ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Re: ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I know it isn't Virginia's night. But Syracuse's offense is really playing beautifully against a zone. The ball movement, skips, etc., are just really nice to watch.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Madlax59 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:17 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:06 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:58 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:49 am Syracuse over UVA 15-14.

BC over Notre Dame 13-12.

Can't wait.
Wow, am thinking along the same lines. UVA looked mighty good to me in their last game (v UNC) and I didn't think Cuse was at their finest in theirs (1 of 4 on FPSs, out GBed by 5, just missed GBs they normally don't), gonna have to sharpen their edge in this one. Maddy Baxter's gotta score three goals and the rest do what they normally do.
Yup, BC by 1, #14 scores the winner. Sets up a beauty for the final.
Well, so far it's lookin' like we're right on the money.
Why put the starting goalie back in?? Do they really think in that short time she would be able to shake it off and find her composure??
Draw controls by Cuse v UVA wowowo
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 pm

Can't wait.
Wow, am thinking along the same lines. UVA looked mighty good to me in their last game (v UNC) and I didn't think Cuse was at their finest in theirs (1 of 4 on FPSs, out GBed by 5, just missed GBs they normally don't), gonna have to sharpen their edge in this one. Maddy Baxter's gotta score three goals and the rest do what they normally do.
Why put the starting goalie back in?? Do they really think in that short time she would be able to shake it off and find her composure??
I don't think this is about this game; it is about telling Josephson that "we believe in you."
Well she prob felt like she let team down in 1st half. Now shes going in and if she gives up another 10 then hows her confidence??
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Madlax59 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:41 pm

Can't wait.
I don't think this is about this game; it is about telling Josephson that "we believe in you."
Well she prob felt like she let team down in 1st half. Now shes going in and if she gives up another 10 then hows her confidence??
I get what you're saying. But the only thing I can think is that the staff's message to her is "What the heck, we all had a bad night; stay in there. You're our Keeper." They have a tournament ahead of them still.
LaxUpstate

Post by LaxUpstate »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:46 pm

Can't wait.
I get what you're saying. But the only thing I can think is that the staff's message to her is "What the heck, we all had a bad night; stay in there. You're our Keeper." They have a tournament ahead of them still.
Goalie parent here. UVA defense has done nothing to help their goalie. Most Syracuse shooters have had free hands when shooting. That is a terrible spot to be in as a goalie in this game. There are a couple that she should have had, but for the most part, this is just a perfect game for Syracuse shooters. Every other aspect of this game has also been near perfect for Syracuse
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Interesting commentary about playing time and getting starters out- for SU. Going to be 80 in Cary Sunday. ND and BC are not used to playing in heat, let alone warmth.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

LaxUpstate wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:56 pm

Can't wait.
Goalie parent here. UVA defense has done nothing to help their goalie. Most Syracuse shooters have had free hands when shooting. That is a terrible spot to be in as a goalie in this game. There are a couple that she should have had, but for the most part, this is just a perfect game for Syracuse shooters. Every other aspect of this game has also been near perfect for Syracuse
Concur with all that.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Can't wait.
[/quote

UVA defense looked a step behind all evening.
ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

tothedraw wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:00 pm

Can't wait.
[/quote

UVA defense looked a step behind all evening.
The Laminicca era and the superstar freshman , wow
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

Is Syracuse the favorite to win it all after this performance? UVA is no joke and has some very impressive wins this year (ND, BC, JMU).. this was definately Syracuse's best performance of the season. Peaking at the right time? Head coach of SU looking really skinny too hope all is well with the K-Train
DMac

Post by DMac »

Have seen KT several times this year from not so far away and she looks very fit, looks as if she could step out on the field and go 60 minutes today to me.
belleoftheball

Post by belleoftheball »

thedisciple516 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:48 am Is Syracuse the favorite to win it all after this performance? UVA is no joke and has some very impressive wins this year (ND, BC, JMU).. this was definately Syracuse's best performance of the season. Peaking at the right time? Head coach of SU looking really skinny too hope all is well with the K-Train
They're definitely up there and I can't wait to see what they do against BC tomorrow. Have to say UVA's D was very poor whereas I was super impressed by BC defensively, totally choked the ND players for a full 60.

It was also a vintage Belle Smith performance, if she didn't look herself at the start of the season she is definitely back now!

Another factor will be managing emotions, SU just got a blow out win but now have to refocus. I'm sure they will with KT at the helm! Get the popcorns.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cuse's game wasn't all about the O either, and this isn't the first game this season they've completely shut a team down. They're a very stingy group. Once again two good teams, should be another good one....one of these days Cuse is gonna get over the hump and beat BC (see UVA-UNC).
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Thinking about tomorrow's final....

I was really impressed with BC's game-long intensity on defense. BC held ND's Big Three to five goals (and thus, ND only scored 7 total). Big accomplishment.

Syracuse generally has a more balanced attack and moves the ball better than ND, so the task for BC will be different, if not harder.

BC will compete better on the draw than UVA did. BC has a better offense, generally speaking, than UVA.

BC kids are more battle tested and better equipped to manage the emotion of a final, and a return to the field soon after an important win and compete.

I'm not sure that Syracuse can meet that standard again; they just had everyone and everything firing last night. I am reluctant to believe that BC will not be better at disrupting the Syracuse offense.

Which of these teams gets better goalie play tomorrow??

I have a feeling BC eeks out a win here, much as it pains me to think it. Might come down to the Corned Beef platter in beautiful Liverpool, NY.

Oh, and postscript: that was as entertaining a Friday evening of lacrosse as I have sat on my sorry brains and watched. NCAA semifinal caliber performances all over the field.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I saved some of the corned beef for the lunch time Final tomorrow....fresh pumpernickel, kraut, russian, and swiss. Jus' sayin'. Oh, got some more Yuengling too.
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

Catching up with the games and on here due to work (gotta love the long shifts). Gonna try to hit my thoughts on all of them so far if anyone cares (you probably don’t)

Syracuse vs Louisville- cuse looked in control the entire game, but Louisville offense looked incredibly talented and sad to see Kokoro (spelling?) and Pieroni careers end. Cuse defense was swarming but I felt for Coach Teeter who you can hear calling for the 3 second calls and not getting them. Why doesn’t everyone start in zone and see how the refs are going to call the game?

UNC vs UVA- UNC biggest issue is their lack of trust in any of their goalies. They are saving it at a high 30% mark. I’m surprised that Betty Nelson hasn’t had more of an impact on the season. Good for UVA to get vanquish the Tar Heel Monkey of their back. Kiki Shaw is such an underrated player. Unc look at the end was wide open and the kid just shot it to the goalies stomach. Fun game to watch!

Clemson vs ND- Clemson has to hate the last 5 minutes of the first half. Props to them for not rolling over after that disastrous ending. Their goalie was incredible and their young kids on offense did a good job. Clearing by the defense did them in. Jackie Wolak has to be a finalist for the teweeraton, she elevates everyone around her. I thought the draw fight between the two teams was really fun to watch. That’s when the draw is fun to watch in this game.

Duke vs BC- I mean come on…that was embarrassing.

Day 1 Thoughts- overall, it was a decent day of lacrosse. I think lacrosse in general has a ref problem and if that was the best of the best, we are in for a very controversial NCAA tournament. Too much gray area and no consistency.

DAY 2
Cuse vs UVA- cuse looked like the best team in the country in their demolition of UVA. The attack is so talented and if they can get the saves they should have, they are going to be scary come Memorial Day Weekend. For UVA- they just gotta chalk it up to a bad day and hope for the best come tourney time.

BC vs ND- really a sloppy game between both teams. Notre Dame offensive plan was stupefying and it looked like they had zero flow with Wolak in the FG. Dolce came up big when she needed too, but BC will need their big 3 on offense to be a bit sharper when they take on the Orange. ND is not a serious contender for the title in my opinion.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

belleoftheball wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:22 am
thedisciple516 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:48 am Is Syracuse the favorite to win it all after this performance? UVA is no joke and has some very impressive wins this year (ND, BC, JMU).. this was definately Syracuse's best performance of the season. Peaking at the right time? Head coach of SU looking really skinny too hope all is well with the K-Train
Another factor will be managing emotions, SU just got a blow out win but now have to refocus. I'm sure they will with KT at the helm!
Let's face it--Kayla Treanor hasn't proved much with Syracuse yet. Has she steered her team to some great regular seasons with the toughest schedules? Yes. Has she coached big regular season wins? Yes. But the Treanor Orange have yet to solve BC. They also have yet to prove they can play with poise in postseason crunch time. They may very well win Sunday. I would say they're the favorite. But their two previous cakewalks will NOT prepare them for BC. We shall see. Either way--winning the ACC title will be the highlight of 2024 for whichever team wins it. It's year 2 of the Wildcats unless they beat themselves.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Good summaries
Cuse is not as good as they looked and uva is obviously not as bad. That looked like the uva that played Duke earlier this season…or the uva that got demolished by unc in the 2022 ncaa tourney.

Bcs defense impressed me last night. After looking pedestrian against uva in a loss two weeks ago, they looked like world beaters yesterday against an nd offense that had been very high scoring. Bc offense looked out of sorts but had enough to get it done. Aww out coached halfpenny. The aggressive “deny” ride towards the end of the game flustered notre dame and was a look bc hadn’t shown before.

I think bc wins against cuse. They are rounding into form and will do enough at the draw circle to keep possessions close….and they have too many weapons for cuse to keep out of double digits. Conversely, I think bcs defense will be very effective against cuse and they can always go to a strong man defense which uva tried and failed at. Final score 12-9.
DMac

Post by DMac »

She's proven to have the presence of command to be a pretty darn good young coach whose players respect and listen to her though, hasn't she?
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:22 am She's proven to have the presence of command to be a pretty darn good young coach whose players respect and listen to her though, hasn't she?
Who are you talking about?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”