B1G 10 Conference Championship - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

Post by wlaxnut »

The tournament is hosted by Johns Hopkins at Homewood Field this year

Semifinals - Friday, May 3rd - BTN Network

#1 Maryland vs #4 Penn State - 5pm

#2 Northwestern vs #3 Michigan - 7:30pm

Final - Sunday, May 5th - BTN Network - 12pm

#1 Maryland vs Northwestern or Michigan

I know, I know—the current standings show Johns Hopkins ahead of Penn State. Technically nothing is clinched yet. But Penn State owns the tie-break with their win over JHU last week. The only way the Blue Jays get in is if Penn State loses at home to Rutgers AND Hop goes into Maryland and ends the Terps 80 plus game home winning streak, and their own decades long streak of futility vs Maryland (0-17).

(“Uh—hullo, Mr. Vegasman? Can I get some odds on JHU going into Maryland and beating the Terps? What are you laughing at??” *!CLICK!* “Hullo? Hullo??”)

Even if they both lose their last conference games—Penn State owns the tie-break. And what will make the whole matter moot anyway, I do think Penn State will handle Rutgers at home next Saturday morning and clinch the honorable way. So, I went out on a limb and went ahead with the final seedings.

Maryland should handle Penn State pretty easily in the first semi, though I hope the Nittany Lions play their guts out and exit with pride. I find this team very enjoyable to watch these days. Maria Auth especially. She’s getting hot at the right time, scoring 16 goals in their last 4 games. https://youtu.be/V3hevZX6cHE

The 2nd semi should be very competitive. Michigan played Northwestern last week in Northwestern and gave them a real run for their money. If they didn’t choke down the stretch they may well have won. They all know how they played after they held a 2 goal lead with just under 12 minutes left in the 2nd half (5 turnovers in the last 7 minutes) and blew an opportunity. Now they get another shot, at a neutral site. I have no idea what happens here. On paper the Wildcats should win, and they very well might. But I give Michigan a shot if they can keep their poise during crunch time. They may be a year or two early before they can really stand up to Northwestern or Maryland, but they have been defying the odds all season, so—we shall see.

I give Northwestern a shot against Maryland if they reach the final. Same thing with the Wildcats—they had a really tight struggle going against the Terps earlier this month before the lightning started flashing and they moved the game indoors. It was all Maryland from there on.

Same with Michigan—I give them a shot against Maryland, (albeit a very slim one) if they do get by Northwestern. They can’t possibly play any worse than they did against them back 2 weeks ago in Maryland. Their confidence will be high if they get by the Wildcats.

After the Big 10—NU and Michigan could make some noise in The Tournament. But that’s looking too far down the road for now.
wlaxnut

Re: B1G 10 Conference Championship - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

Post by wlaxnut »

This is shaping up to be a predictable tournament. Maryland beats Penn State handily. Northwestern beats Michigan. Maryland beats Northwestern. Duke beating Notre Dame in the ACC quarters gives me hope that maybe we could see something similar with Michigan/Northwestern or Northwestern/Maryland.

I’m almost hoping Penn State loses to Rutgers Saturday early afternoon so the late afternoon game between Johns Hopkins and Maryland will create a little win-and-in drama for JHU even though they’ll still lose.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

The Maryland Invitational. In Baltimore this year.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:56 am The Maryland Invitational. In Baltimore this year.
Ha! Well put.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:06 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:56 am The Maryland Invitational. In Baltimore this year.
Ha! Well put.
A little unfair; the B1G seems a little weak this year, with The OSU down, Penn State losing Carter, JHU not making it over the hump....But the reality seems to be that there are three teams ranging from excellent to very good in Maryland, Northwestern and Michigan.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Very much appreciate your putting these schedules up, wlaxnut.
I'll miss the 5 o'clock game.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:10 pm Very much appreciate your putting these schedules up, wlaxnut.
I'll miss the 5 o'clock game.
https://youtu.be/V5tgZqBhHkk
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

It's likely that it'll be Penn St. that gets the nod for the 4th seed.

Maryland should get into the B1GT final, but I agree that Northwestern/Michigan will be a really interesting game which could go either way. I know that the Wildcats gave the Terps a battle and that could make for a fun final, even though I think Maryland probably has a slight edge (might as well be a home game for them).

Question is, does Johns Hopkins have a shot at the NCAAT should they not get in for the B1GT?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:12 pm It's likely that it'll be Penn St. that gets the nod for the 4th seed.

Let's just say it--it's a sure thing. Whether or not Penn State wins at home vs Rutgers, no way JHU (0-17 lifetime vs Terps) goes into Maryland and ends their 80+ home game winning streak.

Question is, does Johns Hopkins have a shot at the NCAAT should they not get in for the B1GT?
According to this article, JHU looks good to get in at this point. Losing to Maryland will only help because it's a "good loss".

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... got-longer
BigRedMachine

Post by BigRedMachine »

by seacoaster » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:02 pm

wlaxnut wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:06 am

seacoaster wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:56 am

Ha! Well put.

A little unfair; the B1G seems a little weak this year, with The OSU down, Penn State losing Carter, JHU not making it over the hump....But the reality seems to be that there are three teams ranging from excellent to very good in Maryland, Northwestern and Michigan.
FYI the B1G tournament is being hosted by Hopkins (which is located in Baltimore) not at College Park (a suburb of Washington DC). Penn State is more than likely the 4th participant (but anything can happen like Duke beating the Irish and, thus, securing the elusive NCAA bid). I don't see them making hay against the Terp's, just not enough firepower (Maria Auth is not going to single handidly pull them through). I don't see Michigan getting past Northwestern but if they do, see the Penn State explanation above for why they lose to Maryland. Personally I'd prefer a NU-UMD match-up because it would be a much better game and better for their respective RPI"s. I've been impressed with Northwestern's offense this year. Amonte-Hiller is finally adjusting to the shot clock era and knows you can't win with draw controls and defense alone.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

BigRedMachine wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:51 pm
by seacoaster » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:02 pm

wlaxnut wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:06 am

seacoaster wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:56 am
FYI the B1G tournament is being hosted by Hopkins (which is located in Baltimore) not at College Park (a suburb of Washington DC).

Seacoaster made that distinction. No misinformation to see here (apart from yours).
BigRedMachine

Post by BigRedMachine »

Ok, so it’s the state of Maryland invitational not the University of Maryland’s. Got it but trying to figure out how it’s unfair. Most conferences rotate hosting duties each year.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

BigRedMachine wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:22 pm Ok, so it’s the state of Maryland invitational not the University of Maryland’s. Got it but trying to figure out how it’s unfair. Most conferences rotate hosting duties each year.
He wasn't making a comment as to the location being fair or unfair--rather a witty observation that Maryland is the superior team in the tournament and should win.
BigRedMachine

Post by BigRedMachine »

Not the first time I've misread a post and I'm sure not the last. Anybody know a good way to season crow?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

BigRedMachine wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:03 am Not the first time I've misread a post and I'm sure not the last. Anybody know a good way to season crow?
From the many times I’ve had to eat it, I’d say down the hatch—the quicker the better. That way the taste doesn’t linger as long. But if you hear of any good recipes—let me know. 😉
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Welp—on to the Big 10 Tournament. Go Penn State! Go Michigan! Go Northwestern!

Is it Friday yet?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Early weather forecasts have rain, thunder and lightning for Friday with temps in the high 70s.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Still thunderstorms in the forecast for late afternoon. Rats! as Charlie Brown was wont to say.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

“Rat Farts!” as Spaulding Smails was wont to say.
Turtles Lax

No worries!

Post by Turtles Lax »

Terrapins have shells...no problem(s) in rain. 8-)

TL might have a bad hair day, but TL’s Laxchix will be just fine. Play on!

Peace, out.

TL

wlaxnut wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:22 am Still thunderstorms in the forecast for late afternoon. Rats! as Charlie Brown was wont to say.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”