual/221

I'm disturbed by Matt Moore, UVA's top scorer, who is 18th, not making this list. Brendan Sunday at 14th.
The field of attackmen is just loaded this year....Chris Gray is the nation's best kept secret. Terrific.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Just to be sure, only one of those goals would you say Surdick was truly covering Mathias, the 8th goal of the game, where Mathias did an inside swim when Surdick overcommitted. The 7th goal of the game, Surdick was covering, but Mathias was running across the front of practically the restraining line when he ripped, but #11 for Army was blocking Baretto's view hence the goal. Surdick was taken out of the move by one of his fellow shorties.

The #'s 10 and 12th goals of the game, both scored by Mathias, Surdick was not defending his man; #10 goal was a fastbreak, and #12 Surdick had slid to another attackman.

Surdick is IMO the best defender in the country.

That said, I really like Mathias' vision and speed.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Question?? Is a grad-transfer eligible to be an AA? I ask because I saw DU's Jack Neufelt play every game this season and he didn't even make honorable mention.. He was phenomenal. I doubt he cares for he's getting a master's in the exact field of study he desires, International Security.
Typical Lax Dad

Dunker wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:44 pm Question?? Is a grad-transfer eligible to be an AA? I ask because I saw DU's Jack Neufelt play every game this season and he didn't even make honorable mention.. He was phenomenal. I doubt he cares for he's getting a master's in the exact field of study he desires, International Security.
It's Matt Neufelt and I am not sure why he would not be considered. I heard he had a terrific year. What is crazy is that nobody mentioned Ethan Walker.....that is how stacked the field is at attack.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Don't know why UMASS is catching richocet shots on this thread. It's a team game, so no reason that losing to Drexel should disqualify them from having two players on the first team. Especially since both of those players were on the defensive side of the field -- UMASS had one of the best defenses in the country. Paparo had 7 goals and 28 CT. Sconone led the country in save percentage by a reasonable margin. Seem like fair choices and a rare case of IL looking beyond the top teams and finding the true diamonds in the rough.
It aint over yet

First team selection should be held for those players who’s entire year was played at the highest level. There are some 2,500 D one lacrosse players many who have/are playing great lacrosse. It’s not a slight against UMass to say their 2 players are not 1st teamers due to the fact you are suppose to be playing some of your best lacrosse at the end of the year. Fact is UMass lost at home to a team with a losing record in a must win game. UMass defense could not contain Drexel’s offense in the 1st half jumped out to a big lead or contain them in the second half to garner a must win! Regardless of the team if your are not playing best lax especially in big games I do not think 1st Team All American fits!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

It aint over yet wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 am
UMass defense could not contain Drexel’s offense in the 1st half jumped out to a big lead or contain them in the second half to garner a must win
The Mailman delivers 8-)
It aint over yet

Drexel’s Connor Mailman will be fun player to watch next year ! He will be on the radar for Honorable mention all American midfielder
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

It aint over yet wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 am First team selection should be held for those players who’s entire year was played at the highest level. There are some 2,500 D one lacrosse players many who have/are playing great lacrosse.
There are over 2500+ total players in D1, however, the average team plays an average of 20-25 players per game, so the pool of players earning real time is closer a 1000. Of that group, maybe a couple of hundred players, tops, are even close to being AA.
random observer

Post by random observer »

It aint over yet wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 am First team selection should be held for those players who’s entire year was played at the highest level. There are some 2,500 D one lacrosse players many who have/are playing great lacrosse. It’s not a slight against UMass to say their 2 players are not 1st teamers due to the fact you are suppose to be playing some of your best lacrosse at the end of the year. Fact is UMass lost at home to a team with a losing record in a must win game. UMass defense could not contain Drexel’s offense in the 1st half jumped out to a big lead or contain them in the second half to garner a must win! Regardless of the team if your are not playing best lax especially in big games I do not think 1st Team All American fits!
So you're going to let one game overrule the entire season? The UMass goalie led the nation in save% by several % points. You can make a case that there were other guys (such as Stover) who were also deserving of first team honors, but I don't think you can make the inverse case that Sconone was not deserving of that status; anytime the guy on the first team is the guy who was statistically the best (and over the course of the season, his GAA was also at or near the top of the country), the selection seems to at least be above abject scrutiny.

As for Paparo, he had 2 CT, 3 GBs and an assist in that final game. Certainly a quality performance. As an LSM, he can't cover for all 5 other guys on the defensive side of the field.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Anybody who claims that Paparo and Sconone didn't deserve 1st team AA, has apparently never seen them play. That is tough for me to admit because I HATE UMass. So that is about as unbiased an opinion as you can possibly get.

I didn't see a more dominating goalie or LSM all season and I watched at least 5-6 games every week. Loyola fans will argue for Stover and they have every right too. Stover was awesome too and very clutch at times, so I am not discounting his success. But he just was not consistently the game changer that Scanone was IMO.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”