2019 Tewaaraton Finalists

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: 2019 Tewaaraton Finalists

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:03 pm
thatsmell wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:02 pm Sowers is fun to watch. So is Ament. But it’s not their year. Spencer has been a beast and personal highlight reel all season long. Being in the top 3 all-time scoring gives Pat the Tewy.
Practically speaking I think this is right. Barring something crazy (Spencer gets shutout and Ament does something akin to one of the late aughts Cuse championship teams who seemed to have one guy transcend to mythlike level (Abbott, Levelle, etc), this seems to have drifted to a little bit of a career achievement award with so many more FR and Sophs playing at such a level these days. In two years it might be Teat, Gray and a couple of underclassmen and one of the seniors will win.
In a couple of years, Teat will be a pro. He is a junior this year.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

Anyone see Conrad play today?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Yes ;)
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

It’s amazing that a 1g 9a day for Ament was second fiddle in the box score. :shock: Congrats to Spencer for an amazing year and an amazing career. He rewrote the record books and was an absolute blast to watch! A generational talent.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Spencer is high stepping! Done ! His award. However, several others w great years.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Ament and Conrad certainly are deserving, and obviously one doesn't have a chance, but the award can't be taken seriously without both Rabil and Spencer's names on the trophy. One is almost undoubtedly the best player in the last 19 years, and the other is arguably the second best. Spencer has to win it, or it needs to be downgraded to the tournament mvp trophy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Alright no doubt spencer is a elite and legendary college player and understand the lobbying to bolster but even not really thinking hard I feel like that is a pretty tough statement to back up. I don’t know how to take the time to really do it even though it’d be fun but he’d have competition I’d think from Parnell, seibald, Harrison, doc schneider, all the Powell’s (Everyone seems to think Miley was the best but I’m still holding onto Ryan possibly just because of the 1997 Cuse-Hobart game at the dome), Rambo, that sharp lefty joe darn I forgot from MD, massa, A smith, Brodie Merrill, and on and on. Even if this is a tewarraton forum limiting the focus a lot positionally, saying with any confidence that spencer is the second best player in two decades feel like recency bias.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:28 pm Alright no doubt spencer is a elite and legendary college player and understand the lobbying to bolster but even not really thinking hard I feel like that is a pretty tough statement to back up. I don’t know how to take the time to really do it even though it’d be fun but he’d have competition I’d think from Parnell, seibald, Harrison, doc schneider, all the Powell’s (Everyone seems to think Miley was the best but I’m still holding onto Ryan possibly just because of the 1997 Cuse-Hobart game at the dome), Rambo, that sharp lefty joe darn I forgot from MD, massa, A smith, Brodie Merrill, and on and on. Even if this is a tewarraton forum limiting the focus a lot positionally, saying with any confidence that spencer is the second best player in two decades feel like recency bias.
I think only 1 Powell was around during the Tewaaraton era. Agreed, that's why I said it is arguable, not certain.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Fair enough and maybe he is, I think I’d find some other 2, but open to discussion just seeing a lot of over the top and specious arguments lately to separate Spencer from ament. It’s just whatever the committee wants to do. Neither one would be wrong
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
a fan

Post by a fan »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:22 pm Ament and Conrad certainly are deserving, and obviously one doesn't have a chance, but the award can't be taken seriously without both Rabil and Spencer's names on the trophy. One is almost undoubtedly the best player in the last 19 years, and the other is arguably the second best.
Lyle Thompson?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yeah, I'd say that T Award winner X2 puts a little doubt in that "almost undoubtedly" part.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

After watching the game PSU /Loyola Game, came away with I am watching two different flavors of the same game.

Spencer is a Strong IPA how can you not say Spencer is not an or "The" outstanding after that performance. The man carried that team unfortunately his team mates didn't lighten his load.

Ament was more of a smooth maltier Irish Red, he stirred the drink and keep his team mates flowing. He was a Presence but he wasn't thee Presence like
Spencer and had a lot of help from OKeefe. But he has 2 more chances to build on his resume. Since I'm not exactly sure the criteria I still give the edge to the person with the Championship.

Td and Conrad had nice resumes builder not sure if its going to be enough.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rob Pannell?
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

DMac wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:42 am Yeah, I'd say that T Award winner X2 puts a little doubt in that "almost undoubtedly" part.
Good point! He was great and thankfully he was recognized and rewarded for it.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:17 pm It’s amazing that a 1g 9a day for Ament was second fiddle in the box score. :shock: Congrats to Spencer for an amazing year and an amazing career. He rewrote the record books and was an absolute blast to watch! A generational talent.

I feel hesitant in some way to echo this post since I'm a bona fide Loyola fan, but in no universe is this year's Tewey a 'close' call. It has zero to do with homerism or anything, if you played lacrosse, you see what his impact was. Ament is a great player too, but Spencer is simply a cut above all others.

I'm a little bummed that he had three low scoring games this season; without those three anomalies, he'd be #1 in all-time points. With today's game, with the speed and strength conditioning that goes on, for him to be able to bulldoze defenders (except one...looking at you, Johnny Surdick), that's incredible.

Looking forward to him and Sam Apuzzo of BC getting richly deserved season ending awards. And if I'm incorrect, that wouldn't take anything away from Pat's remarkable career.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Even if TD dominates this weekend and Yale wins it giving him this award over Ament and especially Spencer would be criminal. Want to make this award pointless from now on? That's how you can.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:14 am
I feel hesitant in some way to echo this post since I'm a bona fide Loyola fan, but in no universe is this year's Tewey a 'close' call. It has zero to do with homerism or anything, if you played lacrosse, you see what his impact was. Ament is a great player too, but Spencer is simply a cut above all others.
Amen (no t) brother!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:01 pm
Amen (no t) brother!
Sometimes what they’ll do is they’ll split the difference.
Depending on how PSU does, Spencer could get the Tewaaraton and Ament gets the USILA award.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:51 pm Even if TD dominates this weekend and Yale wins it giving him this award over Ament and especially Spencer would be criminal. Want to make this award pointless from now on? That's how you can.
Rest easy, there is zero percent chance this goes to Ierlan and >95% it goes to Spencer.
New2lax

Post by New2lax »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:06 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:01 pm
Amen (no t) brother!
Sometimes what they’ll do is they’ll split the difference.
Depending on how PSU does, Spencer could get the Tewaaraton and Ament gets the USILA award.
[/
This award is given to honor the “Most Outstanding College Lacrosse Player” I think “Outstanding” is comprised of many different things. Yesterday there was a post on Twitter that said it all. (As a man was leaving the stadium yesterday he said he overheard a boy say to his father, “Dad I want to go to Loyola, and I want to be the next Pat Spencer”.). That is what it is all about! This morning my son sent me a text and said on radio station 93.1 WMZQ they were giving Pat his props. They said he was a legend and an end of an era at Loyola, they wished him the best. My son, however, said the most awesome thing was to hear how much they said he has helped to grow the game.
OUTSTANDING :)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”